Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

habeasdorkus posted:

Meanwhile, Colin Standing has gone down and is flopping about like a spavined trout.

Of course he flops. That's how you get possession when you suck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

14': Eustace Boyce writes from Tackleford "Brown got sacked because he was the type of guy like AVB who promises the moon if you give him a Ferrari and then proceeds to drive it like a yugo. Wrexham may field a good team while they have him but they'll never become real contenders." Nsangou makes a brilliant save to keep Tackleford off the post as I was reading that.

18': Mrs. Marple writes in to second Mr. Boyce and adds: "It's because of all the violence on television these days, what with your Games of Throne and Breaking Poorly. If only young men today read books."

22': John Rambo writes in to contradict Mrs. Marple: "Books? You mean like the Iliad, which was just a bunch of Greeks seeing how many greased up gym bunnies they could each slaughter? Books are the cause of the fall of western civilization!"

26': Dr. Eugene Pangloss tuts: "Doesn't Mr. Rambo know that books didn't exist in antiquity? The Iliad was originally an oral tradition! It wasn't for hundreds of years after the first telling that it was written."

As a guardian-reading football-fanatic literature-scholar this is wonderful.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, if any of you non-Brits aren't familiar with the Guardian coverage, it is exactly like this. This is hardly exaggerated.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Phew, 1-nil up at the half. We're holding out for now...

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Is anyone man marking Coulson? Because someone needs to be on him like a News of the World journalist on a dead girl's phone.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yep! He's just really good and he plays on our weaker defensive side.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Enjoying the 1-0 lead, but another one would definitely have me breathing a bit easier.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

Enjoying the 1-0 lead, but another one would definitely have me breathing a bit easier.

Yeah, another goal would really help put it the game out of reach for them. Put them to the sword!

edit: And of course, as I say that, we go up 2-nil!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

rizzen posted:

Yeah, another goal would really help put it the game out of reach for them. Put them to the sword!

Or better yet The Cannon :black101:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Thank god for that goal. Bit of breathing room now :D

EDIT: @77' Remember who the real enemy is Brown!

beru04 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 20, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
GOOOAAALLL

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

We need a Wrexham fan in here to teach us some songs. Are we going to get the goals uploaded to youtube for some Match of the Day analysis?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Dagger through the heart!

Love it :dance:

beru04
May 4, 2013

We're gonna win the cup! (Side note: You should live-report the draw after this :P)

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

TACKLEFORD! WHAT'S THE SCORE? TACKLEFORD TACKLEFORD WHAT'S THE SCORE?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Wooo! Get dunked Tackleford!

Shame about their consolation goal there at the end though. Would have been nice to get a clean sheet out of it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am really happy that score line wasn't reversed, it was going to be pretty embarrassing if I played that whole game at real speed and we got our asses kicked.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

That was an excellent MBM, cheers!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
That was amazing. :allears:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 20, 2013

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

habeasdorkus posted:

Brown looks elated on the sidelines right now, and, yes, I believe he is flipping off the Tackleford fans behind the Wrexham goal. That'll be a fine from the FA.

Stay classy Brown. Stay Classy. :allears:

Also that Wales.co.uk journalist is obviously someone who you pissed off in high school and is still bitter about it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
That was wonderful :allears:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, with that sort of response I'm going to have to do these MBM for other big games. I had a lot of fun doing it, especially once I realized to slow down the game to actual speed instead of x2 speed, and I'm really glad you guys enjoyed it.

Next update won't be until at least the 23rd, and probably not for over a week. It's Christmastime! Time to get my family visiting on! And explain why the presents I ordered two weeks ago didn't show up in time to be under the tree!

I'll be around, though, so feel free to make any requests you'd like. Next update will take us to the start of the January transfer window, and then the one after that will be our shopping/selling period.

As for Wrexham songs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBjEgaxTDs is pretty sweet.

Jenner posted:

That was amazing. :allears:

Football Manager was how I really got into soccer. I used to watch the World Cup when it was on in 2002/2006/2010, and I followed the sport in the same way that I follow, say, college hockey, where I know the big teams and am vaguely aware of who wins each year, but I didn't follow it the way I do most other sports until late 2010 after I read the Let's Play referenced in the OP.

