Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know, it's way easier to spend $1 than to search all over the drat place for a .apk. Trying to navigate that poo poo is impossible with a mobile browser, and who knows how many viruses you're getting when you do it from your desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'd wager it's a lot higher than that. It's so easy to pirate things on Android that some people who might otherwise buy things just do that instead. If Google made it so that you could only install from unknown sources via ADB with a USB cable then it would cut down on casual piracy while still allowing developers to test on devices. It won't stop the most hardcore pirates, but I don't think there's much you can do about that without device-specific APKs.
I can only imagine the big fight with Amazon that would ensue.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cruseydr posted:

I can only imagine the big fight with Amazon that would ensue.
Amazon gets no say in this anyway because they don't play by the rules. gently caress 'em and gently caress their lovely Appstore.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Benjamin Black posted:

Can someone recommend me a matte screen protector that isn't a giant pain in the rear end to install? I tried the one from best skins ever and I was really surprised to find that they are very difficult to install. I ended up botching it and throwing $10 away.

Honestly at this point it's less about wanting to protect the screen and more about wanting a less glossy screen that doesn't show fingerprints nearly as much.

Edit: Ended up getting a tempered glass screen protector so I don't have to futz around with flimsy plastic anymore. Not exactly anti-glare, but it's oleophobic which is good enough for me.

Sorry for being late on this but in terms of a great brand of screen protectors that kill glare I've really been loving the Tech Armor brand protector on my HTC One.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bam thwok posted:

If I'm rooted, I won't be able to just use the OTA update, right? I have to wait until someone posts a zip of it and then apply it through recovery?

You can just use the OTA, but be ready for the highly likely scenario of losing root without a guarantee of being able to get it back. (Unless you have a Dev version of the Maxx)

If someone posts a ZIP and you apply it with stock recovery you're just manually doing what the OTA update does.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

sleepwalkers posted:

I get what you're saying, but as long as carriers have any say in the matter, it won't happen.
Edit: Apple did it right by bypassing the carrier entirely.
Apple does it right by not telling anybody that an update is coming until they've had time to validate it in all of their models. Google can't do that because the models people complain about aren't theirs to validate it against.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seems like either Motorola or Verizon wasn't a fan of white status bar icons.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Seems like either Motorola or Verizon wasn't a fan of white status bar icons.

It's missing a few other things like the new dialer theme.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought the dialer was a Nexus/GPE exclusive thing anyway.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Chalk me up as disappointed with the update - no GEL, no dialer, everything is still blue
The only real differences I've noticed is the GPS icon and the lockscreen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's also entirely possibly that they may end up pushing their launcher to the play store since they seem to be doing it with everything else. Oh well, I wasn't the only one complaining about the lack of UI changes on the feedback forum. I suspect it was Verizon driving this though, probably didn't want a ton of calls from people asking why it doesn't look like their phone is connecting to the network anymore.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Did the Moto X get the 4.4 UI changes and dialer?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

ProjektorBoy posted:

You can just use the OTA, but be ready for the highly likely scenario of losing root without a guarantee of being able to get it back. (Unless you have a Dev version of the Maxx)

If someone posts a ZIP and you apply it with stock recovery you're just manually doing what the OTA update does.

Well I only use root for adaway and tethering. Adaway I can live without, and I think the tethering workaround I use will survive the loss of root... so I'm good with the OTA. Bing™ it on.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Did the Moto X get the 4.4 UI changes and dialer?

Yep. You'd think the changes would be similar if "the only difference between the x and the maxx is screen and battery size". The internals could be identical, but it's clear they're being treated as completely different devices by someone. Whether that's verizon or motorola I'm not sure.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Well I only use root for adaway and tethering. Adaway I can live without, and I think the tethering workaround I use will survive the loss of root... so I'm good with the OTA. Bing™ it on.

Did you know that you're taking away from developers' ability to pay for the support your apps need? Apps don't just comprise of the executable on your phone, the servers behind them cost money and the developers need to be compensated for their time.

Why aren't people mentioning adblock being treated the same as someone talking about :filez:?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Why can't google do the same? I think everyone has just tempered their expectations to where they can't imagine google doing things as correct as apple as far as updates go.

