Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Place Ad Here posted:

I think you are forgetting about The Infernal One:

"They come, marching, believing themselves equal to the army of ancients that chained me. But I am not of their time. Their ancestors called me Soa, wrath and power, and knew fear. For I ruled a thousand worlds, and Korriban was my crown, Korriban my cradle and my testing ground. I have waited twenty thousand years, but I will wait no longer."

I know that speech by heart. And as much as I make fun of it, he just chews so much scenery that I can't hate it. And secretly kind of enjoy it.

That said, I really need to do the Dread Masters stuff... I missed the last three raids because I'd been growing bored with the game and had fallen out with all my raiding friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That speech loses something if you have him down to 70% before he finishes it.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Place Ad Here posted:

I think you are forgetting about The Infernal One:

"They come, marching, believing themselves equal to the army of ancients that chained me. But I am not of their time. Their ancestors called me Soa, wrath and power, and knew fear. For I ruled a thousand worlds, and Korriban was my crown, Korriban my cradle and my testing ground. I have waited twenty thousand years, but I will wait no longer."

Still my favorite boss speech in the entire game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've picked up this game again after a long time away, and decided to roll an imperial sniper, because it seems like one of the most straightforward classes (set up far away from bad guys, burst powerful DPS abilities until bad guys are dead).

I'm following along with this build and am a little confused about the "rotation and cooldown" part, where it says "Follow the priority list and use higher priority abilities as often as possible. "

Seeing as how snipe is #3 on the list, and it has no cooldown, when would you ever use any of the abilities below it on the priority list?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The Noxxic page on marksmanship snipers is complete nonsense. Go to the official class forum for reasonable advice (though it'll be more tailored for endgame).

As you make your way up the Marksmanship tree, before you get Followthrough you'll just want to stick to Ambush and Snipe while keeping your energy above 60. Of these, Ambush has the better damage/energy ratio and built in armor penetration through talents so prioritize it. After you pick up Followthrough it'll become the backbone of your rotation as you proceed by cooldown through the different ways of getting it to light up (Ambush+Followthrough, Series of Shots+Followthrough, Snipex2+Followthrough). There are some more advanced tricks for energy management and timing that separate an exceptional sniper from a decent one but "Followthrough as often as possible" is a good baseline to work from.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Promethium posted:

The Noxxic page on marksmanship snipers is complete nonsense. Go to the official class forum for reasonable advice (though it'll be more tailored for endgame).

As you make your way up the Marksmanship tree, before you get Followthrough you'll just want to stick to Ambush and Snipe while keeping your energy above 60. Of these, Ambush has the better damage/energy ratio and built in armor penetration through talents so prioritize it. After you pick up Followthrough it'll become the backbone of your rotation as you proceed by cooldown through the different ways of getting it to light up (Ambush+Followthrough, Series of Shots+Followthrough, Snipex2+Followthrough). There are some more advanced tricks for energy management and timing that separate an exceptional sniper from a decent one but "Followthrough as often as possible" is a good baseline to work from.

Good to know, thanks! What about the other abilities early on? Is it worth it to use stuff like corrosive dart and explosive probe, or should I really just be saving my energy for Snipe and Ambush?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

Good to know, thanks! What about the other abilities early on? Is it worth it to use stuff like corrosive dart and explosive probe, or should I really just be saving my energy for Snipe and Ambush?

You can use them but for most enemies it won't make much of a difference. Corrosive Dart runs over 15 seconds and in theory is worth using if the fight lasts that long, but it also breaks your crowd control options like Flashbang or Slice Droid; you'd see more use out of it if you go up the Lethality tree. Explosive Probe is nice if you need a sudden burst of damage since it detonates the next time you hit the target, but its damage/energy ratio is pretty poor unless you go into Engineering.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It seems like at this early part of the game (I'm still on Dromund Kaas), the leeway for lovely play is pretty high anyway so I'm not sure why I'm fretting the details so much; thanks for the tips, I will keep them in mind!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, don't worry about it too hard. I'd say most classes don't really start to come together until the 25-35 level range. Earlier than that, you just don't have the abilities and talents to fit all the pieces in place. Promethium's advice is dead on.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Ugh, I have no idea why but I just randomly started missing this game so hard.

I think they migrated all of my characters but uh... ya, I need to pick this back up.

Juggernaut PvP > *

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's an endgame build for Snipers that uses Corrosive Dart but it's like a 2% increase in your total DPS so unless you're a spergy min/maxer you won't get a lot of use out of it. You can randomly throw it in during a filler in your rotation, but generally you won't use it that much. Explosive Probe is theoretically really efficient in an aoe pull, but I don't really use it that much.

You won't really start to feel your rotation flow until you get Followthrough (and the FT bonuses), but generally I'd say use Ambush as much as possible, use Snipe if it will live long enough for the cast to finish (otherwise just basic attack) and use EP/grenades in AoE situations. Keep your energy above 60, that's when you regen the most.

Endgame rotation for Gunslingers/Snipers is fantastic, though. Everything flows so well. (Snipers look like poo poo because most of your attacks have the same animation,but the gameplay is still basically the same) If you have questions about it, let me know, I can go into more detail about your endgame rotation. Noxxic's good for like a basic overview, but if you really want to get good and learn what you're doing, look other places.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Somebody post a referral link and I'll use it. Assuming me playing for the last few days as preferred doesn't exclude me.

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

Bunleigh posted:

Somebody post a referral link and I'll use it. Assuming me playing for the last few days as preferred doesn't exclude me.

http://www.swtor.com/r/r7nMHL Have at it!

