Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

SuperDucky posted:

:golfclap:

So my e46 touring has shot CABs. I've got fresh powerflex purples ready to go on tomorrow. I've done e36 front suspensions but that was all at one time. The DIYs on e46 fanatics and the like make it look pretty straightforward, anything I should be looking out for?

Are you just pressing in the new powerflex? Or did you get new arms as well? I hope if you're pressing them you have the right tools to do it. It's an easy job with the right tools. Also have about 3-4 feet of socket extensions and a nice hefty U-joint so that you can get to the drivers side bolt on that control arm from the top. Also if you need new motor mounts you might as well throw them in as well since the only thing in the way of those is the control arms. You could also do your steering guibo if you're down there already...another easy job.

E: if I remember correctly, the passenger side control arm is easier to get off if you have a very skinny open ended wrench. 21 or 22 mm I think.

LudwigVon Lugnuts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

Cojawfee posted:

The 128i was probably the last real Ultimate Driving Machine. N/A straight six, manual transmission, hydraulic steering.

Exactly why I bought one.

Properly spec'd you are around 3100lbs or less(can easily get much lower), and with the proper mods(DISA manifold, SuperSprint headers, Evolve tune) you are at ~300hp. Couple that with the ability to use M3 suspension components as the E82 platform shares with the E9x and you actually have a pretty sweet car, especially for the modern era.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My DD whip got some new shoes:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

Those look great. What size/manufacturer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
All original BBSeseses RS001 15x7 et25. someone repainted the centers at some point so I will probably disassemble, clean, repaint and put wider lips on them at some point but I'm happy for now.

I cant even get the center caps to fit right now because the car has studs that are too long.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They look loving sweet. I am jealous. When are you gonna paint your chrome trim? :getin:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Looks great! I'd love to put some clean BBS on the e30 but I've been dumping to much into the M3 lately :( Someday, someday...

Speaking of, when I was in High School my dad picked up (and I got to drive for awhile) a 1989 325i coupe. It had this gold metallic colour but I haven't been able to figure out what it was and if it was unique. He tells me it was some special edition but I'm not so sure I believe that. It had gold BBS wheels though, it was a pretty car and he regrets selling it off when the transmission started to crap out as it would have been great to restore.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's not bronzit is it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that seems to be it! Not as rare as I thought I guess, but I dug the colour.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IIRC it's one of the least desirable colors to most BMW fans so you might be able to work that angle for a few bucks off if you ever buy one.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So there is a 2002 330xi for Sale near me and I was looking for something I can drive year round for commuting. Beyond GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM, is the rear subframe an issue for 2002 or any other items I should pay close attention to if I go for a test drive?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I unironically love bronzit as long as it has blacked out trim. Sahara beige on e46s is awesome too. I've always found BMWs weird colours look really good, but I can never find them and have ended up with silver or black on 5/6 of mine.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

So there is a 2002 330xi for Sale near me and I was looking for something I can drive year round for commuting. Beyond GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM, is the rear subframe an issue for 2002 or any other items I should pay close attention to if I go for a test drive?

Not much subframe risk, but besides evaluating overall quality, check the window regulators and sunroof, etc and make sure the seats all work, check all the rubber trim, check the door locks, check the climate controls/fan, check out the brakes/pads, then listen for any "marbles bouncing" type sounds from the engine. Then give it a stout drive and brake hard, take your hands off the wheel and see if it wants to go straight still, then weave around back and forth and stuff just to see if it feels okay (you'll know if it doesn't)

all the rubber poo poo is about to fail if it hasn't already, just so you are prepared

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 18, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

I unironically love bronzit as long as it has blacked out trim. Sahara beige on e46s is awesome too. I've always found BMWs weird colours look really good, but I can never find them and have ended up with silver or black on 5/6 of mine.

Sepang bronze color looks sooooo good but I still can't bring myself to like bronzit.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Koirhor posted:

Just go over this list:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46#What_should_I_look_out_for.3F

Not everything they say is gospel, but it's a great starting point for going over a car with a fine tooth comb. Also seconding the everything rubber is about to give out. (I just replaced all that poo poo. It can be fairly expensive and some of it really sucks to replace if you DIY.)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Also check the front axles for torn CV boots.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I've got a power steering leak on my N42, which I'm pretty sure is this suction hose from the reservoir to the pump. It looks like it's leaking at the hose clamp. Is this something that can just be re-clamped or should I buy a new hose too?

vvv thanks. Is the hose still useable though? Do they deteriorate/creep in the engine bay after 12 years?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 19, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That type of clamp is only used once. Replace with a hose clamp that is appropriate for that type of hose.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also shout out to Keyser. New shift knob arrived, it'll be a definite improvement for the M3.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

The 128i was probably the last real Ultimate Driving Machine. N/A straight six, manual transmission, hydraulic steering.

