Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yoshimo posted:

Grand, cheers! He's got the Beginner Set and the Core Rulebook as far as I know, I'd imagine he'll be picking up the screen pretty soon.

If he's already got the Beginner Set, he can skimp by with only the included set of dice. That said, I've seen rolls requiring 3 Yellow or 2 Red come up fairly often, so he'll either have to keep a running tally or shell out for a stand-alone dice set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

That's all you really need to get started, yeah. The GM screen can be handy, but if your friend is just going to be a player, he obviously doesn't need one. FakeEdit: your post does say running; so yeah, here's a recommend for a GM screen, but its by no means necessary.

All the other content out at this point is just supplement stuff. There's an adventure module and a Explorer career supplement out so far.

I would say the GM screen is super-awesome. The first thing I did was make photocopies of the two outside panels, "How to spend Advantage/Despair" and hand them out to players. It's a page/chart they'll reference more than anything else, and I cannot recommend the GM screen enough for having tons of pertinent info like that in the same place.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

There are also free fan-made charts that cover again the uses of the skills and their governing attributes -- for me, that would have been handier than some of the charts on the screen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

There are also free fan-made charts that cover again the uses of the skills and their governing attributes -- for me, that would have been handier than some of the charts on the screen.

Yeah, there are two things missing from the GM screen that I think really need to be there "What can I use Destiny on" and "List of skills and their corresponding attributes"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies for the double post, but it's a completely new thought:

Ran my first non-beginner box IRL session last night, and I'm using Beyond the Rim. My players declined to ask Reom anything beyond "where are we going?" and "how much are we getting paid?". No negotiations, no asking to look over the message pod themselves, nothing.

Is there anything I as a GM can be doing to signal to my players that they don't have to take everything the NPCs say at face value? And that since this is a very narrative system that they can try to do just about anything they want and I can find a way to roll with it?

Or should I just have the party's lack of information about the mission come back and bite them in the rear end and see where it goes from there?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Maybe drop clues that they should have asked. For example maybe they're warned that this Reom can't be trusted by another NPC. Note that I haven't read the adventure you're referencing. And in terms of encouraging player creativity ask a lot of "what do you do" or "what do you want to do" combined with a lot of "how do you do it" or "what do you say", and base the rolls you ask for out of their "how" description. The more you ask them to describe how and then base rolls off of that, the more you signal that the mechanical bits follow the narrative bits.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Just talk to the players. Ask them if they just weren't interested in the scene and wanted to move on, or if they honestly didn't realize that they were allowed to push against the rails. Maybe they've been conditioned by railroady games to just nod their head while the NPC plotdumps. Just talk about what you and they are each expecting from the scene.

This really isn't a problem that needs social engineering to fix.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Ran my first non-beginner box IRL session last night, and I'm using Beyond the Rim. My players declined to ask Reom anything beyond "where are we going?" and "how much are we getting paid?". No negotiations, no asking to look over the message pod themselves, nothing.

Is there anything I as a GM can be doing to signal to my players that they don't have to take everything the NPCs say at face value? And that since this is a very narrative system that they can try to do just about anything they want and I can find a way to roll with it?

Or should I just have the party's lack of information about the mission come back and bite them in the rear end and see where it goes from there?

Mine did exactly the same thing. After they arrived at Cholganna, I told them that they missed a LOT of info by not grilling him, and began to be much more thorough in questioning NPCs. They didn't realize there was more to be gained by being more thorough, is all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think a lot of the problem is that of my 3 players, only 1 has done a whole lot of RPing before, and of the other two, FATE and Fiasco are the only games they've played a whole lot of, which means they're used to just 'having a conversation' rather than 'roll charm' or 'make a computers check'.

I'm hoping once we move to the "explore the Wheel" phase next session, they'll open up a bit more. Beyond the Rim is the first adventure of this party, so quite a bit of session 1 was spend in the reception area of Reom's office as the PCs all got to know each other. (Including a delightful little exchange between my wife's bounty hunter character and the social-rights-activist Wookiee that one of our housemates is playing).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Well, if it's the opposite problem and they're in the just having a conversation mode without thinking of rolls, the easy solution just to prompt for rolls more. Like, at points in the conversation interrupt and say "he might know more but you'll have to feed him a line and make a roll".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4547

quote:

The Jewel of Yavin was slated from the beginning to be a thrilling, action-packed jewel heist, a sort of “Ocean’s 11 meets Star Wars”. What better place to set the stage for a high-stakes caper than the Cloud City on Bespin?