Because at that point it would leave Google without any revenue from apps/search? That would hurt Google more than it would Samsung/Motorola/LG/HTC, who would just go the way of Amazon. Samsung already has their own app store - it sucks, but they'd go that route before they let Google force them into shoving updates for 20+ devices out on the same day.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Because at that point it would leave Google without any revenue from apps/search? That would hurt Google more than it would Samsung/Motorola/LG/HTC, who would just go the way of Amazon. Samsung already has their own app store - it sucks, but they'd go that route before they let Google force them into shoving updates for 20+ devices out on the same day.

And google would have the only usable app ecosystem on android, which would be a great selling point.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Yep. You'd think the changes would be similar if "the only difference between the x and the maxx is screen and battery size". The internals could be identical, but it's clear they're being treated as completely different devices by someone. Whether that's verizon or motorola I'm not sure.
My girlfriend's Verizon X has white icons.

The difference is the X is a Motorola device and the rest are Verizon devices. Yet another reason to get the X over the others.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

My girlfriend's Verizon X has white icons.

The difference is the X is a Motorola device and the rest are Verizon devices. Yet another reason to get the X over the others.

I'm not really worried about some minor visual changes, the MAXX has some definite advantages over the X that I wouldn't give up.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Did you know that you're taking away from developers' ability to pay for the support your apps need? Apps don't just comprise of the executable on your phone, the servers behind them cost money and the developers need to be compensated for their time.

Why aren't people mentioning adblock being treated the same as someone talking about :filez:?

Maybe I'm ignorant to how Android ads are monetized, but if I were to just cover up an ad bar with my finger versus using a tool that prevents it from being displayed, is there really a difference in the revenue stream? I literally never click the ads anyway.

edit \/\/\/\/ also yes. SA does't stop filez conversations out of solidarity with artists. They do it because this isn't a file sharing forum.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 19, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RZA Encryption posted:

Because there's nothing illegal about blocking ads?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I'm not going to lose sleep over white icons. I'll take the larger battery and wireless charging any day of the week.

I'm also wondering if the launcher they made for the X may not be compatible with their circle widget and that's why they didn't switch it out. I still wouldn't be surprised if the launcher moves to the play store ultimately. It'll all be moot anyways if google releases GEL to the market.

The X actually doesn't have all the AOSP dialer changes either. It's brought closer in line with AOSP, but it's not the same.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Maybe I'm ignorant to how Android ads are monetized, but if I were to just cover up an ad bar with my finger versus using a tool that prevents it from being displayed, is there really a difference in the revenue stream? I literally never click the ads anyway.

Yes, some money (obscuring with your finger) vs. no money (ad is never loaded).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm not really worried about some minor visual changes, the MAXX has some definite advantages over the X that I wouldn't give up.
There's two. A bigger battery and wireless charging. It's also ugly, too big, uncomfortable to hold, too low resolution for the screen size and polluted with Verizon's Droid-branded bleeps and bloops.

bull3964 posted:

The X actually doesn't have all the AOSP dialer changes either. It's brought closer in line with AOSP, but it's not the same.
Are you sure it's not the other way around and the Nexus 5 is using a custom Google dialer, while the X uses something closer to AOSP? I don't think something that looks up unknown numbers using a Google service would be part of AOSP.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, some money (obscuring with your finger) vs. no money (ad is never loaded).

Then my apologies to the maker of FlashLight, whose kids I've no doubt condemned to a mercifully short life of poverty.

/derail

Where's my Maxx update already, jeez.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Google dialer is exclusive to the Nexus 4 and 5 for some reason. There's a hack to put it on the Moto X but things won't exactly work like on the 4/5 unless you have a custom launcher like Nova.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Looks like some of people on the Motorola forums are having issues with the Maxx/Ultra update -

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/944892be33?page=1

Anyone here have trouble?

Crossbar fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 19, 2013

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AdBlockers posted:

I am a freeloader that wishes to use developers' resources without compensating them in any way.

Piraters posted:

I am a freeloader that wishes to use developers' resources without compensating them in any way.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

He very clearly typed "/derail" which means the derail is over and you're not allowed to respond, idiot.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

You must think people who skip commercials on their DVR are monsters.

