Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

:siren: Aztecs are defeated event spam fix :siren:

I got a lot of Aztec events despite the Aztecs being defeated decades ago. Does the game just assume the Aztecs will never lose the initial invasion and thus bug out a bit when it happens?

Jolan posted:

(Ruler woes)

Yeah, at least in my game rulers seem to be pretty much invincible for some reason. They're never captured when you take their capital or defeat them in battle, they hardly ever get hurt in hunts or fights, etc. If all else fails though, you can just console-kill him.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

I got a lot of Aztec events despite the Aztecs being defeated decades ago. Does the game just assume the Aztecs will never lose the initial invasion and thus bug out a bit when it happens?
As much as I want to believe that is the case it seems more like an oversight. Almost every other event in that file checks whether the "aztecs defeated" flag is set, except for the event that actually sets it the first time around. So it'll keep firing because there's nothing telling it *not* to fire. All it sees is "aztecs are unlanded" and then updates the "aztecs defeated" flag to be whatever date the event fired on last. Did adding the check to the trigger gently caress the events off for you?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'll have to play again to check. The instances where I was getting the other Aztec events (mostly Aztec food, bringing smallpox to the New World by accident, and the stuff about the Aztec wars against the Incans and North Americans) happened long before the repeating Aztecs Defeated bug. Basically, I beat the invasion in 1312, got the Aztecs Defeated event (I remember it showing up now), continued getting Aztec events anyway though at the time given one of my African provinces is now predominantly Nahua in culture I assumed they were simulating trade and immigration, and then yesterday after in-game decades of nothing further from the Aztecs I got the repeating event bug.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

This is an ancient post, but did you ever follow up on that and do this for EUIV? I'd love to get a download link if you did.

Yes I did (before I even booted the game the first time :xd: ), but I honestly didn't think it bothered enough other people to post it up here again. I'll try to throw the files up here tonight, when I get home. I'm headed to the in-laws this weekend, so if I forget, PM me or remind me here again next week and I'll put them up. :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jolan posted:

My current ruler has between -90 and -240 'dishonorable' modifier with everyone because of all the (failed) stabbing I needed to do to get my empire into absolute cognatic. It all started with one single rebellious vassal who was pissed at me, and a few missed stabs later half my vassals despise me. On the bright side, now my oldest daughter will inherit my two main titles, so mission complete. Sadly, my ruler's only 40something, so he won't die any time soon. He's stressed so I can't send him on hunts to trigger chance of death events, my only somewhat capable spymaster who had a -100 opinion of me 180'ed into +100 the second I appointed him, and even when the entire retinue he's leading gets destroyed, my ruler still manages to pop back to the safety of his demesne, time and time again. And there's hardly anyone ambitious left in my empire after the Great Cull, so even my haters don't feel like plotting against me.

Rulin' ain't easy.

In situations like that I wish there was an abdicate the throne button. Swaps you to your heir but makes the succession a bit dicier or something for balance reasons. It's kinda silly that it doesn't exist, but I mean it would be really strong if you have a bad ruler.

Of course the second you have a good ruler, take them into a battle where you massively outnumber the enemy and they have ridiculous martial...they will die 100%.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do people actually take their rulers into battle? I never do, mostly because the few times I have, the ruler would always end up dead after a few battles.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

alcaras posted:

Do people actually take their rulers into battle? I never do, mostly because the few times I have, the ruler would always end up dead after a few battles.
I like to do it when my ruler has the martial education at anything but the highest one since there's a chance he'll level up that particular education. I wish a similar mechanic existed for other things. Or that putting people in a court position would slowly have them gain proficiency in this stat. Why does a 30 year veteran spymaster not gain some intrigue? Surely he must have picked something up over the years.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

alcaras posted:

I do because I favor martial education. But the more I'm seeing of it the more I should not do that. Especially as my realm gets bigger and bigger. It's just always tempting because my rulers are so GOOD at fighting when I train them. While the npc commanders are...not.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

alcaras posted:

Yeah. I pretty much always take my ruler if he's got high combat skill, isn't a coward, and there's no one better. If he dies, well, that's just the age he lived in. I tend to take my ruler into battle a lot if I'm a small, weak nation, and less often if I'm a large, powerful nation, because of lack of other decent commanders. Then there was Tewodros I, King of Venice, who led a successful Jihad for Andalusia and intermittently conquered large swaths of Italy, all from the front, from a kingdom that basically surrounded the Mediterranean.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I took my ruler across Jerusalem while Jesus was whispering in his ear. It was really fun but also really risky, but it paid off.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

alcaras posted:

A really high martial ruler is totally worth taking into battle if you aren't terribly worried about what will happen after his death...or even if you are, sometimes. Also, anybody with a martial education can gain an upgrade to their education type through battle, so it can be a good way to boost your stats. Plus, you can virtually guarantee getting Organizer and a good terrain trait because you get to pick during the event which gives you combat traits.

