Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Also the lawyer who commissioned a painting of himself arguing a case before the Supreme Court with people in the foreground drawing him arguing a case before the Supreme Court.

Mise en abyme, indeed. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Joementum posted:

Also the lawyer who commissioned a painting of himself arguing a case before the Supreme Court with people in the foreground drawing him arguing a case before the Supreme Court.

Don't forget what the case he argued about.

New York Times posted:

Mr. Cruz rarely mentions his earliest appearances before the Supreme Court, which do not make for great campaign material. During his first trip there, in 2003, he argued that Texas was free to back out of a legal settlement in which it had vowed to improve health care services for poor children. The justices ruled unanimously against Texas.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That could only be a more hilariously classless piece of misguided propaganda if the chyron were part of the painting.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

That could only be a more hilariously classless piece of misguided propaganda if the chyron were part of the painting.

By the way, that painting hangs in his Senate office because "it is very good for instilling humility". I poo poo you not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On my phone it looked like Cruz had put on his Klan uniform on the wrong way.

It's not a hat, Rafael! It's a hood. It goes over your head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rolling Stone published a good article on why Palin's shoddy defense of the Duck Dynasty dude is pretty much....just that, shoddy, not thought out, and reactionary:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/sarah-palins-impressively-incoherent-duck-dynasty-comments-20131219

quote:

Sarah Palin, ably staying in character in her new role as a professional media ambulance-chaser, was one of the first to rush to Robertson's defense. She posted a photo of herself with the Robertsons and tweeted the following:

Free speech is endangered species; those "intolerants" hatin' & taking on Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing personal opinion take on us all

Conservatives have always had trouble grasping the difference between public censorship and private enterprise. With a few exceptions, like whistleblower laws and National Labor Relations Board protections against being fired for off-site discussions about work conditions (exceptions that, in almost every case, conservatives bitterly opposed), there is no legal or constitutional right to free speech on private property.

You can be fired for calling your boss a dick, and you can just as easily be let go by a profit-seeking media company for imperiling its relationship with advertisers. And incidentally, this is the way true conservatives, and especially true hardcore speech advocates, have always wanted it.

Could you imagine the uproar if someone passed a law saying that Martin Bashir couldn't be bounced from a broadcast job for saying Sarah Palin was a good candidate to have feces shoved in her mouth? Now that would be censorship.

Remember, nobody heard a peep from Sarah Palin about free speech after that episode. Bashir earlier this year tiptoed across the line in an angry diatribe about Palin's invocation of slavery imagery, which she had somewhat amazingly used to describe the suffering (presumably white) middle Americans will feel when they are forced to pay for the "free stuff" the Obama administration is handing out, i.e. health care:

Our free stuff today is being paid for today by taking money from our children and borrowing from China. When that money comes due and, this isn't racist, so try it, try it anyway, this isn't racist, but it's going to be like slavery when that note is due. Right? We are going to be beholden to a foreign master.

She elaborated:

And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.

Palin's mind is amazing. Slavery was purely a private-enterprise abomination. It had nothing to do with being subservient to the government. It was the opposite of that, actually. She was also wrong in the sense that the health care program isn't "free stuff" (even those who will receive subsidized care will be paying in one form or another for their policies).

So she pulled off a Friedman-esque anatomical impossibility there, getting three feet in her mouth at the same time.

First, she was wrong about slavery. Then she was wrong about health care. Then, thirdly, she was almost insanely insensitive and inappropriate in her use of the word slavery at all, comparing white middle class angst over having to partially subsidize health care for their poor (and mostly nonwhite) neighbors to being whipped and tortured across generations of institutional racist terror.

Bashir reacted to this by telling a story about slaves who were forced to defecate in each others' mouths, and then suggested that Palin, having "scraped the barrel of her long-deceased mind," was a "good candidate" for the same treatment. Soon after, he was essentially forced out of the network.

Again, Palin had no problem with that. In fact, Palin lauded the network once Bashir was out:

It was refreshing to see though, that many in the media did come out and say, 'Look, our standards have got to be higher than this . . .'

The thing is, Robertson's ouster by A&E was exactly the same sort of move – a network sucking it up and distancing itself from an on-air figure because of controversial speech. But because Robertson's views were ones Palin apparently agrees with, suddenly she wasn't talking about anything being refreshing, but instead cried that "free speech is an endangered species."

