Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Am I the only one who never ever ever uses Web/Cloudkill/whatever because you have to wait until they're gone before you can rest/save? Even though I know cloudkill is like the #1 way to destroy BG1 (well, maybe after wands of monster summoning) I still never use it because it's inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Web combined with mass ranged weapons make some BG1 encounters really easy though. Plus you can always drink a potion of freedom or equip spider's bane to be immune to web.

I don't like cloudkill unless I know for sure it'll instantly kill everything. ~5ish damage per round is pretty lousy when I could be spamming fireballs instead.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Insurrectionist posted:

Am I the only one who never ever ever uses Web/Cloudkill/whatever because you have to wait until they're gone before you can rest/save? Even though I know cloudkill is like the #1 way to destroy BG1 (well, maybe after wands of monster summoning) I still never use it because it's inconvenient.

If you have a cleric, just have them cast zone of sweet air and it gets rid of cloudkill etc. (but not web or entangle).

Cloudkill works really well combined with animate dead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So here's a question for the thread:

Does Spell Immunity Abjuration protect against Dispel Magic/Breach/Warding Whip, that kind of stuff or not?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
SI: Abjuration doesn't protect against protection removers. It does protect against dispel/remove magic, however.

That's if you don't have SCS or some other spell revision mod installed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Suspicious posted:

SI: Abjuration doesn't protect against protection removers. It does protect against dispel/remove magic, however.

That's if you don't have SCS or some other spell revision mod installed.

Dang. Good to know nonetheless.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Insurrectionist posted:

I use it to exploit the fog of war and kill packs without actually fighting them :saddowns:

E:

Excelzior posted:

I like to cast Strength (lvl 2 mage spell) on them; it's a beneficial spell so they don't get to save against it and setting their strength to 18/50 is a dramatic LOSS for them. It also lasts 1 turn/level so at ToB levels there is no worry of it running out mid-battle.

This is loving brilliant!

Since I'm discovering these games only now (I was busy playing EverQuest, ok?), I find that what I miss the most are just information about the enemies. I'd like if they made it easier to determinate the strengths and weaknesses of the enemies. Like, I'm in Dorn's Deep now, and I have no idea what magic (if any) the Tarnished Sentries are weak to except the obvious blunt weapons. I suspected Acid, but it doesn't look like it, etc..

Do you have to know D&D in and out to get that kind of info, or am I just bad at this?

Furism fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 19, 2013

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Attestant posted:

Wouldn't that work on the various Dragons too? I imagine they must be well above 18/50 Str.

In the same vein, you know that cleric spell, 'Magic Resistance'? winkwinknudgenudge

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

inscrutable horse posted:

In the same vein, you know that cleric spell, 'Magic Resistance'? winkwinknudgenudge

So could a cleric/mage with a spell trigger put magic resistance/lower resist/lower resist in the trigger and effectively remove all of the dragon's magic resistance in one fell swoop?

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 19, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Every time I use Cloudkill in Baldur's Gate, I wish it was like Cloudkill in Planescape where it just murders *everything*. Piles of bodies instantly falling.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've never played BG games before and since I got BG:EE half-off I thought I'd try to play them.

Thing is BG:EE feels like poo poo. I keep entering inns and getting attacked by assassins who gently caress me up. Am I just bad at this and need practice or is the entire game going to be me reloading to cheese battles? I loving loved IWD1's combat and thought it would be more of the same but not so.

Also the dialog in BG:EE is kinda weird. I rolled a huge gently caress-off half-orc and one dialog had him getting the vapors when he killed someone.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Red Mundus posted:

I've never played BG games before and since I got BG:EE half-off I thought I'd try to play them.

Thing is BG:EE feels like poo poo. I keep entering inns and getting attacked by assassins who gently caress me up. Am I just bad at this and need practice or is the entire game going to be me reloading to cheese battles? I loving loved IWD1's combat and thought it would be more of the same but not so.

Also the dialog in BG:EE is kinda weird. I rolled a huge gently caress-off half-orc and one dialog had him getting the vapors when he killed someone.

BG1 is low-level D&D combat, which means that at the start of the game combat is going to be a whole bunch of misses followed by someone being one-shot. Also I don't think dialog in the BG series ever really changes based on your character in any significant way.

BG2's combat would probably be more fun for you if only because it's much less RNG dependent right from the start.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The assassins don't really start getting mean until you reach Nashkel. Well, the one outside of the Friendly Arm can be, but he picks a fight with you in an area where he almost always draws five guards to beat his face in.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm pretty sure chaos shield doesn't stack. Spamming horrid wilting and the HLA spell that isn't fire based (sorry, forget the name) works ok.

