Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

HondaCivet posted:

This post feels a little weird to write but here goes . . . How do you guys stay consistent with training when sadbrains poo poo is going on in your life? I've been battling depression and anxiety . . . well my whole life really but more actively the past year and it's really hard to get into the gym sometimes. I took a break for awhile and now I'm doing one a week, maybe twice, when I should be going three times. If I can even get myself out the door I freak out every time I make any kind of mistake during class. My gym (BJJ) is super cool and 100% supportive of everyone so no one is beating me up for sucking but me. I have fun when I'm in already in an OK mood but if I'm not, going to class can make things worse. Does anyone else struggle with stuff like that? And yes I have a therapist and all that.

Judo pretty much cured me from my pseudo-no-official-diagnostic "depression" so I wouldn't know how I manage to stay consistent. It's always pretty much been something I need to do if I want to feel good. I'm almost always looking forward to training (this is very rare for me to be that motivated by something). For me it's that thing that can make almost anything better. Sure there are nights when it doesn't work. But it's extremely rare that I feel worst when I come back. I never really had to force myself to go (especially when I was just starting out) since for what I guess was the first time of my life I was super motivated by something.

Obviously it's going to be different if you have real clinical depression, but I have trouble seeing how it can hurt. Staying committed will probably make you feel better about yourself, doing sports is always a great thing for general mental well being, getting good/seeing yourself improve at something is great too and making new friends never hurts.

Good luck with your sadbrains, while MA probably won't cure you, seeing a therapist and doing sports is probably a great step in the right direction.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

it's engaging in a life or death struggle that takes all your mental focus.

IMO, if you don't get this feeling (and enjoy it) every so often in training, you're not training right. When I am not feeling good in the real world and I get back into the gym, I know that I'm entering a house built of my own will. The truth is simpler here. I accept where I am weak and have confidence in where I am strong. This routine and structure granted by training can't help you get right on its own, but it can be a good place to be for an hour or two.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you feel like poo poo and don't want to train, and then you don't train, you'll wallow. But if you feel grumpy and you go anyway, you'll feel a lot better afterwards. It's not like "you'll be proud of yourself" or anything like that, it's engaging in a life or death struggle that takes all your mental focus. It's cathartic and will get anything aggressive out of your head, too.

This is totally how I feel about it. Training is a great vacation from stressing out about other stuff. There's no opportunity to worry about anything else in my life if some dude is trying to choke me unconscious. When I'm feeling stressed I forget about that and want to skip class, but I'll drag myself in because I know that by the end of class my brain will be appreciative that I stopped stressing out about work for awhile. Even when I get my rear end kicked and I'm physically beat up, it somehow feels refreshing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HondaCivet posted:

This post feels a little weird to write but here goes . . . How do you guys stay consistent with training when sadbrains poo poo is going on in your life? I've been battling depression and anxiety . . . well my whole life really but more actively the past year and it's really hard to get into the gym sometimes. I took a break for awhile and now I'm doing one a week, maybe twice, when I should be going three times. If I can even get myself out the door I freak out every time I make any kind of mistake during class. My gym (BJJ) is super cool and 100% supportive of everyone so no one is beating me up for sucking but me. I have fun when I'm in already in an OK mood but if I'm not, going to class can make things worse. Does anyone else struggle with stuff like that? And yes I have a therapist and all that.

When I'm feeling like poo poo about something or another nothing makes me feel better than a good workout. Gets your mind off of whatever is bothering you and afterwords you just generally feel better for having gotten a good workout in.

When I'm tired and stressed from work/life and don't want to go to Judo I force myself to go and am always glad that I did, even if I was dreading it beforehand.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks guys. I've heard similar things from the people in my gym so I guess it's just me. People with serious depression probably aren't well-represented in BJJ I suppose. I'll keep trying to go as much as I can while realizing that I probably can't be as consistent as a normal person.