Then I picked up FM12 when I should have been studying for the bar, and three years and 1200 hours later here I am. Turning on NBCsports.com at 9am in the morning on weekends and making myself breakfast while watching Tottenham disappoint and Luis Suarez become Sociopath Cristiano Ronaldo.

eta: We got drawn away against Man U in the FA Cup. We're going to get mudholed, but 50k-75k fans paying 40 quid per ticket and a 50/50 split of net revenue is going to get us somewhere around 1-2m pounds. This is the best possible result, we're not going to be broke!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 20, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

We got drawn away against Man U in the FA Cup.

Let's go for a win I wish. But we could follow Alcorcon's example against Real Madrid, for the people that don't know Alcorcon a team from the third league defeated a Real Madrdi with players like Raul, Diarra and Benzema. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcorconazo

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: We got drawn away against Man U in the FA Cup. We're going to get mudholed, but 50k-75k fans paying 40 quid per ticket and a 50/50 split of net revenue is going to get us somewhere around 1-2m pounds. This is the best possible result, we're not going to be broke!

Man U have previous when it comes to hosting non-league teams. I was at this particular game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/4139315.stm

and it was magical. Shame about the replay...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Shut up shop and try and bring them to Wrexham to play on our lovely, lovely turf. But yes, as a Football Manager player myself this was pretty much the best result we could have hoped for- Man U away.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I kinda like the FA Cup as an institution. I remember my high school history teacher, and soccer coach, a terribly British man, explaining that he played second string for a lower tier club that, thirty years down the line, had grown big enough to "get the piss kicked out of us by Arsenal."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I think the FA cup is really neat. I played on my way down to New York City today, we made 1.3 million pounds off the Man U match. We're now rich.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I think the FA cup is really neat. I played on my way down to New York City today, we made 1.3 million pounds off the Man U match. We're now rich.

Money is nice, but the game is about glory. How many cups are we still in?

beru04
May 4, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

All of them. He's left out the part where Wrexham won :smuggo:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Robert_Deadford posted:

Man U have previous when it comes to hosting non-league teams. I was at this particular game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/4139315.stm

and it was magical. Shame about the replay...

You and me both mate :swoon: Easily one of the best days supporting this lovely loving club.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

We're still in the FA Trophy. And 1m pounds is a huge amount of money for our side, it's literally 33% of our average yearly income. We were at -30k and taking out small loans to make payroll prior to the game, now we're set for several years.

BOARD QUESTION TIME:

(Assertively)We're now much wealthier. I would very much like to take some of that money and increase our transfer budget so we can bring in better players. Our balance sheet is below. We will likely lose ~200,000-250,000 pounds over the rest of the season.

I have prepared three plans:

1) Maintain the current wage budget and transfer budget (32k/wk and 15.5k).

2) Increase the transfer budget by 50,000 pounds (32k/wk and 65.5k)

3) Increase the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k)

Please inform me of your decision by 12pm EST Sunday.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 21, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

(Calmly) I see no real reason not to increase both the wage and transfer budgets.

As an aside, everybody can vote in these because the board president is the entire thread as a whole, right?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

At this point in time, I would say it is safe to increase the transfer budget by 50,000 pounds.

As well, if possible, we should probably look at keeping a decent amount in the bank for a rainy day or emergency or something. Just because we're a million up doesn't mean we can throw money around like we're a Saudi prince.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TheMcD posted:

As an aside, everybody can vote in these because the board president is the entire thread as a whole, right?

Yep! No requirement to be on the board to vote. The more opinions the better.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Increase the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds. Once we've sorted the team out a bit (and hopefully landed some prize money/promotion) then we can focus on breaking even.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Don't increase! Save the money for a good PR team or something.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Do not Increase, save for improving youth facilities.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
(Cautiously) We will need to see a return on this investment. If you believe you can secure the playoffs or the FA Trophy, I will back you to the hilt.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

1) Maintain the current wage budget and transfer budget (32k/wk and 15.5k).

I don't see any reason to increase either the wage budget or the transfer budget at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Increase the transfer budget by 50000 pounds. Our team can only go so far with our current players.

• Locked thread