Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kastein posted:

Worth noting is that the copper pipes in grover's pic are probably the conductors - skin effect uber alles!

Large-ish radar sets have waveguides between the magnetron and the antenna - basically a copper pipe. Is this what we're looking at? (Although I'm not sure I can reconcile waveguides with omnidirectional antennas, but I just use the drat things, so :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

FrozenVent posted:

Large-ish radar sets have waveguides between the magnetron and the antenna - basically a copper pipe. Is this what we're looking at? (Although I'm not sure I can reconcile waveguides with omnidirectional antennas, but I just use the drat things, so :shrug:)
In this case, it's not waveguide, that's literally copper pipe used as an uninsulated conductor. Waveguide at these frequencies would be hundreds of feet wide. I've seen "coaxial" used for long distance runs, but it's not recognizable as such, because it's pretty much a copper-lined tunnel (that you walk through) with a conductor suspended in the middle.

Radar sets work at much higher (1000x higher) frequencies.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 22, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Two Finger posted:

Could you tell me more about your comment on the brushless exciter? I'm more of an operations engineer than an electrical, I have a working knowledge of how the thing works but the theory is a little hazy to me.
This one is about 8 meg from memory, and the overspeed incident occurred because on startup, something got caught in the fuel rack and it could not pull back to maintain running speed. Just kept going faster and faster and it was just sheer luck that one of the other guys was there and pulled the e-stop.

Wow, I am comically bad at visually judging size.

Inside a synchronous motor, you have a field. This is basically an electromagnet. It catches onto the rotating magnetic field produced by the stator, making it rotate in sync with the line frequency (hence the name "synchronous motor"). Unless it gets so overloaded it pulls out, the motor will always rotate at a speed based on the line frequency and number of poles in the motor.

One way to do this is to have a permenant magnet inside the motor, but a better way is to use an electromagnet. One of the cool things about a synchronous motor is that if you adjust the amount of current you apply to the rotating field, you can adjust the power factor of the motor. With an induction motor, you're generally stuck with a lagging power factor ranging from "lovely" to "more lovely" depending on the motor and how much it is loaded. With a synchronous motor, you can operate at unity (voltage and current are perfectly in phase) or even leading power factor (to compensate for the lagging power factor of your plant's other induction motors, with the aforementioned lovely lagging power factor.

There are two ways to provide power to the exciter:

Brush rigging and an external exciter
You have a set of slip-rings attached to the motor's shaft, and carbon brushes ride on them. The slip rings are connected to the field windings. You connect an external exciter (basically a big DC power supply) to the slip rings.

Pros:
  • Easier to replace/upgrade exciter
  • Finer control of how the exciter functions
  • Easier feedback capabilities to instrumentation/SCADA system (field current, volts, power factor)
  • Much easier to work on power and control components
  • Troubleshooting power components and controls much easier (exciter can provide fault codes)
Cons:
  • May take up more space
  • Brushes require maintenance and inspection
  • Brushes can be bad if you're in an environment with an explosive atmosphere
  • Requires medium-sized external power source (generally 208V to 480V)
  • Not as popular an option compared to brushless excitation

Brushless exciter
With a brushless exciter, the entire exciter assembly is attached to and "rides" on the motor shaft. Power is transferred from the outside world to the brushless exciter via stator and rotor windings. That part looks like a much smaller motor connected to the same shaft as the main motor.

Pros:
  • No brush maintenance needed
  • May work better with explosionproof motors the require more encapsulation
  • Generally fewer components
  • Popular option for people installing motors
Cons:
  • Much more challenging to maintain/repair
  • Not as flexible
  • Getting detailed operating information requires radio telemetry
  • May still require an external control cabinet
  • Harder to troubleshoot problems (no immediate indication of specific faults, some units with radio telemetry may be able to provide some feedback)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Forgot to add this: here is a pretty basic diagram of a synchronous motor with across-the-line starting:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

FrozenVent posted:

Like grover said that's actually just the center conductor - and I actually see that every 90 degree bend has discolored soldered segments right next to it, so yes, that's definitely copper water pipe and fittings being used as conductors. I don't have a good grasp of what size but it looks like 3/4" trade size if I had to guess based on the window frame molding.

