Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

What's blowing my mind is how scared this guy was to fly a visual approach in broad daylight and unlimited visibility.

If "exactly controlling the descent profile and the lateral profile" in near-perfect weather is "very stressful" for you, you shouldn't be in the seat. Any seat.

I absolutely agree with your comments. As to the original quote...

:stonk:

I have no words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Isn't part of the training for large birds like that being able to calculate and carry out a glideslope for landing without the aids? :psyduck:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The CIA have an A-12 in their car park - https://goo.gl/maps/YvKtl

That's pretty awesome.

I was hoping you meant "sitting on the landing gear and taking up sixteen stalls" but that's still pretty neat.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The CIA have an A-12 in their car park - https://goo.gl/maps/YvKtl

That's pretty awesome.

Technically, that's a gate guardian, not in the car park...

RAF Waddington's is a vulcan:

http://goo.gl/maps/smlW6

e: also, RAF Scampton had a live grandslam bomb (22,000lb) as their gate guardian for 15 years before they realised that it was still live.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 19, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

What's more mindblowing is that apparently the thought of requesting a different runway with a working ILS did not enter his mind at all. Apparently he thought that if he'd just close his eyes everything would be fine...

That would be rude, you obviously do not understand the culture.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't forget- it's also rude to wear sunglasses on the flight deck!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

I've been waiting patiently for someone to seriously say that to me regarding the Asiana crash, so I can rip their head off and beat the stupid out of them with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I've been waiting patiently for someone to seriously say that to me regarding the Asiana crash, so I can rip their head off and beat the stupid out of them with it.

I love how it was literally the pilot's explanation. Look at this poo poo:

quote:

In his post-crash interview with the safety board investigators, Lee Kang Kuk suggested he was reluctant to initiate an emergency “go around” in deference to the instructor pilot monitoring his handling of the flight, Capt. Lee Jungmin. The instructor pilot, also referred to as the “pilot monitoring,” or PM, was senior to the trainee pilot. In an exchange that illustrates a possible language barrier between the Korean pilot and the accident investigators, he tried to explain why it was “a hard thing” for him to take control of the plane for the “go around” even as the crash was near:

… Normally only in our Korean culture, the one step higher level, the final decision people, he did, he decide the going-around thing. It’s very important thing. As a first officer or the low level people, they dare to think about the go around thing. It’s very hard.

Q. (Investigator): In your mind, then, and I don’t want to put words in your mouth, you tell me, did you feel that as the pilot in the left seat flying the airplane that you had the authority to do, commence a go around yourself?

A. (Lee Kang Kuk): Go around thing. That is very important thing. But the instructor pilot got the authority. Even I am on the left seat [in the command pilot's position], that is very hard to explain, that is our culture. …

Lee Kang Kuk told investigators he was briefly blinded by an unidentified bright light in front of the plane as it neared the runway. That prompted investigators to ask in a follow-up interview whether he wore sunglasses in the cockpit. Lee told the investigators no, “because it would have been considered impolite for him to wear them when he was flying with his PM. He said it was very important in their culture.”

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Phanatic posted:

What's blowing my mind is how scared this guy was to fly a visual approach in broad daylight and unlimited visibility.

If "exactly controlling the descent profile and the lateral profile" in near-perfect weather is "very stressful" for you, you shouldn't be in the seat. Any seat.

Children of the Magenta Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rYX-Jn6o8

Many airlines in the far east have strict policies regarding usage of automation, that is, it is to be used at all times. Autopilot is switched on during climb and is left in place until ground roll. Reliance on automation leads to dependence on automation, and you have a crew that slams a perfectly good airplane onto an appropriate runway in beautiful weather.

Polymerized Cum fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 19, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did anyone ever link the cockpit audio transcript? Theres actually extensive "why aren't you wearing sunglasses" discussion. http://dms.ntsb.gov/public%2F55000-55499%2F55433%2F544904.pdf

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Apropos of nothing, I finally bit the bullet and grabbed MS Flight Simulator X. I've never played it, and the closest I've come to doing so is Sturmovik IL2 and War Thunder. My nearly four-year-old daughter is sitting on my lap at my desk while the game installs, and a slide of an MD-80 comes up. Daughter yells "MAD DOG!" I'm like, "You want to fly a Mad Dog, Bug?" She replies, "Yeah! I wanna fly a Mad Dog right now!" Fatherhood owns, y'all.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb question: have we covered why MD-80s are nicknamed 'mad dog?'

