Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Charles Martel posted:

This series of threads has been good to me in the past, so I'm coming back for some help:

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Zune Premium Headphones for my Zune. I love these headphones so much that I've been dealing with my half-shot pair while hitting the elliptical at the gym, but they are now to the point where I can't hear anything out of the right earbud, and need a replacement around the $25 range.

I couldn't find any hardware specs on the headphones, but I love everything about them: They're comfortable and the frequency response on them is clear on everything I listen to: It's not overly bass heavy, but they are loud, crisp, clear, and have nice isolation. The problem is that they are too expensive for my taste nowadays after I somehow nabbed a pair off of eBay for around $20 a couple of years ago.

Budget - Less than $30.
Source - My Zune and iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. Will be using these at the gym 95% of the time.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds or IEMs from what I can see in the OP.
Preferred Tonal Balance - This is hard to explain. I want a quality set of headphones that have a meaty, "full" sound as opposed to the weak, tinny sound most cheap headphones have.
Past Headphones - See above about my feelings of the Zune Premium Headphones. Everything about them was perfect.
Preferred Music - A little bit of everything, but mostly punk rock, metal, and classic rock.

So do you guys think I can get earbuds like the Zune premo earbuds for around $20 so I don't have to pay +$60 for another pair?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that these headphones have to be durable and have a tight fit in my ear. I really get into my music and have a tendency to headbang a bit. :) Despite that, the Zune Headphones managed to stay in my ear for most of my workout and only slip out of my ear a couple times during a 50-minute run depending on the intensity of my run, the music, or both.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-S4-II-Black/dp/B008X9Q0JK/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These are on sale on Amazon right now for $30 (down from $80). I'm not a huge fan of the reviews though, but they might be a good deal.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs myself. I bought some panasonic over ear headphones, which are absolutely fantastic, but they're a bit cumbersome to carry around on a day-to-day basis. I'm also not a huge fan of the "headphones around the neck" look, so I want a pair of IEMs for other day-to-day use.

Budget: $50-$100.
Source: Macbook Pro, iPod Touch.
Isolation Requirements: Yes. I'll be using them on the train, or while studying in the library.
Preferred Type: IEMs, or whatever maximizes my isolation.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I listen to a wide range of music, so I guess something that's not too bassy. I like being able to hear everything, especially now that I'm listening to jazz.
Past Headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7, which I absolutely adore. Gummi ear buds which have been fine for now, but I want something with isolation, and the sound quality is pretty poor.
Preferred Music: A lot of stuff, but right now mostly jazz, indie rock, and punk.
Other: I'm also looking for something with a bit of lasting power. I'm not sure if this is possible with IEMs, since I hear they break quickly with frequent use. Something sturdy and reliable, if possible.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I would not suggest the S4s for working out, the wiring is quite fragile.

ruro posted:

No, what have they done this time?

Just browsing the other day. There's a known issue with the LG G2/Nexus 5 where the audio output will distort at or close to maximum volume because the headphone amplifier isn't supplied with enough power, but again, only at or near maximum volume. The output is otherwise extremely clean.

Saw a head-fi'er telling someone to get and use a USB DAC even though the headphones he's using (Quadbeat 2, which were designed to be paired with the G2) should never, ever, ever be run at maximum output from from that phone. Yay telling someone to spend a bunch of money to fix a problem they don't actually have.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

I would not suggest the S4s for working out, the wiring is quite fragile.

Just browsing the other day. There's a known issue with the LG G2/Nexus 5 where the audio output will distort at or close to maximum volume because the headphone amplifier isn't supplied with enough power, but again, only at or near maximum volume. The output is otherwise extremely clean.

Saw a head-fi'er telling someone to get and use a USB DAC even though the headphones he's using (Quadbeat 2, which were designed to be paired with the G2) should never, ever, ever be run at maximum output from from that phone. Yay telling someone to spend a bunch of money to fix a problem they don't actually have.
Um, all headphones need to be powered through a USB DAC and then a vacuum tube amp. :rolleyes:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I have a set of Audio-Technica ATH-A700X that has a slightly bent headphone jack. I did what I could to gently straighten it out, but I feel like it is going to worsen over time. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the existing cord with a jack, so I can easily replace a plug of it gets bent or something. This would also give me the added benefit of swapping out cables that are the right length for what I am doing. If I am on my phone, I can use a four foot cable, or I can swap in a fifteen footer if I want to plug in to my receiver. Is this a viable idea? If soldered well, should I expect any drop in sound quality?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Panel-mount mini jacks right on the ear cups work nicely if you don't care about your warranty. There won't be a difference in fidelity.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
My current headphones are being held together with masking tape and it's the holidays so I figured gently caress it I wanna get something new and nice. No idea where to start. I listen to a lot of music but don't know jack poo poo about headphones.

