Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Haha, it looks like a deep fried donut.

Seriously though these chicks never get a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Probably the only food I wouldn't try is that Eskimo thing that's a seal carcass stuffed with birds and allowed to ferment.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

I have three foods to share with you today from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Firstly, biltong: Nobody knows why its called that. Its a salt-dried meat, something like a very high quality coriander seed flavoured jerky, but a lot drier. Its either served sliced from a slab of biltong that was once a fillet, or in a dried sausage form. Due to the fact that it looks like bark, is dried raw meat, and is typically not packaged at all, foreigners have a hard time dealing with it.

Biltong, ready to be sliced. The seam of fat along the side is DELICIOUS.

Droewors (dried sausage)

Secondly, bunny chow: Nobody knows why its called that. Its half a loaf of white bread, hollowed out and filled with curry. Usually, the curry is a generic north Indian lamb, chicken or sugar beans curry. The insides of the bread are put on top.

or to the side, if you're some sort of idiot.
There is no way to eat it cleanly, or with utensils. Once you start on a bunny, you are committed for the next half hour.

Thirdly, the Wonder Why from Akhalwaya's. This isn't a local speciality, so much as one restaurant franchise going mad. Akhalwaya's makes Indian fast food. Kind of. Click for Menu. They make very, very good fries, and these fries find their way into the sandwiches, subs, burgers and pizzas, bringing with them spices, cheese and every other ingredient in the kitchen. To illustrate this, here is one of their more popular pizzas, the Wonder Why (nobody knows why its called that).

It has all the ingredients of a normal pizza, but includes: fries, steak pieces, two kinds of sausage I am sure don't exist overseas, mayonaisse, tomato ketchup

It is astonishingly dense. They are only around 25cm in diameter, but one person cannot finish it. You will try though.

barcoded has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

barcoded posted:

I have three foods to share with you today from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Firstly, biltong: Nobody knows why its called that. Its a salt-dried meat, something like a very high quality coriander seed flavoured jerky, but a lot drier. Its either served sliced from a slab of biltong that was once a fillet, or in a dried sausage form. Due to the fact that it looks like bark, is dried raw meat, and is typically not packaged at all, foreigners have a hard time dealing with it.

Biltong, ready to be sliced. The seam of fat along the side is DELICIOUS.

Am I missing something here? Isn't this just jerky? :confused:

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Am I missing something here? Isn't this just jerky? :confused:

I've only had jerky once, but it seems biltong is better quality (its a delicacy here rather than a crappy snack), drier, and has a much more pronounced coriander flavour. Maybe the jerky I had was just lovely though, so who knows?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, all three of those look pretty tasty to me. The bunny thing looks messy but not disgusting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

barcoded posted:

mayonaisse,
What is mayo like in South Africa? Is it bland generic American-style cream of eggfat, or more like Japanese mayo, sweet and runny? Something else entirely?

barcoded posted:

I've only had jerky once, but it seems biltong is better quality (its a delicacy here rather than a crappy snack), drier, and has a much more pronounced coriander flavour. Maybe the jerky I had was just lovely though, so who knows?

Some jerky in the US is also high quality - generally, you have to buy it from specialty shops (or goons) or butchers who also make jerky, however. The stuff you find in plastic 4oz bags at every store? Yeah, that's garbage, little more than umami cardboard.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

rofl flocka flame posted:

Ah, balut. It's got that crunch that I'm just not into.

Ever had dinuguan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinuguan)? It's like a blood chowder. I grew up eating this, but it wasn't my favorite dish. It had a chalky aftertaste that I'm pretty sure was from the combination of the pig's blood marinade and the intestine cooked in it. I didn't bother to ask if the intestines were cleaned out.

One of the best things I have had in a Chinese restaurant in the US was Szechuan stew made with blood, tofu and intesting. First time I kind of ordered it on a dare, but turned out it was amazingly delicious! Blood cubes had the same density as the tofu, and the intestine slices were tender but chewy in a good way. Szechuan seasoning with lots of chilies and Szechuan pepper. :yum:

Pic from a GIS

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I don't really have any ethical problems with eating meat, but this is just showing off.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What is mayo like in South Africa? Is it bland generic American-style cream of eggfat, or more like Japanese mayo, sweet and runny? Something else entirely?

Usually quite tangy, but not sweet - we get Japanese mayo here, and its very different from ours. The favourite is Crosse and Blackwell, which is very vinegar/mustard-y, and quite runny.

Personally I prefer Hellmann's real mayo, making me a heretic.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

I don't really have any ethical problems with eating meat, but this is just showing off.

I dunno about the 'blinded' bird thing, that sounds like its some kind of scarey ritual. Duck fetus is a very regular part of Filipino diet though, I've seen them in pack lunches and whatnot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baldbeard posted:

I dunno about the 'blinded' bird thing, that sounds like its some kind of scarey ritual. Duck fetus is a very regular part of Filipino diet though, I've seen them in pack lunches and whatnot.

If I remember right the entire cloth over your head in a darkened room thing is so that you can hide your shame from God. :v:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

If I remember right the entire cloth over your head in a darkened room thing is so that you can hide your shame from God. :v:

Okay, that's pretty awesome though.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So here's Jeremy Clarkson eating the ortolan in case people want to see more of this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYy7xoz0FZo

Quality is poo poo though.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Some jerky in the US is also high quality - generally, you have to buy it from specialty shops (or goons) or butchers who also make jerky, however. The stuff you find in plastic 4oz bags at every store? Yeah, that's garbage, little more than umami cardboard.

If you are going to try quality jerky, give a try to Big John's Beef Jerky. Good enough for me to import it from the US. Expensive but every single person that I have shared it with is hooked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TerryLennox posted:

If you are going to try quality jerky, give a try to Big John's Beef Jerky. Good enough for me to import it from the US. Expensive but every single person that I have shared it with is hooked.

I personally like my home-made jerky the best of all that I've tried. I just buy skirt/flank steak when it's on sale. It gets marinated for 24 hours, then about six hours on a smoker at about 160-210 degrees. Dehydrator also works.

I grew up in East Germany and there was one thing in particular that I never could stomach: Grobe Leberwurst, or rough-ground liverwurst.
I like the fine ground stuff just fine, it's delicious on fresh bread. But the rough grind, blegh. You get these big chunks that take a LOT of chewing.

Pic:

And then there's blood wurst, or Lose Wurst (loose wurst) or most aptly, Tote Oma (Dead Grandma).

That one actually tastes pretty good, but the concept and visuals are a bit difficult.

Touching on something mentioned earlier in the thread: Mett (raw ground beef or pork) is something that was common-place when I grew up, and it still is pretty popular. Mix it with a raw egg, put it on a fresh roll, sprinkle salt & pepper and onions on it - loving delicious.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Touching on something mentioned earlier in the thread: Mett (raw ground beef or pork) is something that was common-place when I grew up, and it still is pretty popular. Mix it with a raw egg, put it on a fresh roll, sprinkle salt & pepper and onions on it - loving delicious.

Raw pork and raw egg. They were trying to die of everything.

edit: blah blah, yes I know it's possible to not murder yourself from that, but it's a bit more effort than cooking it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mett is amazing :colbert:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

RosaParksOfDip posted:

edit: blah blah, yes I know it's possible to not murder yourself from that, but it's a bit more effort than cooking it.

Filet américain which is raw beef, egg, worcestershire sauce, capers and mayo is basically one of the national dish in Belgium. You find it everywhere from restaurants to sandwiches.

Personally I prefer the tartare version, I usually go raw beef with pesto and parmesan or with foie gras and figs

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

TotalLossBrain posted:

And then there's blood wurst, or Lose Wurst (loose wurst) or most aptly, Tote Oma (Dead Grandma).

Laffing at Tote Oma!

In Sweden, the custard that goes on some pastries is informally known as mormorshosta (Grannie's cough)

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

RosaParksOfDip posted:

From what I've seen from hanging out in GWS either Americans are taught to be extremely panicky about food safety or your food is just less safe than ours.

I made home-made filet américain with frites for an American friend one time and he put it in his mouth like it was a live granade or something. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the fresh mayo he was shovelling into his face involved raw eggs :mmmhmm:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PiratePing posted:

From what I've seen from hanging out in GWS either Americans are taught to be extremely panicky about food safety or your food is just less safe than ours.

I made home-made filet américain with frites for an American friend one time and he put it in his mouth like it was a live granade or something. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the fresh mayo he was shovelling into his face involved raw eggs :mmmhmm:

It pretty much says it all when there are Americans who say they love sushi, but only when it doesn't have raw fish.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

It pretty much says it all when there are Americans who say they love sushi, but only when it doesn't have raw fish.

Or when they say they like cheese but it's actually gooey milk proteins processed in a sterile environment.

Basically, besides alcohol, if it's fermented, it's bad. (It's really too bad because they are so many delicious fermented food, and it's actually what humans have been eating for a very long time).

Edit; also for god's sake stop dunking your chicken in chlorine.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
"Looks fine, smells fine, tastes fine" has never steered me wrong. Mother Nature gifted us with in-built sensors for a reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thing is, with fermented food the definition of "smells fine" gets muddy real fast.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

PiratePing posted:

Well,if you went to my country you would probably avoid all of that. We are aware of the conditions of everything so you end being an idiot if you eat any meat raw. (I survived Mexican steak tartare! Delicious, but never again, I don't want to die making GBS threads blood).

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

PiratePing posted:

It's both. Industrial cattle farming is filthy, in response people overcook stuff and we have ultra-pasteurize eggs and milk. We're also terrible homecooks, and a lot of people's only reference for food comes from horrible meals their mothers have made.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Lonely Virgil posted:

It's both. Industrial cattle farming is filthy, in response people overcook stuff and we have ultra-pasteurize eggs and milk. We're also terrible homecooks, and a lot of people's only reference for food comes from horrible meals their mothers have made.

