Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was with my father a few minutes a go to grab some lunch.

In the car (of course) he had Limbaugh on the air complaining about how the majority of americans (read: whites), were sick of being "controlled" by the minority (read: blacks, hispanics, LGBT). He even claimed that the majority of christians clammed up about criticizing gay marriage due to being "afraid" of getting the same treatment as "phil" from duck dynasty.

He then went on about the gay population in this country is 2% and shouldn't be recieving that much attention as the heterosexual population.

Lycus posted:

So a private business refusing to serve gay people is a first amendment right, but a private business refusing to allow someone on the air because of their offensive remarks is a first amendment violation. I suppose that seems consistent if you're a bigot.

Exactly.

I'm so sick of these people acting like there shouldn't be consequences for being an rear end in a top hat.

They're horrible, racist, bigoted people that hide behind Christianity. They're a disgrace to this country, and a disgrace to the christian faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

kik2dagroin posted:

Stalinism has no little meaning to Rush or his listeners, it is simply another word for 'Bad Thing'

EDIT: I love his misogynistic rant right now about how a man was involved in a study where he agreed with his wife on everything and within 12 days had to call it off because of their unhappiness.

The study discussed in this article is really lovely. The justification/hypotheses is half a page of uncited assumptions and stereotypes. The actual results are based on a single couple. The analyses are just a straight out plot of self-reported happiness against time. No statistical analyses (not that you could run any with a single dyad). Is is a joke? Did it really take two MDs and a PHD to poo poo this one out? Why is a statistician an author on the paper? Why did the British Medical Journal publish this? It's poo poo "science" that will only serve as fodder for the talking heads.

Edit: I guess the Christmas issue of BMJ is supposed to be a joke. They got me. My point about talking heads taking it seriously still stands though.

Uberskooper fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 19, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This argument came across in my head.

Let's say..for whatever reason, I'm an african american gay atheist/muslim running a clothing store of some type.

I put up a sign (or somehow) find a way to say, "NO WHITES, NO CHRISTIANS, NO STRAIGHTS" up on the door, and when prompted about it I go "it's against my beliefs", in which I'd quote some Richard Dawkins quote, or something from Quran.

Ignoring the fact that each one of those has been historically not marginalized within this country (we're in a vaccuum let's say), would I not be up for a lawsuit? Would the people not crying about "religious freedom" be upset? Would they be consistent in agreeing I'd have the right to discriminate? Answer, No, not even close.

Let's say again, I'm a celebrity. I'm an IndyCar driver, and from the aforementioned background. I get interviewed by "Racer" magazine after winning the Championship, and am asked about my beliefs. I respond with how I felt similar to "Phil's" but flipped around.

Would I, my team, and my sponsors not be pressured by those same type of people pissed at A&E? No, chances are there'd be a poo poo ton of pissed off people, and my career would likely never recover from that.

I can somewhat respect consistency, if that's what the debate is about. But this group of people never shows any sort of consistency.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They have a picture nearly identical to this one on the A&E website. You're not actually revealing anything.

People of all backgrounds go golfing, and will all be dressed about the same.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Let's say that you're an employer who refuses to hire gay people. That's legal in most states, though a bill passed the Senate to make it illegal. You'll note a Mr. Cruz in the "nay" column on that one.

But I suppose suspending (whatever that means in the context of a fictional duck hunting show) an employee for saying something about gay people is a violation of our core rights as a nation, whereas preventing people from being fired simply because they are gay is a violation of the freedom of the market. These are obviously two very different issues.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

FuzzySkinner posted:

This argument came across in my head.

Let's say..for whatever reason, I'm an african american gay atheist/muslim running a clothing store of some type.

I put up a sign (or somehow) find a way to say, "NO WHITES, NO CHRISTIANS, NO STRAIGHTS" up on the door, and when prompted about it I go "it's against my beliefs", in which I'd quote some Richard Dawkins quote, or something from Quran.

