Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Okinawa is actually a really, really nice place to be, so go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

vibratingsheep posted:

I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, would it be a good idea for me to use headshots for dialogue, like I see in a bunch of other SS LPs? I could probably get that going relatively easily, just worried about how each of these pages has like 80 screenshots already...

I think how you're doing it right now is perfect. You tend to have the dialog close to a screen shot of the relevant scene anyways, and it's much cleaner this way.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
You have to do the Pro Wrestling event later. It is required.

And go punch a god drat bear.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Wrestle a goddamned BEAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf527KRaCEc

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Zangief that motherfucker and take on the bear.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If there's one thing anime has taught me, it's not a class trip unless the girls are in bikinis. Okinawa or bust.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
We've gotta go to Okinawa for the beaches and running at them shouting "UMI DA!". How can we call this a Japanese High School Life Megathread if we miss the all important beach episode?

Also I like how it's laid out so far but if you want to add headshots then go ahead. I don't think we're missing much besides some angry expressions (which I don't think we've triggered) and the blinking animations. If I were to suggest adding anything it'd be audio links.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Hokkaido is for the elderly and elementary kids.
So I say OKINAWA.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
If we go to Hokkaido, there is a slim chance we will find Ursa or Lone Druid in the forest. Or Maybe a Honoka in the forest. Let's fight some loving bears

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Number one on the threat-down? BEARS.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

vibratingsheep posted:

It is somewhat frightening how close this is to one of the real events in the game.

I'm so happy to hear that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't know if it was mentioned at all, but the scenario writer for this game was Koji Igarashi, better known as the guy responsible for most of the SOTN-style Castlevania games. I thought I heard it mentioned that Hideo Kojima wrote the theme song for this, though I can't find it anywhere now. I know he did work on the Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series games, though. It's almost like Konami's Superstar Secret Shame!

Also this is entertaining as heck. I tried playing this way back in highschool but had no idea what I was doing and got bombed constantly. Is it ever mentioned why Megumi's skin is fluro-pink? I originally thought it was a pallete issue on the SFC/PCE versions, but.. I guess it's a thing in the Saturn/PSX versions too?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned at all, but the scenario writer for this game was Koji Igarashi, better known as the guy responsible for most of the SOTN-style Castlevania games. I thought I heard it mentioned that Hideo Kojima wrote the theme song for this, though I can't find it anywhere now. I know he did work on the Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series games, though. It's almost like Konami's Superstar Secret Shame!

This series was a Konami flagship for a decade, I don't think anyone who worked on it was ashamed of it.

Correction, I don't think anyone who worked on 1 and 2 were ashamed of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vibratingsheep posted:

This series was a Konami flagship for a decade, I don't think anyone who worked on it was ashamed of it.

That was more of a joke than anything else, but yeah, pretty much. The series was stupid big.

Pesnapole
Dec 8, 2013
Why are we not kicking the poo poo out of some bears already?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 11: Fall 1996, Bear Territory part 1

We're approaching the halfway point, and Utter Perfection is going as smoothly as we could hope for. Goon's stats are very close to where they need to be. Girls like him. Guys like him. Koalas like him. And coming up, we have one of the highlights of high school life ahead, the class trip. Let's see how this goes!

9/1 (Sunday): Sleep
9/2: New semester starts
9/2-9/7: Concert Band
9/2: New event!

Goon: (Man, I am exhausted. I should hurry home.)
Yuina: Ah, Gunpei-kun.
Goon: What's up, Himoo-san?
Yuina: We are walking home together.

Option 1: Sure! Let's go home together.
Option 2: It'd be kinda embarrassing, so I'll pass.

For once, we're allowed to say no to once of Yuina's statements of fact. But as you can see...

Yuina: You have displeased me. Farewell.
Goon: (She was nice enough to wait around for me, and I just acted like a jerk...)

This can be bad in the long run. We have to pray that we do not disappoint her.

9/4: Say no to Yumi

There is one line that changes here:

Goon: (She seemed pretty hurt. It looks like she was waiting for me here the whole time...)

Yumi please no bombs not yet you're just a child

9/5: Event!

Goon: Oh yeah, isn't today Mikihara-san's birthday?
Goon: (Should I get her a present?)

Option 1: Yes.
Birthdays are great opportunities to delay bombs, but again, we need to be as neutral as possible. Here are Megumi's presents in order of preference, and we're gonna get her option 2:

Best present: Plush kitten
Neutral present: Plush Twinbee
Worst present: Human anatomical model

Goon: Hey, Mikihara-san!
Megumi: Y...yes? What's going on?
Goon: Happy birthday! I got you a present.
Megumi: Th...thank you! May I open it?
Goon: Of course. Do you like it?
Megumi: This is cute... I'll treasure it!
Goon: (She seemed happy enough. Not bad, I guess.)

THAT was the neutral response? drat, girl.

9/8 (Sunday): Concert Band
9/9-9/14: Class trip!

The traditional class trip in Japanese schools is a pretty big deal. It almost always happens during the second year of middle school and high school, since first year students don't know anything, while third year students are busy preparing for their entrance exams. Elementary school kids get to go on their class trip in 6th (and final) grade.

The kids spend months saving up money for travel expenses, and often schools will ask kids to start paying for the trip months in advance - especially considering the logistics of having to book travel and boarding for entire classes plus their teachers. It's most common for schoolkids to go somewhere accessible by bullet train (as long as it's not TOO close), but elite private schools can often afford to fly their classes out to places like Hawaii, San Francisco, Australia, and so on. Even within Japan, air travel is expensive, so going to places like Okinawa and Hokkaido for the class trip mean that Kirameki High School is pretty rich. That, or Rei just paid for the whole thing out of his monthly allowance.

Culturally, the high school trip is often the first extended time that these teenagers spend away from their parents, which is why teachers in both real life and fiction have to keep such a strict eye on all of them. Teenage hormones + crowded hotel rooms - parental authority = bad.

Goon: We're going on our school trip today!
Goon: Hmm? Wait, where were we going on our trip, again?

Option 1: Kyoto and Nara
Option 2: Okinawa
Option 3: Hokkaido

Since Hokkaido won the poll, we'll be going there for this trip. Conveniently, Hokkaido is the only destination that has a girl's special event associated with it; I'll show it to everyone once, and reload.

Goon: Oh yeah, we're going to Hokkaido. This is gonna rock!

Goon: And just like that, we're in Hokkaido.
Goon: (And the first day of the trip is over.)