Literally every time she opens her mouth, her head descends to the level of her rear end and burrows its way into her anus.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sharkie posted:

I can't help myself, so I'll just post this (thanks fabgoon thread)...

The poor, don't-know-no-better stars of Duck Dynasty everyone. They're apparently as fake as every other aspect of the right wing's down-home Americana.

lollin' at the stock from the factory shafts on the drivers.

Also on Hannity today when he does his 'shoot the poo poo with the producers' segment, they spent a good five minutes haranguing how terrible the seasonal "Pajamagrams" promos are to do, and how they spend tons of time on out takes making terrible sexual innuendos and laughing about the product.

It was funny and humanizing, and also laughably shortsighted given how prevalent those ads are on national talk radio. Way to insult a primary funding source during their peak season, dude.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm watching Palin on Hannity right now, it's an amazing train wreck. "A+E has a new slogan to 'be original' but with this it's clear that it really should be 'be stupid' and won't the voice of the Christians be allowed to speak in the face of the LEFT!!!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I remember when A&E was nothing but operas, British detective shows, and Peter Graves. :corsair:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lovejoy.:allears:

Also endless Evening At The Improv reruns.

e: what weaksauce vandalism

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 20, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

Lovejoy.:allears:

Also endless Evening At The Improv reruns.

Didn't they run Masterpiece Mystery on there for a while too?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

And MTV used to only be about music, the Food Network used to be about teaching cooking, etc.

Everything is either a stupid competition show or redneck hillbillies/fat dumbfucks acting out stupid, unfunny "reality" sitcom storylines.

When cable finally goes extinct after streaming content takes over I will happily dance on it's loving grave.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the vandalism was "(that sucks because of Phil)" not the initialism part, in case anyone missed it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Does it suck because they suspended him or because he's there? Way to be clear, lovely vandal.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

beatlegs posted:

And MTV used to only be about music, the Food Network used to be about teaching cooking, etc.

Everything is either a stupid competition show or redneck hillbillies/fat dumbfucks acting out stupid, unfunny "reality" sitcom storylines.

When cable finally goes extinct after streaming content takes over I will happily dance on it's loving grave.

NetFlix is going to kill another medium, aren't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ukYf_xvgc

Kevin Spacey had a great speech about it.

TV as we know is going to die off, and we're going to be given the choice to stream whatever the hell we want. The final hurdle is going to be live sports, and news. (both of which are on the verge of doing that anyway). Once that's done, what are they going to have left?

I can't see shows like "Duck Dynasty", "Honey booboo", "Teen Mom" being things in this new era.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I can't see shows like "Duck Dynasty", "Honey booboo", "Teen Mom" being things in this new era.

You trust entirely too much in the intelligence of humanity.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

TV as we know is going to die off, and we're going to be given the choice to stream whatever the hell we want. The final hurdle is going to be live sports, and news. (both of which are on the verge of doing that anyway). Once that's done, what are they going to have left?

They make those shows because they are cheap to make, how much overhead does a show like "Honey booboo" cost, if anything we will see more cheap shows like that if the advertisers aren't willing to pay as much as they did on broadcast.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Idiocracy TV / XBone Interface.jpg

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

People make millions of dollars doing dumb poo poo on youtube for a fraction of the production cost of even those shows, so I dunno, there'll probably still be a market for it. It'll just be the craftiest rednecks finding a way to cut out the middlemen and broadcast their train wrecks straight to the masses.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

Maybe 20-30 years from now. And probably not really. Content will likely be locked down even worse than it is now if we went to all-streaming.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm pretty sure "Ow My Balls!" has a place in our future.

Also, the Palin book review mentioned in Taibbi's article is funnier than Taibbi's article (which is not supposed to be funny, I know):

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com...-what-i-learned

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Joementum posted:

It's not even a particularly good painting; the values are all muddy, there's no clear light source or focal point, and the composition and poses are boring.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FuzzySkinner posted:

For the time being at least, there's Jeopardy. :v:

It's basically the only reason I still have any kind of TV service. You can't watch it anywhere else.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't these same, poor, persecuted people steamroll Dixie Chicks CD's, get Bill Maher fired, boycott Heinz ketchup, poo poo on Cindy Sheehan, forever tarnish the reputation of Dan Rather, Newsweek (and even Katie Couric), cut off Jeremy Glick's mic, smear Joe Wilson, out Valerie Plame, tell the OWS crowd to shut up and take a bath and take a huge poop 9/11 widows who spoke out against the Iraq war?