Speaking of which, notice how there's something odd in the middle of the window and it appears that a pipe goes through it? That's because the window is only there as insulation, the pipe leading to that odd thing in the middle of the window is the output from the antenna transmatch stage (all the inductors and capacitors in the foreground) to the base of that antenna tower. AM radio stations don't typically have an antenna tower that holds up an antenna like an FM station does, the tower is the antenna. Its height is tuned to match the wavelength being transmitted on, it's standing on a giant insulator, and all the guy wires have to be split into multiple insulated segments that are all non resonant lengths compared to the wavelength of the signal being transmitted because otherwise they'd either reflect the signal oddly or absorb it. That's why you'll see large ceramic "egg insulators" spaced out along the guy wires.

Radio stations are about the only time anyone does anything industrial with RF - except N0N designator inductive heating systems, I guess. And those mostly live in the ISM microwave bands, so they aren't as awesomely huge.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Michael Scott posted:

Hi, long shot here:

A few years ago I saw a video on YouTube where some guys, in Russia or somewhere, approach a full-size (I believe AM) radio transmitter mast outside. They take a branch/stick, bring it close to the tower and start to touch it. An electrical arc forms between the stick and the tower, and the arc gives off a sound that perfectly replicates the music and speech that is being broadcast from the radio station. I think it's due to some sort of short or fault in the tower itself, I don't think that normally happens?

Anyway, I lost that video and haven't been able to find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd like to find it again. :)

Thanks for your answers guys. I found the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMuJKsUjD_o

Feel free to explain a little more if you can. I see the guy burned his hands a bit in the beginning. Isn't this crazy?

I found this explanation on Reddit:

quote:

RF current does not penetrate deeply into electrical conductors but tends to flow along their surfaces; this is known as the skin effect. For this reason, when the human body comes in contact with high power RF currents it can cause superficial but serious burns called RF burns.
I didn't get a good enough look at the tower to be able to say, but given that both of those guys were wearing rubber gloves I suspect that they were some sort of technicians and that there is a problem with the tower. Perhaps there is a short circuit between the radiating element (the actual antenna) and ground (the tower) so that RF current is flowing through the tower to ground, but as I say, it's impossible to tell from the video.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 23, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds about right, and yeah, that's a clear case of crazy russians. I'd prescribe a couple handles of vodka for the whole crew and a higher quality video camera because Russians being nuts on youtube is one of my favorite things ever.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Sounds about right, and yeah, that's a clear case of crazy russians. I'd prescribe a couple handles of vodka for the whole crew and a higher quality video camera because Russians being nuts on youtube is one of my favorite things ever.

Yeah, they do some really strange things with power lines.

Exhibit A The video cuts out awfully fast. :ohdear::hf::science:

Exhibit B

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Two Finger posted:

Could you tell me more about your comment on the brushless exciter? I'm more of an operations engineer than an electrical, I have a working knowledge of how the thing works but the theory is a little hazy to me.
This one is about 8 meg from memory, and the overspeed incident occurred because on startup, something got caught in the fuel rack and it could not pull back to maintain running speed. Just kept going faster and faster and it was just sheer luck that one of the other guys was there and pulled the e-stop.

The trip valve and the governor were one valve? Sounds like poor design.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, it's something that had never come up before. The overspeed causes the governor to pull back to 0, cutting the fuel that way. It was never envisioned that there would be something physically preventing the governor from being able to pull back. The emergency stop used compressed air to overpower the fuel valve and force it closed that way. This is now being changed.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Consider doing a Fault Tree. These are useful since you can work them in both directions - from the catastrophic event down, or from the combinations of conditions to a catastrophic event. There are a lot of different things that you can consider:

• Mechanical failure
  • Lost signals or protection failure
  • Human error

That would help you see situations where a single failure could lead to a serious incident.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 23, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
12MW diesel/natural gas generator taking a 1500km land journey on a 216-wheel flatbed journey from the port to a power plant in Australia:

In case you were wondering how they did it, neat 5-minute video about the trip (and some other info about the engine):
http://www.enginelabs.com/news/true-story-behind-massive-engine-in-facebook-page-photo/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy poo poo, 164800 foot pounds of torque. That is 31.2 mile pounds. :stonk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo, 164800 foot pounds of torque. That is 31.2 mile pounds. :stonk:

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Two stroke engines are big.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FrozenVent posted:

The Australian one I posted was a 4-stroke. They're big because they're low-RPM. Low RPM reduces wear and maintenance intervals (which is very important for high-powered engines that run continuously for ships, trains, power plants, etc.), but since horsepower=torque x RPM, they need a cubic fuckton of torque to put out that power. So everything is super-massive to be able to be able to handle such high forces.