:allears:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Since it isn't mentioned in the OP and only bandied about in the first few pages, has a good set of online tools cropped up for playing this RPG? I would be very interested to try and run this for some friends that are geographically scattered, so good online tools are a must.

Edit: Any reason to buy the Beginner Game and not just go straight to the Core Rules?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 16, 2013

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Nope. Just don't forget to pick up some dice as well. They don't come with the core book.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love this game dearly. Wonderful :allears:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since it isn't mentioned in the OP and only bandied about in the first few pages, has a good set of online tools cropped up for playing this RPG? I would be very interested to try and run this for some friends that are geographically scattered, so good online tools are a must.

Edit: Any reason to buy the Beginner Game and not just go straight to the Core Rules?

The beginner game has dice and some nicely made tokens if you're into tokens. Otherwise no, just grab a set of dice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

This sounds wonderful. I was really hoping for the next career supplement to be announced, but I'll take a pre-made heist adventure. I also remember reading one of the young adult Star Wars books that featured the Jedi kids going corusca gem mining in Yavin, so the plot itself is hitting some nostalgia triggers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

It does come with an introductory adventure (different from the one in the Core book). There are Edge of the Empire dice tools that can be used with Roll20/Google Hangouts, and there are some "character builders" that people have done in Excel.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Me & my crew from college play on Roll20. It works great. I can even hook you up with media for it if you want (maps, map parts, etc.)

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
The Dice App is actually a load of fun! I was expecting it to be awful and unwieldy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

alg posted:

Me & my crew from college play on Roll20. It works great. I can even hook you up with media for it if you want (maps, map parts, etc.)

That would be awesome. monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

edit:

homullus posted:

It does come with an introductory adventure (different from the one in the Core book). There are Edge of the Empire dice tools that can be used with Roll20/Google Hangouts, and there are some "character builders" that people have done in Excel.

Yes I could use Google, but do you happen to have links?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Indolent Bastard posted:

That would be awesome. monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

edit:

Yes I could use Google, but do you happen to have links?

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89135-another-character-generator/

That's my favorite character builder app. It's full of "refer to page XX of the Core Rulebook" stuff to avoid running afoul of copyright infringement, but there's robust tools for editing everything and adding new things, so even if the designer never updates it again (and he totally will, he's working on an Age of Rebellion Beta and Enter the Unknown update right now) you can add in stuff as it comes out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I used that with my crew. I added talent info from the Core rulebook so they wouldn't have to flip through stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint is that it comes standard pre-loaded with all the stuff from the Unofficial Species Menagerie, which is all well and good, but I prefer to play fairly stock RAW, so I had to delete all those files out. (Not that that was a major hardship or anything, just a little quibble)

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

jivjov posted:

I like to 'punish' my players by making sure there are repercussions for doing or not doing things.

For example - Trex (from the beginner book) has been a thorn in their side ever since they almost murdered him and stole his ship. They also cost him his arm in 'long arm of the hutt' (irony!). So when he showed up on their space station with his crew of burglars/slicers, they managed to take him alive and put him in a jail cell while his crew escaped - then forgot about him the next session and went adventuring on another planet. They hadn't even finished exploring their newly-taken station, so when they got back after a few sessions they discovered he had escaped. Now they are *much* more careful about searching areas and locking people up properly.

Or when they finally realized someone had planted a tracking device on their ship and ambushed them, they now search the ship for devices almost every time they dock somewhere. Unfortunately they only ever check the outside of the ship, and have yet to discover the bomb Trex planted in their hyperdrive when he escaped. It has yet to go off, but I'm sure it will happen when they're near some dangerous planet.

Most recently they left their base, this time with a station crew, but it was entirely undefended (after they had previously fought off pirates). They arrived back in-system and saw the pirates were attacking their base again. They've vowed to upgrade their base's defenses and hired a security chief. I mean, he's secretly an imperial agent sent to spy on them, but since they never once interrogated or even really questioned him or his background, that's on them.

You don't need to 'actually' punish them - I think of their mistakes as my opportunities to put really fun twists into the game. This works great in the obligation system. In the end, my goal is to leave them kicking themselves for missing something or forgetting things, instead of being frustrated with me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hopefully picking the core book up after christmas, but I've had a chance to page through it. Are there any other books out that add to the player species list? Or is it just the 8(?) available in the core book?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The latest Book Enter the Unknown added a few races.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kingtheninja posted:

Hopefully picking the core book up after christmas, but I've had a chance to page through it. Are there any other books out that add to the player species list? Or is it just the 8(?) available in the core book?

