Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
GoH is Enchantment 6 in Dom4, not Enchantment 5.

The go-to way to heal afflictions for single units now though, is to empower them in Blood and cast the new self-healing blood spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

GoH is Enchantment 6 in Dom4, not Enchantment 5.

The go-to way to heal afflictions for single units now though, is to empower them in Blood and cast the new self-healing blood spell.
Am I right in thinking that Feebleminded units can't empower without instantly losing the paths they'd have gained?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jBrereton posted:

Am I right in thinking that Feebleminded units can't empower without instantly losing the paths they'd have gained?

Correct, and Mute units will have to empower up to level 4 in order to cast it. Usually better to hope for Gift of Health or just kill the Feebleminded.

If it's your Pretender, most afflictions get 'healed' when they're Called back.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Correct, and Mute units will have to empower up to level 4 in order to cast it.
Not 3, with how Dominions rounding works?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
He last 4 assassinations until a Reanimated Prince took him out. He kept spamming smite and got one lucky hit in before my guy could chop him down. Is Smite resisted by MR?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

He last 4 assassinations until a Reanimated Prince took him out. He kept spamming smite and got one lucky hit in before my guy could chop him down. Is Smite resisted by MR?
Yes.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
By far the best item to give an assassin is a skull talisman. const 0, and lets him summon an endless stream of skeletons. This will pretty much guarantee a win unless you die before your first action, or if they summon bigger/better stuff before they fatigue out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The new Acorns item is actually pretty swish for that, too. Summons 3 Vine Men at the start of the battle.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Barono posted:

By far the best item to give an assassin is a skull talisman. const 0, and lets him summon an endless stream of skeletons. This will pretty much guarantee a win unless you die before your first action, or if they summon bigger/better stuff before they fatigue out.

This can sometimes fail against water mages, as they will cast frozen heart which the skeletons are immune to and your assassin is not.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Completed my LA Man game and am happy with it. I see some flaws with it so I think I should do another SP game before I venture online.

As such I wanted to change up my nations and try my luck underwater. I was thinking MA R'yleth for unleashing waves of horrible monsters on my enemies.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm thinking that my pretender just sit back at the capital and research/forge/summon/ritual cast.

Are their blessed units any good or should I just concentrate on chaff, the mages and the summoned unspeakable evil that serve them?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Completed my LA Man game and am happy with it. I see some flaws with it so I think I should do another SP game before I venture online.

As such I wanted to change up my nations and try my luck underwater. I was thinking MA R'yleth for unleashing waves of horrible monsters on my enemies.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm thinking that my pretender just sit back at the capital and research/forge/summon/ritual cast.

Are their blessed units any good or should I just concentrate on chaff, the mages and the summoned unspeakable evil that serve them?

Their only blessed units are void summons and their priests so bless isn't viable unless you are playing some kind of (horrible) gimmick strategy. Really your best two options are an awake rainbow of some variety, definitely with death, an awake SC or some kind of combination of the two. If you are the only water nation either a full rainbow archmage with everything but S and B or some other chassis with a few critical paths that you want to develop is probably best. For scales order3 cold3 and sloth3 are a given and magic is definitely a good idea since the bulk of your mages will be starchildren who would benefit. If you get the Archmage, an amulet of the fish is needed to get out of the ocean so if you are stuck in a smaller sea with a diplomatically established land chunk, I'd probably get const4 first since rushes aren't a problem. Do *not* send him out alone above the waves with an air neighbor as they will seeking arrow his fragile rear end. Try to search up a dribble of all the gemtypes before settling down to forge/casting duties. With const6 he can make rune smashers assuming you took at least one point in FWD (you did right?) and that is pretty big for R'lyeh. Can also be done at const4 if you took the necessary fire to do it without a booster. Const6 also lets you make water bottles for your starchildren so it should be a research goal regardless. A bottle turns them into extremely mean assassins as with S1 they can body ethereal their water elemental if needed and follow with starfire spam. Depending on your foe it may also be necessary to drop some kind of elemental resist ring on them, which you should be able to if needed.

That said it's much harder to make the nation work now that their best mage is cap only str and all you can recruit everywhere else are starchildren and an overpriced H2 priest with 1S 1?EWSD. Research some evo and thau which will both let you build effective communions and mind hunt/vengeance of the dead. Blobs of mindblasters with chaff backed by mages are pretty much your only thing above the seas early and everyone knows it so expect to face lots and lots of archers and poo poo like blade wind. Try to avoid fighting nations with these things. Pick on giant nations if possible. You need to get a bit of land, either diplomatically or by taking a chunk off of someone weak. Your coastal forts generate freespawn and still allow starchildren recruitment so they are worth having as you will go through a lot of chaff.

You should definitely gently caress the world with things like burden of time and armageddon as they will hurt everyone else more than you unless there is a good diplomatic reason not to. Your early expansion will probably be slow and if you just pout in the ocean you will suffer standard water nation irrelevancy so engage diplomatically and take part in coalitions so no one runs away with the game until you can get the necessary research to make R'lyeh a force to be reckoned with.

EDIT: Expand with crab hybrids underwater. You can make mindblasters later but with the starting gold the hybrids are better unless you are expanding to land on T2.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 21, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah crab hybrids are great, just try not to buy a lot more than you need to control the oceans:they're useless if you don't need to defend sea provinces

A good way to discard income eating aquatic troops is to give a starspawn some leadership gear and have it gateway everyone into a land province with a lab, but you need to own a land province with a lab first

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm, Demon do you think that all awake SC pretenders should have B2 then? I think that wouldn't be too bad actually.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

amuayse posted:

Hmm, Demon do you think that all awake SC pretenders should have B2 then? I think that wouldn't be too bad actually.

That is a huge investment of points and almost definitely not worth it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Nah, just empower. Buy slaves from a blood nation via trade if you can't blood hunt.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
So I got this game and am trying out LA Marignon because I find demon worshipping pseudo-catholics thematically interesting. And this is what I dreamed up after looking at all the spells and such for a bit.

Pretender
Dormant Baphomet with B6S6F4E2, O3P3H3G1M1D1, Dom8
I took a Baphomet because it innately has blood, astral and fire. With B6S6 and it's 2 misc slots I should be able to raise both of those paths to 8 via boosters, allowing me to cast all the high end blood and astral spells (excluding wish) such as lords of hell, my national angel summons and the arcane nexus. E2 I took for devil knights, crystal coins and the earth boosters to boot some of my earth random goetic adepts up that path. I upped the F2 to F4 because I had points left over, and hey also fire helmets for my dudes.

I took high order because my things are expensive, high prod because I have pretty much no low prod troops except for flagellants, and a bit of growth because of my blood hunting. Heat, misfortune and drain to balance the scales.

Early Expansion
Spam crossbows with pike screens. That's pretty much it.

Research targets in no particular order
Evo3 for arcane probing, Evo4 for holy pyre, later shoot for fire storms and pillars of fire.

All of the blood for the cool summons.

Conjuration for elemental fire kings and also angels.

Enchantment for flaming arrows, Heat from Hell, fire domes and arcane nexus.

A bit of thaum for augury.

Construction for gear and also boosters.

So yeah. How dumb of a plan is this exactly? Am I overlooking something obvious? Is it unrealistic to have so many high level research targets, and should I only shoot for one or two of them? Any general tips? The only exposure that I've ever had to the series in the past are a couple LPs I glanced over, and it probably shows.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's actually really solid. I'm somewhat surprised you're able to buy so many paths & neutral scales with only a Dormant pretender. But I guess an immobile chassis has to be good for something.

With Mari's H2 & H3 inquisitors, you don't have to really worry about Dom strength, since they count as H4/H6 when preaching against enemy dom. So unless you're looking to field a lot of flagellants (don't), you could probably drop to dom7 (or even dom6) and get slightly better scales.

With your research, would go Ench first for arrows, then look at who you're fighting an what you need. All of those are good targets to have in mind, but you need to be able to adapt.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I wish I could design pretenders that good :v:. I'm in a LA Mari game and I just got a S9 fountain for boosters. I do have slightly better scales but it's not really worth it.

One thing you should know that I only just discovered is that you can only recruit chartmakers in coastal forts.

For MP I'd say you should be most careful of BoT and bless rushes. Definitely go Ench first for flaming arrows and dispel (and possibly GoH).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If you've just discovered that, I think I'll repeat this once more because it is a strange thing in this day and age to even have a manual:

They've been updating the manual from it's initial sorry state on release. Now the main part of the manual includes national bestiaries, including things like coastal only recruits for Mari, and capitol and cave troops like Agartha. This is incredibly handy, and I can't believe I entered an MP game without noticing that update.

My plan for a pretender and research goals in Flute (as MA C'tis) was a lot simpler, more wasteful, and somewhat failed.

I had an N9 dragon, for Mother Oak (on the theory that it'd help my dispel chances against Asphodel), Nature Bless, didn't make it to Mother Oak first. The N paths will certainly come in handy someday, the bless helps (but could be easily emulated by my mages more or less), and I underestimated how awesome other nation's sacred troops were (mine are useful, but that's about it).

Diplomacy and my Miasma helped save my bacon, but in reality, I wish I had your sort of plan going in. I had multiple reasons for various choices I made, but I didn't extract much value out of that like I would have gotten from a forging pretender, or a simpler dragon+scales or wyrm.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Absum posted:

For MP I'd say you should be most careful of BoT and bless rushes. Definitely go Ench first for flaming arrows and dispel (and possibly GoH).
Who're you casting GoH with, exactly?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LA Mari gets fire gems from its capital site right?

Wonder how a build to leverage soul contracts would work? Imagine, endless hordes of devils led by fallen angels...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

LA Mari gets fire gems from its capital site right?
1 Fire Gem, 1 Air Gem, 2 Pearls.

