Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

If you're willing to drop a bit of cash buy a Corsair Vengeance K90/K95 immediately. Mine is great and I've found I've not minded some keys being non-mechanical (F keys, paging block, macro buttons) on the K90 over the K95 but your mileage may vary

The K70 is also a cheaper choice if you don't need the extra macro keys. I use the silver one which has blue backlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ularg posted:

Are there any good racing sims in the style of Gran Turismo or Forza that have a free demo? I got interested in the type of racing but there just doesn't seem to be a way to see if it is for me without dropping $$ down.

The only experience I have to go on is NFS: Hot Pursuit.

I don't believe there is a demo, but Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2 are about the closest you will get to a Forza or Gran Turismo on PC. The Grid and Dirt games are excellent, but are very much arcade racers.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Phuzun posted:

Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2 are about the closest you will get to a Forza or Gran Turismo on PC.

You can't be serious. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461036

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Please let me know which of these games is similar to Forza or Gran Turismo. Shift 2 is very similar to both of these games. It features a wide selection of real street cars and racecars that can be purchase/upgraded through career modes with the type of handling that you'd expect from either of the games. Someone had already linked the PC Sim thread, so yes, I was serious in offering another game which wasn't yet mentioned.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Ciaphas posted:

I'm in the same boat re: the flaky connection on the F710. I have direct line of sight, it's no more than two and a bit meters distant, but it'll disconnect for about one second every couple of minutes (with the light flickering to indicate it). Incredibly frustrating.

I had this same problem also, to the point where I had to return the F710 and just go back to a 360 gamepad instead. I tried to like it but it was just too flaky despite having direct line of sight and only being a few feet from the receiver.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Parker Lewis posted:

I had this same problem also, to the point where I had to return the F710 and just go back to a 360 gamepad instead. I tried to like it but it was just too flaky despite having direct line of sight and only being a few feet from the receiver.

For all those having connection issues with the 710... are you using the extension cable that came with it?

I set up a new PC and was having crazy issues with the wireless dongle plugged directly into the PC. I tried different ports, different drivers, kept having problems.

Then I read online to use the cable to help the dongle get away from interference. I haven't really had a problem since. It's not the prettiest solution, but I ran the cord up onto a bookshelf away from my PC tower and now I can play games fine.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

triplexpac posted:

For all those having connection issues with the 710... are you using the extension cable that came with it?

I did. I kept it on my keyboard when I played, not even a foot away from the controller. It made the controller less flaky, but it still had enough problems to push me back to a 360 pad.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
There is always the option of a Bluetooth dongle, motioninjoy, and then better ds3 on top of that. I use that most of the time over my wireless 360 game pad.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think the motioninjoy stuff is gross. I have a PS3 and even then, a 310 is a better option. I mean if you wait to get it on sale, a 310 can be like $10-15 bucks. A few extra bucks was worth the extra capabilities and nicer software and warranty and all that.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
BetterDS3 goes on top of MotioninJoy which is pretty poo poo itself. I just set BDS3 to mirror 360 button inputs and just go from there. Works like a charm for me after having to deal with goddamn MotioninJoy. Never seen so many blue screens in one day trying to set up that thing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

averox posted:

BetterDS3 goes on top of MotioninJoy which is pretty poo poo itself. I just set BDS3 to mirror 360 button inputs and just go from there. Works like a charm for me after having to deal with goddamn MotioninJoy. Never seen so many blue screens in one day trying to set up that thing.

I was thinking if there would be a better program than x360ce to get my PS4 controller to work on PC. Mainly because a few games don't ever recognize the files I put into the folder or I can't find where they are supposed to go for some games. I still haven't been able to get x360ce to work with Battlefield 4.

Not to mention I was told that using x360ce would get you VAC banned if you played online.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Ularg posted:

I was thinking if there would be a better program than x360ce to get my PS4 controller to work on PC.

You're in luck, the community has been making breakthroughs lately.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

This tool was just updated to add rumble support and control over the light bar. The author says he can read the motion sensor data too, but can't exactly pass that data through to xinput because xinput wouldn't know what the gently caress.

