Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fookolt posted:

Is that spoilered bit hyperbole or are you being serious? I don't know which answer would make me want to read the book more or less.

He's being totally serious. Make of that what you will.

As for my take, On Basilisk Station is a pretty good book. Honor's a little smug, but otherwise it's a decent read with well thought out action. Around about Fields of Dishonor (book four) things start to go off the rails with Honor being better at everything than anyone else. By the time Weber got to At All Costs I was hanging on for just one reason, that Honor was being set up as an Admiral Nelson analogue and with Space Trafalgar on the horizon, by all rights Honor should die and make the universe a less Mary Suish place. But no, Weber didn't have the guts to kill his cash cow, so someone else died in Honor's place and I was out. If you've got fuckin' Rob S. Pierre as a character, another character as the clear Napoleon counterpart, and your main character is clearly Lord Nelson then by God you kill Nelson at Trafalgar! With that last betrayal I simply couldn't carry on.

gently caress Honor Harrington and gently caress all Mary Sues, of whom Honor is the worst I've ever seen. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

fookolt posted:

Is that spoilered bit hyperbole or are you being serious? I don't know which answer would make me want to read the book more or less.

It's all true. I love the hell out of the Honor Harrington books, but she's a total Mary Sue. They're great fun, and I'll put "egregious Mary Sue" over "space zombie Al Capone" for my stupid thing to put up with in a story, but if it turns you off then don't go for it. There's other books out there.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

jng2058 posted:

gently caress Honor Harrington and gently caress all Mary Sues, of whom Honor is the worst I've ever seen. :argh:

Jenetta Carver tops Honor Harrington easily, with the added 'bonus' of being turned on by pain and possibly immortal.

snooman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 9, 2013

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

fookolt posted:

It's not hyperbole.

The first book or two are serviceable, then it... just disappears into the Mary Sue Singularity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fookolt posted:

I'd say he's significantly downplaying and understating things, actually.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

snooman posted:

Jenetta Carver tops Honor Harrington easily, with the added 'bonus' of being turned on by pain and possibly immortal.

Amend to "that I've actually read" then. Where's Carver from so I can avoid her like the plague?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mllaneza posted:

Glen Cook has war in space stuff. The Dragon Never Sleeps has some beautiful battles in it, you just can't go wrong with 250-tonne antimatter shells. It qualifies as Roman-legions-in-space too. Passage at Arms is a love letter to Das Boot and Run Silent, Run Deep. There's a lower proportion of spaceships blowing up in the Shadowline/Starfishers trilogy, but read those too. Shadowline is mostly mercenary wars in the far future. The next two are more military intelligence missions gone wrong. He put a couple of stories from that setting in his new collection Winter's Dreams, which also has some very good dying earth swords and sorcery.

For another opinion, I can STRONGLY recommend Passage At Arms, it is truly an excellent book which takes everything fascinating, claustrophobic, and tense from submarine warfare and adds in the awesomeness of space warfare. Pretty good characterization and excellent scibabble. Somewhat less so but still highly recommended would be The Dragon Never Sleeps. Its actually one large book that was made with almost a trilogy worth of material, so it is refreshingly stripped-down and fast-moving. I actually didn't know Glen Cook could write novels at this level of interest and complexity. They are far from perfect, but I find them to be excellent.

That being said, I found Starfishers to be laughably bad.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Amend to "that I've actually read" then. Where's Carver from so I can avoid her like the plague?

Thomas DePrima's A Galaxy Unknown series. Apparently he's considering leaving Amazon now, stemming from Amazon's response to a review that indirectly accused him of plagiarizing David Weber. I kind of feel sorry for the guy but the books are pretty bad.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

snooman posted:

Apparently he's considering leaving Amazon now, stemming from Amazon's response to a review that indirectly accused him of plagiarizing David Weber.

Tell me more...

quote:

The purple prose, needless use of 5 dollar words,and sentences like this one "Numerous items of limited pecuniary value stirred a vast reservoir of happy memories and stimulated her lachrymal glands beyond her control."

fritz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 11, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That sentence is hosed.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fallom posted:

That sentence is hosed.

But his characters aren't!

quote:

Issues developed which Amazon chose to ignore as if they were insignificant. One of their Vines reviewers defamed my good name by falsely accusing me of plagiarism and Amazon would do nothing about removing the review. As all of my readers know, the A Galaxy Unknown series was inspired by C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series, a brilliant, nineteenth century sea-going adventure. As it turns out, another author, David Weber, was also inspired by the C.S. Forester series to create a space opera . The Amazon reviewer, a neighbor of Weber, declared that I plagiarized Weber's work, although on Wikipedia it clears states that Weber was trying to emulate Forester's work. The reviewer is obviously not well read, and certainly not very astute. In another part of his review he complains about the lack of sex in my series. My series is a space opera, not erotica. The man has obvious issues that might best be addressed by a good psychiatrist.