Basically it is a risk, but it can pay off tremendously in terms of your battle effectiveness.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

A really high martial ruler is totally worth taking into battle if you aren't terribly worried about what will happen after his death...or even if you are, sometimes. Also, anybody with a martial education can gain an upgrade to their education type through battle, so it can be a good way to boost your stats. Plus, you can virtually guarantee getting Organizer and a good terrain trait because you get to pick during the event which gives you combat traits.

Basically it is a risk, but it can pay off tremendously in terms of your battle effectiveness.

It's also a lot rarer for them to die in battle unless they have "Brave."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
For any (like me) who still don't have all of the DLC, some of it's on sale on Amazon. It gives you codes in the Games and Software Library that can activate the DLC on Steam. For some, it's more on sale than directly from Steam (Old Gods $3.74).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So I finally managed to get a Zoroastrian game going to a point where I think I can make this work. I pretty much had to ruler-scum the game to get the ball rolling though. Vandad Karen has less than 3000 event troops? Reroll. Vandad has a hunchback and aversion to blood? Reroll. Vandad goes 20 years without siring an heir despite having a full stocked harem? Reroll. Even with a decent start I still had to resort to that gamey strat where you vassalize yourself to the Samanids and then putsch the satrap.

The high point so far was when Gilan jumped in on my side during the inevitable Saffarid holy war and our two armies managed to not only route the satrap but capture him in battle. Piss off out of my land, Abrahamite.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Asking Allah for help gives the exact same chance for bonuses as asking for God's help, unfortunately, and doesn't even convert me to Islam. :(

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The fact that she's pregnant is a nice touch.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Posting from the Paradox Megathread that if you bought CK2 on Gamersgate like I did, fool that we were, Paradox has graciously allowed us to receive free Steam keys for CK2 and each of the DLC for it, available to see on Gamersgate. So we've got that goin' for us.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Rejected Fate posted:

Yep, that's a succession game. Things that we'd all need to decide is if we keep it in-thread or bother setting it up in the LP forum, if we use any mods (CK2+ being one of the more likely candidates) and I suppose maybe some input on what we start as. I'll start a turn order now though.

Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress

I'm totally down for this. We should start a thread in the LP forum.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Seoinin posted:

So I finally managed to get a Zoroastrian game going to a point where I think I can make this work. I pretty much had to ruler-scum the game to get the ball rolling though. Vandad Karen has less than 3000 event troops? Reroll. Vandad has a hunchback and aversion to blood? Reroll. Vandad goes 20 years without siring an heir despite having a full stocked harem? Reroll. Even with a decent start I still had to resort to that gamey strat where you vassalize yourself to the Samanids and then putsch the satrap.

The high point so far was when Gilan jumped in on my side during the inevitable Saffarid holy war and our two armies managed to not only route the satrap but capture him in battle. Piss off out of my land, Abrahamite.

I'm telling y'all, you might as well just play the Mongols.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I have seniority as my law so why isn't my heir someone from my dynasty?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

I have seniority as my law so why isn't my heir someone from my dynasty?

do you have absolute agnatic enabled? That would lead to a female's eldest, typically not of your dynasty, to being your heir.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Seoinin posted:

I had to do that gamey poo poo too after trying for days legit. I'd already done it pre ironman, but the Saffarids weren't as insane as they are now (plus you don't really realise how much you save scum until the option is gone). I also went the extra step of banishing all of my vassals once I overthrew the king of Khiva so I had a decent army to gently caress the Saffarids.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

do you have absolute agnatic enabled? That would lead to a female's eldest, typically not of your dynasty, to being your heir.

Wow it would have been nice if the tooltiup told me that

Edit: I changed it to Primogentiure and it skipped my son and went to one of my grandsons! Why is this so opaque! :psyduck:

Another edit: I tried absolute agnatic and it still gave me some guy not from my dynasty even though I have a son from my dynasty!

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 20, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Sengoku update: reinstalled the mod (correctly, in the user directory) & played a little while.

...why is the Japanese religion a renamed Islam, all the way to allowing multiple wives?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Baron Porkface posted:

Edit: I changed it to Primogentiure and it skipped my son and went to one of my grandsons! Why is this so opaque! :psyduck:

Is the grandson's father your dead firstborn (or at least older than the son who was skipped)? Dead heirs still "inherit" the crown as though they were alive, then immediately pass it to their own heir.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009
edit: I should refresh before posting replies. Just to emphasize, that is the game correctly modeling primogeniture.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Walliard posted:

Is the grandson's father your dead firstborn (or at least older than the son who was skipped)? Dead heirs still "inherit" the crown as though they were alive, then immediately pass it to their own heir.