These are just off the top of my head.

Sooooo....if Chic-Fil-A does a thing or fires a gay person, it's the free market, but when some dumb redneck on some stupid TV show I'll never see does a thing and get's suspended for it, it's tyranny? Have I got that about right?

Bring those up the next time someone complains that the Duck Dynasty guy is being unfairly silenced, and when the person you're talking to equivocates - "...but the Dixie Chicks criticized President Bush..." - bring up any of the multiple times that various right wing parties have made similar comments about Barack Obama.

Then post the backpedaling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Walter posted:

Bring those up the next time someone complains that the Duck Dynasty guy is being unfairly silenced, and when the person you're talking to equivocates - "...but the Dixie Chicks criticized President Bush..." - bring up any of the multiple times that various right wing parties have made similar comments about Barack Obama.

No, because they were American traitors.

It comes down to some mythical American Ideal that only applies as long as the 'right' political opinion is being promoted.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Joementum posted:

I remember when A&E was nothing but operas, British detective shows, and Peter Graves. :corsair:

And Columbo reruns. Didn't they start this change when they lost Law and Order reruns?

I would think the only educational tv of any kind now is on PBS.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm sure news is already there. But for sports it's gonna take a lot.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Vertical Lime posted:

I'm sure news is already there. But for sports it's gonna take a lot.

I used NHL game center to stream all the Devils games last season, and the NFL has sunday ticket. If the UFC streamed their free Fox shows I'd be ready to cancel cable again and go back to streaming only.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Brain Curry posted:

I used NHL game center to stream all the Devils games last season, and the NFL has sunday ticket. If the UFC streamed their free Fox shows I'd be ready to cancel cable again and go back to streaming only.

Just use an antenna for FOX.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ReindeerF posted:

I'm pretty sure "Ow My Balls!" has a place in our future.

Isn't that pretty much just "America's Funniest Home Videos"?

Walter posted:

Yeah, right. I'd even forgotten about Bashir. Freedom of speech indeed. (Note, I had no problem with Bashir being fired).

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

alg posted:

Just use an antenna for FOX.

They're mostly on foxsports 1&2, and I'm not sure if they're broadcast. If they are that's a perfect suggestion.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Ahahaha, Limbaugh is out and subbing in for him is none other than Erick son of Erick :unsmigghh:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yes, Fox and Jeopardy (ABC) are available over an antenna.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Isn't that pretty much just "America's Funniest Home Videos"?

Yeah, right. I'd even forgotten about Bashir. Freedom of speech indeed. (Note, I had no problem with Bashir being fired).

Oh, I don't think anyone misses Bashir, but the hypocrisy is too much to ignore.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Wasn't this, like, just last week or so?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ray and Shirley posted:

Wasn't this, like, just last week or so?

Because serving gays is so unlike serving blacks against your will.

I mean seriously, at this point, if we are going to allow then to refuse to serve gays, whats to stop from from saying that its against their beliefs to serve blacks, or muslims, or Chinese. If you let them get some wiggle room, they'll spread it around.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CommieGIR posted:

Because serving gays is so unlike serving blacks against your will.

I mean seriously, at this point, if we are going to allow then to refuse to serve gays, whats to stop from from saying that its against their beliefs to serve blacks, or muslims, or Chinese. If you let them get some wiggle room, they'll spread it around.

It was less about that and more about A&E/Duck Dynasty isn't about free enterprise and is about freedom of speech.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I honestly couldn't be happier with the right wing reaction on this. Even in the best case scenario where a person agrees with them it's still Palin et al on TV rolling around in the reality TV sty and it reminds everyone who isn't a piece of poo poo that "red meat" for conservatives now involves straight up hate speech about having sex with animals.

But hey you're on the side of a cooooool tv show and reminded everyone you really really don't like gay people. Please proceed governor's.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, Fox and Jeopardy (ABC) are available over an antenna.

I've seen people ask for streams for sporting events available over the air. I don't know what to say.

Also this was a front page cover today based on what our good friends have said

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well, to be fair, some people do not get good reception. Me, for instance. Thankfully I have a cable modem subscription and the ClearQAM channels are still unencryped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Can't wait to see how the right wing media tackles the Canadian supreme Court decision, especially in light of the duck dynasty poo poo. Gonna be good :allears: