Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I can't believe the police make courtesy phone calls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

This is driving me crazy because I actually stopped speeding, at all, in my entire neighbourhood just to stop something like this from happening and she called the cops anyway. She's also extremely thick so I don't picture any reasonable argument to work. Which I'd have difficulty articulating anyway because nothing fills me with unadulterated rage quite as much as people not minding their own business. Who has the time for this bullshit? Doesn't she have a job or something?

Why doesn't she complain about the local drug dealer who cruises around in a lowered Toyota Cressida with the plate [G THANG], or the pig hunter next door who rides a completely unroadworthy, unregistered 50cc dirt bike around the neighbourhood with no helmet?

Also the cop who called me on the phone this morning said 'multiple complainants' had 'identified my bike' as doing some preposterous poo poo, like riding over a footbridge that crosses some railway tracks near my house :lol::wtf:

I asked him how they could possibly know it's me and he said I match the description. Yes, a black bike with a guy wearing black riding gear and black helmet. I hate this country sometimes.

Never talk to the cops on the phone. It is possible that they will literally make up an admission of guilt and it's their word against yours.

I know from personal experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

These aren't American cops so that isn't likely, they're more likely to either send me a 'cut it out or else' letter, or just come to my house and give me a stern talking to. I'm being cautious and not riding the zx10 to work now regardless, I'll just take the gl145. They're welcome to try accuse me of speeding on that.

I'm also going to have a wander around my area and see if I can spot a blue Daihatsu sirion so I can talk to the stupid woman and try to reason with her. I don't need this poo poo in my life right now.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

These aren't American cops so that isn't likely, they're more likely to either send me a 'cut it out or else' letter, or just come to my house and give me a stern talking to. I'm being cautious and not riding the zx10 to work now regardless, I'll just take the gl145. They're welcome to try accuse me of speeding on that.

I'm also going to have a wander around my area and see if I can spot a blue Daihatsu sirion so I can talk to the stupid woman and try to reason with her. I don't need this poo poo in my life right now.

I hate you foreigners and your bizarrely reasonable police forces.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Good luck. In my experience, these people can't be reasoned with. I once had a moped, top speed 35 kmh downhill, with a tail wind. A local grumpy old woman started calling my dad (I was 15 yo at the time) every day telling him that I was "speeding through the streets on my motorcycle". This on a road that, to begin with, had a 50 kmh speed limit and no one followed that either. I tried talking to her one day explaining that not only was my "motorcycle" not even capable of speeding but I was in fact going a lot slower than the other traffic. Her response was something semi-coherent about motorcycles and death, and the words "I can hear you racing by, so don't try and tell me you don't". She couldn't get it into her mind that me going completely balls to the walls full throttle was slower than even she drove by.

Last year an older guy, redder than a tomato in the face, actually jumped out in front of me and started screaming about me going too fast (I was obeying the speed limit and told him so, he said "like gently caress you where"). My friend who passed him moments before me, going at least 15 kmh faster than me in his car was not a problem for some reason.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I hate you foreigners and your bizarrely reasonable police forces.

American cops would have given you a courtesy no-knock raid and shot your dog.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cops are nice, the law isn't. Speeding laws are so ridiculous here that if they decide to take this woman's word for it and prosecute me, I'll end up losing my license and gaining a criminal conviction. This is likely to cost me my job, and also means I'm not likely to get another decent one for many years, I won't be able to further my certification, and I'd have trouble starting my own business. All because of this woman's do-goodery.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Good luck. In my experience, these people can't be reasoned with. I once had a moped, top speed 35 kmh downhill, with a tail wind. A local grumpy old woman started calling my dad (I was 15 yo at the time) every day telling him that I was "speeding through the streets on my motorcycle". This on a road that, to begin with, had a 50 kmh speed limit and no one followed that either. I tried talking to her one day explaining that not only was my "motorcycle" not even capable of speeding but I was in fact going a lot slower than the other traffic. Her response was something semi-coherent about motorcycles and death, and the words "I can hear you racing by, so don't try and tell me you don't". She couldn't get it into her mind that me going completely balls to the walls full throttle was slower than even she drove by.

Last year an older guy, redder than a tomato in the face, actually jumped out in front of me and started screaming about me going too fast (I was obeying the speed limit and told him so, he said "like gently caress you where"). My friend who passed him moments before me, going at least 15 kmh faster than me in his car was not a problem for some reason.

This is my nightmare scenario.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Appeasement probably won't get you anywhere, sadly.

If things really are looking that bad, the cops seem to clearly be taking her word that you're a dangerous lawbreaker. Ask them why. Ask them about exact times, dates, places. Make sure they understand that you can't possibly be doing these thing because you were at work/visiting your uncle/whatever. The only thing that'll help against "a witness" is showing that the witness is unrealiable by supplying your own.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

The cops are nice, the law isn't. Speeding laws are so ridiculous here that if they decide to take this woman's word for it and prosecute me, I'll end up losing my license and gaining a criminal conviction. This is likely to cost me my job, and also means I'm not likely to get another decent one for many years, I won't be able to further my certification, and I'd have trouble starting my own business. All because of this woman's do-goodery.

This is my nightmare scenario.

Get a GoPro, smile to the camera/show that day's newspaper before each leg of the commute, and mount it aiming at your speedometer especially in your neighborhood. It'll be a boring month of riding, but video evidence is king.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Appeasement probably won't get you anywhere, sadly.

If things really are looking that bad, the cops seem to clearly be taking her word that you're a dangerous lawbreaker. Ask them why. Ask them about exact times, dates, places. Make sure they understand that you can't possibly be doing these thing because you were at work/visiting your uncle/whatever. The only thing that'll help against "a witness" is showing that the witness is unrealiable by supplying your own.

I'll see if they get in contact with me again and maintain an extremely low profile in the meantime; no riding anything but my GL145, no speeding whatsoever. They hopefully will be too busy to bother over the christmas break and find something else to do.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Get a GoPro, smile to the camera/show that day's newspaper before each leg of the commute, and mount it aiming at your speedometer especially in your neighborhood. It'll be a boring month of riding, but video evidence is king.

This is an idea I like.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Maybe track every ride with GPS on your phone?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress it, dude. Move over the pond with us.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress it, dude. Move over the pond with us.

Paddleboat + tie downs + modern 1k cc bike.

Around the world in 80 days with ramp tricks off waves.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If by 'pond' you mean the entire pacific ocean :( I'd like to, believe me.

edit ^^^^^that is an amazing idea. wonder how fast a zx10 powered dinghy would be?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 19, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This is the best idea. No interacting with the crazy, plus you discredit her. Do it on your zx10, then after a month speed with impunity forever while giving her the finger and pulling a wheelie across her yard.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
What kind of hosed up country do you live in where old people aren't scared of getting killed and stay hidden inside their hoarder nests? On a related story the people across the street from me think I'm a drug dealer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I live in New Zealand where old people have a political party and "think of the children" is an election platform and we have (very graphic) government sponsored ads on TV featuring people getting horribly mangled/killed in car crashes followed by huge block lettering saying SPEED KILLS! The police are devoting all of their efforts in December to a speeding crackdown which means they'll forego their usual 5km/h leeway and ruthlessly ticket anyone even 1km/h over the limit in the name of public safety.

I'm going to dig out my cheap lovely old camera and mount it right in front of my cluster for a few weeks.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
1 kph over is ridiculous, and 5 isn't much better.

The general rule here is 9 (mph) you're fine, 10 you're mine.

E: come to think of it, how can they even justify 1 over with the error in the speed gun and speedometer? Pretty crazy...

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 19, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

This is the best idea. No interacting with the crazy, plus you discredit her. Do it on your zx10, then after a month speed with impunity forever while giving her the finger and pulling a wheelie across her yard.

loving lol.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Maybe track every ride with GPS on your phone?