Goon: Today's all group activities.
Goon: (The second day of the trip is over. It feels like I spent the entire day on the bus.)

Goon: Today, we have free time in Sapporo.

Yuina: Gunpei-kun. Aren't you going to say hello?
Goon: Huh? Oh, uh, yeah. Good morning, Himoo-san.
Yuina: Could it be... that you're alone?
Goon: Yeah, I am.

Yuina: It's dangerous. Very dangerous.
Yuina: I shall accompany you.

Option 1: Thanks, that'll help a lot.
Option 2: I'll be fine without you.

For this time and this time only, we'll be choosing option 1 because it triggers an event.

Yuina: Of course it will.
Yuina: Let us depart without further delay.

Goon: So this is the famous Sapporo Clock Tower...
Yuina: Soon, I will make it my very own alarm clock.
Goon: Looks like we're out of free time, let's head back.
Yuina: That is true, we should head back.
Goon: Would you be okay with spending the next day of free time with me?
Yuina: The day after tomorrow? Very well, I shall grace you with my presence. Especially since it feels like something big is about to happen...
Goon: Something big?
Yuina: It's a secret. Wait for me in the lobby when it is time.

Goon: (And so, day 3 ended.)

Goon: Today's group activity time again.
Goon: (Day 4 is over. Tomorrow is another day of free time.)

Goon: I promised Himoo-san that I'd spend today with her.
Goon: She sure is late, when's she gonna get here?
Yuina: I have come as promised. We should not waste a minute.

Goon: Ooh, it's Professor Clark! "Boys, be ambitious!" What a great saying.
Yuina: You think so? "Girls, take over" sounds better.

Translator's note: The word Yuina uses here is 野望/yabou, which also means "ambition" but is a much more sinister word than Professor Clark's parting words to his students. Clark's saying invokes 大志/taishi, which is the aspiration aspect of ambition, while Yuina's version is more like Nobunaga's Ambition. By changing two words, she completely corrupts the entire meaning of the saying, which is famous across Japan.

Goon: Whoa, a bear!

Option 1: Let's run!
Option 2: Run, I'll hold it off!

Is it a bear? -> oh boy oh boy -> WRESTLE

BEAR BATTLE

The killer brown bear attacked!

After a few rounds, the bear will always attack with Salmon Boomerang, which will always deal critical damage. It also looks hilarious.

Goon: Oh no! I'm gonna get eaten!

????: You piece of poo poo!
Game: The Hunter of Justice arrived!

Game: Legendary Gun "Jiroumaru" Shot
Game: "Jiroumaru" energy charge
Hunter: Y'shouldn't come out here! Gitcher rear end home!

Game: Victory! Thanks, Hunter of Justice!
Game: Gained 1024 experience
Game: Earned 53 Gold
Game: Picked up Bear Claws
Game: Picked up Bear Ornament

Goon: Whew, I won! I hope Himoo-san's okay.
Yuina: You appear to be injured.
Goon: I got away with just some scratches.
Yuina: This only happened because you forced me to flee.
Goon: Huh?
Yuina: I thought that this would be the perfect time to test out my new weapon in the field!
Goon: Oh... uh. Wanna head back?
Yuina: Very well, let us head back.

For most class trips, this is the end of day 5. However, Yuina has a special event if you go sightseeing with her in Hokkaido. Let's see it!

9/13: Extra event!

Goon: Hmm? Himoo-san, what're you doing here?
Yuina: I was looking for you. Gunpei-kun, we are going out to do some field work.
Goon: Huh? Where are we going?
Yuina: At the farm next to this hotel, I found the perfect subject for research.
Goon: (Research again...)

Yuina: So, this is a crop circle. I shall explain this phenomenon scientifically.
Goon: This is the first time I've ever seen one.
Yuina: Do not just stand there. Investigate! Start from the middle.

Goon: Hey, what's that? Could it be a UFO?
Yuina: There is no such thing as an unidentified flying object. I will expose it for what it is!
Goon: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

The alien attacked!

At this point, Yuina pulls out a box that says "top secret" and says
Yuina: Hold it off until I have finished my preparations.

There's no way to beat the alien alone. What we have to do is buy time until Yuina finishes building whatever it is she packed in that box. Sadly, the only way to do that is with hit points, and we don't have nearly enough for this time around, since the alien does 200-ish damage a pop and we can only heal for 37 a turn at our current Stamina level.

What's... what's she building, anyway?

Game: Fudou's party fled.

Yuina: We failed because of your incompetence.
Goon: S...sorry.
Yuina: Ah well. We will win next time for sure.
Goon: (There's... gonna be a next time?)

Goon: (And that's how day 5 ended.)

Anyway, that was a nice diversion. Time to reload and take care of business with Shiori. This loss doesn't mean anything because it didn't have anything to do with Shiori, it just... it just...

It just stings, dammit! I want a rematch! We just needed more time to build up hit points, that's all!

RELOAD COUNT: 30

8/18-9/8 (all of it): Sleep
8/21: New event!

Goon: A phone call? That's rare...
Goon: Yes, this is the Fudou residence.
Yoshio: Hey, it's Yoshio. You free right now?
Goon: Oh. It's just Yoshio. Yeah, I'm free.
Yoshio: Okay, then get your butt over to the amusement park.
Goon: Why the hell do I have to go to the amusement park with a guy like you?
Yoshio: It'll be fine! I'm waiting for you.
(click)
Goon: Geez, he's pushy. I guess I don't have a choice but to go.

Goon: Sigh... I'm here. I guess I should head inside.
Yoshio: Oh hey, you're finally here!
Goon: Yoshio, seriously, what is with you calling me out to--
Goon: Huh? Shiori and Mikihara-san are here too?

Shiori: H...hi, Gunpei-kun.

Megumi: Um, uh... h...hi, Fudou-san.

Yoshio: Now aren't you glad you came? Thank me later.
Yoshio: Okay, now that we're all here, let's go ride the ferris wheel!

The double date event happens randomly in the summer, and Yoshio will invite two random girls to come to the park. For the ferris wheel, the roller coaster, and the haunted house, we can take one of the girls to each of them. For each time we pick a girl, that girl's affection will go up and the other girl will feel hurt. Tripling up on one girl is a great way to build affection without losing any Sunday/holiady actions, but it also brings the other girl dangerously close to bomb territory. It's actually a pretty inconvenient event, and I'm glad it's happening on a run I intend to reload anyway.

