Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Two episodes into the second season and man, you guys weren't kidding about Laurel becoming increasingly unwelcome. Seriously Ollie, just sever already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's nothing inherently wrong with Laurel's character at all and all the fuss about her is just a bit over the top. The problem with her character is that she's underwritten and disconnected from the majority of the show most of the time. She doesn't take anything away from the show at all. She's just one of the only characters that doesn't really add anything to the show and it's quite noticeable because of all of the other things the show does right. The whining about her in this thread on the last few pages is really disproportionate to the amount of effect she even has on the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with Laurel's character at all and all the fuss about her is just a bit over the top. The problem with her character is that she's underwritten and disconnected from the majority of the show most of the time. She doesn't take anything away from the show at all. She's just one of the only characters that doesn't really add anything to the show and it's quite noticeable because of all of the other things the show does right. The whining about her in this thread on the last few pages is really disproportionate to the amount of effect she even has on the show.

It imght just be a tiny pebble, but it's a tiny pebble in your loving shoe, man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Two episodes into the second season and man, you guys weren't kidding about Laurel becoming increasingly unwelcome. Seriously Ollie, just sever already.

He did already in the premiere, which is actually the whole problem.

If they were still close, that gives her a purpose. If Ollie is with Laurel, not telling her about Sara becomes a bigger issue for him for one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I think letting her in on the secret is the biggest move they could make in improving her arc.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Spergatory posted:

She's rich as balls, so she doesn't really need to go to college.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. She's rich so running the club is just something for her and for Ollie to do.

I'd say doing this is more mature than going to college. She could have pretty easily bought her way into Starling State (if not a top-tier school) and partied her rear end off, or "pulled an Ollie" and spent a year doing whatever in Europe.

zoux posted:

I think letting her in on the secret is the biggest move they could make in improving her arc.

And do what? We've already seen the whole "coming to terms with it" arc through Tommy and the Det. Lance dealing with working with a killer angle. In terms of Team Arrow, what would she do? The whole "investigation/finding cases" side of things already has Felicity, Diggle (for contacts), Det. Lance and (formerly?) Roy. Arrow already has a contact within the law (Det. Lance). I'm not really sure what niche she would fill.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
In retrospect, have Laurel be on Moira's defense counsel and find out about Thea being Malcolm's daughter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The writers have always been awful at relationship drama and writing. Laurel symbolizes that, and Tommy had the good fortune of getting killed off, before people grew too sick of his role in the love polygon.

Season two did away with most relationship crap, and the writers haven't figured out what to do with Laurel after that except land her in some dull damsel-in-distress situations.

Hopefully we'll see something happen, when Brother Blood gets his comeuppance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DFu4ever posted:

The problem is a bit unique in that, in theory, a better and more likable character has to die to make room for Laurel's plot to advance later on. So people are mostly hoping they realize Laurel is kind of terrible and just kill her off. Or send her away. Basically, just make her disappear.

This, I don't necessarily want the character killed off, just either made useful and actually interesting, or written out of the show however.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Just make her a full on villain, that'd be more interesting. She could be the dark version of Sara's Canary. A 'Black' Canary, if you will. :smug:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just started the show and was wondering something, does Ollie continue being such a manipulative bastard?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Azubah posted:

I just started the show and was wondering something, does Ollie continue being such a manipulative bastard?

No.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Just make her a full on villain, that'd be more interesting. She could be the dark version of Sara's Canary. A 'Black' Canary, if you will. :smug:

I was just about to suggest this.

If you include her on Ollie's secret but also leak out that he knew about Sara (and that her dad knew too), then you could flip her whole persona. She could leave the show temporarily to go search for Sara, pursue the league of assassins, get training, and come back in a season finale as an evil/rogue canary. That'd be a real threat to Oliver, give some nice new flavor to laurel's character, and provide plenty of drama/ohshit moments for her return and the following season.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thwomp posted:

I was just about to suggest this.