This guy over here wrote a tool to read the touchpad and move the mouse cursor. It's a bit rough at the moment, you have to launch the thing with command line parameters, but apparently it works.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I just got a new GTX650 Ti Boost after not playing anything on an ancient 6200LE for half a year, and after first playing Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light back to back, everything else just looks like rear end now :smith:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Go play Assassin's Creed 4, that might make you feel better. :)

Question, can anyone recommend any wireless versions of those mice with thumb numberpads? Not sure what they're called, but now that I've gone couch PC mode I can't use my wired Razer.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I got a new windows 8 laptop (lenovo y410p) and recently tried out Steam big picture on it for local co-op games with friends. Jamestown was hella fun but I ran into problems with controllers. Basically, I wanted to use my xbox 360 wireless receiver and wireless controllers to play but I couldn't get the receiver to work before my friends showed up. How can I get the wireless receiver to work with it? I've already tried the official xbox controller accessories driver and while the laptop recognizes the receiver, wireless controllers aren't recognized.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
So after I had to RMA my MSI R9 280x, Aria finally decided the card was faulty, but there was none in stock so they are sending me a sapphire toxic R9 280x instead. :getin:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any recommendations on a keyboard just like the G110 except without the programmable keys?

-Illuminated
-Raised keys (not flat like a laptop)
-Audio ports
-Prefer wired, but wireless isn't a deal breaker

I recently got a new desk and the keyboard tray isn't long enough to accomodate both my keyboard and mouse.If I didn't have the stupid G keys, which I never use, it would be perfect. It needs to be 18" or smaller.

Something kind of like this except from a brand I've heard of and has audio ports.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 18, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you buy a USB audio interface and USB extension cable (or a headphone amp) you will seriously expand your available selection of keyboards. Not many offer audio jacks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Why would you need an interface? On-board sound can drive a pair of headphones just fine. For some reason, my audio interface occasionally doesn't work with Unreal engine games, and when it happens I used my headphones on my onboard sounds and they're fine, and they're higher than average impedance monitoring headphones.

I agree though, unless you've got some really specific reason for needing audio ports on your keyboard, you're really restricting yourself.

chippy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 18, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure, I guess. A simple USB port might work if I can get a headset & mic to USB adapter.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

chippy posted:

Why would you need an interface? On-board sound can drive a pair of headphones just fine. For some reason, my audio interface occasionally doesn't work with Unreal engine games, and when it happens I used my headphones on my onboard sounds and they're fine, and they're higher than average impedance monitoring headphones.

I agree though, unless you've got some really specific reason for needing audio ports on your keyboard, you're really restricting yourself.

Most onboard sound cards suffer from huge amounts of interference, particularly the mic jacks. If your computer is in a bad spot to plug into directly, a USB extension lets you easily extend it somewhere better. I can see why you'd want jacks on a keyboard but there just aren't many out there.

Search Newegg or Amazon for USB soundcards/audio interfaces and start looking at more keyboards. Corsair and Cooler Master have good, affordable mechanical keyboards that are very popular.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You can also just buy a 3.5mm jack extension cable for almost nothing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, been looking around, and I've been thinking of getting a new gaming laptop. I have one picked out and ready for purchase, but a question comes to mind:

What effect will Windows 8 have on my gaming? Should I just set another hundred aside for Win7?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

J.A.B.C. posted:

What effect will Windows 8 have on my gaming? Should I just set another hundred aside for Win7?

Windows 8 has Snap View - basically vertical split screen. So if for example you are playing some My Little Pony MMO and waiting for your bronies to log on, you can have a web browser on a third of the screen and check your favourite My Little Pony news site while you wait. Basically just a more convenient way of having a game and another application open, without having to resize each window to fit the layout you need.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^Apparently, Windows 8 also runs faster.

Phuzun posted:

I don't believe there is a demo, but Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2 are about the closest you will get to a Forza or Gran Turismo on PC. The Grid and Dirt games are excellent, but are very much arcade racers.

