Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm trying to go back to an old character and I'm getting shittons of CTDs. I'm guessing it's because I'm not running the same mix of mods any more. What's the easiest way to see the list of mods that were associated with that savegame?
Also, will a rough upgrade of SPERG (without doing the uninstall -> clean save -> new version) break anything? I don't want to track down the old version I was using back then and install it so I can uninstall it from the save.

Going from a pre-4.0 version to the current one without uninstalling will completely and utterly break the mod and/or your save. They are basically two different mods that do mostly the same things, so you'd be removing a script-heavy mod without uninstall, then adding another one on top of it. It wouldn't even be an issue if mods could be safely removed without this uninstall nonsense, but maybe that's a goal for Elder Scrolls 6 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Preem Palver posted:

Are there any house mods with a nice, large trophy room with tons of mannequins? I looked at the most downloaded and endorsed player homes on the Nexus, but the ones I looked at still only had 4-8 mannequins in a home. I want to be able to display all of the high-end and unique armors found in Skyrim/Solstheim/mods, but I'd rather have it in one house or room and not spread across a dozen houses spanning all of Skyrim.

It might be themed wrong for your character, but there is one suited for vampires: The Shoruded Lair

I pretty much always go Vampire in my playthroughs so I'm forever using this. Make sure your volume isn't too high when doing a room transition though. I should probably mention it has a lot (15+ if I recall correctly) of mannequins.

Nymix fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 19, 2013

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

King Doom posted:

I'd like reccomendations on this as well, I'd love to find a player home with a decent trophy room instead of one mannequin hidden in a secret room because 'oh noes they move scary!'

For you and the previous query both, Aemer's Refuge has a pretty extensive mannequin room, a vault, bedroom with a number of weapon stands, etc.

Also, overall, it's honestly my favorite housing mod I've used so far.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
I'm having problems with game updates and SKSE. The latest patch should be 1.9.32.08, but my game is only 1.9.31.08 which makes SKSE complain. The game won't update even though I've got legit everything from Steam. Even googling doesn't give me answers.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Arctic Bunny posted:

I'm having problems with game updates and SKSE. The latest patch should be 1.9.32.08, but my game is only 1.9.31.08 which makes SKSE complain. The game won't update even though I've got legit everything from Steam. Even googling doesn't give me answers.

You did the "Verify integrity of game cache" thing already, I take it?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Thanks for this! Just got a chance to try it and it worked. Turned out to be an incorrect load order for the unofficial patches.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Technogeek posted:

You did the "Verify integrity of game cache" thing already, I take it?
Three times. I don't play the game in English, so maybe that's the issue?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Telamon posted:

I love how stable these games have become over the years. A lightly modded Oblivion never got anywhere close to stable as a super modded Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas have been for me.

Unfortunately I messed something up. My brother and I installed tons of lovely lovely mods individually on our separate systems, experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever, but now both crash at the WindhelmDocksExterior01 cell for some reason. Entering it through the Windhelm gate causes the crash without fail. Using the COC command to teleport to it and then entering an interior cell or saving the game causes the crash every time too. I'm going to get his mod list and load order to compare to mine but has anyone ever experienced anything similar? The Papyrus logs aren't helping me in this instance.

I've had the same problem. What fixed it for me was to go into an interior cell, type "pcb" ("purge cell buffer") into the console, and then wait for two days. This worked for me during the most recent instances of this problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I started up my Skyrim game for the first time in forever recently, updated mods, and so far things have been pretty fantastic. Well, I kinda wish my sword swings would slow down (the 45% haste from having the perks in One-Handed SPERG is hilarious). I've run into a problem with my inventory though; certain items seem to be duplicating themselves, and I'm not sure why. Two questions relating to it: Is this a vanilla glitch? If not, is there any way to scrub a save file of old mod remains? Since, uh, I'm not exactly the most careful person as far as installing and uninstalling mods.