Budget - $150-220
Source - My laptop.
Isolation Requirements - Not really.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Will be keeping these strictly at home, so as long as it's comfortable and stays on my drat head I don't care. I wear glasses and have a hard time finding headphones that don't end up hurting after a while from squeezing between my ears and the frames or falling off. (probably because I've only ever owned cheap lovely headphones)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Just balanced I guess?
Past Headphones - The only halfway decent set I've ever owned is a Sony MDR-NC7, which I only got because it was a really good price. They are currently falling apart. Something with stronger bass would be good.
Preferred Music - I mostly listen to music with vocals (rap, indie poo poo) but also a lot of post-rock.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dirty Job posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-S4-II-Black/dp/B008X9Q0JK/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These are on sale on Amazon right now for $30 (down from $80). I'm not a huge fan of the reviews though, but they might be a good deal.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs myself. I bought some panasonic over ear headphones, which are absolutely fantastic, but they're a bit cumbersome to carry around on a day-to-day basis. I'm also not a huge fan of the "headphones around the neck" look, so I want a pair of IEMs for other day-to-day use.

Isolation Requirements: Yes. I'll be using them on the train, or while studying in the library.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I listen to a wide range of music, so I guess something that's not too bassy. I like being able to hear everything, especially now that I'm listening to jazz.
Past Headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7, which I absolutely adore. Gummi ear buds which have been fine for now, but I want something with isolation, and the sound quality is pretty poor.
Preferred Music: A lot of stuff, but right now mostly jazz, indie rock, and punk.
Other: I'm also looking for something with a bit of lasting power. I'm not sure if this is possible with IEMs, since I hear they break quickly with frequent use. Something sturdy and reliable, if possible.

Monster Gratitudes. And if you want your IEMs to last put them in a case when you're done with them, don't just shove them in your pocket or bag. A cigarette tin from a dollar store works great, as does an Altoids tin.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

grack posted:

Monster Gratitudes. And if you want your IEMs to last put them in a case when you're done with them, don't just shove them in your pocket or bag. A cigarette tin from a dollar store works great, as does an Altoids tin.

I'm not a massive fan of the look of the Gratitudes, and the reviews seem pretty mediocre. Mostly though, gold just isn't my style, though the wide selection of ear tips is pretty nice.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Dark Onion posted:

My current headphones are being held together with masking tape and it's the holidays so I figured gently caress it I wanna get something new and nice. No idea where to start. I listen to a lot of music but don't know jack poo poo about headphones.

Budget - $150-220
Source - My laptop.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Will be keeping these strictly at home, so as long as it's comfortable and stays on my drat head I don't care. I wear glasses and have a hard time finding headphones that don't end up hurting after a while from squeezing between my ears and the frames or falling off. (probably because I've only ever owned cheap lovely headphones)
Past Headphones - The only halfway decent set I've ever owned is a Sony MDR-NC7, which I only got because it was a really good price. They are currently falling apart. Something with stronger bass would be good.
Preferred Music - I mostly listen to music with vocals (rap, indie poo poo) but also a lot of post-rock.

I'd say Sennheiser 598s but feel free to disagree with me

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had the chance to try out the NAD Viso HP50's? I'm looking for a good sealed headphone to go with my AKG K550 and Q701 sets. The K550's are crazy comfortable to my massive head, but I much prefer the sound of the Q701's. There's just something a little off in the k550 treble. But I don't have much time with enough quiet to listen with open headphones so the Q701's don't get as much use as I'd like.