Yoshio: Which girl do you want to ride with?

Option 1: I'll take Shiori.
Option 2: I'll take Mikihara-san.

Shiori: Let's ride.
Shiori: That was a nice view, wasn't it?

In another universe, we have already answered that question. Next is the roller coaster.

Yoshio: Which girl do you want to ride with?

We've seen this before too, so let's skip to the next part.

Yoshio: Okay, the haunted house is next.
Yoshio: Who do you want to take inside?

Shiori: I'm a little scared already, but let's get inside.
Shiori: That was a little scary, don't you think?

Yoshio: Are we done already? Well, I guess it's time to head home.
Shiori: Gunpei-kun, today was a lot of fun. Thanks, and bye!
Megumi: Fudou-san... today was... um... nice. Bye...

Yoshio: I think she might like you.
Goon: (What?! Is he talking about Shiori?)
Goon: You... you might be right. Anyway, we should go.

And that ends Diversion Theater. Back to building HP for Hokkaido! Fast-forward to:

9/11 (Class Trip Day 3)

Shiori: Hey, Goon!
Goon: Oh, hey Shiori.

Oh. Great. Because we just powered through three successful dates with Shiori, she's now calling us by our nickname. That would be great, if this were a real run. Dammit, game!

Shiori: Are you about to head out?
Goon: Yeah, I was just about to.
Shiori: Can... I come with you?

Option 1: Yeah, let's go.
Option 2: No.

It hurts my soul to give up progress like this, since it shows that Shiori likes us enough to invite us out ahead of all the other girls... but the alien awaits! Option 2 it is.

Shiori: Oh... Sorry for asking.
Goon: Maybe I was too cold just now.
Goon: Well, I should get going.

:bang: Troll-rear end game

Option 1: Should I invite a girl to come with me?
Option 2: Should I head out alone?

Option 1 lets us choose from a list of girls we know (except Yumi, who isn't on the class trip) and invite them to go sightseeing. We're going to choose Yuina and get back to surfing with the alien.

Goon: Ooh, just the person I was looking for.
Goon: Himoo-san!
Yuina: Ah, Gunpei-kun. What did you want?
Goon: Yeah. Do you want to come with me today?
Yuina: I was doing research, but I ran out of materials.
Goon: Huh? Research?
Yuina: I can grace you with my presence while I gather more materials.
Goon: What do you mean by materials, anyway...?
Yuina: Do not worry about petty things. We are leaving now.

Fast-forwarding again, to...

Option 1: Let's run from the bear!

Goon: Huff, puff... that was dangerous. Looks like we managed to outrun it.
Yuina: Hmph, why did we need to flee? You just grabbed me and ran.
Goon: Why? Because it was dangerous...!
Yuina: I thought that this would be the perfect time to test out my new weapon in the field!
Goon: New weapon?
Yuina: Ah well. There may be another opportunity for a field test.

Fast-forward again, to...

Yuina: There is no such thing as an unidentified flying object. I will expose it for what it is!
Goon: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

This time, we have more health! It takes about two minutes of being Yuina's meat shield before...

...her completed robot fires its laser beam.

The alien flees, and the robot shorts out.

Yuina: It appears there was a problem with my power calculations.

Goon: I wonder what that was?
Yuina: It was nothing special. It was ten thousand light-years too early to challenge me.
Goon: Light-years measure distance.

THANK YOU

Yuina: L...let's get out of here.
Goon: (There's... a chance that we just saved the world.)

It's worth noting that this is the first time in the entire game that Yuina has stuttered.

Holy crap, it's 3 AM and I have work in 5 hours. I'll have to cut this one short and continue on the True Path of Utter Perfection next time!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:stonk:

gently caress this path or that path, just give Yuina her own game.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Wow, you can really tell who's the staff favorite.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sincx posted:

Wow, you can really tell who's the staff favorite.

The funny thing is, Yuina isn't even close to being the most popular character. Shiori and Saki are #1 and #2 by a mile, and I think Miharu takes third. The side stories/drama series focus on Saki, Ayako, and Shiori - the Ayako game actually should've been a Miharu game based a poll Konami held in Famitsu, but Miharu's voice actress was busy with the True Love Story series from Enterbrain.

Side note: Could anyone take my raw video and create an animated gif of Yuina building the robot? It's hilarious.

e: Cyxx just linked me Gooncam. I'll take a shot at using it tonight.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 16, 2013

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
:suspense:

I will blame every single one of you fuckers for not picking her! :argh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well.

That was weird.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We better vote to do Yuina's route. Shiori could not be more boring.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Since the thread seems to be in love with Yuina, that seems like the kind of thing someone might want to use as an avatar.

Not my best work, but it's past midnight here. :effort: If someone else wants to do a better job of cropping it, be my guest.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!

vibratingsheep posted:

Side note: Could anyone take my raw video and create an animated gif of Yuina building the robot? It's hilarious.

If you want me to give it a try, I could try to gif it. ^^ Just need the footage. :D

Also, enjoying this LP, I so do love simulation games no matter the type. Also love the added notes about Japan and the culture, I always seem to learn something new.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I just spent an hour and a half dicking with gooncam and 3 minutes of footage... and this is the result:

I... I should get back to playing the game now.

(If anyone would like to improve on this, let me know and I can send you the footage - I still owe you guys an animated gif of the concert band, too)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 18, 2013

Pesnapole
Dec 8, 2013
That fish isn't even being thrown; it just launches itself from the bear's hand. Beautiful stuff.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

vibratingsheep posted:

(If anyone would like to improve on this, let me know and I can send you the footage - I still owe you guys an animated gif of the concert band, too)
I think you did pretty darn well, but yeah, I'm still up for handling turning the concert into a tindeck and a gif if you still feel like you're lacking in time.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 12: Fall 1996, Bear territory part 2

So it turns out that chapter 11 actually only covers one week of game time due to the... strange circumstances involved. Let's get back to it!

RELOAD COUNT: 31

9/9-9/14: Class trip

Fast-forwarding to day 3...

9/11: Free time

Goon: Today, we have free time in Sapporo.

Yuina: Gunpei-kun. Aren't you going to say hello?
Goon: Huh? Oh, uh, yeah. Good morning, Himoo-san.
Yuina: Could it be... that you're alone?
Goon: Yeah, I am.

Yuina: It's dangerous. Very dangerous.
Yuina: I shall accompany you.