The 12MW one I posted above runs at 500rpm. The one you posted is 80MW at 102rpm. A 12MW packaged generator unit that runs at 1800rpm would be probably half the size, but would require a major overhaul over 2 or so years. So, you see "high speed" engines like that more in places they don't run continuously, like construction equipment and emergency generators.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 29, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

grover posted:

The Australian one I posted was a 4-stroke. They're big because they're low-RPM. Low RPM reduces wear and maintenance intervals (which is very important for high-powered engines that run continuously for ships, trains, power plants, etc.), but since horsepower=torque x RPM, they need a cubic fuckton of torque to put out that power. So everything is super-massive to be able to be able to handle such high forces.

The 12MW one I posted above runs at 500rpm. The one you posted is 80MW at 102rpm. A 12MW packaged generator unit that runs at 1800rpm would be probably half the size, but would require a major overhaul over 2 or so years. So, you see "high speed" engines like that more in places they don't run continuously, like construction equipment and emergency generators.

Glancing at that it looks very similar to what I work on. For reference, we call an engine like that medium speed rather than low speed - low speed is up to about 150rpm.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

FrozenVent posted:

You know that if Jesse James saw that he'd be trying to figure out a way to put that into a motorcycle.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was recently a serious accident in Lorain, near Cleveland:

Fire Erupts at Republic Steel's New Electric Arc Furnace

It started during hot commissioning, no serious injuries but I heard the building is pretty much destroyed.

Also amazing is the fact that it sounds like the firefighters didn't have adequate firefighting water available at the site.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 7, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We had a fairly major winter storm event here - lots of ice and freezing rain, resulting in hundreds of thousands of outages beginning Thursday. A handful still aren't resolved.

This is more of a poco question I guess, but after something like that, how many other companies will help out - and is it something they're required to do? The majority of the out of state energy trucks I've seen have been from Pike Energy in NC (I'm in TX), though I've also seen some unbranded trucks with Louisiana plates.

e: if it matters, I live in Oncor territory.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 9, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

This is more of a poco question I guess, but after something like that, how many other companies will help out - and is it something they're required to do? The majority of the out of state energy trucks I've seen have been from Pike Energy in NC (I'm in TX), though I've also seen some unbranded trucks with Louisiana plates.

I'd guess that Pike does a lot of contract work for other power companies. This was the first nice weather day after a tropical storm last year:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I saw three "PIKE" electrical service trucks with North Carolina plates in Miami today.

http://i.imgur.com/c5z7F.jpg full size

What do the "? GROUNDED" stickers (on all three trucks) mean? Are they a safety thing to remind workers to check if the truck is grounded before doing something dangerous? Are there some kind of placards or magnets that go over them when the truck is grounded?

The "If you lived in your truck you'd be home" sticker was only on that one truck.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

some texas redneck posted:

We had a fairly major winter storm event here - lots of ice and freezing rain, resulting in hundreds of thousands of outages beginning Thursday. A handful still aren't resolved.

In Quebec, we usually get help from various companies in the NE United States when things go down because we sell some of our power to the region (this happened extensively during the Ice Storm of '98, I remember seeing tons of American plated trucks). I believe one of the stipulations of the contracts is that these consumers have priority over our local market, so in the event of a failure we must first re-establish transmission to the states, so these companies helping us also helps them.

I find the hydro Quebec system to be quite fascinating, as 98% of the power generated comes from hydroelectric plants. One of our biggest systems is the James Bay project:

quote:

Construction costs of the project's first phase in the 1970s and 80s amounted to $13.7 billion (1987 Canadian dollars). The eight power stations of the La Grande Complex generate an average of 83 terawatt-hours (TWh) a year, enough to meet the total demand of a small industrialized economy such as Belgium. The James Bay power stations represent almost half of Hydro-Québec's total output and capacity.

The James Bay region is located roughly 1,000KM north of Montreal, and we use extra high voltage (735kV!) transmission lines to transport the power south.