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I thought it was just a cutsey name based on the MD acronym. MD=Mad Dog.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I thought it was just a cutsey name based on the MD acronym. MD=Mad Dog.

What a wasted opportunity: "my dong", "monkey dong", "mucho dong", "maximum dong", "muzzled dong", the possibilities were endless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MEGADONG 5000

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Multiple Dicks

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

McDongnell-Dickless

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Might Die

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

EightBit posted:

Isn't part of the training for large birds like that being able to calculate and carry out a glideslope for landing without the aids? :psyduck:

Although the ILS was down, there was still a set of PAPI lights next to the runway which would have told the crew whether they were on, above, or below the glideslope, so there was no reason for them to have hit that seawall.

Admittedly, visual approaches and landings can be more difficult in something like a 777 compared to a small aircraft (due to limited cockpit visibility, higher speeds, and the cockpit being well above the ground), but there are thousands of visual approaches done by large aircraft in the US every day without crashing into something, so the Asiana accident was just a failure of basic airmanship and CRM by everyone in the cockpit.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Polymerized Cum posted:

Many airlines in the far east have strict policies regarding usage of automation, that is, it is to be used at all times. Autopilot is switched on during climb and is left in place until ground roll. Reliance on automation leads to dependence on automation, and you have a crew that slams a perfectly good airplane onto an appropriate runway in beautiful weather.

I instruct foreign students from a certain country (:china: ) and it never ceases to amaze me how much they insist on using GPS and autopilot. The best part is how I've been reprimanded a few times for chastising them on automation management :cripes:

...then again, there has been some vindication in having a couple DPEs comment that my students handled GPS and AP failures pretty well :smug:

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

MD-80, view from 32F.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shavnir posted:

MD-80, view from 32F.

That brings back memories. Used to ride in those on Alaska between ONT and SEA. That seat has got to be a violation of the Geneva conventions.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The only time I got airsick in an airliner was in that row, middle seat, going into LAS on a Summer day. I think there was a lav or galley wall in front of it, too.

WestJet painted a plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGzaDexRYE

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Shavnir posted:

MD-80, view from 32F.
I've had that seat before. ugghhhhh that's such a lovely seat. Only seat worse is 32E. That poor poor motherfucker.

BTW, gently caress USAir for taking seat assignments for decent seats well in advance, and then cancelling them without notice and SURPRISE! when you show up, all the government travelers have been moved to the last two rows. Seriously, WTF?? Man, that was like 5 years ago, and I'm still pissed about it.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 20, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So where do they paint planes anyhow? Do they do it themselves?

Also, at times I wish this was true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SkoJy3D0M

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

So where do they paint planes anyhow? Do they do it themselves?

Also, at times I wish this was true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SkoJy3D0M

Planes get painted all over the place. Back when USAir bought America West, most of AWE's airplanes came to Miami, and got painted by Commercial Jet. Some airlines do em in-house, some don't.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Although the ILS was down, there was still a set of PAPI lights next to the runway which would have told the crew whether they were on, above, or below the glideslope, so there was no reason for them to have hit that seawall.

Admittedly, visual approaches and landings can be more difficult in something like a 777 compared to a small aircraft (due to limited cockpit visibility, higher speeds, and the cockpit being well above the ground), but there are thousands of visual approaches done by large aircraft in the US every day without crashing into something, so the Asiana accident was just a failure of basic airmanship and CRM by everyone in the cockpit.
They were on the glideslope until they lost so much airspeed the aircraft actually started losing lift. You see, big airliners have this thing where you make a visual approach and you keep the runway in the same spot in the window while bleeding speed, and if nobody is watching the speedo you will likely not notice until the PAPI starts turning red and the shakers go off because you have several factors conspiring against you if you are not experienced enough to catch them:

-The pitch increasing opposes the somatogravic illusion of deceleration,
-The stall buffet doesn't come in way past the point where the shakers go off, and is masked by the flap and gear buffets (and possibly low level turbulence as well),
-Because you are in a large aircraft with thick sound insulation you are also insulated from the aural cue of the aerodynamic noise fading away as the airspeed drops off.
-Because the elevator control force is scheduled with airspeed, the controls get lighter as you decelerate, psychologically masking the increase in elevator deflection as you have to pull up more to stay on the glide.