My music taste is pretty varied--EDM, classical, jazz, random indie stuff, a little bit of metal and hip hop--so I'm looking for something that's a good all around set.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shogunner posted:

Subtle reminder that I have a like new pair of these with the adapter and original packaging selling for $175 shipped at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593231! Keep in mind that these are not bass headphones, though. They are often described as "warm" and you'll notice more of a bump in the vocal range. Definitely a more balanced pair that isn't going to rumble off of your head.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dirty Job posted:

Maybe the Vsonic GR06, 80 Singapore $ = ~ $65 US.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=b69771aaaa44914643e23ae96d745963

Or maybe the Ultimate Ears 600 for about $60.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ulti...timate+Ears+600

On the high end, the HiFi Man RE400 for ~ $100.
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-RE400...&keywords=re400

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Has anyone had the chance to try out the NAD Viso HP50's? I'm looking for a good sealed headphone to go with my AKG K550 and Q701 sets. The K550's are crazy comfortable to my massive head, but I much prefer the sound of the Q701's. There's just something a little off in the k550 treble. But I don't have much time with enough quiet to listen with open headphones so the Q701's don't get as much use as I'd like.

My music taste is pretty varied--EDM, classical, jazz, random indie stuff, a little bit of metal and hip hop--so I'm looking for something that's a good all around set.

gently caress it, just ordered a set from Amazon. I can always return them if they don't work out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dark Onion posted:

Budget - $150-220
Source - My laptop.

Shogunner posted:

598s would be a great choice to consider but I'd stay away from more open headphones if "stronger bass" is a requirement.

I'm throwing in a big plug for the Audio Technica ATH-M50 here, even if they're at the bottom (or often a fair bit below) Dark Onion's price range. It's true that there are a lot of fantastic cans within the $150-220 range, but I'd consider the M-50s to be a more natural and versatile choice for someone who doesn't "know jack poo poo about headphones."

They're quite well built, comfortable, very balanced- but with more than enough bass IMO, decent looking, and they sound great with a wide variety of music and sound sources. They're considered the de-facto "baby's first audiophile headphone" for a reason. They're a great jumping-off point for anyone who might consider getting deeper into this godforsaken hobby and better headphones than most people will ever own for anyone else.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I absolutely hate the M50. The ones I heard were overly congested and had a smeared soundstage. Like someone took the music and smeared it like one would with paint. I think there are many other headphones worth recommending even when considering a $100 price tag. At $150+ you're open to all other kinds of headphones, especially when considering open headphones.

In his budget I would like to recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. They are absurdly cheap right now and that gives him $100 to spend on a FiiO E10 to power it.

Edit: Finished my review of the thinksound On1. Check it out.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 17, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: nothing to see here thought you were talking about the HP50 because I'm tired.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Midorka posted:

I absolutely hate the M50. The ones I heard were overly congested and had a smeared soundstage. Like someone took the music and smeared it like one would with paint.

Guess there's an opinion for everyone? :shrug:

I'm using mine right now and they sound perfectly adequate to me- and I both own and have auditioned plenty of more expensive gear. And, at the risk of sounding like a dumb internet person, they're arguably one of the most recommended headphones on Head-Fi and its ilk which should count for something.

I personally haven't listened to the 990 myself, but I'm sure that they probably sound much better than the M50- given that they're usually way more expensive. That said, I don't know if a set of headphones that *requires* external amplification to sound its best is the best recommendation for somebody who wants to dick around from their laptop. No matter how small or inconspicuous your amp is, it's still an extra box that you've gotta plug into your computer and carry around.

Part of what keeps me coming back to the M50 is that I can plug them into just about anything and they sound 99% the same. They're a bit too cumbersome to use on a commute, but I can take them to work/school/lab/the library/traveling/my porch/bed/the kitchen table/in front of the TV/etc. in a way that I just can't with my amp-bound stuff. If you're outputting from an ultrabook or tablet then even the smallest amp still kind of defeats the purpose.

All of that aside, I'm looking for a "bassy" set of headphones to complement my Q701 for *serious listening.* You think the 990s would potentially fit that criteria or should I be looking for something more closed?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The Creative Aurvana Live! were on sale for $60 on Amazon yesterday - so I pretty much impulse bought them based on all the good feedback I've heard here. I was looking for a pair of closed back headphones with a big emphasis on comfort - but not so delicate or expensive that I wouldn't ever want to leave the house with them.

I mean what I really want is a pair of Momentums but I just can't swing the price.....yet.

I'll let you know my thoughts once they arrive.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The M50s have a strong mid bass conducive to the kind of hip hop the Beats crowd likes. I think that makes them sound cramped, but I think the OP tends to wax hyperbolic whenever they're mentioned.

