Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is Outbreak Company any good? I've heard it's a funny spoof on otaku culture, but then I've also heard it's a shameless way to grab viewers by parroting the most popular anime and manga tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Everywhere I look I read about people just loving Chihayafuru. How culturally impenetrable is it? What makes people love it so much? I've never been into sports/game anime in general; I think the last one I saw was Hikaru No Go, which I remember liking well enough but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Even though I don't fully understand the full intricacies of the game, the presentation of each match is done in a manner that just makes it very engrossing to watch regardless of your understanding of the material, much like any good sports anime. I haven't seen Hikaru no Go, but I want to say it has more in common with baseball/sports anime than it does to card game anime, which means it is full people with guts and spirit facing off against each other rather than strategic mind games, though some strategy is in there every now and then. It has a solid cast of characters as well, with the usual strengthening of team bonds and friendship, which when done well, always feels compelling and inspiring. Each character on the team gets their moment to shine, and all of them develop fairly well. It also avoids the pitfall of having a genius protagonist who always wins, which makes it very hard to predict the outcome of matches, which tends to get you engrossed fairly easily.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I should look up Chihayafuru. I enjoyed the scanlated manga for as far as it got before skipping like forty chapters. If you haven't seen it yet and are interested in esoteric game animes, you can't really go wrong with Akagi. It takes what should be a boring game like Mahjong and turns it into a suspenseful drama about DESTROYING YOUR OPPONENT'S MIND. Just be aware that the art style is very... unique.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

khy posted:

Is Outbreak Company any good? I've heard it's a funny spoof on otaku culture, but then I've also heard it's a shameless way to grab viewers by parroting the most popular anime and manga tropes.

In some ways it is, but at the end of the day, it's shameless otaku bait. I watched about 5 episodes wanting to like it and it just kept getting worse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Che Delilas posted:

Everywhere I look I read about people just loving Chihayafuru. How culturally impenetrable is it? What makes people love it so much? I've never been into sports/game anime in general; I think the last one I saw was Hikaru No Go, which I remember liking well enough but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me.
For me it's because it's the perfect marriage of Josei and sports, the combination of which is quite unconventional. You get the artwork and characterization from the Josei side and the exciting matches from the sports side, and the two work off of each other brilliantly. It results in a much more approachable and sensible sports story compared to the ridiculous fodder you find in shounen. I found myself genuinely invested in the team's success, as if I were actually following them in real life, which I think is just about the highest praise a sports anime/manga can obtain. Karuta being this weird little card game stops being an issue almost immediately because the game itself is mostly pretty simple even if it is an exceedingly Japanese affair.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Should I try getting back into Chihayafuru? I watched through episode 13 and got incredibly fed up with Chihaya and how overwrought she is about everything. It's not a trait that typically bothers me that much, and I enjoy shows with interesting interpersonal relationships, but I was just not interested in dealing with her as a character anymore. Is there any difference in tone on that front in the back half of the season? So many people love the show that I feel like I'm missing something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chihaya is the heart and soul of the story. She certainly develops in a variety of ways but she wouldn't be who she is without her enthusiasm. The only thing I would say is that since by episode 13 the team is assembled she doesn't need to be as Xtreme as she was during the recruitment episodes.

Looking up the episode lists, 14 is when they introduce one of the best characters in the series there's that as well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Everywhere I look I read about people just loving Chihayafuru. How culturally impenetrable is it?

Not at all. Most Japanese people don't know anything about competitive Karuta, so the show doesn't assume any prior knowledge of the game. It even does a good job of weaving the explanation of the game into the rest of the story, so it never feels like it's explaining things just for the sake of explaining things.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Should I try getting back into Chihayafuru? I watched through episode 13 and got incredibly fed up with Chihaya and how overwrought she is about everything. It's not a trait that typically bothers me that much, and I enjoy shows with interesting interpersonal relationships, but I was just not interested in dealing with her as a character anymore. Is there any difference in tone on that front in the back half of the season? So many people love the show that I feel like I'm missing something.

You might be missing that the show is actually about this trait of Chihaya, and completely agrees with you that she is a piece of work. The title of the show is actually a pun on her name and the Japanese word for impassionate, which might give you a hint of where her character is developing (it doesn't happen in the first season, however). Also notice that the rest of cast is unnaturally cool-headed, and the contrast between them and the queen of the dorks is something I really like about the show.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno if this is the place to recommend manga, but I didnt see a manga rec thread so

I have liked: Solanin, 20th Century Boys, Persona 4
Why I liked it: Because it was really about relationships and growth between characters, and the setting is modern.
I was recommended and did not like: Battle Royale, Yotsuba&.
Why: I appreciate BR, but I found it really off-putting. I know that's the point, but I wouldn't read it again. Yotsuba& I found really boring.