Also, after Amazon reorganized their category system, they established a grouping that lists Space Opera Series. Despite my repeated pleas over many months to have my series listed there, they would never add it to the important selling category which appears to be available to major publishers only. Amazon has sold over a quarter of a million copies of my best-selling space opera yet they refuse to list it with the other space operas on that list.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

Numerous items of limited pecuniary value stirred a vast reservoir of happy memories and stimulated her lachrymal glands beyond her control.

For some reason he also specifies the height of nearly every character that is mentioned.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

A Galaxy Unknown posted:

A young ensign, recently graduated from the Northern Hemisphere Space Academy, is wakened abruptly in the middle of the night by alarms, flashing lights, and dire messages to abandon ship. The petite blonde pulls on some clothes and races through the spaceship in a desperate search for an available life pod-- but it appears all have already departed.

So begins the epic story of Jenetta Carver. Get a tight grip on your book and prepare for an exciting adventure like few others because Jenetta is ready to take names and kick butts from one end of the galaxy to the other. She may be small, but she has an intellect as large as Colossus of Rhodes and makes General Sun-Tzu look like an amateur military enthusiast.

This is the best thing.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
noice

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So after talking a long break from reading, I'm looking for some of the best books in the genre to start in on. Any suggestions?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sneaky Fast posted:

So after talking a long break from reading, I'm looking for some of the best books in the genre to start in on. Any suggestions?

If you're looking for Real Literary Quality try Iain Banks (Player of Games is a great place to start with the Culture). Alternatively, though I still haven't read it, everyone in the SF/F community is agog over Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Sneaky Fast posted:

The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green http://www.amazon.com/Deathstalker-1-Simon-R-Green-ebook/dp/B005HG583G/

:) A little campy maybe but I thought it was awesome vOv

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Danith posted:

The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green http://www.amazon.com/Deathstalker-1-Simon-R-Green-ebook/dp/B005HG583G/

:) A little campy maybe but I thought it was awesome vOv

Just make sure to stop after the first book. What happens is you keep reading, and then at some point you realize Green's writing the same book again and again and again and just turning the volume knob up slightly each time...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Simon Green is a case of good ideas combined with lovely execution in a way that makes him drat near unreadable, imo.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I loved all the books :(

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Simon Green has only ever written one book, he just used different names/nouns in his Mad Libs draft. If you liked one book, you'll like every book, as long as you can deal with reading literally the exact same character description paragraph whenever a recurring character shows up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Simon Green has only ever written one book, he just used different names/nouns in his Mad Libs draft. If you liked one book, you'll like every book, as long as you can deal with reading literally the exact same character description paragraph whenever a recurring character shows up.

Hey, I can never get enough from evil guys monologuing until they inevitably get killed off. Sometimes by monologuing too long.

Also Blue Moon Rising is the best book ever (go read it), I liked it even more than his Deathstalker books, which come a close second by my book. His Nightside-books are good, too. But like Blue Moon Rising it's not exactly space opera.

Back to Deathstalker, as someone who read all the books in this series, it is astonishingly good and full of creative and often disturbing ideas. It's often quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, though. Like all his works you need a sometimes robust sense of humor to enjoy his stories.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

General Battuta posted:

Alternatively, though I still haven't read it, everyone in the SF/F community is agog over Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice.
I just read this. It was very good. Defiantly inspired by Banks.
Sadly the ending was pretty average, didn't fill me with confidence that the author can keep up with herself for the sequel.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some of the space operas along the lines of the Amory Wars? Except in book form.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

I just read this. It was very good. Defiantly inspired by Banks.
Sadly the ending was pretty average, didn't fill me with confidence that the author can keep up with herself for the sequel.

I really liked it but would rather that was it. Ambiguity is a better outcome than a dead-horse flogged for another three to eight books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Kindle Sci-Fi Daily Deal today is Pirates of the Outrigger Rift. The description sounds like it could be a fun read - has anyone here read it, and if so, would you recommend it?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Just read a book by R.M. Meluch that I picked up at a Salvation Army, what is the general opinion on him as a writer?

Fake Edit: Thanks for the earlier suggestions they look good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I read the first couple of her (that's Rebecca M. Meluch, btw) Tour of the Merrimac books. I'm not a fan. I find the whole "Roman Empire in Space" conceit to be incredibly lazy writing. I mean, yes, a lot of Space Empires in fiction are the Roman Empire with the serial numbers filed off. Asimov's Foundation books were based on Gibbons' "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", at least to start.

But Meluch's idea that the Roman Empire hid throughout American history and then emerged once humanity made it into the stars to oppose Space America? That's pretty dumb. The idea that they'd literally pick up where they left off with everyone speaking Latin, wearing Roman armor and wielding swords? That's mind-numbingly dumb. I hate Weber doing a point-for-point remake of the Napoleonic Wars but at least he had the brains to rename some poo poo. Meleuch can't even be bothered to do that. It's Space America vs Space Rome and as far as I can tell, no one else matters. :doh:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jng2058 posted:

But Meluch's idea that the Roman Empire hid throughout American history and then emerged once humanity made it into the stars to oppose Space America?

Haha, what? That's pretty amazing in the realm of weird ideas.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Haha, what? That's pretty amazing in the realm of weird ideas.