So literally all of your senses are being cuddled to sleep and the picture still looks right until it is too late. You now suddenly find yourself with an extremely draggy aircraft on the wrong side of the drag curve at high AOA close to the ground, and the massive engines in flight idle. Even if they had configured earlier and encountered the shakers earlier this is an extremely hard place to get out of below 500 feet.

e: I guess the moral of the story is WATCH YOUR loving AIRSPEED

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 20, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

They were on the glideslope until they lost so much airspeed the aircraft actually started losing lift. You see, big airliners have this thing where you make a visual approach and you keep the runway in the same spot in the window while bleeding speed, and if nobody is watching the speedo you will likely not notice until the PAPI starts turning red and the shakers go off because you have several factors conspiring against you if you are not experienced enough to catch them:

-The pitch increasing opposes the somatogravic illusion of deceleration,
-The stall buffet doesn't come in way past the point where the shakers go off, and is masked by the flap and gear buffets (and possibly low level turbulence as well),
-Because you are in a large aircraft with thick sound insulation you are also insulated from the aural cue of the aerodynamic noise fading away as the airspeed drops off.
-Because the elevator control force is scheduled with airspeed, the controls get lighter as you decelerate, psychologically masking the increase in elevator deflection as you have to pull up more to stay on the glide.

So literally all of your senses are being cuddled to sleep and the picture still looks right until it is too late. You now suddenly find yourself with an extremely draggy aircraft on the wrong side of the drag curve at high AOA close to the ground, and the massive engines in flight idle. Even if they had configured earlier and encountered the shakers earlier this is an extremely hard place to get out of below 500 feet.

e: I guess the moral of the story is WATCH YOUR loving AIRSPEED

Morale of the story is jfc what the gently caress is wrong with Asiana's CRM training. Lets go to the tape!

Asiana 214 CVR posted:

CAM-1
{this should be a bit high}
11:24:58.9 HOT-2
{do you mean it's too high?}
11:24:59.6 HOT-1
11:25:02.0 CAM-2
{I will descend more.}
11:26:01.1 HOT-2
flaps (twenty).
11:26:02.2 CAM-1
flaps five ahh.
11:26:04.9 CAM-1
flaps twenty.
11:26:05.9 CAM-2
yeah.
11:26:12.6 CAM-2
flaps thirty.
11:26:14.8 CAM-1
speed check flaps thirty (sir).
11:26:15.1 HOT-1
check.
11:26:21.2 HOT-1
{* * speed. speed one three seven.* * one thousand speed. speed one three seven.}
11:26:21.2 CAM-1
speed * *.
11:26:24.6 CAM
[sound of click]
11:26:27.6 CAM
[sound of click]
11:26:28.3 CAM-1
flaps thirty.
11:26:29.5 HOT-2
* sir *.
11:26:32.5 CAM-1
flight director.
11:26:34.0 CAM-2
check.
11:26:35.7 CAM-1
speed.
11:26:36.8 CAM-2
target speed one three seven.
11:26:40.4 CAM-2
flight director off.
11:26:41.3 CAM-1
okay.
11:26:43.4 CAM
[sound of knock]
11:26:44.0 CAM-1
{it's high.}
11:26:52.2 CAM-1
one thousand.
11:26:58.6 CAM-3
sink rate sir.
11:26:59.1 HOT-2
yes sir.
11:26:59.5 RDO-1
tower Asiana two one four short final.
11:27:05.1 CAM-3
sink rate sir.
11:27:06.1 HOT-1
cleared to land {?}
11:27:07.3 CAM-?
{(sink rate.)}
HOT-1
on glide path sir.
11:27:21.2 CAM-2
check.
11:27:32.3 CAM
two hundred. [electronic voice]
11:27:33.6 CAM-1
{it's low.}
11:27:34.8 CAM-2
yeah.
11:27:36.0 HOT-?
11:27:38.2 CAM
[sound similar to electronic seat adjustment]
11:27:39.3 CAM
[sound of quadruple chime]
11:27:41.6 CAM
one hundred. [electronic voice]
11:27:42.8 CAM-1
speed.
11:27:44.0 CAM-?
speed * *.
11:27:45.8 CAM
fifty. [electronic voice]
11:27:46.4 CAM
[sound similar to stick shaker lasting for approximately 2.24 seconds]
11:27:46.6 CAM
forty. [electronic voice]
11:27:47.3 CAM
thirty. [electronic voice]
11:27:47.8 HOT-1
oh # go around.
11:27:48.6 CAM
twenty. [electronic voice]
11:27:49.5 HOT-2
go around.
CAM
ten. [electronic voice]
11:27:50.3 HOT-?
oh.
11:27:50.3 CAM
[sound similar to impact]
11:27:51.9 HOT
[sound similar to telephone dial tone]
11:27:54.3 CAM
11:27:55.4 INT-?
ah what's happening over there?
11:27:55.9 CAM
11:27:57.8 CAM
11:28:00.2 CAM
{sound of quadruple chime]