Option 1: Thanks, that'll help a lot.
Option 2: I'll be fine without you.

This time, we're choosing Option 2. It's less dangerous that way.

Yuina: You will die... you will definitely die. Farewell.
Goon: ......
Goon: Anyway, I should head out.

Option 1: Should I invite a girl to come with me?
Option 2: Should I head out alone?

Time to invite Shiori! Option 1 and Shiori it is.

Goon: Ooh, just the person I was looking for.
Goon: Shiori.
Shiori: Ah, Goon.

That's good, at least, in this run she's still affectionate to call us by our nickname.

Goon: Want to head out with me today?
Shiori: Huh? Oh, yes. Happily...
Goon: Then what're we waiting for?
Shiori: J,just wait a second, I need to go get ready.

Shiori: I'm sorry it took so long. Let's go.

Dammit woman, you look exactly the same! What were you getting ready for? Bear fighting?

Goon: So this is the famous Sapporo Clock Tower...
Shiori: I bet it's even more gorgeous when the lilacs are in bloom.
Goon: Looks like we're out of free time, let's head back.
Shiori: Yes, it's getting late.
Goon: Would you be okay with spending the next day of free time with me?
Shiori: Yes, that's fine. Let's meet up in the hotel lobby.
Goon: (And so, day 3 ended.)

9/13: Day 5 - free time

Goon: Today's another day of free time. I promised to head out with Shiori...
Goon: She sure is late, when's she gonna get here?

Shiori: Sorry I'm late. Let's head out.

Goon: Ooh, it's Professor Clark! "Boys, be ambitious!" What a great saying.
Shiori: It really is. I think it's wonderful to dream big.
Goon: Look out! A bear!
Option 2: Run! I'll hold it off!

This is the same as before.

Goon: Whew, I won. I hope Shiori's okay.

Shiori: Is everything okay? Are you hurt?
Goon: Yeah, I got away with just some scrapes.
Shiori: Thank goodness. I was really worried... but thank you.
Goon: You're making me blush. Should we head back?
Shiori: Yeah, we should.
Goon: (And that's how day 5 ended.)

Goon: I'm so tired... but we're finally back home. The class trip is over.
Goon: That was a really memorable trip, though.

9/15 (Sunday): Call Yumi

We have pretty much ignored Yumi for 6 months, so it's about time to reset the timer on her bomb. Not defuse it, that's pretty much impossible...

Yumi: Yes, this is the Saotome residence.
Goon: Hi, this is Fudou Gunpei.
Yumi: Fudou-san? Do you need something from Yumi?
Goon: Want to go to the game center on 10/13?
Yumi: Yeah, sure!
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the game center on the 13th.
Yumi: Got it. Cross your heart, hope to die, stick a needle in your eye!
Goon: Hahaha... cross my heart. Say hi to Yoshio for me!
(click)

Goon: Alright! I can't wait for the 13th.

That is because you are a fool, Goon. A foolish fool.

9/16-9/21: Concert Band
9/22 (Sunday): Preen
9/23 (Holiday): Preen
9/24-9/28: Concert Band
9/29 (Sunday): Sleep
9/30-10/5: Concert Band
10/1: Say no to Yuina
10/6 (Sunday): Exercise
10/7-10/9, 10/11: Forced into Concert Band to prepare for the Culture Festival
10/10 (Holiday): Sleep
10/12: Culture festival!

Goon: Today's the Culture Festival.
Goon: The Concert Band will be doing a charumera concert in the gym. I should hurry and get ready.

The charumera is... interesting in Japanese culture. It's a double-reeded woodwind that is sometimes used in kabuki performances, but is most commonly associated with ramen. Apparently, the proprietors of ramen carts used to play them to alert the neighborhood that they were there, much like the jingles used by ice cream trucks. The sound has become so linked to ramen that a lot of ramen shops still play the music outside their doors.

Proof I'm not making this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dgsjsg_LI

Shiori: Don't you think this year's song is kinda weird?
Goon: A concert band arrangement of a charumela song? Yeah, it's pretty funny.
Shiori: I wonder who wrote this?
Goon: I don't know, we just got the sheet music and practiced it.
Shiori: It looks like we're going on stage soon. Let's do our best, okay?

As far as two decades of fandom can tell, the reason that this weird-rear end concert exists is because of Ayako. She goes to the Concert Band if Shiori kicks her out of the Art Club, and she thinks it's funny. Ayako is a special girl.

I'll send this one over to get giffed and tindecked as well. Thanks!

Okay, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting that to be the big finish. Shiori doesn't look happy to be doing this. Or maybe she's fine and it's too low-res to tell.

Shiori: It seemed like everyone in the audience had fun.
Goon: Good, I'm glad our hard work paid off.
Shiori: It'll be nice if next year goes this well, too.
Goon: Yeah.
Goon: (And that's how the Culture Festival ended.)

10/13: Date with Jaws... I mean Yumi

Goon: (Today's my date with Yumi-chan.)
Goon: (I should go wait for her in front of the game center.)

Oh god Yumi why are you blushing can I go home now please I don't feel comfortable anymore
Goon: Did I keep you waiting?
Yumi: Uh-uh. Yumi just got here too.
Goon: I'm glad I wasn't late.
Yumi: Let's go, let's go!
Goon: Yeah, let's head inside.

Option 1: Let's go to the game corner.
Option 2: Let's go to the medal corner.

Both of these are fine with Yumi, so let's just be lazy and pick 1.

Yumi: Yumi likes arcades, even though she's a girl.

Option 1: I don't really mind.
Option 2: Will you turn into a delinquent?
Option 3: A lot more girls are coming to these places lately.

I was a fool. A foolish fool. And I chose 1, thinking that it was more neutral than 3.

Yumi: Yumi is really happy that you said that.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

NO. NO WHY. YUMI PLEEEEEEASE

Yumi: Today was super duper fun. Invite Yumi out again, okay?
Goon: Sure, I'll call you soon.
Yumi: Fudou-san, let's walk home together.
Goon: Let's go home.

Yumi no please go away I was trying to say something noncommital why do you have to be like this god Yumi why :bang:

10/14-10/19: Concert Band
10/19: New version of the perfect week event!

Shiori: You played really well today.
Goon: Thanks.
Goon: (Alright! I'm really motivated now.)

10/20 (Sunday): Exercise
10/21-10/26: Concert Band
10/21: Say no to Megumi

Megumi gets this line:
Goon: (She seemed pretty hurt. It looks like she was waiting for me here the whole time...)

This line is pretty much your Bomb Threat Level. If Goon says "I acted pretty rude" then you're fine. If Goon says "She seemed pretty hurt" then you're in the yellow. If Goon says "She's really hurt. I'm a jackass." then you're in orange threat level. And if the girl looks at Goon, says nothing, and goes home, then you're in red threat level. It gets bad. We'll see it soon enough.

10/24: Shiori invitation to a date on the 27th

Shiori: Hey, are you free this Sunday?
Goon: Option 1: I'm free, what's up?
Shiori: If that's the case, do you want to go to the aquarium with me?
Goon: Option 1: That's fine. Let's go.
Shiori: Really? Then, um...
Goon: Want to meet up in front of the aquarium?
Shiori: Yes, that's fine. Don't forget, okay?
Goon: (This Sunday. I have to make sure I don't forget.)

This is where taking copious notes (and, in some cases, reloading without remorse) pays off - girls can invite Goon out on Sundays where he's already scheduled for a date, and being doubled booked is REALLY BAD. Like, insta-bomb bad.

10/26: Event with Rei, for some reason

Even though there were plenty of successes in the week, we get this:

Goon: (Sigh... something's just not right with me today.)
Rei: How pointless... Well, do your best, I suppose.
Goon: ......
Goon: (Ugh, I just don't care anymore.)

10/27: Date with Shiori

Goon: (Today's my date with Shiori.)
Goon: (I should go meet her in front of the aquarium.)

Goon: Were you waiting long?
Shiori: No, I just got here myself.
Goon: Phew, glad I wasn't late.
Shiori: Let's head in.
Goon: Yeah, let's go.

Shiori: The dolphin show was pretty good, don't you think?

Option 1: Aren't their teeth scary?
Option 2: Dolphins are mammals.
Option 3: Dolphins are pretty smart, huh.

Dolphins are actually pretty scary, but that's beside the point. Let's go with #3.

Shiori: That's true. I really admire them.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

Shiori: Thanks for coming out with me today.
Goon: I'll do it any time.
Shiori: Let's head home, Goon.

At this point, I'd like to point out that Goon is Big Man on Campus now. While he may not be High School Superman quite yet, it's pretty close. He's handsome, he has the highest grades in class, he stands out from the crowd during PE (not that you can tell from the sports festival...), and he can play the trumpet like a m-fing riot. The mask is slipping off slowly but surely, and any attempts to remain incognito are now doomed to failure.

This means that the next part of the game is going to be a huge minefield. The Ijuuin Christmas party looms ahead as well, and we have to figure out a way to hold off Megumi and Yumi, who are rapidly becoming problems.

This could get really ugly, really fast.

Next time: We are young, heartache to heartache we stand. Also: reloading. LOTS of reloading.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2013

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Your link to charumera is missing a / in the closing URL tag, and there's a "SCREENSHOT HERE" instead of a screenshot at the end.

Does Shiori have any interesting events coming up soon? It seems like dating her requires a lot of effort and not much reward. She doesn't even build a robot to fight off an alien invasion or anything. :rolleyes:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Striking Yak posted:

Your link to charumera is missing a / in the closing URL tag, and there's a "SCREENSHOT HERE" instead of a screenshot at the end.

Does Shiori have any interesting events coming up soon? It seems like dating her requires a lot of effort and not much reward. She doesn't even build a robot to fight off an alien invasion or anything. :rolleyes:

Good ol' 2 AM posting! I've fixed those mistakes.

Shiori has like 7 more events that we need to get to, and they'll basically all come in year 3 because they require maximum affection.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Huh. I wonder if that little charumera ditty in the video you linked to for proof has a name, since I've heard something very similar used by some of the street vendors here in Mexico. I'm guessing it's a different (or longer) tune that plays in-game for the concert though, for it to have a finish that involves what kind of look like sitting versions of sentai poses.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

vibratingsheep posted:

The charumera is... interesting in Japanese culture. It's a double-reeded woodwind that is sometimes used in kabuki performances, but is most commonly associated with ramen. Apparently, the proprietors of ramen carts used to play them to alert the neighborhood that they were there, much like the jingles used by ice cream trucks. The sound has become so linked to ramen that a lot of ramen shops still play the music outside their doors.

Proof I'm not making this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dgsjsg_LI

Now I have an image in my head of a little old man selling noodles to the tune of "Turkey in the Straw" or "The Entertainer." Too bad I don't live somewhere with mobile savory food sellers...

Anyhow, my interest, she is piqued. Looking forward to see how you handle the inevitable heartbreak. Or not, as the case mAY BE.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
vibratingsheep - is it ever possible to come back from a bomb? As my brother who's a huge galge fan, said it was but only under certain circumstances. I am curious as to if he was pulling my leg or not.

Good luck with Shiori.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Galick posted:

:suspense:

I will blame every single one of you fuckers for not picking her! :argh:

I love this post. I played this game through a few times over a decade ago and got the endings for Yuina, Mira, and I think Nozomi before I got tired of the micromanagement. Yuina was always my favorite and seeing the thread react this way warms the video game region of my heart.

Following a Shiori run is pretty interesting to see how much you have to minmax and take advantage of game mechanics. Heaven knows I was never willing to put in the time to pursue that pile of bland.

MonotoneMorgan posted:

vibratingsheep - is it ever possible to come back from a bomb? As my brother who's a huge galge fan, said it was but only under certain circumstances. I am curious as to if he was pulling my leg or not.

Good luck with Shiori.

I am not vibratingsheep, but it's certainly possible to come back from a bomb. I still won a (singular) game where a bomb went off in Year 3, actually. Here's what you need:

1) Time to rebuild. Don't let it happen too close to the end of the game. You need time to rebuild affection with your target girl and it can take a while because of other girls sliding closer to bomb status themselves.
2) Established friendship. Keeping the girls you're not pursuing in a platonic, non-angry state will help prevent them from wanting to set off a second bomb in the aftermath. I had a save file ruined because I got complacent and let a few girls get too upset with me, I saved at the wrong time, and Yumi triggered a bomb cascade. Yumi is the worst
3) Open weekends. You're in full-on damage control mode so you'll need to set aside whatever it is you're up to so the situation can stabilize. Hope you didn't already make plans!
4) Not Shiori. The restrictions on keeping up with her demands and triggers while boosting and maintaining every positive stat means a single bomb going off effectively ends the viability of the run. The Year 3 bomb I recovered from? It was my Mira run. When it comes to endgame demands she's pretty easy to please. Shiori? Not so much.

Speaking of bombs I never really took them to be rumors or hatefulness. I always assumed it was the girl being angry about how you ignore her so she vents to the girls she knows about you. And every girl in the game knows each other. But then I didn't and don't speak Japanese so maybe that's my personal interpretation coming in too strong :v:

Gotta Wear Shades fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 19, 2013

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Good luck with Shiori.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I am not vibratingsheep, but it's certainly possible to come back from a bomb. I still won a (singular) game where a bomb went off in Year 3, actually. Here's what you need:

Pretty much. The other way to get bombed and not care is to go after one of the secret characters, as they are not bound by the usual affection rating rules and thus not affected by bombs.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 13: The smell of napalm in the morning

The pursuit of Utter Perfection has been costly. On a normal Shiori route, you have to dodge as many people as possible in order to lie low for a few years and avoid bombings - this means no going to the Ijuuin Christmas party and no standing out enough for Megumi to be interested. However, that doesn't suit the life of a High School Superman, and we have to make do with what we have. And that means not only going to the Christmas party again, but meeting a 5th girl in order to meet someone who is not Megumi at the Christmas party.

Here beginneth The Struggle(tm). We must survive it for 17 more months.

10/28-11/2: Sleep
10/29: Event!

Yuina: Gunpei-kun.
Goon: Himoo-san. What's up?
Yuina: You are free this upcoming Sunday, yes?

Option 1: Yeah, I'm free. Why do you ask?
Option 2: Sucks to be you, THIS guy has plans that day.

Well, that's convenient. Let's go with 1 and save ourselves a Sunday in the future. Also, I think the goons will riot if I say no to Yuina too often.

Yuina: Then we are going to the botanical garden.

Option 1: That's fine. Let's go.
Option 2: Nah, I'll pass.

Choosing 1 here.

Yuina: Of course.
Goon: Should we meet in front of the garden?
Yuina: That is acceptable. If you forget, you must be prepared for the consequences.
Goon: (This Sunday, eh? I have to make sure I don't forget.)

10/29: Another event!

Goon: (There seems to be some weird gossip circulating around the girls lately...)

This is our bomb early warning system! This is nearly guaranteed to be Megumi or Yumi, and was triggered by Yuina asking us out. Gotta find out who it is and defuse that bomb ASAP!

11/2: Say no to Megumi

Goon: (I hurt her pretty badly... I'm such an idiot.)

Yep. It's Megumi.

11/3 (Sunday): Date with Yuina

Goon: (Today's my date with Himoo-san. I should go meet her in front of the botanical garden.)

Yuina: I have not been waiting very long. You are right on time.
Goon: I'm glad I wasn't late.
Yuina: We are heading inside now.
Goon: Yeah, let's head in.

Yuina: I would like to grow at least this much flora for research purposes.

Option 1: What kind of research would you use it for?
Option 2: Could we just enjoy the pretty flowers?
Option 3: Can you eat all of this?

Looks like there's no neutral response, just two bad ones and a good one. Oh well. 1 it is.

Yuina: That is top secret. I have so many things I want to do, I have a hard time deciding.

Yuina: That was fun, yes?
Goon: Yeah, it was really fun.
Yuina: We should both head home, Gunpei-kun.

11/4 (Holiday): Call Yoshio

We just saved, so now we have to make sure!

Goon: I'd like to know what the girls think of me.
Yoshio: What they think of you, eh? Gimme a second.
Yoshio: What the girls think of you is...

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Yoshio: Something like this.

There it is, the first bomb of this run! To defuse a bomb, we'll need to invite her out on a date and not have it suck.

By the way, Yuina appears to be in love with Goon. This is inconvenient at best.

11/5-11/10: Concert Band
11/5: New event!

Goon: (Man, I am exhausted. I should hurry home.)
Goon: (Oh hey, that's Mikihara-san over there.)
Goon: Hey, Mikihara-san!

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Megumi: ......
Goon: Hmm? That's weird, she just ran off without saying anything.
Goon: (Maybe I hurt Mikihara-san at some point?)

REE REE REE REE REE REE

11/7: Tell Yuina we're busy on Sunday

Yuina: You have displeased me. Farewell.
Goon: (Maybe I was a little too cold there)

I'm so sorry but we need this Sunday really badly

11/10 (Sunday): Call Megumi

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Megumi: Yes, this is the Mikihara residence.
Goon: Hi, this is Fudou Gunpei...
Megumi: (gasp)
Goon: Hello? Is something wrong?
Megumi: I'm... I'm sorry! What might you calling about?
Goon: Want to go to the museum on 12/1?
Megumi: ...
Goon: What's wrong?
Megumi: I'm sorry... I have to be somewhere that day.

RELOAD COUNT: 32

10/28-11/2: Concert Band
10/29: Meet Miharu again
This is the same the first time we met Miharu pre-reload, back in Chapter 5.
11/3 (Sunday): Call Megumi

Goon: Want to go to the shopping district with me on 12/1?
Megumi: What? Y...Yes, gladly!
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the shopping district on that day.
Megumi: .....
Goon: What's that? I couldn't hear you.
Megumi: Y...yes, we'll meet there!
Goon: Okay, don't forget.
(click)
Goon: Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 1st.

Note that the bomb doesn't really go away until the day of the date. This prevents scumbag tactics like calling up someone and using that day for something else anyway. It also makes the game more difficult in general.

11/4 (Holiday): Sleep
11/5-11/9: Sleep
11/7: Say no to Yuina again
Yuina's disappointment leads to Yellow Threat Level assessment by Goon
11/8: Say no to Megumi again
Megumi's disappointment leads to Yellow Threat Level assessment by Goon, which is at least an improvement
11/10 (Sunday): Preen
11/11-11/16: Concert Band
11/11: Say no to Megumi AGAIN.
Goon gives Orange threat level here.

11/11: Bomb Warning
Goon: (There seems to be some weird gossip circulating around the girls lately...)

11/17 (Sunday): Read Memorial Spot, then Sleep

Memorial Spot December/January/February
The Planetarium has opened!

Movie: Melody of Love (Romance) (Melody, or S.W.A.L.K.
Concert: Bees (New Music) (No, not the bees, this is legendary rock duo B'z, who have like a gazillion #1 singles in Japan.)
Stadium: December - nothing
January - Pro Wrestling
February - Nothing
Events: Look forward to our next issue!

