Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AzMiLion posted:

Maybe some of the Deathscythe bits are on there?

You might be right there. The shoulders do look Deathscythe-ish, but I think the legs are from something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The thought of something as tiny as the HG Nobel weighing in at ¥3000 is blowing my mind a little.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

The thought of something as tiny as the HG Nobel weighing in at ¥3000 is blowing my mind a little.

Miss Sazabi is a pricey girl. :v:

I'm gonna guess it comes with a shitload of weapons/accessories.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Maybe even the complete Dream House!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Or it uses bits off all of Sazabi's frames maybe.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Does the 1/144 Universe Booster also include all the extra parts for the Star Build Strike?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You mean the weapons? I think so.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

muike posted:

You mean the weapons? I think so.

Awesome, if not oh well, I like the Universe Booster anyways so if I have to get the Star Build Strike separately it doesn't matter too much.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I mentioned to my mom that I was interested in getting into airbrushes and she mentioned that she might have an old airbrush in her studio from back when she was getting her Master's degree, and that if I can find it she'll give it to me for christmas. I go out and find it, and it's a goddamn Iwata Eclipse siphon-feed, practically mint condition in the box after ten years not being used. Anyone got a good list of stuff I should do to make sure it's in working condition?

Also, does anyone have that chart of the proper ratios for mixing future and a flat base to get different levels of gloss?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's wrong with hooking it up outside and seeing if it sprays?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bimmi posted:

I've recently switched from panel lining with Gundam Markers to doing a fairly sloppy dark-grey wash, after which I wipe the parts with an eyeglass cleaning cloth wetted with alcohol. This results in nice sharp lines without requiring a steady hand and also preps the parts surface for sticker application.

I prefer to do the wash while everything's still on the runner and clean it up as I assemble, for what it's worth.

I use cotton buds instead of a cleaning cloth because I like to throw stuff away a lot I guess. I also do clean up while it's on the runner, but that's bit me a couple of times when seeing the part as a whole would have been better.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried entering the gunpla x gundam contest?
I got a code to enter today.
After entering it, you do a short survey and it asks you to choose a prize.
Then it tells you that you lost, "try again"
I thought it was going to be a drawing not a on the spot redemption.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I go in and out of scale modeling every few years, but have never done any imported articulated ones before. I've got a couple with swiveling pegs that are a bit loose and want to flop around and/or fall out. Is there a product or trick that will make it a bit tacky and less loose without bonding it solid? I'm thinking basically the opposite of an aerosol silicone lubricant that'll make it a bit sticky instead.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frankenstyle posted:

I go in and out of scale modeling every few years, but have never done any imported articulated ones before. I've got a couple with swiveling pegs that are a bit loose and want to flop around and/or fall out. Is there a product or trick that will make it a bit tacky and less loose without bonding it solid? I'm thinking basically the opposite of an aerosol silicone lubricant that'll make it a bit sticky instead.

a topcoat or varnish of some sort will make the peg thicker and provide the friction you are looking for :pervert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

EthanSteele posted:

I also do clean up while it's on the runner, but that's bit me a couple of times when seeing the part as a whole would have been better.

This can also cause problems with parts snapping off the runners or just general stress which can increase scarring at the sprue point.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bimmi posted:

This can also cause problems with parts snapping off the runners or just general stress which can increase scarring at the sprue point.

drat! I don't use that much pressure because I am a dainty baby.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Some of the injection points on recent kits are tiny and give with very little pressure – but not all of them. Which can be a bummer when the weak one snaps and the thick one on the other side half-tears a chunk of plastic out of the part.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Frankenstyle posted:

I forget the exact method, but I believe Transformers fans will take a loose joint off, put some superglue on it but not put it back, let it dry, then put it back. The thin layer of dried superglue I believe causes enough friction. Or it might've been a different substance.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain Invictus posted:

I forget the exact method, but I believe Transformers fans will take a loose joint off, put some superglue on it but not put it back, let it dry, then put it back. The thin layer of dried superglue I believe causes enough friction. Or it might've been a different substance.

Yep, superglue (NOT polycement) on the joint and let it dry before re-attaching it. That's fixed many a flop-former for me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Our good friend Future floor wax can also coat the loose joint.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Invictus posted:

I use slow drying glue for that, a drop on the ball, swirl it around in the socket then take it out and let it dry, fixes up lovely joints good.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
You mean my MG Exia Ignition may be able to come back out on to a shelf without the aid of an action base?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

slightpirate posted:

You mean my MG Exia Ignition may be able to come back out on to a shelf without the aid of an action base?

I've fixed a couple of transformers that were literally unable to hold together due to balljoints that were molded at the wrong size(took if out of packaging, had a collections of pieces.)with that method so yeah, probably.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Man this sanding poo poo can take a long time, especially when your sandpaper is in a really awkward form factor.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So my christmas bonus came in early today and I went silly on Gunpla with it. I now have a new Tamiya tool set, fresh Gundam Fine Line markers and the MG EX-S and Sazaba Ver Ka on the way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Word on the street is that the Sazabi vKa is pretty much perfect. No glaring issues like all the other recent vKas, astounding articulation/stability, and of course it looks beautiful. Engineering is pretty much a more refined version of the Nu vKa's, and while sadly the LED means there's no space for a pilot figure in the cockpit, you can build a separate cockpit and put Char in there. Pretty much the worst thing you can say about it is that it's heavy, but that's not even a surprise.

