Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, we are exceedingly bad at treating PTSD now. I haven't seen the episode, so if it's a bunch of "Ah, I see, you want to have sex with your mother" (and it probably is), it's bad, but they would have had to invent therapy if they wanted to make someone get noticeably better over the course of an episode.

I'm pretty sure it was beyond just "oh no you're not getting immediately better" and into "I have no loving idea how to treat or deal with someone suffering PTSD" territory.

And nobody even loving think about making some smartass "oh haw haw obviously Starfleet's forgotten how to do anything about PTSD" since TNG and DS9 retconned like half a dozen loving wars that were happening immediately prior to or during the early TNG years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ezri's PTSD therapy strategy: catch Nog up on Bashir's holosuite adventures, don't allow him to be alone ever and let people badger him with petty poo poo, don't medicate him ever
Contemporary PTSD therapy strategy: medication, EMDR, support groups with fellow vets, therapy dogs, nature hikes or any other kind of activity that allows the person seclusion while encouraging physical activity.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

1st AD posted:

Ezri's PTSD therapy strategy: catch Nog up on Bashir's holosuite adventures, don't allow him to be alone ever and let people badger him with petty poo poo, don't medicate him ever
Contemporary PTSD therapy strategy: medication, EMDR, support groups with fellow vets, therapy dogs, nature hikes or any other kind of activity that allows the person seclusion while encouraging physical activity.

Would it have killed the writers to do some research on psychology and therapy?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Farecoal posted:

Would it have killed the writers to do some research on psychology and therapy?

Given the general treatment of vets in media and their portrayals of PTSD, even today, I'm going to go with "yes."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

McNally posted:

Given the general treatment of vets in media and their portrayals of PTSD, even today, pyschology as still being Sigmund Freud's field I'm going to go with "yes."

Almost nothing regarding brain disorders and mental illness is treated correctly in any media even in 2013.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

1st AD posted:

None of which, unfortunately, are very effective treatments. :(

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
S2 E5 - Cardassians

Good Trek, perhaps even great Trek. Garak is a great character, I got introduced to Gul Dukat properly and he seems awesome (the children, please, let us talk of the children) and the whole thing came together nicely. Impressive and motivational to continue with DS9.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I think that's one of the first episodes where you get a good idea about how the writer's will treat war in the the series. It's not just gonna be "two governments fight, some ships blow up, then they sign a treaty", but they're really going to go into the repercussions of war.

Yes, that is a good episode.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bicyclops posted:

None of which, unfortunately, are very effective treatments. :(

I suppose it's a lot easier to show advances in medical care by letting Bones give a lady a kidney-growing pill than it is to show advances in mental health care.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Speaking of the repercussions of war, the AVClub is making its way through DS9 and today they recapped In the Pale Moonlight.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish I could watch that episode for the first time again. I remember going from :stare: to :stonk: at the end.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

1st AD posted:

The only good part of Descent was Beverly using SCIENCE to blow up that abomination of a Borg ship, also guest starring the same actor who was in a previous episode about the same technobabble.

Ya it wasn't anything like Borg technology, looks wise. At least later we got spheres/obelisks, etc. But that thing was just a half rear end kitbash that ignored all things Borg in design.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Astfgl posted:

Speaking of the repercussions of war, the AVClub is making its way through DS9 and today they recapped In the Pale Moonlight.

Rappin_Jake_Sisko posted:

Dad's gotta convince the Romulans to enter in the war
Committed to a plan, like he was stepping through that door
When the news comes in they lost the battle for Betazed
Abandon the planet like Sarpeidons and A-to-zed
But other times he finds he's unsure of that position
Make a bribe to Quark, his faith in Rules of Acquisition
Is restored, dad's doubts get ignored
'Cause now there's a senator coming on board
Rod's fraudulent, but show the Romulans
And maintain that it's perfectly cromulent
Like trying to bluff Balok back aboard the Fesarius
But Captain Kirk's associates were never this nefarious

With the truth exposed, so Romulus goes from neutral to opponent
A fair approximation, but it only convinced him for a moment
Until it's clear that Garak just wanted him on the station
To plant a bomb on his shuttle, looks like Dominion assassination
Is it abandoning what he stands for, or protecting the Greater Good?
Just like Sandford NWA hiding Under the Hood
One senator, one crook, and unless he's off the mark
Starfleet's struck a bargain would be the envy of Quark

:allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dude's been showing up and rapping for nearly every single review. It's amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astfgl posted:

Youkilledhim! That's what you planned all along. You just wanted to get him on the station.. to plant a BOMB on his shuttle!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Astfgl posted:

Today! Is a great day! For the good guys!