Edit: Just to add in, the Ice Storm of 98 caused extensive damage to our grid (the weight of so much ice put way too much strain on the transmission towers), and I remember that this wasn't an uncommon sight on the South Shore of Montreal during the time:

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 9, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Supersonic posted:

In Quebec, we usually get help from various companies in the NE United States when things go down because we sell some of our power to the region (this happened extensively during the Ice Storm of '98, I remember seeing tons of American plated trucks). I believe one of the stipulations of the contracts is that these consumers have priority over our local market, so in the event of a failure we must first re-establish transmission to the states, so these companies helping us also helps them.

We have mutual assistance agreement in place with those companies; when the going gets bad in Vermont or something our trucks will go down there to help.

I highly doubt that Hydro, a corporation owned by the government of Quebec, has agreements in place that prioritize US customers over Quebec customers. I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if it were the case.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

FrozenVent posted:

We have mutual assistance agreement in place with those companies; when the going gets bad in Vermont or something our trucks will go down there to help.

I highly doubt that Hydro, a corporation owned by the government of Quebec, has agreements in place that prioritize US customers over Quebec customers. I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if it were the case.

I heard this secondhand from an electrician friend (and should have verified!), but it looks like you're right. According to this report, its actually the reverse.

quote:

Generation: Hydro-Québec Production operates and develops Hydro-
Québec’s generating facilities. This division also sells electricity on external
markets and engages in energy trading. Hydro-Québec Production provides
Hydro-Québec Distribution with a base volume of up to 165 TWh of heritage
pool electricity annually at an average price of 2.79¢/kWh. In excess of this
volume, it can participate in Hydro-Québec Distribution’s calls for tenders
in a context of free market competition.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
So I've been rewinding electric motors for a couple years now, any interest in pics mid-rewind? Most of what I see is in the 30-100hp range, and rarely above 400 hp.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Yeonik posted:

So I've been rewinding electric motors for a couple years now, any interest in pics mid-rewind? Most of what I see is in the 30-100hp range, and rarely above 400 hp.

Yeah! That would be cool!

I was reviewing some photos of a larger motor (medium voltage, 1000 HP range) that had rub damage on the stator and rotor yesterday. (Where the spinning part in the middle slides against the stationary part - that's not good.)

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Yeonik posted:

Definitely.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah! That would be cool!

I was reviewing some photos of a larger motor (medium voltage, 1000 HP range) that had rub damage on the stator and rotor yesterday. (Where the spinning part in the middle slides against the stationary part - that's not good.)

I see that sort of thing alot. That failure can make a motor a terror to re-wind - if it shifts the teeth in the laminations they end up like razors trying to cut through every wire/insulation that you put back in.

[timg]

There's a neat little two speed, two winding hoist motor. The low speed is the top set of coils, and the high speed is the bottom set. This is at least a year old so I don't even remember the speeds ;p 4 and 12 pole or something fun.

Same little hoist motor waiting for internal connections to be made. There's a bit of brazing to be done ;p When I say internal connections - we braze every third group of coils together (phase A, phase B, phase C etc. around the winding. This is called a jumper) then either wye the end of the phase or delta it, or bring them out as leads so we can do either =p

Halfway through a 200hp. This is the non-lead end. Note the coils on the top - we leave them hanging out because when we get back to that point we have to tuck coils under them to finish the lap winding. The yellow stuff sticking out of the winding is phase insulation. Glove for scale =D

Same 200hp, coils all inserted, getting ready for internal connections.

I apparently didnt photobucket as many pictures as I thought so... more to come! In general though, once you've seen one you've seen em all =p

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it all done by hand?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Do you have a vacuum impregnation tank on site? Do you guys do any synchronous motors? Do you do heat run and vibration/balance testing in your shop?

I was at a larger shop awhile back and they had a huge tank that could do larger-frame motors (10,000+ HP) and also "vertical" motors and generators for pump/hydro applications. It was wild seeing such massive machines being built. They had four and eight-pole rotors (salient pole) being assembled that weighed many tons.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Is it all done by hand?

Where I visited, yes, a lot of the assembly work is done by hand. I've seen coils that are made by machines, but many of the steps like adding corona tape (for high voltage machines) and installing the coils were done by hand. It's really a craft more than an industrial process.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 20, 2013

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

Is it all done by hand?

Yes, everything except making the coils. Inserting, connecting, etc. all requires a human touch. Manufacturers ARE able to wind motors with a concentric winding rather than a lap, and can use automation for that - hence the comparatively low cost of new motors. I can't compete with new motors on most standard frames up to about 60 hp. Turnaround time makes the difference - if it takes a week to get a motor shipped here and I can have it wound in a day or 2, that makes a big difference to a customer if one of their processes/oil wells/whatever is down less time.

