Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Bean posted:

Daaaang, okay, so, who wants spoilers?

According to this page, there's a new baddie coming called April Derp. I bet that name will change. Wasn't April immune to Krang water, though? Maybe she'll just be a clone. I have trouble getting the pictures to load on that page, so if you can tolerate tumblr, you can also see the picture here.

What the gently caress is that? :stare:

For all the comedy on this series, is one of the most hosed up version of the turtles that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Wow, that is something. Maybe Mutagen Man will get April DNA in him.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Turtles return April 2nd. Nick posted this promo:

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-season-2-premise-trailer-february-2-11-nhd17930-01.html?xid=TMNTtw

... I think it's more a season preview than an episode preview, though. Who loves Casey's mask?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bean posted:

Turtles return April 2nd. Nick posted this promo:

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-season-2-premise-trailer-february-2-11-nhd17930-01.html?xid=TMNTtw

... I think it's more a season preview than an episode preview, though. Who loves Casey's mask?

Did you mean February 2nd, or did Nickelodeon change it in the last minute?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Feb 2nd., 11am.

You just missed it.

It was alright, not the best episode ever but had some good fight scenes.

E: oh and irma had half a minute of screentime

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 2, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That was the BEST episode to come back with :allears: Casey and Raph are so :krad:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I really enjoyed the episode, especially towards the end with Casey being introduced to the turtles. And to Splinter. (To be fair though, the regular rats on this show do look kind of weird.)

Not sure how I feel about Goth Irma, but I've grown to love the redesigns for everyone else (with the exception of Rat King) so I'll give her a chance.

Alien Sex Manual fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 3, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I really enjoyed the episode, especially towards the end with Casey being introduced to the turtles. And to Splinter. (To be fair though, the regular rats on this show do look kind of weird.)

Not sure how I feel about Goth Irma, but I've grown to love the redesigns for everyone else (with the exception of Rat King) so I'll give her a chance.

Rat King is awesome :colbert:

That episode was really something. Casey's a great character, and his crime fighting duds look all kinds of rad. And that chase scene :all ears:
Exactly why I love this show so much.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

horriblePencilist posted:

Rat King is awesome :colbert:

No, he is a generic zombie dude in generic Halloween clothing. He does not look awesome.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

No, he is a generic zombie dude in generic Halloween clothing. He does not look awesome.

Most of the designs on this show are really lame. Like dogpound, squirrel aliens, the fish guy. Was really glad they ditched DP for Rahzar even if he kinda looks like a purple pizza monster.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Toadsniff posted:

Most of the designs on this show are really lame. Like dogpound, squirrel aliens, the fish guy. Was really glad they ditched DP for Rahzar even if he kinda looks like a purple pizza monster.

Xever is far from a lame design. Ridiculous, but not lame. Bradford would look cool now if it weren't for the utter lack of flesh holding his legs and pelvis together.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I really like Xever and Dogpound's (old) design, but stuff like the Squirrelanoids or Razhar just seem like Giger lite to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seeing Raph and Casey getting on together so well by the end is great, but it does kind of make me wish each of the other 3 guys had someone they got on that well with - especially Donatello. He needs a science buddy he can geek out with.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

tsob posted:

Seeing Raph and Casey getting on together so well by the end is great, but it does kind of make me wish each of the other 3 guys had someone they got on that well with - especially Donatello. He needs a science buddy he can geek out with.

I'm sure they'll come up with something. The TMNT universe has no shortage of characters to pull in.

The writers really seemed to have the movies in mind this season, ton of references to both. I'm waiting for the alphabet insult competition between Donny and Casey.

Also, Casey's gear has some touches I'm sure everyone noticed:

There was also one on Mutagen Man's voicebox.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I hadn't noticed them actually, thanks though. On the other hand, I'm wondering what's written on the sign board outside April's school. Doesn't even look like English.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tsob posted:

I hadn't noticed them actually, thanks though. On the other hand, I'm wondering what's written on the sign board outside April's school. Doesn't even look like English.

"Aut Disce, Aut Discede" ("Either Learn or Leave"). Apparently it's the motto of quite a few schools. :v:

My favourite background detail this episode was the shop sign "Dim Sum And Then Sum"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Mikey needs a Clunk. Hey, they did their version of the Raphael micro-series in this episode, we've gotten the Leonardo micro-series callback (IIRC), so may as well have Michelangelo micro-series shoutout at this rate.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Aut Disce, Aut Discede" ("Either Learn or Leave"). Apparently it's the motto of quite a few schools. :v:

My favourite background detail this episode was the shop sign "Dim Sum And Then Sum"

I really dig Futur-Toid Electronics that's in that one street chase scene they always use. It's across an alley from Mad Wax Records, which I also really like.

There's a Second Time About that's right next to April's apartment now, for the movie reference.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 8, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I'm sure they'll come up with something. The TMNT universe has no shortage of characters to pull in.

The writers really seemed to have the movies in mind this season, ton of references to both. I'm waiting for the alphabet insult competition between Donny and Casey.

Also, Casey's gear has some touches I'm sure everyone noticed:

There was also one on Mutagen Man's voicebox.

I only noted East-men, so this is pretty neat!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Mikey needs a Clunk. Hey, they did their version of the Raphael micro-series in this episode, we've gotten the Leonardo micro-series callback (IIRC), so may as well have Michelangelo micro-series shoutout at this rate.