Someone in that cockpit was yelling about sink rate and air speed for some time before the crash*. This is Tenerife level poo poo.

*NTSB confirms crew member's name as "Wi Tu Slo"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm not a pilot, so can someone explain what the gently caress this means?

quote:

11:27:51.9 HOT
[sound similar to telephone dial tone]

Did the impact knocks a phone off the hook or something?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

hobbesmaster posted:

Morale of the story is jfc what the gently caress is wrong with Asiana's CRM training. Lets go to the tape!

Someone in that cockpit was yelling about sink rate and air speed for some time before the crash*. This is Tenerife level poo poo.

*NTSB confirms crew member's name as "Wi Tu Slo"

I know I am dreaming, but I really hope this sparks an FAA audit and a reduction of Korea to FAA CAT 2 standards.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not a pilot, so can someone explain what the gently caress this means?

Did the impact knocks a phone off the hook or something?
C-chord announcing they are approaching or moving away from the altitude selected on the MCP (likely 0 feet as they were mis-using FLCH mode)

VVVV- I have no idea, I'm not familiar enough with the 777 to know. High pitched chimes are usually the master caution, but I think it's better to wait for Linedance to "chime" in with a respone.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 20, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

C-chord announcing they are approaching or moving away from the altitude selected on the MCP (likely 0 feet as they were mis-using FLCH mode)

And for completeness sake, whats the quadruple chime?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Sounds like the MCP was set to 3000 actually since he disconnected as the plane tried to climb.

I think the door is a quad chime, most others are a high-low.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Looks like a A380 but with the cockpit in the right position.

From a recent trip, they really do look like some sort of mutated Superguppy from the front:

Bonjour...

Of course, due to a 'computer issue,' Air France was unable to load both decks simultaneously. Took nearly two hours to load the plane :suicide:

Should have gone with the classic option...

Really should have dumped Air France entirely and gone with a real airline...:france:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've got a family member flying on a dash-8 in the near future. When they arrive do I offer condolences or grumble jealously?

I haven't been on one yet, though I think I've been on almost everything else Bombardier makes these days. I could write a doctoral dissertation on the CRJ passenger experience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Psion posted:

I've got a family member flying on a dash-8 in the near future. When they arrive do I offer condolences or grumble jealously?

I haven't been on one yet, though I think I've been on almost everything else Bombardier makes these days. I could write a doctoral dissertation on the CRJ passenger experience.

A Dash-8 100 or a Q400? Because there's a world of difference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

Just like the CRJ - the originals are miserable, the stretches are ok.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

A Dash-8 100 or a Q400? Because there's a world of difference.

Q400, should've specified.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Psion posted:

Q400, should've specified.

It's ok, unless they're really tall. Can't really complain about the Q400, personally.

The 100 though, gently caress that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also, while looking at Q400 stuff, I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmixuzWFxc

this guy apparently sits outside the fence at Toronto-Pearson (e: not Calgary, durf) and takes videos, but he also patches in the tower radio. It's surprisingly awesome, though I'm not sure I'll watch it for all 75 minutes.

That A340-600 really is ridiculously long.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 21, 2013