I love whoever commented that one of the things that makes great Star Trek great is guys like Avery Brooks or Patrick Stewart or William Shatner acting for the folks in the back row.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

rocket_man38 posted:

Ya it wasn't anything like Borg technology, looks wise. At least later we got spheres/obelisks, etc. But that thing was just a half rear end kitbash that ignored all things Borg in design.

I'd always assumed it was just some ship that Lore had stolen.

They'd wrecked their cube somewhere else and Lore shows up in that thing and is like "sup guys."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skeesix posted:

Today! Is a great day! For the good guys!

I love whoever commented that one of the things that makes great Star Trek great is guys like Avery Brooks or Patrick Stewart or William Shatner acting for the folks in the back row.

There's a reason they always cast captains from the stage. Acting like that fits, damnit!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm on to Evolution, and wow, just like the start of S2 I feel like I've missed an episode or something? The newer uniforms look comfy as heck and the picture quality is waaay up. I love it!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Wesley's grey-on-grey uniform is the best uniform.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Wesley's grey-on-grey uniform is the best uniform.

I think you mean his rainbow uniform is the best.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

redshirt posted:

I think you mean his rainbow uniform is the best.

That would be his gay-on-gray uniform.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What about Wes' space-cardigan?!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I personally enjoy his space cardigan, I bet Bev knit it for him.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Tuvix's flowery fusion uniform is the best uniform no contest.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Acting like that fits, damnit!
I totally heard that in Sisko's voice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slamhound posted:

I totally heard that in Sisko's voice.

Same.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think this is right:

Kirk: Acting like that fits, damnit!

Picard: Acting like that fits, damnit!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LeafyOrb posted:

Tuvix's flowery fusion uniform is the best uniform no contest.

Tuvix is truly a gem in the in the spider-filled cave of Voyager.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I forgot what Tuvix looked like and almost punched my computer monitor at the image search. I want to go back to five minutes ago when I was still forgot.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shoehead posted:

I'm on to Evolution, and wow, just like the start of S2 I feel like I've missed an episode or something? The newer uniforms look comfy as heck and the picture quality is waaay up. I love it!

Are you watching the HD versions? Amazon has them on Instant Video up to season 4 if you aren't, free if you have Prime.

Also there were apparently a lot of background changes to the show after season 2. New set lighting director, less direct involvement from Gene Roddenberry, uniforms that didn't cause back problems, etc.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 20, 2013

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Whalley posted:

I forgot what Tuvix looked like and almost punched my computer monitor at the image search. I want to go back to five minutes ago when I was still forgot.

Oh God I can barely imagine the horrors.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh God I can barely imagine the horrors.

I feel bad for Tim Russ. At least he has his music still going for him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rocket_man38 posted:

I feel bad for Tim Russ. At least he has his music still going for him.

He just can't find poo poo :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, Tuvok was an okay character concept, you just take a Spock that's vaguely angry instead of vaguely sad and watch him try to control it, and maybe make him a little more tertiary instead of the second-in-command. And Tim Russ does pretty okay with what he's given, but he's playing that character on loving Voyager, where until Seven of Nine comes along, the only other interesting character is the hologram.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Call this my one really weird opinion about Voyager, but I unironically enjoyed Tuvix as a character (as much as you can like a character on Voyager) and would easily take him over either Tuvok or Neelix. His concept was loving retarded sure, but he was way more interesting than the other two were, plus he was actually competent at his job which is more than I can say for everyone else on the ship. I was actually kind of upset when Janeway murdered his rear end because Kes was sad. Also status quo and all that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Like, Tuvok was an okay character concept, you just take a Spock that's vaguely angry instead of vaguely sad and watch him try to control it, and maybe make him a little more tertiary instead of the second-in-command. And Tim Russ does pretty okay with what he's given, but he's playing that character on loving Voyager, where until Seven of Nine comes along, the only other interesting character is the hologram.

I would be shocked if the casting sheet for Tuvok was listed as anything other then "Black Spock". 2 entire series since TOS they probably thought they could easily do a major Vulcan cast character and not worry too much about it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Tuvix was Voyager's Stefan Urquelle.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, the ECH was. He fits all the notes. A cooler, more assertive version of a previously unhip character, but it gets out of hand and nearly winds up destroying the EMH before they can get it under control :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mr. Jive posted:

Tuvix was Voyager's Stefan Urquelle.

Was there an episode where Carl murdered a screaming Stefan to get Steven back?

• Locked thread