Update: I think it has something to do with me entering the Heljarchen Hall Cellar area.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 20, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I picked up Illia as a follower a while ago. She's an imperial ice mage. Lately she hasn't been casting spells at all, just running into melee whatever I'm trying to hit and complaining that I hit her. I think it started when I gave her the Gauldur Blackbow and some arrows and maybe she ran out of mana? It happens even after I take all her weapons away.

I tried telling her to wait. I dunno what happens when you dismiss someone (that's not a Companion) so I've been avoiding trying that in case I have to chase her back to her home or something. I don't have any follower mods added. Is this kind of thing common? Is there an easy fix?

edit: Also, for maximum hitting-stuff-with-other-stuff power, do I need to get the 2-handed perks in addition to the 1-handed perks? With SPERG a lot of the perks say something like "with all weapons," on the other hand some of them have duplicate effects (like ignore 50% of armor). Do they affect all weapons, or only 1h/2h respective to their perk tree?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

kaschei posted:

I picked up Illia as a follower a while ago. She's an imperial ice mage. Lately she hasn't been casting spells at all, just running into melee whatever I'm trying to hit and complaining that I hit her. I think it started when I gave her the Gauldur Blackbow and some arrows and maybe she ran out of mana? It happens even after I take all her weapons away.

I tried telling her to wait. I dunno what happens when you dismiss someone (that's not a Companion) so I've been avoiding trying that in case I have to chase her back to her home or something. I don't have any follower mods added. Is this kind of thing common? Is there an easy fix?

edit: Also, for maximum hitting-stuff-with-other-stuff power, do I need to get the 2-handed perks in addition to the 1-handed perks? With SPERG a lot of the perks say something like "with all weapons," on the other hand some of them have duplicate effects (like ignore 50% of armor). Do they affect all weapons, or only 1h/2h respective to their perk tree?

The parts that say all weapons affect all weapons. You can get some absolutely ludicrous swing speeds if you advance down both the One Handed and Two Handed trees. This is probably why the suggestion is to only get a perk every other level, because some of the stacking gets hilarious.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

chaosapiant posted:

The biggest thing I enjoy in a companion is their ability to remark on different things in the game.

Yeah I agree with that. It really adds to the overall feeling of "Place" and realism for me when a companion seems to be aware of what we're doing, why we're doing it, and where we are. I imagine that's a small nightmare to script for all possible scenarios, but it definitely makes a big difference.

chaosapiant posted:

As for Vilja though...she was written and designed by a woman

Huh, I had no idea, but that definitely makes a lot of sense now that I look back on it.

quote:

and the romance was never added until much later (in Oblivion at least, she may have had it to start in Skyrim) because so many people requested it,

I'm not opposed to the idea of writing a companion romance if it's appropriate within the world and character--if for no other reason than it gives the player character something else to "do" that isn't just fetch-questing.

quote:

and part of her story/dialogue was written by Terry Pratchet, for better or for worse.

Man, that...blows my mind a little. How the heck did she manage that?

quote:

But she is still, to me, the shining gold example of an NPC companion done right.

Definitely agree she's the closest there is at the moment. I'm still impressed by the sheer volume of stuff there is to do with her, and how much work went into making her as complete as she is.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I do want to note that some of the most recent versions of Vilja in Skyrim replaced some of the worst voice acted-lines with better quality ones. It's a drop in the bucket, really, but using it alongside Audio Overhaul for Skyrim (it effects NPC voices a bit in certain interiors, like caverns, which goes a long way to making her sound less detached from the game) makes it palatable enough that I've reinstalled it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
My main problem with Vilja was her constant badgering about her loving quest. I'd be in the middle of doing my own thing and she'd be there saying "Oh I dooooo hope we can go to X, and speak to/find/kill Y". ALL. THE. loving. TIME! It was like Cousin Roman and his constant need to go bowling/drinking/whatever. In the end I took her up to High Hrothgar and gave her the Annoying Fan treatment off the top. I've heard she's been toned down now, but unless the mod author has completely removed her quest nagging, screw that. Shame, because as said she does feel like a real person. It's just that person pisses me right off.