Not sure if BG2EE fixed this, but Improved Chaos Shied can stack with itself using Chain Contingency. By TOB this pretty much means free spells of any level from a 1st level spell each seemingly boosted by Improved Alacrity (since the spell selection menu Nahal's Reckless Dweomer brings up seems to work this way mechanically).

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The assassins don't really start getting mean until you reach Nashkel. Well, the one outside of the Friendly Arm can be, but he picks a fight with you in an area where he almost always draws five guards to beat his face in.

Okay, that was my problem. I bee-lined to Nashkel because that halfling and necromancer dude kept bugging me over and over to go there so I hit that town first. Should I just ignore their whining and go to the friendly arm inn?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Absolutely. They'll ditch you eventually if you ignore Nashkel forever, but you've got some leeway. You may die a time or two trying to get inside the inn itself, but you'll at least get a useful party member in there.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Emong posted:

BG1 is low-level D&D combat, which means that at the start of the game combat is going to be a whole bunch of misses followed by someone being one-shot. Also I don't think dialog in the BG series ever really changes based on your character in any significant way.

BG2's combat would probably be more fun for you if only because it's much less RNG dependent right from the start.

BG1 and IWD are both a lot of reloading because someone got one shot. Low level D&D combat is horrible - at least 2nd ed. anyway.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Red Mundus posted:

Okay, that was my problem. I bee-lined to Nashkel because that halfling and necromancer dude kept bugging me over and over to go there so I hit that town first. Should I just ignore their whining and go to the friendly arm inn?

you should kill them and take their stuff

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

flowinprose posted:

So could a cleric/mage with a spell trigger put magic resistance/lower resist/lower resist in the trigger and effectively remove all of the dragon's magic resistance in one fell swoop?

Yep. It's also very handy for Adamantite golems - they get 90% damage reduction against *weapon* damage, but load up that trigger and then go to town on them with puny magic missiles.

Basically cleric/mages are broken as hell.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 19, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also worth noting that the people who bitch at you to go to Nashkel stop once you talk to the mayor there. So if you're already there, you may as well speak to him, then you're free to do whatever with Xzar/Montaron/Khalid/Jaheira as they won't leave.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what are some good quests in BG2 for a first-timer to do early on? On a whim tonight I fired up the game I started, dicked around in Akthala a bit, and then didn't touch for a year or two and for whatever reason just playing for a few minutes made me want to dip back in more deeply, but I'm pretty slow to figure out what to do in battle so I need good quests to practice that. Cavalier NPC, chapter 2, and I've done only a couple quests in Akthala (Circus Tent, slave ring under the inn, Unseeing Eye cult are all I remember doing). I seem to remember being told once that de'Arnise Keep is a good one to do early? What other quests fit that billing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

C-Euro posted:

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what are some good quests in BG2 for a first-timer to do early on? On a whim tonight I fired up the game I started, dicked around in Akthala a bit, and then didn't touch for a year or two and for whatever reason just playing for a few minutes made me want to dip back in more deeply, but I'm pretty slow to figure out what to do in battle so I need good quests to practice that. Cavalier NPC, chapter 2, and I've done only a couple quests in Akthala (Circus Tent, slave ring under the inn, Unseeing Eye cult are all I remember doing). I seem to remember being told once that de'Arnise Keep is a good one to do early? What other quests fit that billing?

De'Arnise Keep is good, Unseeing Eye (the first thing you run into in the temple district) isn't too hard, though there's one fight in the sewers that can be hard, if it's too much you can go the long way around them. Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection. Umar hills isn't too bad as long as you've got a cleric and you get Mazzy, who can be a fun little archer.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

oswald ownenstein posted:

BG1 and IWD are both a lot of reloading because someone got one shot. Low level D&D combat is horrible - at least 2nd ed. anyway.

I remember being a bit annoyed when I first played BG because my previous experience with low level AD&D was with the Gold Box games and they had a "dying" status where characters wouldn't just die when HP dropped to 0, they'd lose one per round until -10 and could be healed normally after combat.

It would certainly be more difficult to implement in Infinity than the simple death mechanics, but it would go a long way towards making early combat less aggravating.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection.

You don't need to have a druid. You can have Cernd fight it even when he's not in your party and he'll win easily.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

De'Arnise Keep is good, Unseeing Eye (the first thing you run into in the temple district) isn't too hard, though there's one fight in the sewers that can be hard, if it's too much you can go the long way around them. Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection. Umar hills isn't too bad as long as you've got a cleric and you get Mazzy, who can be a fun little archer.