Mindfulness is cool and I should try it again/try to stick with it this time. I don't know why setting aside 20 minutes a night is so complicated. :smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks guys. I've heard similar things from the people in my gym so I guess it's just me. People with serious depression probably aren't well-represented in BJJ I suppose. I'll keep trying to go as much as I can while realizing that I probably can't be as consistent as a normal person.

Mindfulness is cool and I should try it again/try to stick with it this time. I don't know why setting aside 20 minutes a night is so complicated. :smith:

If rolling isn't doing it for you, maybe you can find someone to drill with. That may do a better job of breaking you out of it because the repetition has kind of a meditative effect, and then the side benefit being you'll perfect a move to make you more effective when you do roll.

disclaimer: I'm not a therapist/yoga instructor/lawyer etc

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I just had an introductory Muay Thai lesson today at OpenMat in Toronto and even though all I learned was jab, cross, and knee it was still a lot of fun. I found it to be fairly easy to pick up the individual parts of each movement, but harder to consistently put them all together. Looking forward to BJJ there as well. Hopefully it's as much fun as the Muay Thai.

I've seen some posts in the past about Gi's, but I can't find them at the moment. Where, online or real life, would be the best place to buy Gi's that aren't too expensive? Oh, and also good boxing gloves since we need to bring our own for Muay Thai classes.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

MagicCube posted:

I just had an introductory Muay Thai lesson today at OpenMat in Toronto and even though all I learned was jab, cross, and knee it was still a lot of fun. I found it to be fairly easy to pick up the individual parts of each movement, but harder to consistently put them all together. Looking forward to BJJ there as well. Hopefully it's as much fun as the Muay Thai.

I've seen some posts in the past about Gi's, but I can't find them at the moment. Where, online or real life, would be the best place to buy Gi's that aren't too expensive? Oh, and also good boxing gloves since we need to bring our own for Muay Thai classes.

For gi's I'd watch bjjhq.com and wait for them to put one up you like (its a deal-a-day site). I've also picked them up from livelovefight.com and vulkanstore.com, they're both good but Vulkan Ultralights are my favorite gi…I've gotten one direct from them and one off of bjjhq, the one on bjjhq was like $30 less.

For gloves probably mmawarehouse.com or maeqd.com. Prices are probably comparable but in my experience maeqd has vastly superior customer service if anything is hosed up with your order.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MagicCube posted:

Take a minute to learn and a lifetime to master.

I like Kimono, Tatame and Fuji. Relatively cheap and sturdy as poo poo.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

MagicCube posted:

Glad to hear you checked them out. I order most my stuff online - depending on what you get the shipping may not be worth it. Just south of Open Mat is CKT. They have some of the best prices for martial arts equipment in the city.

I rock a fuji gi for judo and ordered it from karatedepot.com. KingColliwog ordered his gi from gillsports.ca. I've never bought from him but there's this guy on craigslist (Caveat emptor!).

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I checked out the aforementioned BJJ/Kickboxing gym that was close to me and while they seem really cool and know what they're doing, their rates are either $150/mo month-to-month, $110/mo for 12 months, and $100/mo for 15 months. It's either this or another close Muay Thai place for $100/mo to sign 3 months at a time. It's just so daunting to sign up for BJJ with absolutely no equipment of my own, so it's gonna be a hefty couple hundred dollars to even start. The OP said to watch out for places that try to get you to sign long-term, but this seems to be around the same for every other MMA place around the Bay Area in California, and even higher for places in the big cities (nothing above $150/mo, but always yearly contracts). Do I just live in a crappy part of the state or is this becoming common practice nowadays?

Just out of my own interest though, I want to at least get gloves that I can use on bags before I even start in anything. I was shopping around tonight since everything's on sale due to Christmas season, but I'm confused about the two most common type of gloves I see being sold in stores:

"Classic" seems to be way more poofy and have more volume, while "Pro" seems to be smoother. Personally the "Pro" felt better on me, but I'm just curious as to the difference and what I should pick up. The BJJ gym I'm considering joining told me to get typical, Everlast 16 oz. gloves (even though a 14 oz. feels better on me because my hands are small) if I wanted to do the kickboxing days, so I just want to pick up a pair beforehand. I also saw some similarly-looking gloves labeled "Muay Thai Boxing Gloves" and wondered what the difference was.

