Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone know anything about the kuhn rikon ecomatic line?

edit: this http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Ec...+rikon+ecomatic

too bad it only comes in 6 qt. :(

Got word back from Kuhn rikon america. The ecomatic is a cooker that was designed by Kuhn Switzerland for manufacture in India. It has been discontinued, they will however honour the 5 year warranty. So its take the risk on this, take the risk on a fagor duo (modernist cuisine recommended and cooks illustrated winner, possible bankruptcy of company), or get the stainless presto with modern pressure system (not jiggler).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I bought a budget juicer once and it suffered from poor extraction and clogged a lot. As cliche as it sounds, I think you would be better served waiting and saving for a better one.

What sort of price range should I be looking at to get something decent?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
When I had a juicer available to me I stopped using it after a few times because I realized that I was spending a lot of money on fruit juice compared to just buying the juice itself. It takes a lot of oranges to fill a glass with OJ.

I'd sooner buy a blender or something and start making smoothies from frozen fruit and (preferably homemade) yogurt. Fresh fruits are good for this too, and you won't be wasting all the pulp/solids.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, economically speaking you might as well just buy the juice unless you want to spend a ton of money on produce. Or yeah, get a nice blender and do the smoothie thang.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Yeah go for a blender, more useful. Everything you need to make smoothies can either be kept frozen, powdered, or has a long shelf life. So you won't need to worry about spoilage and can cut down on how many store runs you need to do.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Alright all, thank you for the advice. I guess I'm getting a blender. Is there a recommended one to go to? Preferably one that doesn't take up too much space on the shelf.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I ruined the handle on the top of the crockpot we always use (this one: http://amzn.com/B004P2NG0K) and I want to replace the entire setup with something similar or better. We really liked the timer options and size of the old one so those are minimum. A quick look over this thread I didn't notice anything that jumped out crockpot wise, so what is everyone's suggestion?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Virtue posted:

Alright all, thank you for the advice. I guess I'm getting a blender. Is there a recommended one to go to? Preferably one that doesn't take up too much space on the shelf.

If your budget's $100, get the Ninja
If your budget's $200, get the Breville Hemisphere (use 20% off coupon at Bed Bath Beyond)
If your budget's $400, get a Vitamix (refurbs available for $330)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Got my Borner v-slicer yesterday. Holy cow is that thing sharp! It's seriously like a scalpel on the blade. Can't wait to dice some veggies up with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the blood offering.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Reminder: there's one week left to get on the Searzall kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708738346/the-searzall

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

mod sassinator posted:

Got my Borner v-slicer yesterday. Holy cow is that thing sharp! It's seriously like a scalpel on the blade. Can't wait to dice some veggies up with it.

Mine's not coming until probably like next friday if I'm lucky. Canada. :(

Even with international shipping it was a great deal though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Virtue posted:

What sort of price range should I be looking at to get something decent?

about this much

I believe that was the goon-recommended juicer earlier in the thread. 2 of the 3 people I know that have them have no complaints and the 3rd gave up on juicing pretty quickly. It's overkill if you just want a glass of OJ but probably worth it if you're going to make veggie juices a major part of your diet.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
The Kitchenaid Pro 600 referred to in the OP is one of the well-constructed ones, right? I remember you guys saying that they've started using inferior parts in the cheaper models over the past decade. It looks like the ones on amazon are still oddly overpriced so I figured I'd go with Costco, but this is the only Kitchenaid I see on the their site: http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%C2%AE-Professional-6-Qt-Mixer.product.11754601.html

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This one? It was already on my wishlist, hurray, hopefully I get it for Christmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG4

Have you ever used Hawkins pressure cookers?
It's that handle. For some reason, they switched to this new handle that's more squishy and ~*ergonomic*~ but utter and complete poo poo. I have that same style of handle on the stainless steel one we have at work (because induction stoves require it), and it's a complete and utter piece of poo poo.

Don't buy Hawkins. You will curse the lid from here to hell and back.

Thoht posted:

Wait, what? Did I miss something?
Divorce. :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If anyone is fed up with their can opener, check out the EZ DUZ IT opener. Picked one up recently and really like it a lot. The cutting action is super smooth and takes very little effort.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the reminder, been meaning to order one of those.

For anyone not aware, that's apparently what was the original Swingaway, before they started making them all crappy and cheap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

quote:

Q: How long does the Searzall take to cook something?

A: That depends. We usually sear steaks from 1-2 minutes per side. Foie gras is done in under 30 seconds per side. Bread toasts in 30 seconds or less. The Searzall's heat is powerful,but its cone is small. You won't use it to sear 50 steaks at once, but you'll love it for two or three at a time. We have put out a plated dinner for twelve using 2 Searzalls (double fisting).

I honestly don't understand. why would anyone want this? why not just use a broiler or a pan?

loving 1-2 minutes per side, per food-item, waving around a giant gaudy blowtorch+attachment - are you kidding me?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Comic posted:

When I had a juicer available to me I stopped using it after a few times because I realized that I was spending a lot of money on fruit juice compared to just buying the juice itself. It takes a lot of oranges to fill a glass with OJ.