It's my daughter's son but I thought Mixed Primo skipped women?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Mance Rayder's son turned out pretty successful in my game. He should probably update his title now :v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I am a male and It's giving me women even though I have 2 men in my dynasty

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011
Does adding Sons of Abraham make the game run slower? I used to be able to sim through the years quickly but now I can barely get through two years on the fastest setting, even after editing the graphics options.

Edit: I turned off Sons of Abraham and the game now magically is faster. Hmm.

Tarasenko Tank fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 20, 2013

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to survive as the Khazars? The Pechenegs are almost immediately annexed by the Cumans who then steamroll over me.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 20, 2013

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

Yep, that's a succession game. Things that we'd all need to decide is if we keep it in-thread or bother setting it up in the LP forum, if we use any mods (CK2+ being one of the more likely candidates) and I suppose maybe some input on what we start as. I'll start a turn order now though.

Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress

aqu posted:

I'm totally down for this. We should start a thread in the LP forum.

Add me to the list, although I'll be out the next two weeks. Probably won't get to me by then though, so should be good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'll join the succession game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I'd be down for succession as well, but will be traveling abroad from the new year to January 12.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Jolan posted:

Rulin' ain't easy.

Try assassinating the king of something, they usually fire back with assassination attempts if you're unsuccessful and get discovered, and before you know it you're seeing that guy who brought you wine snake away as your vision gets blurry.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
So what's the point of the cardinal college? Spending money can get your own bishop elected but doesn't guarantee they will vote favourable for your goals. And the benefits of a Pope who likes you as I can see is the ability to ask for money or a divorce. Claims don't seem as cut and dry as if they like the current title holder the claim mightn't be granted.

Just asking because I've been playing awhile and have a small, majority college due to my size; and a distant relative not of my domain has been elected as Pope. But I can't see why he's any better than a random Pope.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I had to do that gamey poo poo too after trying for days legit. I'd already done it pre ironman, but the Saffarids weren't as insane as they are now (plus you don't really realise how much you save scum until the option is gone). I also went the extra step of banishing all of my vassals once I overthrew the king of Khiva so I had a decent army to gently caress the Saffarids.

God I wanted to start banishing dudes to get my hands on some of that land around Khiva but just kicking the count of Merv redlined all the sunnis and almost hosed me over during the Saffarid invasion. Everything worked out, though - I converted the old satrap of the area and he forced everyone under him to do the same. So now I've got a relatively stable kingdom, albeit with a weird demesne.

I resisted the urge to game things for a while, and tried holy warring the Samanids while the Saffarids were occupied. But sooner or later your luck runs out and welp here comes a 11k stack. Reroll.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 20, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Marenghi posted:

So what's the point of the cardinal college? Spending money can get your own bishop elected but doesn't guarantee they will vote favourable for your goals. And the benefits of a Pope who likes you as I can see is the ability to ask for money or a divorce. Claims don't seem as cut and dry as if they like the current title holder the claim mightn't be granted.

Just asking because I've been playing awhile and have a small, majority college due to my size; and a distant relative not of my domain has been elected as Pope. But I can't see why he's any better than a random Pope.

What I've been doing is with a small investment of about 150 gold you can get a pope elected then fleece the poo poo out of him. You can get into the 3000s before he starts hating you if you have enough piety to ask for money at least four times.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Seoinin posted:

God I wanted to start banishing dudes to get my hands on some of that land around Khiva but just kicking the count of Merv redlined all the sunnis and almost hosed me over during the Saffarid invasion. Everything worked out, though - I converted the old satrap of the area and he forced everyone under him to do the same. So now I've got a relatively stable kingdom, albeit with a weird demesne.

I resisted the urge to game things for a while, and tried holy warring the Samanids while the Saffarids were occupied. But sooner or later your luck runs out and welp here comes a 11k stack. Reroll.

I just completely ruined my run 2 duchies away from becoming the Shaoshyant. Firstly, my young ruler became incapable in a battle at 97% war score, preventing him from flipping laws to primo, then the kingdom of Persia went to an elderly vassal not of my dynasty including my demesne, while I kept my heir's lovely single province and the actual empire. After that I got a rush of blood, and knowing it was a huge mistake and I should just mop up the duchies and call it a day, I then used my claims to revoke and lost major battles in the subsequent wars. Queue faction rebellion bonanza, and I'm a huge loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

What I've been doing is with a small investment of about 150 gold you can get a pope elected then fleece the poo poo out of him. You can get into the 3000s before he starts hating you if you have enough piety to ask for money at least four times.

Unrelated but I feel it should be stated because there is no tooltip for this for some obscure reason :

You can increase your candidate's election fund by 50 with Shift-click and 100 with Ctrl-click.

• Locked thread