Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

BDA still raids plenty, just has zero interest into what our friend ohno calls "competition". We enjoy a good race, when one presents itself (not often, due to the "camp out your various alts fully buffed" strat), and still raid Sky and other planes regularly too. We've been getting Vox a bit lately too, heh. Not that I play anymore.

How'd I forget your Vox domination of late? My bad! Let me know next time you're going after her if you see me on and we're not "racing" or "competing" for her. It's the only mob outside of VP I've never fought on live or here, and I'd love to see her. Got my 52 cleric ready to give ya'll some heals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Velious will relieve some pressure and spread things out a bit on the blue server, but I think the team server will have a greater impact.

If these guys want real competition, the team server will be the place to be.

Team server.

Team server.

Team server.

:teamserverbreakdance:

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

BDA still raids plenty, just has zero interest into what our friend ohno calls "competition". We enjoy a good race, when one presents itself (not often, due to the "camp out your various alts fully buffed" strat), and still raid Sky and other planes regularly too. We've been getting Vox a bit lately too, heh. Not that I play anymore.

It sucks that the people who spend (waste) the most time on this game and band together with like minded people will inevitably lock down content and prevent others from experiencing it. That's why games like this aren't made anymore. New games have instances so everyone can experience the enjoyable content, regardless of their immersion level. P1999 problems are compounded by the fact that there is a single server, a very top heavy population, and no new content for years. All of this leads to a race to kill the raid target, which is actually a lot of fun. Really, that's one of the main reasons I play this game, because I enjoy this style of fast response raiding. I have 2 level 60s and can attend 95% of the kills if I'm anywhere near my home or work computers. But, I do realize this style of raiding doesn't suit many on the server. I don't think the majority of TMO members continue to play to hold others back, we continue to play because it's fun.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In non-good-ol-boy related drama, I have now given Lokar To'Biath over 1000 bottles of Red Wine. Yet, I am still hated by DreadguardInner and DreadguardOuter. (The merchants love me now though!)

Do we have any idea what the negative faction cap is? I killed some dark elf guards in my 20's and am wondering if I should keep plinking away at this or if it is too wide a chasm to cross? Are there any other ways to raise dark elf guard faction other than this one at a time turn-in poo poo?

:smith:

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Siets posted:

In non-good-ol-boy related drama, I have now given Lokar To'Biath over 1000 bottles of Red Wine. Yet, I am still hated by DreadguardInner and DreadguardOuter. (The merchants love me now though!)

Do we have any idea what the negative faction cap is? I killed some dark elf guards in my 20's and am wondering if I should keep plinking away at this or if it is too wide a chasm to cross? Are there any other ways to raise dark elf guard faction other than this one at a time turn-in poo poo?

I never got non-KOS to the guards doing this (high elf paladin, was factioning for book of scale) but got the same thing with the Merchants. Going max KOS to non-KOS can take quite a darn while (IE when I camped my ghoulbane I went to max KOS with the live frogs in Guk, and even after spending a lot of time leveling in Lguk on the dead ones I never got back to non-KOS. Someday!)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

They should go threatening in another 1-400, and then it's only a few hundred more to get non-KOS (dubious). Max-KOS to threatening is the lion's share of the work (1200-1400ish hits). I figured out the exact numbers when I was working up Chadok faction originally, but they're on a now defunct guild forum and I don't feel like busting out old logs to count faction hits again.

You can do the Evil Research quest in SRo with (greater)lightstones to get the same faction hits but chucking cheap wine at an NPC is much faster. There's plenty of mobs you can kill (most halflings) to bump your guard faction but you'd be eating faction hits to other stuff at the same time.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, you guys have given me hope then! Hopefully I am most of the way there. Also many thanks to Jherec for helping me charm Lokar for the first round of turn-ins!