Grid might be arcadey to some, but Dirt is very much a simulation series. There's detailed damage modeling that affects the handling of the car, body roll and weight shifting is simulated and loving up a turn can mean that no amount of reacting or turning into your drift can save you. I'd recommend Dirt for anybody looking for an experience similar to GT's rally segment, but Dirt 2 and 3 use GFWL. Codemasters have said they'll remove GFWL from Dirt 3, but they've yet to actually do so.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Windows 8 has Snap View - basically vertical split screen. So if for example you are playing some My Little Pony MMO and waiting for your bronies to log on, you can have a web browser on a third of the screen and check your favourite My Little Pony news site while you wait. Basically just a more convenient way of having a game and another application open, without having to resize each window to fit the layout you need.

Wait, a second. How did you know my Steam Groups were MMO pony fans?

I think I'll give it a shot, then, and buy 7 if I need to later on down the line. At least it should help with looking up stuff for achievements while I'm going through the game without having to worry about CTDs and such.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Internet Friend posted:

Most onboard sound cards suffer from huge amounts of interference, particularly the mic jacks. If your computer is in a bad spot to plug into directly, a USB extension lets you easily extend it somewhere better. I can see why you'd want jacks on a keyboard but there just aren't many out there.

Search Newegg or Amazon for USB soundcards/audio interfaces and start looking at more keyboards. Corsair and Cooler Master have good, affordable mechanical keyboards that are very popular.

I admittedly didn't consider the distortion factor. However, if it's just awkward placement problem, then as notZaar side a 3.5mm extension jack would work just as well as a USB sound card. That said, you can get USB sound dongles off Amazon for a couple of quid so it's not like it has to be expensive I suppose.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Can't you do this on Win 7 by hitting Windows key + an arrow key?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, been looking around, and I've been thinking of getting a new gaming laptop. I have one picked out and ready for purchase, but a question comes to mind:

You most definitely want to go with Windows 8 (8.1). There are many benchmarks out there to show this, and the article I have linked below is one of the many so please don't just blindly take my word for it. Take a look around. :) You'll be glad you did.

Take a look at this article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/24/battlefield_4_windows_7_vs_81_performance_review/5#.UrMWUfRDsZ8

quote:

Is there a performance advantage in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 for BF4? The answer is, "Yes." We consistently found that under Windows 8.1 BF4 performed faster than Windows 7 on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware. Both GPUs, from both vendors, had a consistent performance advantage in every test we performed. More importantly, in the real-world multiplayer gaming session that matters, there was a performance advantage.

Also, Windows XP is loosing support from Microsoft on April 8th, 2014. I really hope Windows 7 doesn't last that long, however, if it does, Microsoft will cut it off by 2021 (7 more years). Now you may read that and laugh, but you can't play those flashy DirectX11 games in Windows XP. The new features tend to come with the new software. And someday Windows 7 will be in the same boat as XP. It's just how it goes.

And if you still want to run Windows 7 alongside your shiny new Windows 8.1, there is always VHD Boot. (For those who hate partitioning.)
http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx

Cheers!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait wait I thought Windows 8 was bad for gaming. When did the paradigm shift?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Doesn't Windows 8/8.1 have a lot of technical hiccups with various games, though? I'm not sure if it was through reading the community hubs for various games on Steam or wherever, but I recall seeing quite a large amount of complaints for various games all being broken or not working correctly in Windows 8/8.1 and the general consensus being to revert back to Windows 7 and stick with it, especially since the new DX doesn't really offer anything worthwhile?

I'm far from knowledgeable of all the details of just how exactly 8 stacks up against 7, but I definitely get a strong impression that it's best to stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft releases Windows 9 or whatever, since they tend to operate on a cycle that alternates between releasing a great OS followed by a terrible one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

notZaar posted:

Windows 8 is bad because of UI interactions; under the hood it's pretty good (although there may be a lack of support because everyone's sticking with Windows 7).