Looking for: Modern setting preferably, with really good characters. I want stories about the strength of friendships, with realism if possible but I'm ok with like Persona weird poo poo I guess, or 20th Century Boys was also ok because the non-realistic poo poo was integral to the plot. Regarding length I'd like it to be something finished and less than say 150 issues or so. I once tried to read through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and gave up interest in story 4 because I just couldn't keep my mind on it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I was recommended and did not like: Yotsuba&.

I literally don't understand.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

signalnoise posted:

I was recommended and did not like: Yotsuba&.
You monster. I bet you're actually Yanda.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

I dunno if this is the place to recommend manga, but I didnt see a manga rec thread so

Why I liked it: Because it was really about relationships and growth between characters, and the setting is modern.
Why: I appreciate BR, but I found it really off-putting. I know that's the point, but I wouldn't read it again. Yotsuba& I found really boring.

Looking for: Modern setting preferably, with really good characters. I want stories about the strength of friendships, with realism if possible but I'm ok with like Persona weird poo poo I guess, or 20th Century Boys was also ok because the non-realistic poo poo was integral to the plot. Regarding length I'd like it to be something finished and less than say 150 issues or so. I once tried to read through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and gave up interest in story 4 because I just couldn't keep my mind on it.

Read Urasawa's other poo poo, like Monster, Pluto, Master Keaton. Also read Oyasumi Punpun and Kokou no Hito.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 18, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
signalnoise this is you:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sarcophallus posted:

Read Urasawa's other poo poo, like Monster, Pluto, Master Keaton. Also read Oyasumi Punpun and Kokou no Hito.

Awesome thanks! :)

The Devil Tesla posted:

signalnoise this is you:

Sorry man my sense of humor must be broken

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

signalnoise posted:

We have similar taste. I'm not interested in Yotsuba either. You should definitely read the other Naoki Urasawa mangas because he's pretty much the best in the business.

I recently started getting into manga, so here are a few things I've enjoyed (haven't finished all of them, mind):
Cooking Papa was the first manga I read after getting a tablet with a screen big enough to read mangas on. It doesn't really fit what you're looking for, but I recommend it anyway because it's weirdly compelling and it'll be a short read (only 15 chapters have been translated).

I am a Hero and Boys on the Run are both realistic mangas with flawed protagonists and a highly detailed artstyle. I would recommend not reading anything online about either of them.

I just started reading Kimi no Knife the other day and it seems really interesting. Spoiler for basically the first chapter it's about a teacher who becomes a hitman. The characters are adults and they live in the real world.

Bambino! is another cooking manga focusing on a young chef's journey into Italian cuisine. Again pretty realistic aside from the inevitable manga-ification of certain cooking processes. It's hyperbolic rather than supernatural though. It's set in contemporary Tokyo and has a realistic artstyle.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 18, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Dessel posted:

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just have to open up on this one:

I randomly decided to watch Juuni Kokuki thanks to the amount of recommendations few pages back and I'd like to say Holy poo poo, thanks, I just marathoned this thing in three days after finals!

I liked that the series had a competent protagonist, who at some point I genuinely believed might actually turn evil, and I was kinda giddy about it. Jesus that moment in the beginning of the show where she's kinda gleeful about slaying bunch of Youma and afterwards laves Rakushou basically for dead. Genuinely good character design. I think they kinda nailed the "boyish" appearance, she felt believable Doing all the crazy stuff with the sword that she did without losing "grace" so to speak. Great VA, interesting setting. Actual character progression for SEVERAL characters. My God.

My only issues were the fact that the pace felt absolutely terrible at times, even without the genuine filler/recap episodes that I basically fast forwarded in order to hear what some of the characters thought of stuff. And the kirin part around episode 20 that continued for ages. Christ. Absolutely hated that part. It would have been torturous to watch this anime when it originally aired, but being able to just completely devour the series really made the point moot.

Also, absolutely foretold Yoko's first edict the second she was disdained at not being able to see people's emotions when they were kow-towing to her. I felt that after the midway of the series there were basically four highlights that were built upon. Yoko becoming a queen, Yoko revealing her identity to the girls and the rebels. Yoko defeating the corrupted officials, and finally the declaration of her first edict which in my opinion might as well have ended the anime adaptation. I heard that the original artist just stopped writing the LNs and they ran out of material.

King of En was pretty great, too.

:supaburn: "What are we going to do, the rebels in the province are up to no good?!"
:smug: "I'm going to sleep"
:supaburn: "But, Your Highness!"
:smug: "Oh, and I'll join their army."
:psypop:

Is there anything to be gained from reading the original light novels? Is there any other material worth checking out? Are there any other good series similar to this out there? Just in case, yes, I've watched LOGH already. Honestly, finishing this series gave me the kind of an empty feeling. Doubting I'll find anything as good as this in a while. Watching Yoko grow as a character was amazing.