Although if she had a line where she said "Hey Dovahkiin, want to go see some beeeg fake Nordic titties!?", I'd download her just for that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MadJackMcJack posted:

My main problem with Vilja was her constant badgering about her loving quest. I'd be in the middle of doing my own thing and she'd be there saying "Oh I dooooo hope we can go to X, and speak to/find/kill Y". ALL. THE. loving. TIME! It was like Cousin Roman and his constant need to go bowling/drinking/whatever. In the end I took her up to High Hrothgar and gave her the Annoying Fan treatment off the top. I've heard she's been toned down now, but unless the mod author has completely removed her quest nagging, screw that. Shame, because as said she does feel like a real person. It's just that person pisses me right off.

Although if she had a line where she said "Hey Dovahkiin, want to go see some beeeg fake Nordic titties!?", I'd download her just for that.

I found her more hilarious, especially in Oblivion. I'd be sneaking, underleveled, through some ancient ayleid ruin. I'm being quiet and stealthy, and she bumps into my back and is all "I'd like a strawberry! Do you think we can look for ingredients? How about we go home, sit by the fire, have a glass of wine?" "SHUT THE gently caress UP! NOW IS NOT THE TIME!"" Sigh...and she still sounded better than anyone else in Oblivion.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just got the Bow from the second to last quest in Dawnguard and the last quest hasn't started; looking around online, it seems to be a usual problem (glad I didn't buy this on release) or a mod problem. Any clues about what mods could be causing it?

I tried using console commands, but only got to "finish" the quest using "completequest" but can't make Serana's mother to acknowledge that Harkon is dead and his castle is still locked up. Any ideas about other commands to force other characters to acknowledge Harkon's death?

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

radlum posted:

I just got the Bow from the second to last quest in Dawnguard and the last quest hasn't started; looking around online, it seems to be a usual problem (glad I didn't buy this on release) or a mod problem. Any clues about what mods could be causing it?

I tried using console commands, but only got to "finish" the quest using "completequest" but can't make Serana's mother to acknowledge that Harkon is dead and his castle is still locked up. Any ideas about other commands to force other characters to acknowledge Harkon's death?

Did you try setting the stage to the first one in the quest?
code:
setstage DLC1VQ08 10

radlum
May 13, 2013

PolarPear posted:

Did you try setting the stage to the first one in the quest?
code:
setstage DLC1VQ08 10

Yeah, I tried that for that quest and for the previous one (setstage DLC1VQ07 200) and resetquest for both. I tried disabling all my mods in MO but it remained the same

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

radlum posted:

Yeah, I tried that for that quest and for the previous one (setstage DLC1VQ07 200) and resetquest for both. I tried disabling all my mods in MO but it remained the same

Can't say I know of any mods that break those quests with setstage not doing anything to fix it, maybe someone will catch something if you post a load order. If all else fails loading every mod you use in TES5Edit and checking for things that edit those quests might give useful info.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Before I start investigating modding in my own pre-enchanted items, does anyone know of a good mod to provide cloth options for thieves guild and nightingale armor? I'd be ok with a no-armor version of the nightingale armor since it's kinda magic armor anyhow. For the thieves guild armor I'm not specifically looking for the same model with no armor, something like a basic brown robe for a subtle and novice cloth armor appropriate for a low level thief.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

graynull posted:

Before I start investigating modding in my own pre-enchanted items, does anyone know of a good mod to provide cloth options for thieves guild and nightingale armor? I'd be ok with a no-armor version of the nightingale armor since it's kinda magic armor anyhow. For the thieves guild armor I'm not specifically looking for the same model with no armor, something like a basic brown robe for a subtle and novice cloth armor appropriate for a low level thief.

Making an existing armor into a no armor cloth version is super easy. Just duplicate it in the CK and change the armor rating to 0 and weight dropdown to none. Then remove the ArmorLight or ArmorHeavy keyword and add ArmorClothing. It won't be added to lists or anything but you can console it in when you get a vanilla version.