I'd sooner buy a blender or something and start making smoothies from frozen fruit and (preferably homemade) yogurt. Fresh fruits are good for this too, and you won't be wasting all the pulp/solids.

Juicing is better for vegetables and health drinks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I honestly don't understand. why would anyone want this? why not just use a broiler or a pan?

loving 1-2 minutes per side, per food-item, waving around a giant gaudy blowtorch+attachment - are you kidding me?

1. Some of us have lovely broilers

2. Some foods don't do well in a pan

3. Sometimes you wanna touch up a sear in case a skillet didn't get every part

4. You can see the progress of the sear and make judgement calls

5. It's loving fun

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

Do you really not see how this might be useful? Obviously it's not going to replace your pan and broiler, but nobody ever expected it to...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love a cast iron pan for searing, but I'm guessing this will help me get the a more even sear, plus it might not heat the meat as deeply so you'll get less of a gray zone.

edit: to say nothing about delicate stuff like fish.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Apply high, dry, even, maillard-level heat to any piece of food you want, whenever you want, wherever you want, without cooking it much, with no warm-up time... what a useless piece of crap!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 21, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

+1 mindphlux team, I don't really think it would add much to what I already have. may play with getting a steel grid to make a fake upside down one out of my 185k BTU wok burner though.

I find it interesting that they use propane instead of MAPP PRO.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

+1 mindphlux team, I don't really think it would add much to what I already have. may play with getting a steel grid to make a fake upside down one out of my 185k BTU wok burner though.

I don't know - it seems like for touching stuff up alone it justifies its existence.

I also end up with lovely thin little on-sale cuts of pork/beef and this would be a very nice way not to overcook them.

You just point it and it makes a crust, I mean, what else could anyone want... I'm waiting until they actually do that Iwatani attachment though.

EDIT: It's just such a useful failsafe if you gently caress up your scallops or whatever... I don't wanna cater without it

No Wave fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 21, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I would personally use the poo poo out of that after cooking sous vide. I kind of despise the long heat up time to get a pot up to high enough temp to do a nice even sear or being in that awkward position and staring at the food under the broiler forever. But that might be a function of having lovely appliances and no wok burner.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm basically treating it as a proof-of-concept until I get a Salamander.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hold on, let me go use my bajillion btu burner in my tiny apartment ;)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got it because I hate how a torch works to sear food, and I hope this will fix that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

One of the videos on their site shows them using it with mapp pro.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They recommend camping tanks because they're shorter and wider, and the taller thinner cans might get knocked over more easily because of the attachment throwing off the balance.

Does MAP Pro even come in the wider cans?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

Does MAP Pro even come in the wider cans?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I mean, fun sure. and less heat penetration than searing in a pan, yeah, I guess. I just (really) can't imagine when I would need such an exact way of heating a food, where a pan wouldn't work for a quicker more effective sear.

And really, 2-3 minutes per side of food item? when is that not an insane amount of time to spend hovering over each individual portion of food. I mean if you're a tremendous dork and cooking for yourself alone at home, fine. but that immediately rules out cooking for any number of people greater than two. by the time you "seared" 4 portions of food, the first would already be cold again. let alone 12.

don't get me wrong, I love nerdy cooking gadgets and sous vide-in' things, I just still think this thing sounds pretty gimmicky/lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Calphalon Unison 12" skillet that, for whatever reason, is my only pan. Amazon is currently selling the Emeril by All-Clad Pro-Clad tri-ply 8" skillet for $20 and 12" for $25. Would they just be redundant in the face my Calphalon?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Calphalon Unison 12" skillet that, for whatever reason, is my only pan. Amazon is currently selling the Emeril by All-Clad Pro-Clad tri-ply 8" skillet for $20 and 12" for $25. Would they just be redundant in the face my Calphalon?

You can use them for high heat searing which you can't use the calphalon for (nonstick).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can use them for high heat searing which you can't use the calphalon for (nonstick).
Yeah, in retrospect, I should have planned for an 8" nonstick for eggs/cheese/fish and 12" stainless for everything else.

Oh well, picked up the 12" and also the 3 quart sauce pan on sale for $40: http://www.amazon.com/Emeril-All-Clad-E9831864-Stainless-Dishwasher/dp/B001B2NA4O/ From everything I've read, Emeril Pro-Clad is pretty much the same as the All-Clad Stainless, just made in China instead of Pennsylvania.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 23, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
To expand on my earlier question, how has the KA Pro 600 held up for those of you who have had one for a while? Have any of you run into the mechanical difficulties that seem to have plagued the earlier production runs? Would you still get one at this point?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been eyeing pressure cookers for a while now. I'm spending the week in CT with my family and my mom gave me an unsolicited offer of the pressure cooker she owns which I immediately accepted since she never uses it. Turns out it is a 16 quart aluminum pressure cooker, gasketless, with a pressure gauge. Pics to follow eventually. I don't even know what to do with this loving thing or how to use it. Any suggestions on something to break its cherry? After purchasing it brand new ~20 years ago she admitted she has used it literally once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If there's no gasket, I doubt it will be functional. I would just donate it to a thrift shop and buy a modern 8 qt model.

• Locked thread