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely turned in enough on my iksar monk to run to the bank/vend without any trouble. Just watch out for the guild houses.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
This game would be sooooo much better if the server population was more in line with original servers. As it stands, it's much more difficult due to the lack of groups, rezzes, etc. I'm level 37 and just received my first rez ever that wasn't from a GM. I died trying to get to rear end/sup to get my DE mask, because of course everything was fully spawned because there were 5 people in zone, and 4 of them were 50+.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The mid-level population is definitely the worst segment, which is a function of the age of the server and the nature of leveling rather than the overall population, which is actually in a pretty good spot for the current content (~1k simultaneous at peak which makes many zones fairly crowded). Kunark has been out for 2.5 years, so many people have at least 1 level 60 and are working on twinks. There's plenty of groups for low and high level characters, but since the vast majority of time spent leveling 1-60 is 50-60, and many people quit the server or their twinks at or before the first hell level, the 30-50 span is a bit empty. Those who can afford it are getting powerleveled or go balls out on twink gear and are still able to solo. You will just have to suck it up for a bit - put cool people on your friends list and try to group up with them, even if you need to travel. Join a leveling guild if that makes it easier, but being proactive about forming groups is your best bet.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

ChadBro, are you a bard or rogue?

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Bard.

Actually ended up getting a guildie to come rez me and drag me to rear end/sup, where I did successfully get my mask! But now I'm stuck. =X

The good thing is at least I have options. I really tried to avoid low hp kiting because I like grouping and I see no point to rushing to 60 to get to the lackluster raid scene. Having said that, I went from 30-36 yesterday and didn't spend one minute LFG.

E: If anyone around mid-high 30s wants to be bait for low hp kiting let me know. You need SoW or jboots.

ChadBroChill17 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Got some free Adamantite Epaulets on my trader in EC for the first person to respond to this thread that wants 'em.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

ChadBroChill17 posted:

Bard.

Actually ended up getting a guildie to come rez me and drag me to rear end/sup, where I did successfully get my mask! But now I'm stuck. =X

The good thing is at least I have options. I really tried to avoid low hp kiting because I like grouping and I see no point to rushing to 60 to get to the lackluster raid scene. Having said that, I went from 30-36 yesterday and didn't spend one minute LFG.

E: If anyone around mid-high 30s wants to be bait for low hp kiting let me know. You need SoW or jboots.

My main is also a bard. Low HP kiting is boring, but extremely effective. I resisted for a while, but eventually got on board with it and got to 60 months quicker than I would have in normal exp groups.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Among the other criticisms of this server, mine is that the economy is all hosed up. There is entirely too much plat on the server, due to the amount of time the game has been out and other more serious reasons, and it definitely hinders new players.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131586

Hahaha. Come white knight TMO some more please!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

ohno posted:

Among the other criticisms of this server, mine is that the economy is all hosed up. There is entirely too much plat on the server, due to the amount of time the game has been out and other more serious reasons, and it definitely hinders new players.

RMT and account trading in general is almost entirely to blame for this. In a game where moneysinks are few and far between, and the only substantial way that plat leaves the server is when people quit/get banned and their money rots on their account. When people can sell their character and all their plat for realbux, it results in the consolidation of more wealth into fewer hands, and those rich quitters are replaced in the economy by broke newcomers.

The market is noticeably saner since they banned account trading but RMT is still alive and well. On the plus side, the low end market is functioning again so you can sell low/mid level gear and actually make some cash.

I'm really curious to see how many millions the first noteworthy Velious dropables go for, especially since some of the less active super-rich dudes will probably be back swinging their solid gold e-peens around.

And it's about loving time. Glad to know Rogean is still alive.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Apparently the entire economy is a lie. I was really hoping those duping complaints last summer were all lies - but apparently there is a lot of truth behind it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also, if FE/IB and TMO are all raid suspended it is totally pickup VP raid time.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
The timing of 1) that goon talking up TMO a day or two ago and 2) you guys bitching about the suspect economy exactly when the bans got announced is pretty hilarious.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

i'm just hearing about this for the first time myself. I know 2 names so far, I bet the third is also probably in TMO. The guild chat is omg combusting. Enjoy VP everyone! I hope the economy can survive the bajillion plat that was interjected because of this poo poo.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
This is surprising, I always thought Rogean was working with the TMO RMTers to make some side cash for himself and that's why he never did anything about. Guess he was just really lazy and/or didn't care until now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

And it's about loving time. Glad to know Rogean is still alive.