Ah, and THEN all of humanity is under attack by telepathic space bugs. Can Space Rome and Space America unite to fight off the alien menace? No one cares.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Bonus points for difficulty: it's a zombie versus jarheads book where the only survivors hole up on the British Isles. They go to Africa to fight zombies, who they constantly refer to as "Zulus". :downsrim:

I know this post is like a week old but Zulu is Z in the NATO phonetic alphabet. It's definitely a bit insensitive, but that also fits the characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah everybody knows that however, there's a reason they don't call them that basically in any other zombie movies/books/comics.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Yeah everybody knows that however, there's a reason they don't call them that basically in any other zombie movies/books/comics.

Particularly the ones set in Africa and titled 'Mogadishu of the Dead'.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Darth Walrus posted:

Particularly the ones set in Africa and titled 'Mogadishu of the Dead'.
Yeah, the first thing I thought of was that stink that was raised with that Resident Evil game set in Africa.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

jng2058 posted:

I hate Weber doing a point-for-point remake of the Napoleonic Wars but at least he had the brains to rename some poo poo.

Truly, Rob S. Pierre, Chairman of the Committee of Public Safety, is the most clever of renames. You know he loving high-fived like everyone the day he wrote that one, like YEAH! gently caress! THIS OWNS! LOOK AT HOW CLEVER THIS IS!

I'll say this, at least. Your description of Meluch at least has taught me that as ridiculous as Weber got, it can get worse! And I generally like the "[historical thing] in space" concept, but uh, do it right, geez.

Tangentially, I had a hunch that Weber's "PD" dating scheme would oh-so-coincidentally line up with the CPS taking power in 1793PD but in fairness to him, he didn't go quite that far. I wonder if he just didn't think about it. :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Psion posted:

Truly, Rob S. Pierre, Chairman of the Committee of Public Safety, is the most clever of renames. You know he loving high-fived like everyone the day he wrote that one, like YEAH! gently caress! THIS OWNS! LOOK AT HOW CLEVER THIS IS!

I'll say this, at least. Your description of Meluch at least has taught me that as ridiculous as Weber got, it can get worse! And I generally like the "[historical thing] in space" concept, but uh, do it right, geez.

Tangentially, I had a hunch that Weber's "PD" dating scheme would oh-so-coincidentally line up with the CPS taking power in 1793PD but in fairness to him, he didn't go quite that far. I wonder if he just didn't think about it. :v:

I said "some". I've called out Rob S. Pierre as bullshit myself. But at least "The Star Kingdom of Manticore" and "The People's Republic of Haven" beats "Space Romans" and "Space Americans". :doh:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I mostly liked Weber's world building. Well, compared to his character writing it's easy to look good I guess :effort:

Maybe I'd be less down on Honor if her support cast didn't feel so loving superfluous. I'm struggling to remember any of them that weren't always back home/on some other ship. Compare to David Drake's RCN novels - the protagonist is also really good at what he does, but he is surrounded with fairly interesting characters with different important skillsets, and occasionally they throw in a point about it actually being kind of lovely that he as Captain is always tempted to take over the missileer's job to micromanage/do it better. Sure these other guys weren't all particularly three-dimensional but at least it was something! And I did kinda enjoy the Hoggs/Tovera interactions :shrug:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 19, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The only supporting character Weber did anything interesting with died as the Honor-surrogate when he chickened out of killing her, so, yeah pretty much.

Drake's RCN series goes to some length to let you know Daniel is not, in fact, perfect - sure, he is really good as a fighting captain (not the only skill you need in the RCN - or the RN it takes a lot of cues from) but I can name half a dozen characters Drake made sure to let you know are relevant to that success. I mean tell me the name of the chief engineer on any of Honor's ships, and why they're relevant. How many even got names? One?

Of course when one of the running themes of the series is the strength of having a family, it's no surprise that an ensemble group is effective.

And yeah, Hogg and Tovera are pretty great.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
And then there's the part where Tovera fucks a dinosaur :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

Velius posted:

Quoting myself from three years ago, because it's still true. Mil Sci-fi is a tough genre to find decent stuff.

I know this is from a page ago but I recently found a couple books that were OK. Some of the political stuff was a little over the top (though I think it was on purpose), but if you just want a fun book with explosions they aren't too bad.

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos
This one starts off strong(ish) and gets worse the further it goes along, though it never gets out and out bad.Kid enlists to get out of the slums, ends up putting down riots in the same kind of slums he came from. Second half goes weird with aliens though.

Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay
Starts off weaker than the end of the book(but isn't bad), gets better as it goes along. Kid enlists because he botches some exit exams that determine how much money he owes the state after graduation and he can't earn a living any other way. Stereotypical boot camp scenes ensue. poo poo happens and it turns into Die Hard in space in the second half of the book. Has a really well done pirate story arc that it switches to occasionally to cover your ships with lasers quotient.

Both books are fun, but definitely not literature by any stretch of the imagination. Poor Man's Fight is (in my opinion) the better of the two just because the action ramps up as the book goes along instead of starting off strong and just kinda turning meh like Terms of Enlistment does.

• Locked thread