Edit: Probably sounds like a weird comparison, but marathoning this series felt a bit like playing an old Bioware RPG except with a better plot and execution. I felt like I cared for the protagonist way more than usual.

I keep recommending Juuni Kokuki even though it's really hard to put into words exactly why it's so good and glad to see it's paid off.

You can find translations of some of the unanimated light novels around, they're good but are sidestories rather than extensions of Yoko's story. In terms of similar recommendations though, Twelve Kingdoms is pretty unique and I'm hard pressed to think of anything that resembles it. I'd appreciate any recommendations along those lines too, actually.

e: not actually anime but maybe Avatar: The Last Airbender

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 22, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nate RFB posted:

For me it's because it's the perfect marriage of Josei and sports, the combination of which is quite unconventional. You get the artwork and characterization from the Josei side and the exciting matches from the sports side, and the two work off of each other brilliantly. It results in a much more approachable and sensible sports story compared to the ridiculous fodder you find in shounen. I found myself genuinely invested in the team's success, as if I were actually following them in real life, which I think is just about the highest praise a sports anime/manga can obtain. Karuta being this weird little card game stops being an issue almost immediately because the game itself is mostly pretty simple even if it is an exceedingly Japanese affair.

Well, good characterization is just about my #1 priority when it comes to storytelling, so I guess I'll have to give it another look. Josei has never held my interest in the past, though I'm hardly the target demographic. Then again, I like plenty of other stuff that isn't specifically aimed at me (as you may be able to tell) so perhaps I'll like it.

I'm bored to poo poo waiting for more Otoyomegatari anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

khy posted:

It's amazing how quickly the goon consensus on Outbreak Company shifted from "This is going to be crap" to "This is actually pretty interesting" to "This is crap." The first episode was amusing and set up some interesting conflicts, but around the second episode it became apparent that we're actually supposed to agree with the main character's goony and privileged outlook. Don't bother with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Outbreak Company certainly managed to make the Tales of- games' view on racism look really subtle, that's for sure.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Outbreak Company certainly managed to make the Tales of- games' view on racism look really subtle, that's for sure.

It's amazing how bad many Japanese pop culture can get when it tries to tell stories about prejudice; it tends to come across as either insincere and banal preaching (many JRPGs), or bitter nationalistic projection (Total Eclipse, Code Geass at times). From the New World is a notable exception.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 19, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Silver2195 posted:

From the New World is a notable exception.

Since this is the recommendation thread: I'd heartily recommend From the New World, it's pretty good. It probably could have been even better but in spite of some flaws they manage to pull off the "society as you know it is just a thin veneer over how amazingly hosed the world is" thing really well, the action scenes are excellent if you like people blowing up / being ripped into pieces, and the pace at which the world is revealed to the viewer is basically perfect, giving you just enough to make you really crave more.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Any good time travel anime/manga? Important criteria: should involve characters using knowledge of the future to affect (or exploit, or survive in, or learn more about) the past in some manner; that is, if the time travel is just an excuse to fight robots/demons/aliens that are out to kill future Jesus, it doesn't count.

I've read Again, and I've watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Also seen Higurashi, which I guess counts enough. If there are things similar to Back to the Future or Journeyman, that would be great.

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that's an easy one: Steins;Gate

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
^^There really is no better show when it comes to loving with time.

There's some other things I want to suggest as well, but suggesting them as time travel shows would be massive spoilers: Higurashi no Nako Koro Ni is primarily a horror/mystery, but time travel (well, endless time looping) is a big part of the plot.

Again, time travel = spoilers:Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you haven't seen it, don't be thrown off by the name. It is one of the best shows I've ever seen, and tends to subvert the magical girl genre quite a bit.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I'm goon'ing back- to the future! Wagatsuma-san is my wife!

Never read it but it seems like it fits the criteria he doesn't actually travel per say but he gets "flash forwards"? into the future and tries to use that knowledge in the present.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's also Qualia the Purple, which I think it's kind of similar to that. It's kind of hard to explain, and it doesn't really begin with that concept (and it gets pretty insane pretty fast) though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Everyone (here and elsewhere) keeps saying Stein's;Gate so I started watching it a few hours ago, and while it starts slow, I'm not disappointed. It hits a lot of beats from movies like BTTF, Primer, and even Safety Not Guaranteed, so I'm eager to see where this goes. Plus, John Titor seems to be an important character, which is pretty hilarious.

If you guys have more recommendations, please keep 'em coming. :) Other stuff I've read/seen that fits in my criteria: Jin, Haruka na Machi, and to a lesser extent, Haruhi.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm goon'ing back- to the future! Wagatsuma-san is my wife!