Hot poo poo. The top 2 on suspension, hopefully there aren't too many ultra-long-extended-variance windows for pops.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Well the entire way of raiding on here, that I've been defending for the past few days, is completely over.

Rogean posted:

Raid Scene
It continues to be an aggravating realization among CSR staff that 10% of the server population causes 90% of the problems. We are all for competition, but it needs to be fair competition. We are also all here for the same thing, to experience classic Everquest. The same guild monopolizing raid content for 2 years that they might not even need anymore is ridiculous, just to block other guilds from the chance of gearing up to take on the same end game content.

I was thinking to myself the other day and I came to ask myself.. Are we providing this server to give people the arena to compete to such bitter extremes that it has resorted to taking every absolute measure to be victorious, or are we here to provide a classic Everquest experience for everyone to enjoy?

A lot of you make fun of it in your own terms, but it really does come down to fighting over very old content.

Either way, we're tired of the constant bickering, the training, the ninja looting, and all the other bullshit that's going on. So here's what we're going to do.

Starting today and then evaluated when Velious is released the CSR staff will be keeping track of how the raid guilds are treating eachother. If we do not see a significant improvement in the behavior of the raiding guilds and how they treat eachother, Velious will be released without raid content. To be clear, we want an enjoyable raid scene for everyone, not just one or two guilds. This means working together to figure out a compromise when racing for mobs, and working with smaller guilds to let them have a chance at mobs you don't absolutely need for gearing main characters.

Don't think that this means you can continue making GBS threads on each other and just not petition, the staff will still be watching.

Enjoy the raid mobs everyone! =P

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'm still trying to fathom why someone in a top raiding guild even needs to dupe platinum when they're selling planar rots and MQs and all other sorts of poo poo? How much platinum can you possibly need? HOW MANY FUNGI TUNICS? HOW MANY

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Because platinum sells for between $2-3 / 1k.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Oh. Welp.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Yea, I can't wait to see all of the RMT fallout over the next few weeks. I'm not going to get banned because nobody else has access to my accounts, but this could be near the end of my TMO/P1999 experience. I'm definitely glad that they caught, though I did like the 2 people that were doing this under our noses.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
FE/IB are no longer suspended, FYI. Hopefully we can work to do something a little more fun for everyone over the next two weeks.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cool, I may end up logging Bugen in VP just to train hang out with you guys.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Phara Dar is late in window FYI. Get there first!

It'll be interesting to see what they mean by the "raid changes or else" comments. Rotations? maybe~

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Holy loving poo poo.

That's all I want to say.

e: poo poo holy gently caress.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 20, 2013

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007

ohno posted:

Phara Dar is late in window FYI. Get there first!

It'll be interesting to see what they mean by the "raid changes or else" comments. Rotations? maybe~

I didn't really hit the raid scene in live until Velious. At that point our #1 uber guild had NToV basically locked down. There were two 1a guilds that managed to swipe a NToV dragon or two every once in a while, and they would also compete for Kael mobs, Dain, Tunare, etc. The next tier of guilds (Were about 3 or 4 here) did poo poo like Vindi, Statue (If he was up), Zlandi, and WToV/Halls of Testing. They also did Kunark dragons still as well. Once ST opened, our #1 did keep it locked down for quite some time until they were all satisfied with their primals. After that other guilds were allowed to get some loot as well.

With the huge increase in raid mobs in Velious, I just don't see how guilds playing in their respective tiers and not reaching down to cockblock other guilds or gear alts couldn't work? Live servers managed it with many more people, and while there was competition at times it was always against your peers. I remember sitting at Dozekar's spawnpoint for 6 hours with a rival guild sitting right across from us, hoping to get the kill as well. It sucked, but it was tolerated because we were equals. If the resident powerhouse guild came and pulled that poo poo? People would have gone nuts.

Basically, Velious gives us enough new mobs that as long as TMO plays nice, it should work itself out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Mm, your tears are so yummy and sweet! Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! My-yummy!

Glad to see Rogean is seeing how lovely the raid scene is. Here's hoping we get rotations and the bitchy try hards move to the PVP server or something.