Ignoring the fact that each one of those has been historically not marginalized within this country (we're in a vaccuum let's say), would I not be up for a lawsuit? Would the people not crying about "religious freedom" be upset? Would they be consistent in agreeing I'd have the right to discriminate? Answer, No, not even close.

Let's say again, I'm a celebrity. I'm an IndyCar driver, and from the aforementioned background. I get interviewed by "Racer" magazine after winning the Championship, and am asked about my beliefs. I respond with how I felt similar to "Phil's" but flipped around.

Would I, my team, and my sponsors not be pressured by those same type of people pissed at A&E? No, chances are there'd be a poo poo ton of pissed off people, and my career would likely never recover from that.

I can somewhat respect consistency, if that's what the debate is about. But this group of people never shows any sort of consistency.

Look, you're either on our team, or on their team. If you're on our team, you know what we want. If you're on the other team, you want the opposite of what we want. Why do you have to over think it? BTW, our team is the American team and we're the good guys.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Joementum posted:

Let's say that you're an employer who refuses to hire gay people. That's legal in most states, though a bill passed the Senate to make it illegal. You'll note a Mr. Cruz in the "nay" column on that one.

But I suppose suspending (whatever that means in the context of a fictional duck hunting show) an employee for saying something about gay people is a violation of our core rights as a nation, whereas preventing people from being fired simply because they are gay is a violation of the freedom of the market. These are obviously two very different issues.

Hypocrisy from the far-right? Why I never.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

You're looking at the wrong value. The GOP isn't defending the free market or free speech or whatever they're defending your right to be as hateful as you drat well please (exception: you aren't allowed to hate white people). The Republican platform makes perfect sense if you look at it from the angle of defending the right to exploit, hate, and harm your inferiors.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was with my father a few minutes a go to grab some lunch.

In the car (of course) he had Limbaugh on the air complaining about how the majority of americans (read: whites), were sick of being "controlled" by the minority (read: blacks, hispanics, LGBT). He even claimed that the majority of christians clammed up about criticizing gay marriage due to being "afraid" of getting the same treatment as "phil" from duck dynasty.

He then went on about the gay population in this country is 2% and shouldn't be recieving that much attention as the heterosexual population.

Exactly.

I'm so sick of these people acting like there shouldn't be consequences for being an rear end in a top hat.

They're horrible, racist, bigoted people that hide behind Christianity. They're a disgrace to this country, and a disgrace to the christian faith.

The population of fat, old, white, painkiller addicted, dominican (child?) prostitute abusing males in this country is pretty small too. I agree we should start ignoring them.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You're looking at the wrong value. The GOP isn't defending the free market or free speech or whatever they're defending your right to be as hateful as you drat well please (exception: you aren't allowed to hate white people). The Republican platform makes perfect sense if you look at it from the angle of defending the right to exploit, hate, and harm your inferiors.

What was the right's response when Alec Baldwin lost his MSNBC show recently? I don't think they spoke up for him and his freedom of speech.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Didn't these same, poor, persecuted people steamroll Dixie Chicks CD's, get Bill Maher fired, boycott Heinz ketchup, poo poo on Cindy Sheehan, forever tarnish the reputation of Dan Rather, Newsweek (and even Katie Couric), cut off Jeremy Glick's mic, smear Joe Wilson, out Valerie Plame, tell the OWS crowd to shut up and take a bath and take a huge poop 9/11 widows who spoke out against the Iraq war?

These are just off the top of my head.

Sooooo....if Chic-Fil-A does a thing or fires a gay person, it's the free market, but when some dumb redneck on some stupid TV show I'll never see does a thing and get's suspended for it, it's tyranny? Have I got that about right?

I'm expecting "Duck Dynasty" bumper stickers in my county at any moment.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

He even claimed that the majority of christians clammed up about criticizing gay marriage due to being "afraid" of getting the same treatment as "phil" from duck dynasty.