I use them professionally in situations where I used to grab 280pros or mdr7506s for a decent throw around with some isolation.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All of that aside, I'm looking for a "bassy" set of headphones to complement my Q701 for *serious listening.* You think the 990s would potentially fit that criteria or should I be looking for something more closed?

The ATH-A700X that I just posted about has strong bass without getting muddy at all, that's one of the reasons I chose them. I listen to a decent amount of EDM and they work great for me. Disclosure's album "Settle" has some powerful bass that sounds great cranked through these cans, just powered by my Galaxy S3. If you have a better source, they should sound awesome. They are big headphones though, but quite comfortable.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I feel that the DT990, in my 2 hours of demoing, are bassy while maintaining composure. Controlled bass with great texture, just a joy to listen to. They are warm and abundant in bass, without being overbearing.

Now I know I'm one of the few people in the world who hates the M50, perhaps the two pairs I heard had issues, but they are one of the least enjoyable headphones I've ever heard in all honesty. If you don't need the portability of the M50 then I recommend the Creative Aurvana Live! and if you do need the portability then I recommend something like the TDK BA200 if you're open to IEMs or the Koss Pro DJ 100 if you want to save $70 or more for a similar sound quality ratio.

I love Audio Technica more than most people love their significant others, but I think the M50 are so over recommended from my 2 hours of use with them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey there how's it going? I'm looking for some earphones (or even headphones really) that are relatively in the $20-$50 range that are... well good. The main quality I'm looking for is durability. I like to play my music as loud as I can no matter what kind it is, helps me get absorbed and filter out all external sounds. Problem is that I tend to blow the gently caress out of the previous earbuds I've had, I've gone through like 2 sets of iphone headphones, 7 sets of imitations that all lasted me a week, and a Sound Magic 3000 model recently after having read the OP and that lasted me a month. I don't know if this is a problem that just amounts to "Stop playing the music so loving loud," but if I can get some recommendations on what to use to enjoy my loud music while not bothering people around me and without having to worry about them blowing, that'd be appreciated. The budget doesn't matter a ton, but relatively cheap is preferable.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Hey there how's it going? I'm looking for some earphones (or even headphones really) that are relatively in the $20-$50 range that are... well good. The main quality I'm looking for is durability. I like to play my music as loud as I can no matter what kind it is, helps me get absorbed and filter out all external sounds. Problem is that I tend to blow the gently caress out of the previous earbuds I've had, I've gone through like 2 sets of iphone headphones, 7 sets of imitations that all lasted me a week, and a Sound Magic 3000 model recently after having read the OP and that lasted me a month. I don't know if this is a problem that just amounts to "Stop playing the music so loving loud," but if I can get some recommendations on what to use to enjoy my loud music while not bothering people around me and without having to worry about them blowing, that'd be appreciated. The budget doesn't matter a ton, but relatively cheap is preferable.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...&keywords=erek5

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also if you want isolation, get isolation instead of destroying your hearing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

evil_bunnY posted:

Also if you want isolation, get isolation instead of destroying your hearing.

Thanks guys.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Midorka posted:

I feel that the DT990, in my 2 hours of demoing, are bassy while maintaining composure. Controlled bass with great texture, just a joy to listen to. They are warm and abundant in bass, without being overbearing.
My favourite sub $400 headphone by far. I can wear them for hours and hours without discomfort which is a huge bonus as well.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

598s would be a great choice to consider but I'd stay away from more open headphones if "stronger bass" is a requirement.

I'm throwing in a big plug for the Audio Technica ATH-M50 here, even if they're at the bottom (or often a fair bit below) Dark Onion's price range. It's true that there are a lot of fantastic cans within the $150-220 range, but I'd consider the M-50s to be a more natural and versatile choice for someone who doesn't "know jack poo poo about headphones."

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The M50s don't compete with the 598s at all. They're not balanced in the slightest, bass is overly punchy, loose low end, mids are recessed, highs are stringent as gently caress. I don't know why they label them as monitors if I'm honest.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Midorka posted:

Now I know I'm one of the few people in the world who hates the M50, perhaps the two pairs I heard had issues, but they are one of the least enjoyable headphones I've ever heard in all honesty. If you don't need the portability of the M50 then I recommend the Creative Aurvana Live! and if you do need the portability then I recommend something like the TDK BA200 if you're open to IEMs or the Koss Pro DJ 100 if you want to save $70 or more for a similar sound quality ratio.