While I love the prospect of learning serious BJJ, I'm kind of disappointed there's no competitive MMA-centric gym anywhere close by. I have yet to check out a place in town that promotes "shootfighting," but I'm confused as to why there's so many different definitions of Shooto/shoot boxing/shootfighting variants online and if practicing that discipline in general is too niche. I plan on visiting this gym that, on the surface, seems to do mainly karate, but their website seems like it's something out of 1997.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
My g/f suggested we get this http://youtu.be/2hp-8doEVOY . Should I? Y/n

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
poo poo's like 6 G's. Spend that money on a real gym instead.

If you want to waste your money though, find one of these used: http://www.discountonlinefitness.com/star-trac-box-master-base-unit.html

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

Willsun posted:

[...]
While I love the prospect of learning serious BJJ, I'm kind of disappointed there's no competitive MMA-centric gym anywhere close by. I have yet to check out a place in town that promotes "shootfighting," but I'm confused as to why there's so many different definitions of Shooto/shoot boxing/shootfighting variants online and if practicing that discipline in general is too niche. I plan on visiting this gym that, on the surface, seems to do mainly karate, but their website seems like it's something out of 1997.

Is the drive to Sacramento for Urijah Faber's gym too much hassle?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

Glad to hear you checked them out. I order most my stuff online - depending on what you get the shipping may not be worth it. Just south of Open Mat is CKT. They have some of the best prices for martial arts equipment in the city.

I rock a fuji gi for judo and ordered it from karatedepot.com. KingColliwog ordered his gi from gillsports.ca. I've never bought from him but there's this guy on craigslist (Caveat emptor!).

How do you know/remember that?

Yeah, if you do judo I highly recommend gill sports competition gi's thick as gently caress and indestructible. But I wouldn't recommend them for BJJ since the cut is different and people seem to somehow prefer gi's that are less thick for bjj (although I get a few comments like "wtf is this gi, it's so thick you rear end in a top hat I can't grab it" everytime I went to a new BJJ place so thick double weaves probably have their place in BJJ too but remember this one will have a judo cut so bigger sleeve openings which is bad for bjj since you can pistol grip/inside the cuff grip/whatever rear end in a top hat grips you guys are allowed to use.

Also, if I had to buy a bjj gi right now I'd just watch BjjHQ until they had a cool gi of the day. Just look for reviews for that specific model and if it looks good grab one.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2013

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

How do you know/remember tat hahaha?

Yeah, if you do judo I highly recommend gill sports competition gi's thick as gently caress and indestructible. But I wouldn't recommend them for BJJ since the cut is different and people seem to somehow prefer gi's that are less thick for bjj (although I get a few comments like "wtf is this gi, it's so thick you rear end in a top hat I can't grab it" everytime I went to a new BJJ place so thick double weaves probably have their place in BJJ too but remember this one will have a judo cut so bigger sleeve openings which is bad for bjj since you can pistol grip/inside the cuff grip/whatever rear end in a top hat grips you guys are allowed to use.

My experience has been that BJJ guys prefer to roll in lighter gi's outside of competitions since they're not so loving hot. (but yeah, in comps or if you're really trying to "win" thicker is better since its harder to grab)

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Orange Somen posted:

Is the drive to Sacramento for Urijah Faber's gym too much hassle?