If you include her on Ollie's secret but also leak out that he knew about Sara (and that her dad knew too), then you could flip her whole persona. She could leave the show temporarily to go search for Sara, pursue the league of assassins, get training, and come back in a season finale as an evil/rogue canary. That'd be a real threat to Oliver, give some nice new flavor to laurel's character, and provide plenty of drama/ohshit moments for her return and the following season.

Actually it seems to me they're using Mirclo (Mirakulu? whatever) to sidestep the issue of people needing years of training to fight on Ollie's level. Just skip all that and dose Roy up, viola instant sidekick/partner/possible roid raging monster.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

He stops being manipulative when he starts letting people like Diggle and Felicity in, and realizing he doesn't have to be on his own little island (:v:) anymore. He never quite loses the abrasiveness though. Case in point, Roy getting an arrow to the knee.

WarLocke posted:

Actually it seems to me they're using Mirclo (Mirakulu? whatever) to sidestep the issue of people needing years of training to fight on Ollie's level. Just skip all that and dose Roy up, viola instant sidekick/partner/possible roid raging monster.

I don't see this working with Laurel without it essentially mutating her (further) into Lana 2.0.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I don't see this working with Laurel without it essentially mutating her (further) into Lana 2.0.

The posting in this thread when Slade sticks Felicity full of Miraclo is going to be amazing. :allears:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I didn't mind her so much during the first season aside from the stupid law stuff (as in, lawyers don't really work like that), but she became a really annoying character at the start of season two. "I hate you, for reasons. Whatever."

She just seems like a weaker and weaker character as the show progresses, which is the opposite of everybody else.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Warmachine posted:

Not enough head trauma.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How does anyone not know that it's spelled/pronounced "Mirakuru" at this point? They say it every five minutes and flashed a huge label on a box of the stuff.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Phylodox posted:

How does anyone not know that it's spelled/pronounced "Mirakuru" at this point? They say it every five minutes and flashed a huge label on a box of the stuff.

Yeah but that's moon language. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Yeah but that's moon language. :colbert:

Japanese romaji is a very difficult and trying language to unbwahahahahahahahahaaaa I can't do it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Phylodox posted:

The way I understand it, Miraclo/Miracle are just different names in the comics for the same substance as Mirakuru.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Phylodox posted:

It's a stupid name and it's better to just forget about it.

Then again, it is kinda hilarious when they have to clarify every time that "Mirakuru" means miracle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klungar posted:

The way I understand it, Miraclo/Miracle are just different names in the comics for the same substance as Mirakuru.

Miraclo is completely different. Its whole thing is that it only gives temporary powers and is an addictive drug while miracle/mirakuru is a permanent enhancement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Miraclo is completely different. Its whole thing is that it only gives temporary powers and is an addictive drug while miracle/mirakuru is a permanent enhancement.

Comic nerds will find a connection with anything to anything. You've been reading this thread, right?

:v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This isn't exactly a flimsy, haphazard guess at a connection though. And you can bet it isn't a coincidence they've been developing an Hourman series around the same time they were planning out this arc.

I've been rewatching this series bit by bit and, honestly, overall Laurel isn't as bad as the last couple pages would have us believe. Or maybe it's just that her irrelevance gets easier to tolerate over time. All she really needs is something worthwhile to do, and maybe she'll have that with this whole Jason Blood plotline. And I'm on the side that the sooner she discovers Ollie's identity, the better off the character will be. The whole reason Digg, Felicity, and Sara have such great rapport with Ollie is because they know the real him and are able to talk to him like a real person.

What I'm most afraid of at this point is for Felicity's newfound romantic interest in Ollie making her less and less likable the more that it goes on. We already saw a little bit of it with her snappy, jealous "Sure you weren't marooned on fantasy island?" quip at Ollie. Like, yeah, it was kinda funny, but it was in such bad taste and so...petty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

This isn't exactly a flimsy, haphazard guess at a connection though. And you can bet it isn't a coincidence they've been developing an Hourman series around the same time they were planning out this arc.