PFFT. E36s are the last Ultimate Driving Machines. N/A straight six, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, cable throttle. :smug:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Does anybody have a bad or good opinion about a high mileage 6spd 335i ? The one I'm looking at has around 95k miles. I am able to do my own maintenance for things like suspension, brakes, basic things other than inside the motor and transmission.

I've been telling myself it's an awful idea but the more I look into the more doable it seems. A lot of suspension and brake parts are very reasonably priced (albeit some things non-OEM, like Moog). Salvaged or rebuilt transmissions are less than what mine would cost now, and are plentiful. I had a hard time finding the actual engine cost but that's pretty low on my worry list (or should it be?).

It's got two turbos to go bad I guess, over the one I have. But mine is a K04 and cheap.

I'm assuming every non-vital part (like interior trim pieces, for example) would be really expensive.

The main thing that has made me not consider most German performance-y cars is the cost of aftermarket parts. It can get absolutely ridiculously outrageous, the most blatant price gouging I've ever seen. And if I owned a turbo BMW like this one I would sure as hell at least go full bolt on. Well, a feature (to me) of this particular car is that somebody already spent all their money on this. It's full bolt on, full exhaust, intake, JB4 selectable tunes, coilovers, intercooler, etc. And some stuff I wouldn't buy but would completely enjoy, such as angel eye HIDs, nice BBS wheels, nice little duck tail spoiler. And the parts the last owner picked were not the cheap brands. The ad claims $15,000 in aftermarket parts and after adding up a few that is completely feasible. It's from a dealer that specializes in modified cars and is the same dealer I got my current car from. I trust them from my one singular experience but that is hardly proof that this car is in good shape, but there is a level of comfort there.

It's $2000 over a similar (stock) car with that mileage, except for how clean it is. I haven't seen one like it elsewhere so far.

Funny fact, my insurance premium goes down 25% with this car.

I am moving closer to work and the cost of TOLLS alone will cover this car payment, not to mention gas.

My current car's mileage is 85,000 miles, and is paid off. My daily commute is being reduced to 8 miles a day versus 60.

I am basically looking for a good reason not to buy this car. I wasn't expecting to making probably 10 grand in debt this week, but I am really starting to want this thing really bad. The dealer is only 4 minutes down the street and it's taking everything I got not to just go test drive it. If I did I know it the decision would be over and I'd simply buy it. I want to make sure this isn't a bad, bad thing to do first.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What do you currently have?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Ziploc posted:

What do you currently have?

Cobalt SS T/C bolt on. Before that was an STi bolt on + protune. I am comfortable with turbo cars, but BMW is new territory for me.

Another important thing to add is I don't make a ton of money. Probably 40-45k at best. The upside to that is I have a total of $500 in debt and no car payment (no kids, wife, etc). My rent is going to be $550, insurance $150, regular apartment bills and whatnot. The reason I mention this is I won't have a lot of cash to fall back on if something drastic happens with this car, but if it's all regular problems and maintenance I should be comfortable. I'd plan on financing around $10,000.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That is a very pretty car, what are they asking for it? You seem to be worried about price of aftermarket parts but what the hell else would you want to put on that thing? If the previous owner like you said bought the quality parts then there isn't much more to add.

A Cobalt SS??? Go test drive that car, cause it's gonna make your Cobalt feel like a piece of tin wrapped in plastic... (hint, it is)

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 19, 2013

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Popete posted:

That is a very pretty car, what are they asking for it? You seem to be worried about price of aftermarket parts but what the hell else would you want to put on that thing? If the previous owner like you said bought the quality parts then there isn't much more to add.

A Cobalt SS??? Go test drive that car, cause it's gonna make your Cobalt feel like a piece of tin wrapped in plastic... (hint, it is)

19.8k. I don't look at most german cars because of the price of aftermarket parts - that's why this car is so appealing because there's nothing more I'd want to do. Yes, my cobalt will feel like a toy car after driving this one. I've been in plenty before but this one is going to blow me away when I directly compare it to the econobox I have as far as ride and interior quality. I imagine it will be a little faster too, but not too much.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you can cope with a surprise $5k bill at some point, do it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Cakefool posted:

If you can cope with a surprise $5k bill at some point, do it.