He very clearly typed "/derail" which means the derail is over and you're not allowed to respond, idiot.

If we don't respect these rules, we're just freeloading.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
More Nexus 5 chat: The "hardware" changes you guys talk about, have they already rolled out those? Is it just tweaking the build quality, or other stuff as well?

God, I'm sperging on this phone way too much. :ohdear:

Edit: Has anyone ever tried using adverts as a form of donation? Like "If you liked this product you can support us by watching x amount of ads"?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 19, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

There's two. A bigger battery and wireless charging. It's also ugly, too big, uncomfortable to hold, too low resolution for the screen size and polluted with Verizon's Droid-branded bleeps and bloops.

720p looks pretty drat good still at 5", not seeing any pixels or artifacts or anything. And the MAXX is quite comfortable thanks to it's rounded corners and soft-touch back/sides. Not really ugly either, maybe you have it confused with the red abomination the ULTRA? It's mostly a black slab with a pretty inoffensive back.

Still has all the AOSP sounds too. I know you're captain "arg anything not pure aosp is worthless trash" but man try a little harder.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

720p looks pretty drat good still at 5", not seeing any pixels or artifacts or anything. And the MAXX is quite comfortable thanks to it's rounded corners and soft-touch back/sides. Not really ugly either, maybe you have it confused with the red abomination the ULTRA? It's mostly a black slab with a pretty inoffensive back.

Still has all the AOSP sounds too. I know you're captain "arg anything not pure aosp is worthless trash" but man try a little harder.
It's ugly. The back looks like a goth doily with a big dumb rectangle cut out for the camera/flash. The top and bottom edges are beveled at a strange angle. Of course this is my opinion so you're allowed to disagree.

It's big. It's got a 5" screen and that's just too big for normal use. I feel the same way about my Nexus 5.

My complaint on the sounds was that it does the annoying robot sounds by default and no one ever changes them and I hear that poo poo all the time, so that's not really a problem for people who own them.

It's all minor nitpicking (you've seen my posts), and I'd take a MAXX over an S4 or One or G2. If I had to decide between X and MAXX, though, I'd take the X. If the next X has wireless charging and Motorola stays on the ball with updates, I'll be getting one of those, because Nexus phones aren't getting any smaller.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wait, so if I use Adblock on my browser because ads are annoying as all gently caress, I'm a monstrous freeloader?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, so if I use Adblock on my browser because ads are annoying as all gently caress, I'm a monstrous freeloader?

Yup. Because why should I have to produce content that people would actually want to pay for when I can just plaster ads all over the loving place and put up the most tepid of efforts at composing coherent things.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you blocking ads in applications so you don't have to pay to remove them? Then yes, absolutely. Are you blocking ads in applications that the developers rely on to make money? This is also a yes.

I don't like ads, either, but I uninstall things if they have ads I can't pay to remove.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Are you blocking ads in applications so you don't have to pay to remove them? Then yes, absolutely. Are you blocking ads in applications that the developers rely on to make money? This is also a yes.

I don't like ads, either, but I uninstall things if they have ads I can't pay to remove.

As long as they're not intrusive rear end in a top hat ads, I'll keep them on if there's no paid option. Rovio has gotten pretty good at this.

As for the web side, I block the gently caress out of ads because so many of the networks are compromised.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm talking about a regular internet browser, as that guy mentioned "Adblock" which is a common extension/addon. I don't run it on my phone, didn't even know it existed or was possible to forcibly block ads in phone apps. If the app is decent and there is a cheap no-ads option, I often just buy it. If there is no option or it's an unreasonable price, I uninstall. Ads are annoying as gently caress and I don't remotely blame people for blocking them when they're obnoxious and intrusive.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So having Google+ and android 4.3+ does not automatically give you access to Auto Awesome Movies, it seems.

Is this feature only turned on for specific models of phones or is it one of those slow roll out features that Google does for what ever reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

So having Google+ and android 4.3+ does not automatically give you access to Auto Awesome Movies, it seems.

Is this feature only turned on for specific models of phones or is it one of those slow roll out features that Google does for what ever reason?

It apparently is device specific. Nexus 4, 5, 10, this year's 7, HTC One, Note 3, Moto X, and Moto G.

• Locked thread