Not being able to display the funnels is a bummer though. Wait for the webshop exclusive I guess.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Word on the street is that the Sazabi vKa is pretty much perfect. No glaring issues like all the other recent vKas, astounding articulation/stability, and of course it looks beautiful. Engineering is pretty much a more refined version of the Nu vKa's, and while sadly the LED means there's no space for a pilot figure in the cockpit, you can build a separate cockpit and put Char in there. Pretty much the worst thing you can say about it is that it's heavy, but that's not even a surprise.

Not being able to display the funnels is a bummer though. Wait for the webshop exclusive I guess.

I'm really excited for both to be honest. I like challenge and the Ex-S had me pretty hyped. I saw a bunch of stuff from the Sazabi and I'm just really excited seeing as it is considered to be freaking great. Kinda pondering using gold paint on some of the yellow bits like I did the Sinanju, but we'll see.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Let me know how the Ex-S works out for you, I've had my eyes on getting one myself. I got an S a while back, and while I love the kit and the suit to death, its total incompatibility with any display stand makes it a real pain in the rear end to display, short of using the kibble to prop it up. That display stand sounds like a real godsend. Assuming the additions don't somehow turn it into a real pain in the rear end, it's a beautiful build and you'll probably love it.

Also, after 20-some hours of putting on decals, my Banshee ver. Ka ver. OVA is finally complete and on my shelf. The thing is beautiful, especially when blacklit, but holy poo poo is it a pain. The gold leaf decals it comes with look great, but my normal decal setting solution and protective brush-on clearcoat I use to protect decals until the final matte coat ended up disintegrating them. I guess whatever Bandai used for those was way more sensitive than their usual waterslides. At least they packed spares.

I may buy one of the ver. OVA kits, converting it to a ver. Ka and just keep it in unicorn mode with the extra gold plated parts Bandai sends out.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
My friend recently got an EX-S and he said it's a bit of an engineering nightmare. Parts don't quite fit properly, etc. That being said he also got one of those replacement part kits so I don't know if it could be because of that too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

My friend recently got an EX-S and he said it's a bit of an engineering nightmare. Parts don't quite fit properly, etc. That being said he also got one of those replacement part kits so I don't know if it could be because of that too.

Replacement parts kits?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He probably means the Ex-S Patchwork conversion kit. 3rd party stuff rarely fits on perfectly, the actual kit itself is fine.

The Ex-S is an engineering nightmare though. It has one of the most ridiculous transformations of any Gundam, and drat if the build process doesn't live up to that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

He probably means the Ex-S Patchwork conversion kit. 3rd party stuff rarely fits on perfectly, the actual kit itself is fine.

The Ex-S is an engineering nightmare though. It has one of the most ridiculous transformations of any Gundam, and drat if the build process doesn't live up to that.

That transformation gif give me nightmare flashbacks to the Zeta 1.0.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
While we're on the subject of conversion kits, is there a site that has a good list of them? I've never done one before, but it might be cool to find a kit that converts the Zaku II 2.0 to the Zaku I.

Dalong has a good list of MGs, HCUCs and PGs, but sometimes I wonder what was in the old 80s model kit lines and what they were like, too. I wonder if there's a comprehensive list of them somewhere.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Normally I just go on ebay and search for "Gundam conversion kits". e2046 is another good place to look. Resin kits are really different from gunpla though, so you should probably check up a couple guide first.

And the Gundam wiki has what you want. It's not a single page or anything, but good enough. And to answer your question they were pretty lovely, with massive seam lines, bad proportions, bad articulation, and pretty much bad everything. There are a couple diamonds in the rough, but most of them blow.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone have clean lineart for a clanche custom? I need to figure out some paint scheme I can put together for it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

That transformation gif give me nightmare flashbacks to the Zeta 1.0.

Zeta is goddamn caketown babywalks next to the EX-S. It's a beautiful suit but jesus loving christ.

Also, how exactly does bandai's production process work, are they still making new EX-S kits or are they just selling what's left over? Because even if they're doing limited production of it, the molds being old as gently caress might be a reason for parts being out of spec.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bandai's still making new Ex-S kits. There are very, very few general release kits that cease production entirely (I think only Unicorn/Sinanju vKa, because vOVA replaced them). And the molds being old isn't as damaging as you'd think; my MG FA ZZ had some excess plastic on a couple parts, but everything fit together perfectly. Bandai's quality control is amazing.

EDIT: Contrast RDs, which almost never reenter production. :shepicide:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 22, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gammatron 64 posted:

sometimes I wonder what was in the old 80s model kit lines and what they were like, too. I wonder if there's a comprehensive list of them somewhere.

I could probably do this from memory, but it would be one loooong rear end post.

Some of those old kits are still surprisingly okay but there's no question that both the state of the art and changing tastes have left them pretty far behind.

VVV edit: it's amazing how much better some of these things look without the goofy colors.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 22, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

muike posted:

Anyone have clean lineart for a clanche custom? I need to figure out some paint scheme I can put together for it.

Best i can do is a gray scale one based on the imagery on the wiki, Any particular colors you have in mind for it?

THe right ones the base image I painted off of, just gave it my own interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

I could probably do this from memory, but it would be one loooong rear end post.

Doooooo iiiitttttt.

• Locked thread