You should not even need to go that far (though obviously depends on your location). A page back or so was a list of serious bjj and mma centric gyms in the bay area (mainly between sf and sj) just off the top off people's heads. Now if you're referring to mma centric gyms that don't encourage half year/year contracts then that may cut out a lot. From what I've seen the trend for a lot of places is to go with longer term contracts so I'm not sure if that is the immediate red flag it may have been in the past.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Willsun posted:

I checked out the aforementioned BJJ/Kickboxing gym that was close to me and while they seem really cool and know what they're doing, their rates are either $150/mo month-to-month, $110/mo for 12 months, and $100/mo for 15 months. It's either this or another close Muay Thai place for $100/mo to sign 3 months at a time. It's just so daunting to sign up for BJJ with absolutely no equipment of my own, so it's gonna be a hefty couple hundred dollars to even start. The OP said to watch out for places that try to get you to sign long-term, but this seems to be around the same for every other MMA place around the Bay Area in California, and even higher for places in the big cities (nothing above $150/mo, but always yearly contracts). Do I just live in a crappy part of the state or is this becoming common practice nowadays?

Just out of my own interest though, I want to at least get gloves that I can use on bags before I even start in anything. I was shopping around tonight since everything's on sale due to Christmas season, but I'm confused about the two most common type of gloves I see being sold in stores:

"Classic" seems to be way more poofy and have more volume, while "Pro" seems to be smoother. Personally the "Pro" felt better on me, but I'm just curious as to the difference and what I should pick up. The BJJ gym I'm considering joining told me to get typical, Everlast 16 oz. gloves (even though a 14 oz. feels better on me because my hands are small) if I wanted to do the kickboxing days, so I just want to pick up a pair beforehand. I also saw some similarly-looking gloves labeled "Muay Thai Boxing Gloves" and wondered what the difference was.

FWIW my boxing coach has always said to train in the largest gloves you can find.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Is the FG5000 worth $400? For me, yes. The extra face protection is worth the weight.
Cool thanks. I have the FG2900 but might switch

HondaCivet posted:

Do it the lazy way - sitting up in bed as you're about to sleep. Less of a mental hurdle to get over

Friendly Friend
Sep 2, 2011

Willsun posted:

I'm going to be moving to Vacaville next year and I was actually thinking of training at Fabio Prado's. He's Urijah Faber's BJJ coach so that's pretty cool. The drive to Urijah's gym in Sacramento is not too bad, but it's not a drive I would like to make too often. I say, if the drive doesn't bother you, check out http://ultimatefitness.pro/

And yeah, most places in the Bay Area will offer longer contracts, but it's more important to watch out for places that don't actually offer month-to-month payment plans. Also, don't trust places that don't let you try one or a couple classes for free.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

district of thizz posted:

You should not even need to go that far (though obviously depends on your location). A page back or so was a list of serious bjj and mma centric gyms in the bay area (mainly between sf and sj) just off the top off people's heads. Now if you're referring to mma centric gyms that don't encourage half year/year contracts then that may cut out a lot. From what I've seen the trend for a lot of places is to go with longer term contracts so I'm not sure if that is the immediate red flag it may have been in the past.

I assumed since he linked Tracy's he was living in the Davis area.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Orange Somen posted:

I assumed since he linked Tracy's he was living in the Davis area.

Yep. I just saw that they wrote bay area and was reminded that it was mentioned about a page or two ago.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm sort of close to Davis, and Sacramento is about 40 minutes away from me. But like Friendly Friend said, I wouldn't want to make that drive either for the amount of times I'd want to train every week.

Dangersim posted:

FWIW my boxing coach has always said to train in the largest gloves you can find.

I'll buckle down for 16 oz. gloves then. Not that I'm doubting the advice, but what's the reasoning behind it? Is it purely for the sake of having as much padding between my fist and someone's body when I hit them? I really do have smaller hands, but I tried wearing the 16 oz. gloves and I can use them just fine.

Friendly Friend posted:

I'm going to be moving to Vacaville next year and I was actually thinking of training at Fabio Prado's.

Once I scrape up enough money for gi + sparring gear, I'll probably take them up on the 15 month contract thing. Another reason I'm waiting is because I really do want to get the kickboxing thing in, but the guy who teaches it is out due to injury. They said he's well-versed in Muay Thai, and that he would be ready again in February or so.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Willsun posted:

I'll buckle down for 16 oz. gloves then. Not that I'm doubting the advice, but what's the reasoning behind it? Is it purely for the sake of having as much padding between my fist and someone's body when I hit them? I really do have smaller hands, but I tried wearing the 16 oz. gloves and I can use them just fine.