Actually integrating a new weapon or armor into the game is a super pain in the rear end. You of course need the item and crafting and tempering recipes. Each vanilla piece has about a dozen leveled lists that use it plus some outfits. Then you have to make the pre-enchanted versions which are actual items themselves, which are usually about 20-25 copies. Then you have to add those to any leveled lists that use them which are usually only a couple. Which is why most mod authors only make the crafting and tempering recipes and maybe put them in a barrel somewhere.

I got fed up with all that and wrote Lootification to integrate mod items into the world based on your load order. Its a little finicky and the UI will probably make you want to puke but it gets the job done.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I found her more hilarious, especially in Oblivion. I'd be sneaking, underleveled, through some ancient ayleid ruin. I'm being quiet and stealthy, and she bumps into my back and is all "I'd like a strawberry! Do you think we can look for ingredients? How about we go home, sit by the fire, have a glass of wine?" "SHUT THE gently caress UP! NOW IS NOT THE TIME!"" Sigh...and she still sounded better than anyone else in Oblivion.

I actually liked a lot of her banter, especially the banter she had with other followers (at one point, she started singing with Lydia. Never even knew Lydia had those voice files!). But when every other line is the Same. loving. Thing. Over and over? Well, I snapped a little and she went flying off a mountain.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 20, 2013

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Getting back into Skyrim and loading up on mods. Is there a "make werewolves less lovely" mod that is recommended?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dohaeris posted:

Getting back into Skyrim and loading up on mods. Is there a "make werewolves less lovely" mod that is recommended?

Dawnguard?
Perked out werewolves with the Dawnguard bonuses are pretty lethal. Especially with the super-knockdown on the charge attack.

I do use a mod to let myself transform more than once per day though.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

MadJackMcJack posted:

Even Serana starts to get really tiresome after you've heard her complain about the weather for the millionth time. Dialog is really good but sometimes I think they go too far in the other direction.

Vilja is technically very well done but she's also one of only a handful of custom companions and I think it leads to a lot of people giving her a try who probably aren't her target audience, which as far as I can tell is teen girls.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Does The Dance of Death mod work with SPERG?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

General Morden posted:

Does The Dance of Death mod work with SPERG?

So long as you turn off the thing that locks certain killmoves behind perks, it should work fine.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, I just started to mod Skyrim. Having no problems with basic mods until I tried doing ENB. I tried Project ENB since it came as the most recommended. I followed the whole installation process, got my typical recommended "ultra high" settings, turned off AA, and launched through SKSE. The problem is that the second I try to load a saved game or start a new one, the FPS drops to one, and it gets stuck on the loading screen. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Plan Z posted:

So, I just started to mod Skyrim. Having no problems with basic mods until I tried doing ENB. I tried Project ENB since it came as the most recommended. I followed the whole installation process, got my typical recommended "ultra high" settings, turned off AA, and launched through SKSE. The problem is that the second I try to load a saved game or start a new one, the FPS drops to one, and it gets stuck on the loading screen. Does anyone know what's wrong?

That happened to me with ProjectENB as well, try one of the other ones; I didn't really look for a solution beyond that, seeing as it was the only one of the profiles doing it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

That happened to me with ProjectENB as well, try one of the other ones; I didn't really look for a solution beyond that, seeing as it was the only one of the profiles doing it.

I had originally tried the Seasons of Skyrim before that, and it was even worse. It's apparently the default ENB that's the problem. Threw my graphics to low, and jacked up the memory settings in the enblocal file, and managed to get past the loading screen, but now the game runs at like 5 fps without any ENB configs hooked up to it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 21, 2013

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
So what are some must-have mods for a scummy sneak-thief? Like for any mage I'd say Apocalypse Spell Pack and Acquisitive Soul Gems is an absolute must, and then possibly one or all of opulent outfits, tribunal robes and masks, or archmage crafting. Assume I already have all the general purpose mods like basically everything from S.T.E.P. I also have Path of Shadows Sneak Settings already, and am using SPERG so any perk mod is a no-go.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

melon farmer posted:

So what are some must-have mods for a scummy sneak-thief? Like for any mage I'd say Apocalypse Spell Pack and Acquisitive Soul Gems is an absolute must, and then possibly one or all of opulent outfits, tribunal robes and masks, or archmage crafting. Assume I already have all the general purpose mods like basically everything from S.T.E.P. I also have Path of Shadows Sneak Settings already, and am using SPERG so any perk mod is a no-go.
You've already got about half of it covered- some sort of mod to tweak enemy awareness/player detectability.
As for the rest, I would strongly recommend Sneak Tools, which has something for a variety of stealthy playstyles: water arrows to create darkness for the 'ghost' types who just want to get around unseen, and stealthy throat slits and fire arrows to set off oil puddles, for the 'assassin' types.