Awesome. Mission accomplished.

ed

eBay pulled my auction when I told them I wouldn't swap one of their charities. It's back up without my specific charity listed if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370967213543?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 19, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The early church fathers were tortured to death, set on fire, and eaten by lions as public spectacle for their beliefs - having people frown at me for expressing my opinions about gays and "shintos" is pretty much the exact same thing, really.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That makes sense to the people that think paying taxes is the same as slavery or that opposing a tepid healthcare bill is like being in jail 27 years for fighting Apartheid.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Didn't that Duck Dynasty guy also say something akin to Black Americans being happier and closer to God when they were in the fields?

*googles*

Yes, yes he did. As well as saying that since he's white trash he's just like a black person. So black people are trashy too. Golden.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't these same, poor, persecuted people steamroll Dixie Chicks CD's, get Bill Maher fired, boycott Heinz ketchup, poo poo on Cindy Sheehan, forever tarnish the reputation of Dan Rather, Newsweek (and even Katie Couric), cut off Jeremy Glick's mic, smear Joe Wilson, out Valerie Plame, tell the OWS crowd to shut up and take a bath and take a huge poop 9/11 widows who spoke out against the Iraq war?

These are just off the top of my head.

Sooooo....if Chic-Fil-A does a thing or fires a gay person, it's the free market, but when some dumb redneck on some stupid TV show I'll never see does a thing and get's suspended for it, it's tyranny? Have I got that about right?

I'm expecting "Duck Dynasty" bumper stickers in my county at any moment.

It is improper to silence a conservative but you must silence those that disagree with conservatives because they are wrong.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Didn't that Duck Dynasty guy also say something akin to Black Americans being happier and closer to God when they were in the fields?

*googles*

Yes, yes he did. As well as saying that since he's white trash he's just like a black person. So black people are trashy too. Golden.

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2013/12/phil-robertson-unites-westboro-baptist-and-nom-both-standwithphil.html

all the best types of people endorse his comments too!

Yeah, shocked the black comments have yet to bite him yet.

I keep recalling how the "Blue Collar"/"Redneck" thing popped up during the Bush years. To me it's kind of on it's way out, and I keep remembering the one quote by David Cross about Larry the Cable Guy, which is strangely fitting:

quote:

“He’s good at what he does. It’s a lot of anti-gay, racist humor – - which people like in America – all couched in ‘I’m telling it like it is.’ He’s in the right place at the right time for that gee-shucks, proud-to-be-a-redneck, I’m-just-a-straight-shooter-multimillionaire-in-cutoff-flannel, selling-ring tones-act. That’s where we are as a nation now. We’re in a state of vague American values and anti-intellectual pride.”

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Been meaning to post this for a few days, did anybody else hear the lady on Rush who said her kid got credit in school for reading Rush Revere? It was just points towards a reading requirement to pass 7th grade, but still, I figured she was going to say the teacher wouldn't allow it. Granted this is in North Carolina, and it doesn't matter at all, but Rush was obviously loving it and it was sickening. She said something to the effect of "I'm doin my best raisin little Rush babies!"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Dick Morris's latest column struck me as being a really good example of a Dick Morris column.

quote:

Boehner Eats His Young
By Dick Morris on December 14, 2013
http://www.dickmorris.com/boehner-eats-his-young/

Wherein Dick Morris thanks the Tea Party for getting Reagan elected, and warns that Boehner might find himself without a House majority to make him Speaker if GOP stops looking to guys like Ted Cruz, Newt Gingrich, and Mike Huckabee for the ideas and energy it needs to keep winning elections.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

FMguru posted:

The early church fathers were tortured to death, set on fire, and eaten by lions as public spectacle for their beliefs - having people frown at me for expressing my opinions about gays and "shintos" is pretty much the exact same thing, really.

Huh? Is anti-Shintoism a thing now? Or is it some sort of racial epithet directed towards East/Southeast Asians (particularly Japanese people)?