I love Audio Technica more than most people love their significant others, but I think the M50 are so over recommended from my 2 hours of use with them.

DJ100s are easily the best not-M50 M50. So loving good for the value (still $40 bucks on amazon wtf). Equally portable and durable too. The only qualm I have is the rather thick/heavy cable.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Does anyone have experience running multiple Sennheiser RS 180s in the same room? I'm looking to hook up four pairs to two different sources for a pair of workstations in a lab. Will these interfere with each other?

Failing that does anyone have a suggestion for a wireless headset system that could work without interference? I need four headsets and two transmitters. If I can switch channels independently for each headset that's even better. The audio needs to be distortion free from 100Hz - 3kHz but I don't really care outside of that, and they absolutely cannot cut in and out. I'd prefer to keep the whole thing under $2k, but am somewhat flexible.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Hey, I asked about some headphones a few weeks ago and never got a response. To make it short, my current desktop headphones, turtle beach x12's are dead, and I need a replacement. I plan on just purchasing another set of turtle beach x12's or a later model, but I'd like to know if that's a bad idea or not. II could also use a pair of HD681's for desktop headphones, as I plan on purchasing a pair to walk around with. But mainly I'm not willing to go under the quality of my previous headphones, which is why I'm here.

Budget: I'd say somewhere about 80-100 would be my upper limit. I also don't have an amp, and I don't see myself getting one either.
Source: Computer only. Gaming and music. My speakers are ok, but I'm in an upstairs apartment so I've just taken to only using headphones. Typically I have another pair of headphones for any mobile stuff, so that doesn't matter for this.
Isolation Requirements: For my computer use I'd love an isolated headset. It doesn't have to be perfect and I know it won't be, but I live with roommates. If it isn't isolated, that's fine, I can live with it. It's not a make or break factor, just a preference.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size only. I've only used supra-aural, but I'm open to circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I'd say the bass needs to be good, but I don't really want it underperforming in any area really. I'm sure that isn't much help, sorry.
Past Headphones:
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound. Best headphones I've ever owned. I loved the ability to adjust my sound and bass levels on the cord, though I mostly kept the bass at the same level for everything. Being able to change volume on the cord was nice, I'd like to have that again but of course that's not important.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Stereo Over-ear Headphones. These are the second best, and my current pair of mobile headphones. I don't like their long cord. But for the computer that probably is preferred as it'll be easier for it to go up under my desk to next to my monitor. Compared with the turtle beach I'd say the turtle beach pair was better.
Preferred Music: Rock, heavy metal, electronic, classical, pop and jazz. Also these will be used for gaming and videos as well.

Initially I was planning on getting a pair of wireless headphones, but I don't know how well those perform and I'm not willing to risk the quality of the music.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just picked up the Creative Aurvana Lives and really like them. $60 on Amazon right now. I think they fit all your criteria

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Lowness 72 posted:

I just picked up the Creative Aurvana Lives and really like them. $60 on Amazon right now. I think they fit all your criteria

Awesome! I had both my headphones break recently, and I plan on using those as my desktop headphones and the HD681's for my mobile headphones, based on this threads recommendations. Thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon just delivered my NAD Viso HP50's. After listening for about an hour I think I'll be keeping them. At first I was worried that the clamping force would be too much, but it hasn't wound up being a problem. They sound great with everything I've listened to so far--I'm terrible at describing audio gear unless there's something I really don't like though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

japtor posted:

Just happened to drop by the thread cause I saw that Best Buy has this Sony one (w/headphones) on sale for $35 right now (well black, orange, and turquoise at least, while white and pink are still $50). They're reviewed pretty well on Amazon, here's a review by PCMag. Stereo might make it a problem for one ear listening without specifically a mono headphone. Don't know what you have, but on the iPhone at least you can just set it to mono/shift balance one way to get around that.

I have been wanting something like this so I jumped on this deal. I ordered black, my online order said black and white ones showed up with a white packing slip. I called Best Buy and they said that they were out of black and refunded $10 without me asking. Not a bad deal for $25. The range is a bit disappointing, maybe 15 feet so it won't work for walking around the house but I really wanted them for just not getting tangled up with the audio cord when trying to use my phone, listening to music and run errands on foot, especially with my dog.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need some new headphones after using Klipsch Image S4's for a couple of years I want to try something new. My first pair of Klipsch lasted nearly two years with constant daily listening before the cord frayed to the point of no longer working and my second pair with the 'non tangle' flat cord has recently had the cord leading to the right earpiece curl up so badly they're barely useable anymore.