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

MUFFlNS posted:

Doesn't Windows 8/8.1 have a lot of technical hiccups with various games, though? I'm not sure if it was through reading the community hubs for various games on Steam or wherever, but I recall seeing quite a large amount of complaints for various games all being broken or not working correctly in Windows 8/8.1 and the general consensus being to revert back to Windows 7 and stick with it, especially since the new DX doesn't really offer anything worthwhile?

Been playing Baldur's Gate just fine in windows 8.1., and Baldur's Gate was released in 1998.

None of the games I've played (at least 15) have had any issue with the Windows 8 platform (old and new). I may have gotten lucky however, and I understand that.

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm far from knowledgeable of all the details of just how exactly 8 stacks up against 7, but I definitely get a strong impression that it's best to stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft releases Windows 9 or whatever, since they tend to operate on a cycle that alternates between releasing a great OS followed by a terrible one.

If this comes from the idea that every other OS from Microsoft is a miss, that is crazy talk. Windows 8 can't even be remotely compared to Windows Vista :what: To go even further, Windows 8.1 is miles better than Windows 8 (8.0). A lot of the chatter about Windows 8 being crap came from die-hards early on in the release. Windows 8 was released 1 year and 4 months ago. A lot has changed since then. Don't forget that the same complaining went on early on in the release of Windows 7 as well and many of those complaints didn't die down until after the release of Windows 7 service pack 1.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
A couple weeks ago a friend wanted to play l4d2 and usually when we do this we get on voice chat in steam so we can call each other motherfuckers while shooting at the same time. I hadn't used it since reinstalling Windows and now it doesn't recognize my mic. The headphones work fine, but I get no response in the mic config options. It's been a while since I had to gently caress with these settings. Is there anywhere else I should look?

Also assuming the thing is just busted, and recommendations on a headset that doesn't break the bank?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

notZaar posted:

I ran various benchmarks on my desktop under a clean/fresh install of Windows 7 and then did the same again under Windows 8 (8.0). None of the hardware changed between tests. After reviewing the results I threw Windows 7 out the second story window.

In short, Windows 8 is more clean and lean under the hood, and this is why it's *actually* better. From what I have seen, people have really been resisting the change due to the UI differences. What I don't get is why a gamer would care about that anyway, don't people play (most) games in full screen mode? I know that I do.

Edit:
Answering your question -> It hasn't shifted because the masses haven't gone out and discovered these findings for themselves. After-all, ignorance is bliss. Or so they say. :haw: I just think it's funny to see history repeating itself.

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 19, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Edgy Bees posted:

I ran various benchmarks on my desktop under a clean/fresh install of Windows 7 and then did the same again under Windows 8 (8.0). None of the hardware changed between tests. After reviewing the results I threw Windows 7 out the second story window.

Out of curiosity, what % of difference and with what games are we talking here?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Edgy Bees posted:

Don't forget that the same complaining went on early on in the release of Windows 7 as well and many of those complaints didn't die down until after the release of Windows 7 service pack 1.

This is wrong. Factually wrong.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Edgy Bees posted:

In short, Windows 8 is more clean and lean under the hood, and this is why it's *actually* better. From what I have seen, people have really been resisting the change due to the UI differences. What I don't get is why a gamer would care about that anyway, don't people play (most) games in full screen mode? I know that I do.

People resisted the change because Win 8 did things like completely gently caress up mouse input in a whole bunch of games.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Male Man posted:

People resisted the change because Win 8 did things like completely gently caress up mouse input in a whole bunch of games.

Yeah, this was the major reason not to move to 8.1 once that came out. Has this been totally fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Burning Mustache posted:

Out of curiosity, what % of difference and with what games are we talking here?

Anywhere from +2% to +8%. Which is quite substantial from just an OS upgrade in my opinion.
If I'm remembering correctly, there was some minor performance degradation in Path of Exile early on, but that has since been fixed (By the PoE developers.) It now runs at the same level for me. ~0% change.

• Locked thread