Tbh I'm not experienced enough to know for sure, but I believe a big part of it that when you actually fight (with 12 oz gloves) you feel fast as gently caress.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Another nice thing about big gloves is added defense when blocking.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you want a fun way to waste a few hours, put on Ryan Hall's Back Attacks DVD, ignore everything Ryan has to say, and just focus on how colossally loving stoned Ryan's training partner is.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Happy moments in life! A friend who started boxing maybe two years ago and sparring maybe a year or so ago actually HIT me for the first time. I wasn't even giving him a target or trying to teach him or anything.

He hit me in the face! In actual sparring. Yay! I am so happy! I was hit in the face!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

KingColliwog posted:

How do you know/remember that?

Also, if I had to buy a bjj gi right now I'd just watch BjjHQ until they had a cool gi of the day. Just look for reviews for that specific model and if it looks good grab one.
So even Gill sports BJJ cut is thick? There aren't many places online to buy gis in Canada so it's easy to remember (also I have it bookmarked as Gillsports Gi <-- KingColliwog SA :)). I was going to pull the trigger on buying it but bought 2 fuji gis instead since karatedepot.com was running a $40/ea sale special.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Got ringworm on my arm. First time I've had it, google m.d. Says I can treat it with OTC anti-fungals, anyone know if it's possible to overdose on boom tough actin tinactin?

mewse
May 2, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Got ringworm on my arm. First time I've had it, google m.d. Says I can treat it with OTC anti-fungals, anyone know if it's possible to overdose on boom tough actin tinactin?

If I don't shower as soon as I get home, I get some nasty jock itch that responds well to clotrimazole. OTC anti fungals are designed to be topical

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Ligur posted:

Happy moments in life! A friend who started boxing maybe two years ago and sparring maybe a year or so ago actually HIT me for the first time. I wasn't even giving him a target or trying to teach him or anything.

He hit me in the face! In actual sparring. Yay! I am so happy! I was hit in the face!

A whole year of sparring to get to that point? Seems a little long...

I don't know how long I've been sparring but I've recently actually started being able to land some counter-punches(and just improved flow in general, more comfortable with my technique) and it's pretty drat satisfying. I still have a bad habit of turtling up/flinching when people are hitting me but it's a lot better than it was at first.

Now if only my gym had more sparring sessions. I'm probably leaving this location within a year though so I hope I can end up somewhere with a legit MMA gym close by.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

The Darlok posted:

A whole year of sparring to get to that point? Seems a little long...

He's been sparring lika a few rounds a week at most, so the year mounts to very little, apart from some sessions we've had that are 1 hour sparring only but those've been far and few between. I know people who have "sparred" for a year and maybe get 50-100 rounds during the whole year, so (talking just hobboyist/fitness boxers here to elaborate).... Some boxers who look to compete get that in a week. Or three days.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

Every OTC antifungal has directions for Ringworm on the package. Follow that and you'll be fine. Just make sure you sit out until it is cleared up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

So even Gill sports BJJ cut is thick? There aren't many places online to buy gis in Canada so it's easy to remember (also I have it bookmarked as Gillsports Gi <-- KingColliwog SA :)). I was going to pull the trigger on buying it but bought 2 fuji gis instead since karatedepot.com was running a $40/ea sale special.

I wouldn't know about their bjj cut since I've never seen it. They make some training Gi's which aren't particularly thick so that might be the weave they use for their BJJ gis. If you have questions contact them, they answer fast and you can see it's someone actually typing stuff and not just some copy-paste BS.