Yeah do this plus the camera/gopro idea. Also don't come to the US because if you get hurt or sick then you're hosed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

People think bikes are speeding because in general they are loud. In the old neighborhood I was yelled at a few times for speeding (I wasn't), I remedied it by riding through the neighborhood in 3rd gear instead of second. Cars are for the most part pretty quiet but a bike or scooter reving it's rear end off draws attention.

GoPro with speedo is a good idea if you think it's ever going to court.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am hating winter right now. My car seized the idler pulley, snapped the belt, and $500 later I have a new pulley and belt installed. On the way home from the dealership with my newly installed parts, I creamed a deer at about 55mph. Front drivers side is all smashed up. I dont know if it will be totalled or not yet. All this and I have to rely on my wife to drive me to and from work. I really wish I could take the DRZ right now.

I know, first world problems, which of my number of vehicles that exceed the number of people living in my house can I or can I not take, right? Either way, this is the ranting chamber, and I'm pissed.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This seems like a really good excuse to take the drz all day everyday for everything. What's stopping you?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

This seems like a really good excuse to take the drz all day everyday for everything. What's stopping you?

Snow, ice and salt?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Madness update:

Every morning, I start whichever bike I'm riding, wheel it outside, put my helmet on and close the garage with it still running as a little brief warm-up. This morning, before doing any of that, I walked down my (somewhat long, concealed, downhill) driveway and out on the street and there was no one around. I live in a cul de sac. So I proceeded with my routine. As soon as I jump on my bike and start rolling down my driveway, I see the crazy woman in her car turning around at the foot of my driveway.

She drives off up my street and I ride behind her. My street ends in a T-junction onto a long crescent which itself junctions with the same main road on either end. She turned left (the way I normally go to get to work). I deliberately turned right and went the long way to get to the main road. Cruising down the main road, I see her stopped (not parked, her foot was on the brake) by the side of the road. As I rolled past I deliberately looked straight at her and she intentionally kept looking away and pretending she couldn't see me. After I went past, a bus pulled away behind me and she pulled away behind the bus, eventually I think I just lost her in the traffic shuffle.

What in the gently caress.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I

Slavvy posted:

Madness update:

Every morning, I start whichever bike I'm riding, wheel it outside, put my helmet on and close the garage with it still running as a little brief warm-up. This morning, before doing any of that, I walked down my (somewhat long, concealed, downhill) driveway and out on the street and there was no one around. I live in a cul de sac. So I proceeded with my routine. As soon as I jump on my bike and start rolling down my driveway, I see the crazy woman in her car turning around at the foot of my driveway.

She drives off up my street and I ride behind her. My street ends in a T-junction onto a long crescent which itself junctions with the same main road on either end. She turned left (the way I normally go to get to work). I deliberately turned right and went the long way to get to the main road. Cruising down the main road, I see her stopped (not parked, her foot was on the brake) by the side of the road. As I rolled past I deliberately looked straight at her and she intentionally kept looking away and pretending she couldn't see me. After I went past, a bus pulled away behind me and she pulled away behind the bus, eventually I think I just lost her in the traffic shuffle.

What in the gently caress.

If your hobbit police take her word as gospel that you're speeding why not ring and make a harassment complaint against her.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe she thinks you're cute and she's flirting.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My condolences, Jim. I forget its not 30 and clear everywhere. No way I would risk my bike if salt was all over. Did you at least take the life of the deer that so horribly inconvenienced you?

slavvy, that lady is CRAZY and you should absolutely take steps with your local police and explain what is going on. I mean, skulking about your home, following you, calling in false police reports? This is serious stuff.

Personally, I don't understand what makes people think its OK to get up in your face when you are on a bike. I've never seen anything like it, and I ride much more reserved than I ever did in cars. Either people are 100% enamored with you and super friendly or, in most cases, think you are some villain that they own and can scold and harass. As if this is in any way acceptable or sane. As if the normal social barriers no longer exist because you are not in a car.