Anything from the 50's to the 70's American cookbooks are insane. Just go and look at the Betty Crocker cookbooks from back in the day and all of them look like this. It's the weirdest food you can imagine. My mom claims its because suburban, white women didn't have any sort of 'ethnic' ingredients, like say, riccotta cheese, so lasagnas were made with things like ketchup and cottage cheese. It's disgusting.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

PiratePing posted:

It's completely true to some degree. I was raised in a Sicilian family and when I got older and started spending more time at American family friend's houses I was appalled by how panicky they were with food safety. Left a gallon of milk out on the counter for 2 hours? Toss it. Little bit of mold on a piece of cheese? Toss the whole block. Meat starting to brown? Dump it. Don't eat that cookie dough, it will kill you! Are those eggs a bit runny? What are you doing!~

Meanwhile back at home I was simply 'cutting around" worms found in fruit and eating the rest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Anything from the 50's to the 70's American cookbooks are insane. Just go and look at the Betty Crocker cookbooks from back in the day and all of them look like this. It's the weirdest food you can imagine. My mom claims its because suburban, white women didn't have any sort of 'ethnic' ingredients, like say, riccotta cheese, so lasagnas were made with things like ketchup and cottage cheese. It's disgusting.

I wanted to say you were full of poo poo, but then I remembered my father saying spaghetti wasn't commonly eaten when he was young. He also told me he remembered the very first Chinese restaurant being opened in his mid-sized town. For reference, I'm Flemish. It's really amazing how much things have changed since the sixties.

It still doesn't excuse those abominations, though. I'm not familiar with traditional American cuisine, but I'm pretty sure they didn't need to resort to that. It's probably a case of aesthetics and status temporarily winning out over taste.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I wanted to say you were full of poo poo, but then I remembered my father saying spaghetti wasn't commonly eaten when he was young. He also told me he remembered the very first Chinese restaurant being opened in his mid-sized town. For reference, I'm Flemish. It's really amazing how much things have changed since the sixties.

It still doesn't excuse those abominations, though. I'm not familiar with traditional American cuisine, but I'm pretty sure they didn't need to resort to that. It's probably a case of aesthetics and status temporarily winning out over taste.

Hahaha "traditional American cuisine."

It's meat. It's just a lot of meat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The actual ingredients that were available to them presumably weren't that different from what they had in, say, France. It's just that they apparently lacked the culinary tradition to do anything interesting with it. I would say it's not so much a 'white' thing as it is a Protestant thing. In Europe, the Dutch are also known for their poo poo food (and love of peanut butter).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

PiratePing posted:

"Looks fine, smells fine, tastes fine" has never steered me wrong. Mother Nature gifted us with in-built sensors for a reason.

Generally, yeah. Unless I know it's undercooked or something. My immune system is kinda shot, so I have to be careful what I eat.

Though, there is a large emphasis on food safety in America. I suspect it's because of things like contaminated meat getting churned out a lot and recalls of contaminated meat being voluntary. Reading a story about someone's kid who died in agony as his kidneys shut down and he couldn't even drink water because of some bad hamburger is pretty horrifying. It basically pulls a lot of responsibility off the companies that sell this food.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The US actually has a pretty strong culinary tradition (well, more like lots of vaguely related regional traditions owing to the fact that the US is the size of europe), a lot of it is modified versions of foods brought over by immigrants but a lot is home grown too. Unfortunately a ton of it went out the window once convenience foods came on the scene.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Back in in the late 50's the BBC ran a fake news reel for April Fool's on the spaghetti harvest shortage in Switzerland. They had people inquiring how they could grow their own spaghetti tree.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Phlegmish posted:

There's a part of Goodfellas that kind of touches on this, where the guy is in FBI protection and asks for spaghetti and gets egg noodles with ketchup. Basically, in America in the 50s-60s, if you weren't 'white', your food wasn't readily available to the public/suburban America.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Lonely Virgil posted:

Back in in the late 50's the BBC ran a fake news reel for April Fool's on the spaghetti harvest shortage in Switzerland. They had people inquiring how they could grow their own spaghetti tree.

Holy poo poo I remember watching this in my Ethnic Studies class. Martha Stewart also did a thing where she put actual spaghetti in a spaghetti squash to gently caress with people on April Fools. She also did "How to Pour a Perfect Glass of Water."

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Lonely Virgil posted:

Looks familiar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Hahaha "traditional American cuisine."

It's meat. It's just a lot of meat.

Applebee's and Red Robin. That's as traditional American as it gets, and its all borderline garbage.

There are incredibly great regional cuisines, like Creole, Southern style, BBQ, New England seafood, etc. But there will never be an American-style restaurant in other countries that is anything more then a joke or a local curiosity. The only exception is a American Steakhouse, which seems to be fairly popular theme but heavily depends on the quality of the meat being served.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

American cuisine you say? Bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with mac&cheese. :911:

• Locked thread