Unseeing Eye needs the Shield of Balduran otherwise its ridiculous and not for newbies. De'Arnise keep is good and most of the other quests you find that don't require you to leave the city are fine - the slavers, the thief quests in the docks and the Graveyard quests are always the ones I start with.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Unseeing Eye can also be handled by lots and lots of Raise Undead spam, but yeah, it can be aggravating.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I do Circus tent, Copper Coronet -> Slaves -> Sewers -> Slaver Ship, Harpers in the Docks, kill the adventurers in the Den of the Seven Vales, D'Arnise Keep, Windspear Hills (without killing the Dragon yet), Murders in the Bridge district, Trademeet quests, Umar Hill and then the Temple.

This will get you up and running, with very nice gear, spells and exp for the entire party. Also, you meet just about every useful NPC quickly (you can do some quick detours to pick up your most wanted, like Jan, Viconia, Keldorn, etc). After that, I just go do quest for whatever rewards I want, e.g. to go get the Celestial Fury or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Skwirl posted:

Umar Hills is pretty hard if you do it right out of the gate. I went Circus Tent -> Unseeing Eye(only long enough to get Keldorn) -> straight to Umar to get Mazzy ASAP in my current playthrough and the Shade Dungeon was pretty murderous as I didn't even have magic weapons for everyone so I had Minsc and the main character using non-proficient weapons just to hit the shadows.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is it possible to do watcher's keep in the Shadows of Amn part of the game and do you have to do it all in one go? I was thinking about making a run at the first level early for foebane.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Is it possible to do watcher's keep in the Shadows of Amn part of the game and do you have to do it all in one go? I was thinking about making a run at the first level early for foebane.

Floor 1 and 2 are easily doable pre Spellhold. Foebane is on the first floor.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Watcher's Keep doesn't show up on the map for me in BG2:EE in Chapter 2 for some reason, unfortunately. Anyone know how to fix it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea ("AR3000")

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Right, obvious. Didn't even think of that. Thanks.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Will the BG2 Tweak pack screw up an already existing save file? The gog version doesn't come with the icewind dale secret vendor :(.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So I'm having a peculiar bug in Spellhold. Yoshimo left the party, yadda yadda, I get in the fight with Irenicus but Yoshimo just kinda camps in the corner and never does anything. The script to fire his "final fight" just doesn't activate and if I talk to him he offers to rejoin.

Any ideas on how I might get him to do what he's supposed to? CLUAConsole or EEKeeper shenanigans I could try? I'd like to do the little quest where I give his heart to Ilmater and all that but just straight up attacking him with the script hosed would prrrobably cost me my Paladinhood. This is a multiplayer game I should note. I had no problems when I reached this same point with another friend :(

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Any ideas on how I might get him to do what he's supposed to? CLUAConsole or EEKeeper shenanigans I could try? I'd like to do the little quest where I give his heart to Ilmater and all that but just straight up attacking him with the script hosed would prrrobably cost me my Paladinhood.
You can generally kill joinable NPCs with impunity or reputation loss even if they aren't part of the party at the time. Other NPCs won't even bother going hostile. Try it out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Gamersgate is offering a Dungeons and Dragons anthology that includes all of the IE games and Temple of Elemental Evil for $5. I think last time this was posted someone mentioned that mods might not be compatible with these versions, so caveat emptor.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a replay of IWD2 but it's been a couple of years. First time I beat it I was playing as a group made up entirely of 4Fighter/XWizards that hit things with swords before blowing poo poo up with spells, which was effective but a little boring. This time I want to mix things up with overlooked classes (monk, druid, etc.) for some variety, so please post your favorite interesting builds to play.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

You can generally kill joinable NPCs with impunity or reputation loss even if they aren't part of the party at the time. Other NPCs won't even bother going hostile. Try it out.

Right, but "just" killing him wouldn't get me the Black Heart and ability to do his quest without the talk triggering would it?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Azuth0667 posted:

Yes and no.

Don't do it too early because if you're low-level the guy who drops it as loot doesn't spawn. Unfortunately I don't know the cut off point for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

moot the hopple posted:

Gamersgate is offering a Dungeons and Dragons anthology that includes all of the IE games and Temple of Elemental Evil for $5. I think last time this was posted someone mentioned that mods might not be compatible with these versions, so caveat emptor.

I've successfully installed and run mods using this very version of the games. I'm currently replaying BG1 with TuTu installed. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I have never had a problem.