Well, I could, but that's really what I'm looking to find out. What sort of thing would lead to a surprise 5k bill for these cars?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ignoarints posted:

Well, I could, but that's really what I'm looking to find out. What sort of thing would lead to a surprise 5k bill for these cars?

Turbo, HPFP, annoying bullshit. I haven't heard to many things going wrong on them, but they are still pretty new.

I would be more concerned on how well this car was taken care of vs how clean it is. But generally a well taken care of exterior/interior generally means a well maintained car.

You know whats great about owning a BMW? Most of the poo poo already bolted to the car from the factory is fairly "preformancy" (M sport packages), so there is no need to run out and do a bunch of poo poo right out the gate. Enjoy it first as a stock car, then see what you need to do.

But yeah, when you drive it, your going to want to kick your Cobalt to the curb and be looking to sign paperwork.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Turbo, HPFP, annoying bullshit. I haven't heard to many things going wrong on them, but they are still pretty new.

I would be more concerned on how well this car was taken care of vs how clean it is. But generally a well taken care of exterior/interior generally means a well maintained car.

You know whats great about owning a BMW? Most of the poo poo already bolted to the car from the factory is fairly "preformancy" (M sport packages), so there is no need to run out and do a bunch of poo poo right out the gate. Enjoy it first as a stock car, then see what you need to do.

But yeah, when you drive it, your going to want to kick your Cobalt to the curb and be looking to sign paperwork.

I forgot about the HPFP. I considered the turbos but did not imagine it creating a bill that high. Both of those things I would replace on my own however. I'm concerned about things that I cannot. I'm glad to see that I don't see many catastrophic engine failures around the internet.

And it's not stock at all I wouldn't do anything to it likely. I've only bought stock cars in the past, but wouldn't mind getting one done right off the bat especially since the parts here cost $15,000 when to the rest of world it's maybe $3k in actual value ($1200 Corsa axle back ?? :lol:).

Well that's not true, I'd probably put in a quaife LSD I'm pretty amazed it has an open dif. It begins

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ignoarints posted:

Well then it wouldn't be a surprise then would it?:wink:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ignoarints posted:

I forgot about the HPFP. I considered the turbos but did not imagine it creating a bill that high. Both of those things I would replace on my own however. I'm concerned about things that I cannot. I'm glad to see that I don't see many catastrophic engine failures around the internet.

Again, these cars are pretty new, and I imagine the majority of the 07's with the turbos are just starting to hit 100k miles. So no one really knows over the long term reliability just yet. But I imagine in 2 years, we will start to know the catastrophic explosions.

But BMW strait 6's are pretty over built so I wouldn't worry to much.

FWIW, BMW rarely has a miss in terms of engine reliability, except for the M60 Nikasil, but that was more of a fuel than actual engine problems. Most of the time, its abuse that kills a BMW engine than actual design flaws.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the HPFP covered by a 10 year/200k mile warranty? Or would the aftermarket stuff void that?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

FWIW, BMW rarely has a miss in terms of engine reliability, except for the M60 Nikasil, but that was more of a fuel than actual engine problems. Most of the time, its abuse that kills a BMW engine than actual design flaws.

Abuse and lack of maintenance. I guess they're related.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Popete posted:

Isn't the HPFP covered by a 10 year/200k mile warranty? Or would the aftermarket stuff void that?

I wouldn't think a manufacturer warranty is going to cover engine modifications unless maybe you only use OEM or parts from an approved vendor that you have installed by an approved installer. They may but I really doubt it, people bolt stupid poo poo to their cars and a lot of the time do it wrong.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

I wouldn't think a manufacturer warranty is going to cover engine modifications unless maybe you only use OEM or parts from an approved vendor that you have installed by an approved installer. They may but I really doubt it, people bolt stupid poo poo to their cars and a lot of the time do it wrong.

Yeah but that isn't going to affect the fuel pump.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Well then it wouldn't be a surprise then would it?:wink:

from E90post.......

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Keyser S0ze posted:

from E90post.......

So what your saying is he should buy it...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

$7 for a quick shot of break cleaner on top of $950 in labor, that's just rubbing it in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
1000 in labor to change a valve cover gasket? Some one likes anal sex with out lube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

So what your saying is he should buy it...

And get it serviced at indy shops or DIY.