Woody getting in the series would make my year. :allears:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

He's got a romantic pest doctor look to him, which goes hand in hand with the rats, that's why I liked him. v:shobon:v

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I like Casey's self image issues and "War Journal". I take it everyone caught his drawing of 80s slasher-movie Casey standing over original comics Raph.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

horriblePencilist posted:

He's got a romantic pest doctor look to him, which goes hand in hand with the rats, that's why I liked him. v:shobon:v

You should like him because he's voiced by Re-Animator. :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mostly liked the Rat King because it was a Splinter-heavy episode and Splinter is awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just marathoned the entire series so far and I love it. Absolutely hooked.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Just watched the Casey episode. Kinda crazy how much this feels like a pilot.

I patiently await Triceratons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rhyno posted:

I just marathoned the entire series so far and I love it. Absolutely hooked.

How did you react to the Pulverizer Returns

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rita Repulsa posted:

How did you react to the Pulverizer Returns

His mutation was not the most pleasant thing I have seen. No sir.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Edit: My phone saved a post and uploaded it twice, I guess.

Any more information on that derpy April? I'm guessing it will be another Timothy/Pulverizer/Mutagen Man episode.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 11, 2014

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Any more information on that derpy April? I'm guessing it will be another Timothy/Pulverizer/Mutagen Man episode.

If you haven't caught up on the series, don't read this. Derpy April appeared in the last episode as a defunct clone of April.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Whoops. Thought I had caught up after watching the Casey episode. Anyway, …

I'm at odds with myself over this show. Some of it is great. There's stuff like the April clone freaking out, kicking rear end, and then dissolving followed immediately by a quick back and forth about how tofu bacon tastes. Then there's the whole reason April is being targeted. She's some kind of centuries-long eugenics experiment with Kraang DNA that gives her lame psychic powers. But, I guess that's no better or worse than her being revealed as a living drawing in Mirage v4.

Kurtzman's business card is insane. I tried going to KraangSleuth.com, but there's nothing there.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ok I saw my little brother watching this earlier and I gotta say what the hell is with this show.
I kind of expected this show to be sorta like Teen titans so I never really watched it, but i'm seeing this episode where April became a silent hill monster. :stare:

Has it always been like this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
April Derp is more of an Illbleed Monster than a Silent Hill monster

...it's on and off, this season has a lot more gross mutants because that's the theme for it.

Is Kurtzman an established TMNT character from some other continuity? The name and his plot sound really familiar.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So what you're telling me is that April's mom isn't a Neutrino? I was assuming that was gonna be the big twist for a long time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

So what you're telling me is that April's mom isn't a Neutrino? I was assuming that was gonna be the big twist for a long time.

Hey, what if they stack the plot twist with what you thought was going to be the plot twist? That way April would be A half-human, half-neutrino and half-krang mutant

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Didn't Adventure Time take a bunch of heat for having a character named Derpy or something?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I've been marathoning though this show and I really like it! Despite some problems, such as with pacing and animation, this show really can stand on it's own just though the fun interaction between the characters, and the body horror is cool, I hope they stick with that and ramp it up in the future.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

Is Kurtzman an established TMNT character from some other continuity? The name and his plot sound really familiar.

Not that I'm aware of, I'm pretty sure he's all new, unless there's something from another animated series I've forgotten.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't Adventure Time take a bunch of heat for having a character named Derpy or something?

My Little Pony did.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Rita Repulsa posted:

April Derp is more of an Illbleed Monster than a Silent Hill monster

...it's on and off, this season has a lot more gross mutants because that's the theme for it.

You're probably thinking of Alex Kurtzman who wrote Transformers, and Michael Bay is producing the new TMNT movie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inkspot posted:

Then there's the whole reason April is being targeted. She's some kind of centuries-long eugenics experiment with Kraang DNA that gives her lame psychic powers. But, I guess that's no better or worse than her being revealed as a living drawing in Mirage v4.

Seems fine to me. They've been building up to it for nearly a full season at this stage, it makes sense within the context of the show and can help speed up her progress as an action character without completely negating all the training the Turtles themselves have been putting in for years. I loved seeing just how far off them she was this episode by the way. Very fun. Also, it's nice to see them get another new ally. I just wish they'd come across another properly mutated by Kraang goo mutant who isn't mindless or evil. Would be nice to see one of them turn in to an occasionally recurring ally. Pete, Leatherhead and April now all kind of count, but Pete's useless in a fight and has yet to reappear, Leatherhead fought them more than he fought the Kraang and was written out and April doesn't really look or feel like a mutant despite the revelation.

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like they've kind of forgotten about clearing up all the remaining Kraang canisters that got dropped around the city? It seems like ages since they mentioned it. I know the hiatus is probably making it feel longer than it actually has been, and I certainly don't mind that every episode isn't a canister of the week hunt episode - it just feels kind of weird for them to not be mentioning or bothered about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I binged everything up until the Slash episode, watched the Casey one Monday, and the April one last night, and I still forgot that there are canisters of mutagen all over NYC. Ugh.

April's progress has been slow, which is why it's been enjoyable, and this episode was one of the strongest yet. Of course she's going to become a functioning teammate. Why wouldn't she? The way they went about it just makes her a little Venus-y to me. April's now officially Team Girl like Jean Grey or Jenny from Bucky O'Hare, with all the nonsense that entails.

If it's handled well, the idea could be cool. TMNT is a franchise that rediscovers a lot of the same beats through the different versions, and a lot of the fun is guessing how the new interpretations will work themselves out compared to the previous ones. Still, it makes me nervous.

If nothing else, there's always the IDW book, plus quite a few things I haven't seen, like the Red Sky episodes, to look for.

• Locked thread