Edit: Oh, apparently this is some poo poo the Duck Dynasty idiot said. Never actually heard that one before.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

*googles*

Yeah, I don't get why all the media attention is on the homophobic comments, but barely anyone is mentioning the racist and anti-every-religion-but-Christianity quotes.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I missed Rush's program today but some clips on the internets exist of the Duck Dynasty bonanza that took place on his show today:

Rush Limbaugh posted:

Now, excuse me for just a second here, but who is being discriminated against here except Phil Robertson? Who just lost a job because of religious beliefs? Phil Robertson. Nothing happened anybody at GLAAD. Nothing happened to any gay people or homosexual people. Nothing happened to them. He says what he says in GQ. He ends up getting fired, and GLAAD starts running around talking about, "We're not gonna put up with this kind of discrimination." Well, then you better start demanding he be rehired, because he's the only guy that's been discriminated against, if you ask me.
Now, a lot of people are saying, "Rush, when are the people on our side gonna learn you don't do interviews for GQ?" I was talking to some people last night about this. I don't think Phil Robertson is dumb or naive. I actually believe that the purpose of Duck Dynasty is to spread their religious views, not to spread the word about their duck business. I think they are devout Christians, and I think they're using that program to spread, in their own subtle way -- I mean, they don't preach it, they live it, and in the process I think they're trying to speak up and spread their Christian values. They're looking at this as, "Gosh, we got a TV show to do this," and they're taking full advantage of it.
Now, John Podesta, has he been suspended yet? Has he been fired yet? 'Cause he went out and he called the entire Republican Party Jonestown. He compared the Republican Party to Jim Jones and that cult at Jonestown. Well, they were mass murderers. They were a genuine cult. The Duck Dynasty guy here is suspended and fired in an eye blink after what he said. Podesta, what he said offended 10 to 20 times as many people as what Phil Robertson said.
Butt plugs. Does anybody out there know what a butt plug is. Snerdley, you probably do. You know what a butt plug is? (interruption) Well, then, I mean, here it is being casually discussed. It's a late-night TV show. (interruption) I know there's nothing casual about a butt plug. But nobody's offended. They're laughing and they're joking, and they're having a wonderful time and all. Here's the thing, folks -- and my question is for all of you at GQ and all of you leftists who are just mock outraged over this, and that's what it is. It's mock outrage.
Well, I just found out what a butt plug was. I didn't even know. I had to engage in deep consultation to find out. I'm not gonna even go there. I know what it is. If you care enough, ask your mom. No? Okay. Ask your dad. What would be more appropriate? Who'd be more likely to know? Folks, a butt plug, a lot of people look like they're wearing one when they're not, just to give you an idea. You've seen them. You can spot 'em all over.

They're all over MSNBC.

Everybody on MSNBC is using one, except Al Roker. He needed one when he was at the White House. See, we can casually discuss this. It's not a problem. But let Phil Robertson go out there and talk about his views on homosexuality as expressed in the Bible and so forth? You look at what he said. He didn't really say anything, didn't attack anybody. It really is amazing.
Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-iXqM-2w4
Yes, it really is amazing :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kik2dagroin posted:

I missed Rush's program today but some clips on the internets exist of the Duck Dynasty bonanza that took place on his show today:

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-iXqM-2w4
Yes, it really is amazing :allears:

:catstare:

Well, that's not a segue I expected.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Oh great, now Rush is going to say that every liberal needs to get their butt plug out of their asses when they say something he interprets as complaining.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yes Rush, Jennifer Lawrence telling a dumb story about receiving butt plugs as a gag gift is exactly the same as Phil Roberston equating homosexuality to beastiality and saying blacks were happy under Jim Crow. Has your body fat has migrated into your brain?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you please give some context to the whole butt plug thing? I mean, was all that text really just his way of working towards calling people on MSNBC butt plugs? :psyduck: gently caress, I need to stop reading these threads - this kind of bile and immaturity can't be healthy. No wonder that people who immerse themselves in it come out the other side as the demented, screeching things you see in Freep and comments sections.

Also I refuse to believe that someone who gets caught on sex tourism trips with bags of illegal boner pills doesn't know what a buttplug is.

edit: So apparently an actress told a funny story about sex toys? Who the gently caress cares? Like, I know in my head that old conservative people hate sex but when I see it in the wild I can't even process it.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2013

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Sharkie posted:

Can you please give some context to the whole butt plug thing? I mean, was all that text really just his way of working towards calling people on MSNBC butt plugs? :psyduck: gently caress, I need to stop reading these threads - this kind of bile and immaturity can't be healthy. No wonder that people who immerse themselves in it come out the other side as the demented, screeching things you see in Freep and comments sections.