40$ a piece certainly is a crazy good price for pretty much any gi.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Xmas sparring session! So fun! It was a bit improvised with a boxing friend who's quite decent (better than me and impervious to pain), so we ended up doing 60 minutes of 2-3min boxing, 2min just moving, 2-3min boxing, then again moving, with basically no rest and in the later rounds I was dropped with the MOST MOTHERFUCKING SICKEST HURTY LIVERSHOT I HAVE EVER loving RECEIVED. gently caress. It was the perfect loose shot that sunk into my liver and partially paralyzed my solar plexus both at the same time :v: I didn't even know that's possible!

Incredible discomfort, it felt like an eternity but I probably spent around 60 seconds literally crawling on the floor on all fours dry heaving for breath while trying to simultaneously deal with the pain. Like we've discussed before, the liver shot is the the most pleasurable KO shot of all: your mind is all there unlike with hard headshots, you can think clearly, and you feel it all while it's happening. Now I don't have the core muscles of a trained boxer, and I wasn't breathing out when the shot sank in but to me it's incredible to think some people can take one of those and survive a 10 count to continue the fight. I was ready to continue, like, after two minutes maybe, not 9 seconds.

I hope the rest of my xmas is as fun! Hugs to all and good xmas to all you A/T MA thread guys and girlz!

mewse
May 2, 2006

How does your side feel now? When I was training for a bout this summer I got cranked in the ribs and was popping 800mg ibuprofen a few times a day for like 2-3 weeks to get to fight day

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

How does your side feel now? When I was training for a bout this summer I got cranked in the ribs and was popping 800mg ibuprofen a few times a day for like 2-3 weeks to get to fight day

It's ok.

I didn't want to eat more hooks even NEAR my liver after that tonight, that's for sure (in fact we did just head shots for the last 4 rounds) but it's pretty good. No pain if I press it or anything. It feels "tender" but that's all.

edit1: now after 4+ hour it's totally painless - but that stuff cheats you, I might be not able to stand next morning after sleeping, will write trip-report. But now it feels just like a perfect liver-shot with no rib or other tissue or muscle damage at all.

edit2: Yeah it was just a beautiful liver shot, my ribs & side are a-ok. Funny how something that hurts you so much leaves you in full health very soon after. And I'm no wuss about getting punched either :argh: One of my trainer partners said it's one of my weird quirks, I never stop and quit even when completely overmatched and outpunched in the face and body and genitals and feet and everywhere, but yesterday I felt true pain you simply can't shut off or ignore :v:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 24, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Been meaning to make this post a few times, but finally I'ma gonna do it. Nothing much else to do today. You guys know how people play soundtracks in the gym sometimes? Even in martial arts gyms? Sometimes we train silent except for the thud of the mitts, the gurgle of chokes and gloves hitting (my) liver. But our 50 year old club owner is the best. He always chooses rap, but it's also always something that's good to fight or hit a back with though, don't know how he does it.

But what are the tracks YOU guys listen to?

My new favourite is this. Didn't even know about Atreuy until last week. This is also another favourite of mine. That's the only song I ever play people regularly come to ask about after a class and not to talk about the class. "What was that song, you know with the raspy sound? Yeah, it was Omar Linx and Cowboy."Moby with his Flower is always fun too, especially when doing squats or slamming bags or something. Like in that crazy crossfit video. This is almost breaking the borders too much but for an angry heavy bag tabata Raised Fist & Sound of the Republic makes guys kill everything. We're not being cheesy name droppin' hipsters here and for sport you can listen to anything that has drive, so Linkin Park & Faint also works. So does T.I with Hurt, rather surprisingly well to me. Professor Green is also awesome for a fitness kickboxing class. They'll jump around and dance withtout even noticing.

When you chill after class and stretch and just drop your heart rate, Younger Brother is magic. Just tell people to lie down, let their muscles melt into the mat and breath slowly. I swear the girls have a thing with this. Or I like to think so at least. Massive Attack's Man Next Door is also a terrific cooldown and stretch track.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
At my club we pretty much just loop the Power Rangers theme for every class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

At my club we pretty much just loop the Power Rangers theme for every class.

What an awesome idea, burning the disc now.

• Locked thread