The Age of Rebellion Beta adds Gran, Duros, Ithorians, Mon Cals and Sullustians and the Enter the Unknown Explorer book adds Chiss, Duros (Yep, shared with AoR), and Toydarians.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I had no idea that anyone, ever, wanted to play as a Toydarian.

I'd definitely play a Mon Calamari though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I had no idea that anyone, ever, wanted to play as a Toydarian.

I'd definitely play a Mon Calamari though.

If you're looking to munchkin the system, Toydarians are immune to mind control and can fly, so there is that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So what's the general thought on the Jewel of Yavin? It looks like a pretty bad rear end adventure set in cloud city.

It's nice their combining adventure books and location guides. I hope the artwork lives up to Beyond the Rim

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 21, 2013

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I will be picking it up as soon as it comes out. Judging by the demand from previous EotE recruiting threads, I'll probably run a play by post game of it here.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Would someone who has the Beginner Set please kindly tell me what the Race/Career/Specialties of the 4 starting characters are?

edit - the FFG Support page seems to include 2 more characters, a Human Technician and a Human Explorer.

edit 2 - I found them, if anyone's interested:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Edge_of_the_Empire_Beginner_Game

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 2, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has anyone made, or found a good template for styling custom adventures like they are in the books?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm going to start a game of this tomorrow so I've been reading Mustache Ride's PBP to get a handle on the rules. I saw one thing that confused me. In this post, a player rolls a force die alongside his roll. Why did he do this? The destiny points section of the rulebook makes no mention I can see of rolling force die. Near as I can tell, they're only used at the start of the session and to power force powers, which this isn't.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm going to start a game of this tomorrow so I've been reading Mustache Ride's PBP to get a handle on the rules. I saw one thing that confused me. In this post, a player rolls a force die alongside his roll. Why did he do this? The destiny points section of the rulebook makes no mention I can see of rolling force die. Near as I can tell, they're only used at the start of the session and to power force powers, which this isn't.
The reason why you are confused is that for some reason that is a proficiency die. Scroll a bit downward and you can tell its a d12.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah he wasn't supposed to roll a force dice there.

The system works by every character and the GM rolling a force dice at the beginning of the session. The results are the accumulated force pool, both light side and dark depending on the roll.

A character can then declare they want to spend a force point (if they have enough light side points in the accumulated pool) to modify their dice or do something fantastic (depending on how lenient the GM is it can be interpreted differently or just read out of the book) and that force point changes from light to dark.

A GM can also spend a dark side point to do something and that point changes from dark to light.

I'm not really utilizing this system too much in my game because it's hard to deal with in a pbp environment, but it does work really well in my home game.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MadScientistWorking posted:

The reason why you are confused is that for some reason that is a proficiency die. Scroll a bit downward and you can tell its a d12.

So he rolled the wrong die? Used a destiny point to upgrade an ability die to proficiency but rolled a force die instead?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Clanpot Shake posted:

So he rolled the wrong die? Used a destiny point to upgrade an ability die to proficiency but rolled a force die instead?
I'm being an idiot and though the force die was a d20 for some stupid reason. Yup he just used the wrong die.

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm not really utilizing this system too much in my game because it's hard to deal with in a pbp environment, but it does work really well in my home game.
The way you are supposed to run it though makes it seem like a play by post would slow the game down enough to make it easier to parse the die rolls.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting this from something I said in the OOC thread of MustacheRide's PbP, it could lead to some interesting discussion:

My one complaint with this system is that character creation in general, and spending XP properly specifically, seems to be a bit too fiddly. Keeping track of what is and isn't a career skill, how much XP you have to spend to raise those types...I dunno, as streamlined as the rest of the system is, that just seems a bit too clunky to me.

It's honestly why I've used nothing but character generators for this game from day one. At first it was a super cool but really complicated Excel spreadsheet, then some guy on FFG's forums made a super-easy-to-edit generator program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

In my home game we actually found its a lot easier to track XP if you don't use the default character sheet but uses something that will show what is and isn't a class skill, and that had the basic leveling guide at the bottom.

In non rules chat, my group finished Beyond the Rim last night, and the empire killed so many of the Isotech guys that they got to keep the Correllian blockade runner. However I played up the 'stolen from CorSec angle so they would treat it as a home base more than a capital ship.

They were excited.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2014

• Locked thread