It hasn't been updated since the beginning of the year, sadly, but I've never had a problem with it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Welp, after installing 127 mods, BOSSing them, Wyre Bashing them, and generally making sure they don't cause my game to die a horrible, screaming death, I'm still running into a bug.

....I'm okay with this.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Plan Z posted:

I had originally tried the Seasons of Skyrim before that, and it was even worse. It's apparently the default ENB that's the problem. Threw my graphics to low, and jacked up the memory settings in the enblocal file, and managed to get past the loading screen, but now the game runs at like 5 fps without any ENB configs hooked up to it.

ENB can be pretty system intensive. You may need to try a lesser ENB profile. What are your system specs? Have you installed a bunch of texture packs?

edit: You made sure to grab the exact version of ENB suggested, right? and that you removed everything from Seasons of Skyrim before adding the Project ENB stuff?

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 21, 2013

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

ENB can be pretty system intensive. You may need to try a lesser ENB profile. What are your system specs? Have you installed a bunch of texture packs?

edit: You made sure to grab the exact version of ENB suggested, right? and that you removed everything from Seasons of Skyrim before adding the Project ENB stuff?

I can run stuff like Crysis 3 on highest settings without performance problems, so I don't think it's my hardware. And like I said in a second post, even vanilla ENB without some kind of program attached to it runs lovely. I did the recommended installs on any of the profiles I tried. I think I goofed up in the installation, but I'm not really worried about it anymore.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

MadJackMcJack posted:

Welp, after installing 127 mods, BOSSing them, Wyre Bashing them, and generally making sure they don't cause my game to die a horrible, screaming death, I'm still running into a bug.

....I'm okay with this.
You seem to have a mod that changes the guards so they're wearing steel armor, and another mod that changes the helmets to being closed-faced (that's why the head is disappearing), which is being overridden by yet another mod that changes the armature record for steel helmets back to open-faced but without touching the armor record itself... or something :confused:

This would probably be easy to find and fix with TES5Edit. If you're going to install half the mods on Skyrim Nexus, learning how to use that tool is pretty much mandatory. I promise you've broken a bunch of other poo poo, as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

chaosapiant posted:

As for Vilja though...she was written and designed by a woman, and the romance was never added until much later (in Oblivion at least, she may have had it to start in Skyrim) because so many people requested it, and part of her story/dialogue was written by Terry Pratchet, for better or for worse. I agree that her voice acting isn't the best. It was awesome in Oblivion because everyone else sounded lovely, but she sounds too timid and meek in Skyrim where the VA is actually good in the game. But she is still, to me, the shining gold example of an NPC companion done right.

From everybody talking this up, I decided to look into the mod and watch some videos. While it seems well-written and put together, the audio quality and acting for both Vilja and the other new characters is really off-putting. I think it'd be really jarring to actually have that going on in the game, it basically sounds like you're in a Mumble chat with a Swedish woman who's commenting on the game and role-playing as a follower.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah making your own compatibility patches with TES5EDIT is the way to go. It isn't that hard to learn either.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

From everybody talking this up, I decided to look into the mod and watch some videos. While it seems well-written and put together, the audio quality and acting for both Vilja and the other new characters is really off-putting. I think it'd be really jarring to actually have that going on in the game, it basically sounds like you're in a Mumble chat with a Swedish woman who's commenting on the game and role-playing as a follower.

Joke's on you: she's not even Swedish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

kaschei posted:

Joke's on you: she's not even Swedish.

There's a high probability that she's on mumble though.

• Locked thread