Never read it but it seems like it fits the criteria he doesn't actually travel per say but he gets "flash forwards"? into the future and tries to use that knowledge in the present.

Yeah I took a look, read a bunch, and it's certainly in line with the kind of stuff I'm looking for, although reading this one in particular makes me a bit uncomfortable because it has shades of harem, and the protagonist and his friends lean towards the perverted type.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dragonatrix posted:

There's also Qualia the Purple, which I think it's kind of similar to that. It's kind of hard to explain, and it doesn't really begin with that concept (and it gets pretty insane pretty fast) though.
Yeah, this, it's...complicated to try to explain. But read Qualia the Purple.

Never have I seen a series go from zero to higher than Gurren Lagann levels of absurdity in less than a dozen chapters.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Argue posted:

Yeah I took a look, read a bunch, and it's certainly in line with the kind of stuff I'm looking for, although reading this one in particular makes me a bit uncomfortable because it has shades of harem, and the protagonist and his friends lean towards the perverted type.
It's pretty trashy and I honestly wouldn't really recommend it w/r/t your recommendation request.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Nate RFB posted:

It's pretty trashy and I honestly wouldn't really recommend it w/r/t your recommendation request.

Ah my bad maybe I need to actually read more of these recommendations and not just say it casually is what you want. Point being strike witches or infinite stratos loving cool action scenes but goddamn the harems and lolis made it unwatchable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, I sent a message to the creator of it after reading it in early July, and he just replied a couple days ago which was pretty awesome, I didn't expect him to even see my message. :3:

田中ユタカ Yutaka Tanaka posted:

Thank you for the message. Sorry for my late reply.

I am glad to have you read my comics. It is impressed by your having moved the heart to "Ai-Ren " especially. Thank you very much.

When there is a schedule of publication of an English-language edition, I announce you.

This was posted a while back but I have a :haw: expression on my face now that I read this. He sounds like a cool dude.

Anyway, I'm looking for something actiony! Something akin to Black Lagoon. Something with guns preferably.

I saw Jormungand, Baccano! and Cowboy Bebop and liked them a good deal.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

Ah my bad maybe I need to actually read more of these recommendations and not just say it casually is what you want. Point being strike witches or infinite stratos loving cool action scenes but goddamn the harems and lolis made it unwatchable.

Strike witches is pretty much ban worthy and while I enjoyed infinite stratos (at least the first season) it's hardly great by any standard.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 23, 2013

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

DamnGlitch posted:

Strike witches is neigh ban worthy and while I enjoyed infinite stratos (at least the first season) it's hardly great by any standard.

Yeah, made the point of it sounds cool on the surface but in actuality the way the story is told ruined it, Witches blowing up aliens sounds cool, then they don't wear pants.. ever.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

SSNeoman posted:

Anyway, I'm looking for something actiony! Something akin to Black Lagoon. Something with guns preferably.

Gunslinger Girl and Noir aren't super-actiony, but they do have some nice gun porn. I've heard good things about Gungrave, but I can't actually vouch for it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Redcrimson posted:

Gunslinger Girl and Noir aren't super-actiony, but they do have some nice gun porn. I've heard good things about Gungrave, but I can't actually vouch for it.

Gungrave starts out looking like it's going to be actiony, then spends 2/3 of the series on a tense mafia drama before going a bit balls to the wall crazy at the end. It's a good series, btw, but actiony it isn't for the most part.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, this, it's...complicated to try to explain. But read Qualia the Purple.

Never have I seen a series go from zero to higher than Gurren Lagann levels of absurdity in less than a dozen chapters.

Well your description was certainly on the mark :stare:. Yeah, a sliders-type deal is also good. Fortunately I've played 999/Zero Escape and seen Higurashi so I was a bit used to what eventually happens.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

SSNeoman posted:

Maybe Trigun? comedyish for the first couple of episodes then starts developing into action.

check out Beresk no guns but the action in it is very intense.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Right, poo poo, I always meant to finish Gungrave!

Ho about Canaan? Is it any good?

VV I need to catch up on Hellsing but I saw all of SAC. I didn't get around to watching Arise though.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SSNeoman posted:

This was posted a while back but I have a :haw: expression on my face now that I read this. He sounds like a cool dude.

I saw Jormungand, Baccano! and Cowboy Bebop and liked them a good deal.

Hellsing: Ultimate will probably be up your alley.

Canaan I personally liked, but it's nothing amazing and is pretty "anime" with the special powers going on, there is some gunfighting though and it's a good action series if you want to kill some time. There's some decent action scenes in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex but there's also a lot more talking going on, but it's all really good and amazing.

That's all I'd really recommend before dipping into the mediocre to bad territory.

• Locked thread