People need to focus more on driving and using a turn signal once in a while, and less on being nosey uninformed idiots.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

nsaP posted:

Maybe she thinks you're cute and she's flirting.

MISSED CONNECTIONS- W4M that shy motorcycle guy:

Waited outside ur house today, but lost my nerve and drove away. To my happy surprised you followed me but you must have lost ur nerve 2 because you sped away. Saw u later but was 2 shy to look at you. Changed my mind and tried to catch up but a bus got between then you drove away so so fast when u noticed me. I keep calling the police hoping they will pass my message along, but all I get from them is that "they will talk to you". PLEASE LOVE ME.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The next time I see her car I'll make a note of the plate number and give the cops a call.

Coydog posted:

MISSED CONNECTIONS- W4M that shy motorcycle guy:

Waited outside ur house today, but lost my nerve and drove away. To my happy surprised you followed me but you must have lost ur nerve 2 because you sped away. Saw u later but was 2 shy to look at you. Changed my mind and tried to catch up but a bus got between then you drove away so so fast when u noticed me. I keep calling the police hoping they will pass my message along, but all I get from them is that "they will talk to you". PLEASE LOVE ME.

This is hilarious!

Coydog posted:

My condolences, Jim. I forget its not 30 and clear everywhere. No way I would risk my bike if salt was all over. Did you at least take the life of the deer that so horribly inconvenienced you?

slavvy, that lady is CRAZY and you should absolutely take steps with your local police and explain what is going on. I mean, skulking about your home, following you, calling in false police reports? This is serious stuff.

Personally, I don't understand what makes people think its OK to get up in your face when you are on a bike. I've never seen anything like it, and I ride much more reserved than I ever did in cars. Either people are 100% enamored with you and super friendly or, in most cases, think you are some villain that they own and can scold and harass. As if this is in any way acceptable or sane. As if the normal social barriers no longer exist because you are not in a car.

People need to focus more on driving and using a turn signal once in a while, and less on being nosey uninformed idiots.

Sadly the general public don't see this type of person as a lunatic here, she's a Concerned Citizen Doing The Right Thing. I'll take steps, anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Snow, ice and salt?

It was 55 degrees today. I'd forgotten what 3rd gear, crossed up power wheelies off the crests at the exits of corners felt like. 690 bike best bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

It was dead when it hit the ground

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

yo Slavvy move to SoCal since NorCal is already full on cool peeps and we're hurting pretty badly down here

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

It was 55 degrees today. I'd forgotten what 3rd gear, crossed up power wheelies off the crests at the exits of corners felt like. 690 bike best bike.

:mad:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

yo Slavvy move to SoCal since NorCal is already full on cool peeps and we're hurting pretty badly down here

Sweet bro I'll hook the paddle wheel to the rear sprocket this w/e.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

*Presses LIKE button*

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That was probably on the way from a threesome heading to pick up his megamillions winnings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The california socialist paradise wins again!

BlackMK4 posted:

*Presses LIKE button*

You've seen what it's like out here and you still live in AZ. :saddowns:

n8r posted:

That was probably on the way from a threesome heading to pick up his megamillions winnings.

You invent really extravagant fantasies for my life :allears:

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Z3n posted:

It's been 4C/39F and rain for a couple of months and it's probably going to be like this for 3 more. Or maybe snow if we're lucky.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Snow, ice and salt?

GUESS AGAIN :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The salt has finally killed my 690. Front of the wiring loom, under the headlight, is rotten and left me stranded at my girlfriend's place. I'm riding her cherry red Piaggio PX50 "vespa" between the various local auto shops for new hookup wire and connectors.

Going to be a weekend of multi meters, soldering irons, vaseline, self amalgamating tape, blood and frustration.

Also I will try and fix the bike.