Goon: (A planetarium, eh?)

11/18-11/22: Practice Art

This is a future-proofing measure, to meet Ayako and try to avoid Megumi at the Christmas Party. However...

Shiori what are you doing here :bang:

11/18: New event!

I guess that answers that question.

Goon: (Man, I'm exhausted. I should hurry home.)
Shiori: Ah, Goon.
Goon: Shiori? What's up?
Shiori: Our houses are right next to each other and all, so I thought that it might be nice to walk home together once in a while...

Option 1: Sure! Let's go home together.
Option 2: It'd be kinda embarrassing, so I'll pass.

The only right choice is 1! That totally hasn't come back to bite us in the rear end before!

Goon: (Shiori and I had fun walking home together.)

11/23 (Holiday): Exercise
11/24 (Sunday): Exercise
11/25-11/30: Exercise

Since we didn't meet Ayako, we might as well meet Yukari, right?

Oh. I guess Shiori's there for the cock block again.

11/25: New event!

Goon: (Man, today was another exhausting day.)
Yukari: Oh nooo, look oooou--
Goon: Huh? (THWACK)

Yukari: Are you alright?
Goon: Oww...
Yukari: Umm... are you perhaps injured?
Goon: Yeah, seems like I survived somehow.
Yukari: I beg your forgiveness. But you appear to be okay.
Goon: I'm not okay. I'll forgive you if you tell me your name, though.
Yukari: Hehehe. I am known as Koshiki Yukari. What is your name?
Goon: I'm Fudou Gunpei.
Yukari: I need to return to my club soon, so I must beg your pardon.
Goon: (That tennis ball hurt, but I guess it's a fair trade for meeting Koshiki-san...)

Translator's note: Here is the designated Yamato Nadeshiko of the game! Koshiki Yukari's last name roughly translates to "old-school," and she speaks very formally. It's really hard to render in English without getting into thees and thous, which are a little too outdated. She also speaks really slowly.

11/26: Say no to Yumi
Goon gives the green threat level indicator here. Good.

12/1 (Sunday): Date with Megumi

Goon: (Today's my date with Megumi. I should go meet up with her in front of the shopping district.)

I feel like this is a good time to mention that Megumi's nickname in some corners of fandom is "Metto-chan", which is short for "Helmet-chan". I guess it's a good thing that she's helmeted, in case she falls over - it's not like she'll be able to catch herself with her hands stuck to her jaw like that...

Megumi: N, no...
Megumi: So where should we go?

Option 2, the accessories shop, should be pretty safe.

Megumi: O, okay! Let's go.

Megumi: Um... do you think this is cute?

Option 1: Yeah, it really suits you.
Option 2: I don't think so at all.
Option 3: But that one's pretty cute too.

Option 3 seems like the most neutral, so let's go with that one

Megumi: You're right... it really is cute...

Goon: Did you have fun?
Megumi: Um... I had a lot of fun.
Goon: Can I invite you out again some time?
Megumi: Y, yes...
Goon: Then I'll call you some time soon.
Megumi: Fudou-kun... um... could we...
Goon: Could we walk home together?
Megumi: Y, yes...

REE REE REE REE REE REE

12/2-12/7: Concert Band
12/7: Praised by Shiori

Shiori: Let's practice hard today, too.
Goon: I will.
Goon: (Alright, I'm really motivated now.)

12/8: Call Yoshio

Success! No bombs, and Yuina appears to have fallen out of love. Yumi and Megumi are still problems, but... wait, why is Yukari at the smiley stage too? Oh well, let's ask for her profile.

Koshiki Yukari
Birthday: June 13th
Sign: Gemini
Blood type: B
Measurements: 81-60-84 (32-24-33)
Club: Tennis
Notes: Doesn't like any sports other than tennis.
Seems to hate loud things.

At this point, I realized that I'd made a minor mistake and had wasted a week on art without meeting Ayako, since Concert Band already turbo-charges that stat. Also, meeting Yukari doesn't free up any actions - choosing to exercise will still meet Nozomi and, eventually, Saki.

RELOAD COUNT: 33

At this point, I just wanted to see if it was still possible to meet Ayako.

12/2-12/7: Practice art
12/3: Say no to Yumi
Yumi threat level: Yellow
12/7: New event!

Goon: Art sets the heart at ease.
Goon: (Man, that was a cool line.)

Ayako: Suteki! What a wonderful piece.

Translator's note: I've decided to pull out an old subtitler's convention for when Japanese people speak partially in English - swapping the English and Japanese. In this case, she uses the English word "Beautiful!"

Goon: Oh, uh, thanks.
Ayako: If you're this good, why haven't you joined the art club yet?
Goon: It's good for my health to draw every once in a while, that's all.
Ayako: Oh yeah? Every once in a while, for your health...
Goon: Yeah, it activates the pressure points in the hand like this, and... wait, no, that's not it at all.
Ayako: Hahahaha... I'm Katagiri Ayako. And you are...?
Goon: Oh, I'm Fudou Gunpei.
Ayako: If you ever want to take me up on my offer, come to the art club. You're always welcome.
Goon: If I ever feel like it, I will.
Ayako: Okay, gotta go. See you later!
Goon: She's pretty interesting...

Recon mission complete. It's possible! Time to swap Yukari out for Ayako in the next game. But first...

12/8 (Sunday): Call Yoshio

Katagiri Ayako
Birthday: September 30th
Sign: Libra
Blood type: B
Measurements: 86-59-86 (34-23-34)
Club: Art
Notes: Likes grotesque art and pop music.
Doesn't like quiet places.

RELOAD COUNT: 34

Oh god my save games were on 12/1 (after Yukari) and 10/27. SUNOVA

10/27-11/2: Sleep
10/29: Go home with Shiori
10/29: Bomb warning

Goon: (There seems to be some weird gossip making its way around the girls lately...)

10/31: New event!

Goon: (Mm, it sure feels nice up here on the roof.)
Goon: (Hmm? Isn't that Himoo-san over there?)

Looks like we've stumbled onto one of Yuina's automatic events - if her affection is high enough, it'll just happen after school one day.

Yuina: Sigh...
Goon: What's with the long face, Himoo-san?