Budget: Less than AUD100
Source: iPod nano, will be only using them when I'm at work
Isolation Requirements: I would like them to completely block out all outside noise and also not be heard if I have my music turned up a bit. That has been the best aspect of the Klipsch headphones, they completely drown out every obnoxious coworker around me
Preferred Type of Headphone: In-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference
Past Headphones: Klipsch Image S4's and I use Sennheiser HD25s at home and when I'm DJ'ing
Preferred Music: Hardcore, drum 'n' bass, EBM and the odd audio book

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

cyberia posted:

I need some new headphones after using Klipsch Image S4's for a couple of years I want to try something new. My first pair of Klipsch lasted nearly two years with constant daily listening before the cord frayed to the point of no longer working and my second pair with the 'non tangle' flat cord has recently had the cord leading to the right earpiece curl up so badly they're barely useable anymore.

Budget: Less than AUD100
Source: iPod nano, will be only using them when I'm at work
Isolation Requirements: I would like them to completely block out all outside noise and also not be heard if I have my music turned up a bit. That has been the best aspect of the Klipsch headphones, they completely drown out every obnoxious coworker around me
Preferred Type of Headphone: In-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference
Past Headphones: Klipsch Image S4's and I use Sennheiser HD25s at home and when I'm DJ'ing
Preferred Music: Hardcore, drum 'n' bass, EBM and the odd audio book

Take a look at the Vsonic GR06, $80 Singapore dollars= $71 Australian.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=5452203bc226a7fcd066588c81df719d
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612586/review-vsonic-gr06-wow

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Currently burning in a pair of DT990 Pros at home. I've taken a quick listen and they're doing just fine, but I just ran it directly from my iPhone 4.

My computer setup has a pair of Logitech Z-2300s, which are amped iirc, and i just intend to use the DT990s with the 3.5mm jack from the remote. Alterantely, I could just hook it up directly to the 3.5mm directly from my motherboard.

Tell me what to do, or are they both the same thing, essentially?

edit: if u tell me to get a tube amp, i just might, so plz have mercy

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Miko posted:

Currently burning in a pair of DT990 Pros at home. I've taken a quick listen and they're doing just fine, but I just ran it directly from my iPhone 4.

My computer setup has a pair of Logitech Z-2300s, which are amped iirc, and i just intend to use the DT990s with the 3.5mm jack from the remote. Alterantely, I could just hook it up directly to the 3.5mm directly from my motherboard.

Tell me what to do, or are they both the same thing, essentially?

edit: if u tell me to get a tube amp, i just might, so plz have mercy

Why not burn those headphones on your head? No sense in having them play music all day if no one's there to listen.

The pod's output of the Z-5500 is awful, I imagine the Z-2300 isn't any better. Assuming your motherboard isn't ancient you're better off using that, though you're going to need an amp sooner or later because I doubt the mobo will give them enough juice. No need to go with tubes unless you actually want to.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I have been wanting something like this so I jumped on this deal. I ordered black, my online order said black and white ones showed up with a white packing slip. I called Best Buy and they said that they were out of black and refunded $10 without me asking. Not a bad deal for $25. The range is a bit disappointing, maybe 15 feet so it won't work for walking around the house but I really wanted them for just not getting tangled up with the audio cord when trying to use my phone, listening to music and run errands on foot, especially with my dog.
Got mine a few days ago too, works well enough. And it supports multipoint which is nice, I have it paired with my iPhone and iPad (and Mac at one point but that kept annoyingly hijacking the connection). Created some confusion when I was on the phone and using the iPad, cause I think the iPad connected and cut off the phone or something. When using one or the other for music/videos it's generally fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

seravid posted:

Why not burn those headphones on your head? No sense in having them play music all day if no one's there to listen.

The pod's output of the Z-5500 is awful, I imagine the Z-2300 isn't any better. Assuming your motherboard isn't ancient you're better off using that, though you're going to need an amp sooner or later because I doubt the mobo will give them enough juice. No need to go with tubes unless you actually want to.
Can't really use them at work, need to be out and about and the sound leak would just piss people off. They're just for home use.

I'll test it out with the onboard audio jack.