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Clicked, thanks.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005
:siren:Secret Santa:siren:

Just a reminder to get your gifts and send them to Marie'curie so that I can send them out for Christmas.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Is Makeb shorter for the Republic? On my Imperials it seems like it takes forever and a day, but my Republic guys just breeze through it in a couple hours.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I would pay $40 in real cash for a 5 bay legacy storage bay in this game. HAving a billion characters with shared crew skills is a pain in the rear end logistics wise.

edit - Er, shared crew skill COMPONENTS.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 21, 2013

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Medullah posted:

I would pay $40 in real cash for a 5 bay legacy storage bay in this game. HAving a billion characters with shared crew skills is a pain in the rear end logistics wise.

That sir, is a fantastic idea. If only they would implement it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Referral link if anyone needs it ******************* two droids down, three to go. :f5:

edit: Many thanks folks i got them all!! Thanks for clicking my link, now go click someone else in need. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 23, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So all of a sudden my Sniper refuses to go into cover when there is no cover in the area. I keeps saying that it "isn't usable in the air." Does anyone know a fix?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Any TNG that can invite me right now? On as "Krul". Thanks.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Medullah posted:

At least you can send mail across factions, no more selling things for 1 credit on Nar Shaddaa and switching characters, hoping no one snipes them.

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

You could always use the guild bank but that wouldn't work across faction. I have a cycle for my 8 toons that I go through and they are all mainly running slicing missions and doing crit things as well as augments. If you are doing a lot of stims on both factions this would be a big pain in the rear end

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is there such a thing as a cheap vehicle? Balmorra is feeling unpleasantly spread out. I don't care if it's one of those lawnmower looking ones.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there such a thing as a cheap vehicle? Balmorra is feeling unpleasantly spread out. I don't care if it's one of those lawnmower looking ones.

Lots of the more common speeders from cartel packs should be cheap as dirt on the GTN.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Styles posted:

You could always use the guild bank but that wouldn't work across faction. I have a cycle for my 8 toons that I go through and they are all mainly running slicing missions and doing crit things as well as augments. If you are doing a lot of stims on both factions this would be a big pain in the rear end

Yeah it's normally not a huge deal, it's only really an issue when I'm twinking out my alts. Sucks that my Cybertech, Armstech and Armormech all share Scavenging.

Plus all new characters get Biochem so I have to ship them a ton of Bioanalysis components to get them to 450. :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Styles posted:

We can't all be as cool as place and steal a guild bank tab.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dick Trauma posted:

Pretty sure it's only 8000 credits from the speeder vendor for the cheapo speeder, even if there isn't anything on the GTN. That's where my first character got the first speeder from.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

If you're on JC post your character name and I'll send you one.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

If you think Balmorra is spread out, wait until Tattooine.

Quick note: At 8:30 EST, TNG will be hosting it's weekly alt/undergeared/fun run raid. Come on down, I'm tried of being the worst person there.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Jedi posted:

Remember when SP1 was level 25 and was expensive and you had basically just arrived on planets that you'd really need a mount for?

Good times.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

ThreeSixXero posted:

Remember when SP1 was level 25 and was expensive and you had basically just arrived on planets that you'd really need a mount for?

Good times.

And you didn't get Sprint until level 16...

Also, Dick Trauma, if you're on Jedi Covenant, let me know. I've got a couple extra speeders sitting in the bank.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Jedi posted:

Quick note: At 8:30 EST, TNG will be hosting it's weekly alt/undergeared/fun run raid. Come on down, I'm tried of being the worst person there.

I guess you weren't there the one time I was in a raid. I'm pretty sure that I brought to whole group's average IQ down.

Q: I've tried to figure out the answer myself but my extensive experience of one (1) raid isn't much help; all things (gear, fight knowledge, etc.) being equal, what's the most forgiving role in a raid?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DPS by far

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Agreed. As an addendum, Ranged DPS is probably the easiest of all of them. None of the roles are terribly difficult providing you understand what to do, but unless you're undermanning Nightmare modes, one mediocre DPS just makes the fight take a little longer.

At least, that's my understanding.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure it's only 8000 credits from the speeder vendor for the cheapo speeder, even if there isn't anything on the GTN. That's where my first character got the first speeder from.
Don't do this it won't be an adaptive speeder (one that adjusts its speed to your piloting level). Just hit the GTN and buy an adaptive speeder for like 1k credits and you're set for the entire game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rascyc posted:

Don't do this it won't be an adaptive speeder (one that adjusts its speed to your piloting level). Just hit the GTN and buy an adaptive speeder for like 1k credits and you're set for the entire game.

The last time I looked at the GTN, the cheapest speeder was 35k or so. When someone only has speeder piloting I (i.e. the first time they hit Balmora), the 8k speeder goes just as fast as that 35k one would go, and by the time they get SP2 or SP3, they should have more money to buy whatever they want if they don't have an adaptive free one by then.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The cheapest speeder on GTN was 11,500, and then I remembered that at one point I bought a pack that included a speeder on another character. All I had to do was dig through the horrible collection interface to find it and grab it for this character.

EDIT: I don't have a character on JC. Is there any particular class that's needed?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 22, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Preferred players don't get speeders until level 25 (though I dunno if that's when you get the legacy unlock or if it's that way for ALL of your characters). :gonk:

Frustrating thing is I'm 22 Cartel coins away from being able to pick up that Preferred Access Bundle, which means running through the tutorial planets on another two characters to pick up the achievement coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Drone posted:

Preferred players don't get speeders until level 25 (though I dunno if that's when you get the legacy unlock or if it's that way for ALL of your characters). :gonk:

Frustrating thing is I'm 22 Cartel coins away from being able to pick up that Preferred Access Bundle, which means running through the tutorial planets on another two characters to pick up the achievement coins.

Did you try clicking one of the referral links on the thread? You should get the bundle for free

• Locked thread