Also I refuse to believe that someone who gets caught on sex tourism trips with bags of illegal boner pills doesn't know what a buttplug is.

edit: So apparently an actress told a funny story about sex toys? Who the gently caress cares? Like, I know in my head that old conservative people hate sex but when I see it in the wild I can't even process it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8KjKFyROaU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator David Vitter (R-LA) has released a statement in support of the Duck Dynasty dude. Vitter also voted against ENDA, though it's unclear where Vitter stands w/r/t an employer's right to fire people with diaper fetishes.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Joementum posted:

Senator David Vitter (R-LA) has released a statement in support of the Duck Dynasty dude. Vitter also voted against ENDA, though it's unclear where Vitter stands w/r/t an employer's right to fire people with diaper fetishes.

I looked but didn't see so maybe I just didn't look thoroughly enough but doesn't ENDA have no religious specific protections? It's just sexual orientation and race protections?

My main question is how is it related to Duck Southerners

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I refuse to believe that today, December 19th 2013, Year of Are Lord, is the first time Rush Limbaugh has ever heard of a butt plug. I absolutely refuse to believe that to the very core of my existence.

quote:

I looked but didn't see so maybe I just didn't look thoroughly enough but doesn't ENDA have no religious specific protections? It's just sexual orientation and race protections?

Wouldn't matter. He wasn't suspended for being Christian, he was suspended for being an rear end in a top hat.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

So did our lovely governor, Bobby Jindal: http://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=2&articleID=4374

Lafayette, LA's weekly, the Independent, noted that there's a bit more going on here than simply piling on in support of someone popular with the base:

quote:

IND Editors’ Note: There’s an interesting dynamic at play in this situation when one considers that the Duck Dynasty cast members supported Vance McCallister against Jindal’s “shoo in” candidate, state Rep. Neil Riser, in last month’s runoff for the 5th Congressional District seat — a race won in a landslide by McCallister, who essentially came out of nowhere to fight his way into the runoff. That Jindal would pop off about A&E suspending Robertson for his ignorant remarks about gay people suggests to us that Jindal’s desire to pander to the base trumps any feelings that might have been bruised by the congressional race. Just sayin’.

If there's a perception in the GOP establishment that this reality show cast is some sort of political kingmaker in the state now, that might factor in with Vitter as well?

(This is so loving stupid.)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
He probably would have been suspended without any of his comments on gays just because of his comments on Jim Crow Louisiana.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

*googles*

And everyone who's vociferously defending him on the remarks about gays is just pretending that part didn't happen.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wouldn't matter. He wasn't suspended for being Christian, he was suspended for being an rear end in a top hat.

Oh no I'm not disputing that at all in was wondering what the relation was to representatives who didn't sign ENDA to their support for whoever the hell that guy is. It was either me missing a connection or not getting the joke. :saddowns:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've been loving all of the people claiming that the 1st Amendment means he can say whatever he wants, which is completely the wrong reading of the 1st Amendment. Good job guys.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been loving all of the people claiming that the 1st Amendment means he can say whatever he wants, which is completely the wrong reading of the 1st Amendment. Good job guys.

Including the gov of Louisiana and former VP candidate of the United States.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I could go off on a gigantic, alcohol-induced rant about how much I abhor Bobby Jindal(and Nikki Haley) but among my relatives, there's a reason we call them the Indian Uncle Toms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of course the governor who thinks he performed an exorcism in college is supportive of crazy religious beliefs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

beatlegs posted:

Including the gov of Louisiana and former VP candidate of the United States.

Also the lawyer who commissioned a painting of himself arguing a case before the Supreme Court with people in the foreground drawing him arguing a case before the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, I tried looking for that picture a few weeks ago and couldn't find it. Thanks.