Form coils (my pictures, and the bulk of my work, is random wound) are made by an outside manufacturer. I believe most of that is automated.

Three-Phase posted:

Do you have a vacuum impregnation tank on site? Do you guys do any synchronous motors? Do you do heat run and vibration/balance testing in your shop?

We do not have VPI. I wish we did, but we don't.

We see very, very few synchronous motors.

I don't really know what you mean by heat run - I'm assuming you mean a dynamometer... put a load on and see how the motor reacts? If so, that is outsourced if it's requested by the customer.

Vibration and balance testing yes, we've got a balancer setup. We balance anything large (200hp I think? I don't get involved in that end of the world too much) and anything that has had shaft work done (bearing journal buildup, new keyways cut, etc.).

We've got a few 585KW generators out of a local hydro power plant in for rewind - I'll grab some pictures later on tonight when I go back in.

Three-Phase posted:

I was at a larger shop awhile back and they had a huge tank that could do larger-frame motors (10,000+ HP) and also "vertical" motors and generators for pump/hydro applications. It was wild seeing such massive machines being built. They had four and eight-pole rotors (salient pole) being assembled that weighed many tons.

It's amazing seeing some of that stuff. We don't deal with HUGE HUGE motors, and it's always fun seeing how it scales.

This thread is great because I rarely get a chance to go out in the field and see the other end - both controls, and what the motors actually *do*. I still haven't read the whole thread =D

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I deal with some really big motors. Primary heat transport pumps are 11,000 hp at 6.6kv with across the line starting and you have to start all 4 at the same time to prevent flow reversal in parts of the process.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

helno posted:

I deal with some really big motors. Primary heat transport pumps are 11,000 hp at 6.6kv with across the line starting and you have to start all 4 at the same time to prevent flow reversal in parts of the process.
:stare: took a second before I remembered you work at a power plant. That's an insane amount of energy! I take it the plant isn't black start capable?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

helno posted:

Wow, that must hammer the system when they all start. I'm surprised, the equipment I've seen over 10,000 HP typically has some sort of soft-starting implemented (electronic drive/soft-start, autotransformer, reactor, delta-wye, and soforth).

Do they hit the bus simultaneously or is there any sort of delay? I've seen huge peak current (from the subtransient reactance) even on relatively soft-started motors.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Why do you guys talk about motor power in HP? I've always used kW when talking about electric motors.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Because we Americans have to do things differently.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Yeonik posted:

Because we Americans have to do things differently.

I also never understood why everything has HP ratings, contactors, breakers, etc.

Aren't we beyond that by now? Code says everything must be HP rated, but it seems like there are instances where that's not sufficient to size things properly. I usually size things based on nameplate FLA, and even that's flawed since your inrush curve is different for different motors.

Seems to me that the HP or kW rating are missing gobs of important information on the electrical side.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
image dump!

Some Guy From NY fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 21, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

DaveSauce posted:

I also never understood why everything has HP ratings, contactors, breakers, etc.

Aren't we beyond that by now? Code says everything must be HP rated, but it seems like there are instances where that's not sufficient to size things properly. I usually size things based on nameplate FLA, and even that's flawed since your inrush curve is different for different motors.

Seems to me that the HP or kW rating are missing gobs of important information on the electrical side.
Yeah, I always found a simple "HP" rating on a breaker or contactor to be less than useful for engineering purposes. OK, great, x HP, but xHP with what kind of motor? Not that kW rating would be any better. Best to calculate both FLA and locked-rotor and ensure the protection is sized for both. Under modern code, there needs to be a fault coordination and arc flash study anyway, so the actual currents and curves are going to be known; rules of thumb aren't really saving anything.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

HP and KW are a function of the motor properties.

HP= (1.73*volts*amps*efficiency*Power Factor)/746
KW= (1.73*Volts*amps*PF)/1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

grover posted:

:stare: took a second before I remembered you work at a power plant. That's an insane amount of energy! I take it the plant isn't black start capable?

It can keep going without the grid but cant start. PHT pumps take more power than the standby generators can deliver. We need around 40 Mw to run up.

Very few power plants can darkstart. I worked at a hydro plant that could, they had a battery box with jumper cables you could hook directly to the brushgear and a mechanical governor.

• Locked thread