Except according the the announcement for the Hourman series he doesn't have any physical abilities and is called "Hourman" because he can see one hour into the future.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

What I'm most afraid of at this point is for Felicity's newfound romantic interest in Ollie making her less and less likable the more that it goes on. We already saw a little bit of it with her snappy, jealous "Sure you weren't marooned on fantasy island?" quip at Ollie. Like, yeah, it was kinda funny, but it was in such bad taste and so...petty.

I have a feeling that stuff is going to come around and bite Felicity in the metaphorical rear end at some point. After the last few episodes I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of a doubt. Honestly the only bad things in the entire run so far have been Huntress and Laurel (and in Laurel's case it's not really anything intrinsic, just that they can't seem to figure out what to do with her).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Again, I'm not hating Laurel (I kind of hate this version of Huntress), I just feel like she's a weak link on a show that's otherwise pretty decent. I felt that way for a while through the first season before I even knew what the prevailing TVIV opinion was, but a couple episodes into S2 and the whole "now I want to catch the vigilante super-super-bad" thing isn't doing the character any favors either. I still have eight or so episodes to go but I hope in the back half of the season the writers figure out something fun to do with her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You guys are being too hard on Laurel. She did drop her drug / pill habit between episodes :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You guys are being too hard on Laurel. She did drop her drug / pill habit between episodes :v:

I like to think she's still a functioning closet alcoholic.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I can't wait for her descent into vertigo addiction.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Phylodox posted:

I'm personally pretending it's not pronounced or spelled like that because every time someone says it, I hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dbLXW9JF0

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really just waiting for the descent into super liberal that Oliver takes and why he takes it. I can see Brother Blood paying a huge part of Olivers just literal radical views on some issues.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Up through episode four of S2 now. In Laurel's defense, after all that poo poo I might be hitting the bottle too.

Hey, actual Black Canary team-up time. So I'm not quite sure how I feel about the "Sara's alive" thing, because S1 made her death a big, big loving deal in a lot of ways, so to suddenly go "oh no, the thing is she actually survived and Ollie knew, but then maybe he thought she died again because reasons"...like, it's not as though either comics or soap operas are shy about that sort of dramatic twist, but Sara's death wasn't played as just a random tragedy, it was presented as one of the big reasons why Ollie became the person he is, so for them to not just bring her back but to reveal that Ollie knew about her survival beyond the shipwreck kinda has me hoping that the writers have a handle on things.

Also it took me until the third episode until I caught on that the rival CEO is actually Summer Glau. I mean, I thought it looked like her at first but this is one of the first times I've seen a show where they let her look her actual age.

You guys were right, Thea's a lot more tolerable this season so far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Hey, actual Black Canary team-up time. So I'm not quite sure how I feel about the "Sara's alive" thing, because S1 made her death a big, big loving deal in a lot of ways, so to suddenly go "oh no, the thing is she actually survived and Ollie knew, but then maybe he thought she died again because reasons"...like, it's not as though either comics or soap operas are shy about that sort of dramatic twist, but Sara's death wasn't played as just a random tragedy, it was presented as one of the big reasons why Ollie became the person he is, so for them to not just bring her back but to reveal that Ollie knew about her survival beyond the shipwreck kinda has me hoping that the writers have a handle on things.

Well, we don't know the details of her second 'death' yet. It still seems like Ollie is responsible somehow, so it still fits. It's a bit iffy, though, I agree.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bobkatt013 posted:

I am shocked that they do not have live bands there like they had on Buffy and other WB shows.

Steve Aoki did a cameo. He's a DJ and the kids tell me DJs are really important these days.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Really, Arrow? No CCH Pounder for Amanda Waller? C'mon son, that's practically a gimme. No points there.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Really, Arrow? No CCH Pounder for Amanda Waller? C'mon son, that's practically a gimme. No points there.

I heard they're just going with the new version of Waller from the New 52 (and another recent appearance which I don't want to spoil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I want a Suicide Squad show. Slade deserves his own series.

• Locked thread