Also what's the deal with 86 shared accounts? Maybe the guy who knew the exploit didn't want to share it and didn't want to transfer lots of plat between accounts to raise flags so he offered to log into your account and do it for you.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

They were long standing and trusted members I guess. They probably had ~10 of their own characters guilded, access to ~10 trackers, and numerous peoples accounts who have quit or trusted them. There will probably be 20 accounts perma banned from the guild, owned by the offenders. The other accounts will probably be returned after a month or so suspension. It sucks for us that they were in TMO, but TMO didn't condone the activity (to my knowledge). Rogean loves the drama and he is sure getting it with this scandal! TMO has survived 2 2 week suspensions in the past, will probably survive this one too. It wasn't rampant within the guild, just 2 assholes that are dragging the guild name through the gutter. For the many that hate TMO, enjoy the RNF =p

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:master:

I have waited so long to use this smilie. So. Long. This... This is the time for masterstroke to be posted.

Exciting times on Project 1999! I will be very curious to see how the end-game scene plays out.

What does this mean for the economy though? Can the duped plat be tracked?

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully we will see prices drop now that they fixed whatever this dupe is.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Duped plat can be tracked through logs which will also show most RMT transactions (cases where plat went to a character for nothing or for an incommensurate set of items), but by now much of it will be in the hands of people who engaged in legit transactions. All the plat that was on those accounts, as well as the items that were bought with such plat (which includes least one pre-nerf fungi staff) will be gone.

ohno posted:

It wasn't rampant within the guild, just 2 assholes that are dragging the guild name through the gutter. For the many that hate TMO, enjoy the RNF =p
I've mostly stayed away from this stuff, but here's the thing...Froovy and Internode are worth, in terms of tenure and representation of TMO as a guild, about 50 of you and the other people who have joined TMO in the post-competitive era of TMO dominance. When long time, well established, and widely known members of a guild turn out to be the worst kind of cheaters, it does and should reflect on the entire guild. This is not a_rogue_01 who joined to scrape VP rots, these are guys who have been around, core members, people who got early contested epics and won BOTB. I have no problem with a guild not being accountable for new, unknown, fairly untested members, but these are exactly the kind of people that TMO has been proud to have wear the tag for years, and TMO is the environment in which people like this flourished.

Furthermore, this kind of poo poo is not some exception to the rule that you are trying to make it out to be, it's the crown jewel of infamy in a collection that goes back to a few scrubs in SolB constantly training FGs to the LS zone-in because they meant to take them to train people in Efreeti but kept getting lost on the way.

I like many others wish Rogean had nuked TMO as a guild. However, I don't wish this out of spite - I do so because it would be nice if the good folks in TMO, which is probably a solid 90%+, could lose the lovely rear end in a top hat weight of people like Internode and Froovy and actually become the guild that you keep describing in your posts, ohno.

EDIT: And to be clear, I don't think TMO is at all alone in the history of the server in this need to lose their lovely members, but they are certainly the shining example of the moment. Ask Divinty if you need help in the future figuring out how to not let scumbags in, they seem to be pretty good at it.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 20, 2013

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
For those that don't know, within about 2 hours of the hammer coming out leadership from 5 guilds (FE, IB, BDA, Divinity, and Taken) hashed out an agreement to hopefully get more people involved in killing dragons if they wanna try.

The basic plan is if you kill a raid boss, the next time it spawns said guild will need to wait till at least 2 hours after spawn to engage it. This should give other guilds more than enough time to mobilize and engage the boss. Any guild that is interested can join in. It also means that if you want to kill mobs, you'll still need to put forth some effort and track a bit (yay variance!) and mobilize, lest you see someone else kill that dragon that you wanted to (yay "competition")!

Oh, and no one will be training in VP.

Hopefully it won't be just the same old faces killing the mobs these two weeks. Good luck to everyone that decides to give it a whirl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Funkutron5000 posted:

For those that don't know, within about 2 hours of the hammer coming out leadership from 5 guilds (FE, IB, BDA, Divinity, and Taken) hashed out an agreement to hopefully get more people involved in killing dragons if they wanna try.

Who knows. Maybe Rogean/Nilbog will disable variance if they see this work and then we'll be even more classic.

• Locked thread