Yuina: Ah? Oh, Gunpei-kun. It appears you have caught me at my worst.
Goon: What's wrong? You're not acting like yourself, Himoo-san.
Yuina: I will tell you this precisely because I am not acting like myself... The truth is, I am in a slump.
Goon: What do you mean, a slump?
Yuina: No matter what I do, I cannot come up with any good ideas.
Goon: If you don't mind, I could help you think some up...

Yuina: Thank you. But for the moment, I want to work through it myself.
Goon: Yeah? Then I'll leave you to it. I hope you think up some good ideas soon.
Yuina: Yes. I will try to calm down and think it over.
Goon: (I wonder if she's okay... she's mumbling something to herself over there.)
Yuina: Ahhhh, I still cannot think of any good ideas for my ultimate weapon.
Goon: ...
Goon: (What's that girl thinking?)

11/3 (Sunday): Call Megumi

Goon: Want to go to the shopping district on 11/23?
Megumi: What? Y...Yes, gladly!
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the shopping district that day.
Megumi: .....
Goon: What's that? I couldn't hear you.
Megumi: Y...yes, we'll meet there!
Goon: Okay, don't forget.
(click)
Goon: Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 23rd.

This is a better schedule overall, since it gives more room for girls to ask Goon out on Sundays (they don't seem to ask for holiday time, for some reason).

11/4 (Holiday): Call Yoshio for a status update

Better. Sorry, Yuina.

11/5-11/9: Practice Art
11/6: Meet Ayako
Same event as above.

11/8: Say no to Megumi
Megumi bomb threat level: orange

11/10 (Sunday): Preen
11/11-11/16: Concert Band
11/13: Say no to Yuina
Yuina bomb threat level: yellow
11/15: New event!

No Ayako you were supposed to be a safety valve why you gotta do us like this

Ayako: Ah, Fudou-kun.
Goon: What's up, Katagiri-san?
Ayako: I figured it'd be nice to walk home together once in a while.

Option 2. Too soon, Ayako, too soon.

Ayako: Oh? That's too bad. Bye...
Ayako bomb threat level: green

11/16: Praised by Shiori
11/17 (Sunday): Call Yoshio for status + Ayako's info

As you can see, the act of inviting a girl out only takes off so much heat. To take that bomb away requires that date on 11/23.

11/18-11/22: Concert Band
11/19: Say no to Yumi
Yumi bomb threat level: Green
11/23 (Holiday): Date with Megumi

This date is exactly the same as the date above, but with Megumi's fall outfit instead of her winter one. Observe:

11/24 (Sunday): Sleep
11/25-11/30: Concert band
12/1 (Sunday): Call Shiori

We can't just be caught treading water. These Shiori events won't trigger themselves! Well, some of them will, but that's beside the point. With a romance playing at the theater, it's a perfect time to invite her to the--

Wait why is there no option to go to the theater? Oh crap, I forgot to read Memorial Spot in this save game so the date spot's not unlocked! Nnnnooooooooooo

RELOAD COUNT: 35

11/25-11/30: Concert Band
12/1 (Sunday): Read Memorial Spot! Then call Shiori

Goon: Want to go to the movies with me on 12/15?
Shiori: Let me check... yes, that's fine.
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the theater on that day.
Shiori: Yes, let's. Don't forget, okay?
Goon: No way will I forget. Okay, talk to you later.
(click)
Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 15th.

12/2-12/6: Sleep
12/3: Say no to Yumi
Yumi bomb threat level: green
12/7: Go home with Shiori
12/8 (Sunday): Call Shiori

Vacation time = date Shiori time

Goon: Want to go skiing on 12/29?
Shiori: Let me check... yes, that's fine.
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the slopes that day.
Shiori: Yes, let's. Don't forget, okay?
Goon: No way will I forget. Okay, talk to you later.
(click)
Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 29th.

12/9-12/14: Midterms

Goon: (Yes! I'm the top score! I'm the Emperor of Tests!)

12/15 (Sunday): Date with Shiori

Shiori: No, I just got here myself.
Shiori: The curtain's going up, we should go in and sit down.
Shiori: There are some open seats over there. Let's sit.

Goon: (Melody of Love is a romance about the deep love between a boy and a girl.)

As usual, the date response comes down to figuring out if the girl liked the movie or not. Shiori loves romances, as before, so...

Goon: Option 1: Wasn't that movie fun?
Shiori: Yes, it was wonderful. I love these movies.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)
Shiori: Today was a lot of fun. We should do this again some time, okay?
Goon: Definitely. I'll call you again soon.
Shiori: Let's walk home together, Goon.

12/16-12/21: Concert Band
12/21: Go home with Shiori

This is the same as usual, except for this part:

Shiori: Oh yeah, winter vacation is coming up. Do you have any plans?

Yes, Shiori, we're going skiing.

Goon: Hmm? No, not really. What about you, Shiori?

Wait, weren't we going skiing? Go back to the part where we were talking about going skiing.

Shiori: I was thinking that I might go skiing some time.

Because we invited you, right? Say something, Goon!

Goon: Skiing, eh? That might be nice...

OF COURSE IT MIGHT BE NICE IT WAS OUR IDEA IN THE FIRST PLACE

12/21: Bomb warning event

Going home with Shiori was a mistake. Not just because the script writers forgot to consider the case where you go home with Shiori and already have plans to go skiing with her for winter vacation. But also because it pushed someone over the edge into Bomberhood. We'll find out who it is next time (dun dun DUNNNNNN), but the candidates are Yuina and Yumi, since Megumi's bomb was cleared very recently,

12/22 (Sunday): Preen

The Ijuuin Christmas party is coming up very soon, and we need to have 100 Looks in order to get in this year! Rei wasn't kidding when he said that he was going to force the man at the gate to be more strict...

Next time: All I Want For Christmas Electric Boogaloo

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This game's habit of providing teenage girls' measurements worries me. It's creepy. And weird. And creepy. I don't even know what to infer from them. I'm not a physician. I'm not a tailor. I don't have any business knowing about that poo poo.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Megumi's hands on cheeks pose looks oddly familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oOq4S4tbM

:stonk:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

FractalSandwich posted:

This game's habit of providing teenage girls' measurements worries me. It's creepy. And weird. And creepy. I don't even know what to infer from them. I'm not a physician. I'm not a tailor. I don't have any business knowing about that poo poo.

I think this is one of those weird anime things that doesn't translate particularly well, in that it goes from being gross and creepy in the original language to being gross, creepy, and essentially meaningless to western audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Yoshio is a pervert/stalker. What do you expect?

• Locked thread