Absum
May 28, 2013

LordSloth posted:

If you've just discovered that, I think I'll repeat this once more because it is a strange thing in this day and age to even have a manual:

They've been updating the manual from it's initial sorry state on release. Now the main part of the manual includes national bestiaries, including things like coastal only recruits for Mari, and capitol and cave troops like Agartha. This is incredibly handy, and I can't believe I entered an MP game without noticing that update.

I didn't know they'd been updating it, thanks :).

jBrereton posted:

Who're you casting GoH with, exactly?

No one in this case, but it's still really useful for Mari so I just thought I'd mention it as well. You are going to need Ench 5 relatively soon either way if Lemuria is in the game so you can dispel BoT.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Absum posted:

No one in this case, but it's still really useful for Mari so I just thought I'd mention it as well. You are going to need Ench 5 relatively soon either way if Lemuria is in the game so you can dispel BoT.
They'll just keep casting it until finished off, like Ermor. However, their armies are utter garbage, even more than Ermor, so they can get killed off in the first couple of years, hopefully before they cast it even once (BoT really does need to go to like Thuam 7 at least, if not 8, though).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Will boots of youth negate the effect of burden of time?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't believe so.

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Burden_of_Time

For D3, but I don't expect that much has changed.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Thanks for the advice and also for stroking my ego. Research priorities are probably my weakest point atm, since I have trouble figuring out which of the cool stuff I should have first.

The thing about flaming arrows for instance, is that only around 50% of my old age StR goetic masters can cast it reliably (3F guys with phoenix power, 2F1S guys with power of the spheres and phoenix power). With flame helmets I could make all my masters and my fire random adepts cast it. But flame helmets are const4. And those cost fire gems and I really should have augury for that. So yeah. I really don't want to make more masters than I need to because they take long to recruit and I'm afraid that they all will die on my hands when the year rolls over. I should probably just bite the bullet and make a few so that I can cast flaming arrows relatively quickly, however.

Didn't even think about taking low dom and then preaching with inquisitors. On the other hand, I am loathe to spend fort time on preachers because of precious research. Besides, since this approach lowers my research, wouldn't it make more sense to keep my drain scale and highish dom? After all, they accomplish pretty much the same thing (adequate dom spread with slightly decreased research), except one approach has more micromanagement than the other. Now granted, inquisitors would be pretty good to have in case of undead and demons, but how often are these even a concern if lemuria isn't around?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Theantero posted:

undead and demons, but how often are these even a concern if lemuria isn't around?

C'tis says hi.
Actually they say 'Skeletons'

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

Thanks for the advice and also for stroking my ego. Research priorities are probably my weakest point atm, since I have trouble figuring out which of the cool stuff I should have first.

The thing about flaming arrows for instance, is that only around 50% of my old age StR goetic masters can cast it reliably (3F guys with phoenix power, 2F1S guys with power of the spheres and phoenix power). With flame helmets I could make all my masters and my fire random adepts cast it. But flame helmets are const4. And those cost fire gems and I really should have augury for that. So yeah. I really don't want to make more masters than I need to because they take long to recruit and I'm afraid that they all will die on my hands when the year rolls over. I should probably just bite the bullet and make a few so that I can cast flaming arrows relatively quickly, however.

Didn't even think about taking low dom and then preaching with inquisitors. On the other hand, I am loathe to spend fort time on preachers because of precious research. Besides, since this approach lowers my research, wouldn't it make more sense to keep my drain scale and highish dom? After all, they accomplish pretty much the same thing (adequate dom spread with slightly decreased research), except one approach has more micromanagement than the other. Now granted, inquisitors would be pretty good to have in case of undead and demons, but how often are these even a concern if lemuria isn't around?

What you are forgetting is that mages can spend extra gems to boost their path level. So a F3 goetic master can cast it first turn with 2 gems, one to boost to F4 for that spell, and the other to actually cast it. This also means that all your F2 mages can cast it turn 2, phoenix power then 2 gems to cast it. This makes it much more available, and flaming arrows is good enough you need that availability.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Fire in a Jar is also con 2 and only requires 1 fire to make, giving you a free temporary gem each battle to keep the costs down; use it 5 times and its paid for itself, every gem you use after that to boost and\or cast flaming arrows is pure profit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neruz posted:

C'tis says hi.
Actually they say 'Skeletons'

No, they say "tomb chariots, millions of them"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

No, they say "tomb chariots, millions of them"

Skeletons riding chariots pulled by skeletons. Sounds like skeletons to me.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

nothing to seehere posted:

mages can spend extra gems to boost their path level.

See that is something that I didn't know. Everything is much simpler now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Theantero posted:

See that is something that I didn't know. Everything is much simpler now.

Note that mages can only ever spend up to their current path level in gems on a spell.

Casting flaming arrows with an F3 (1 gem to boost, 1 to cast) works. Same mage cannot cast something like firestorm though which requires real F5 at the minimum in order to pay the 5 gems involved with the base cast.

Absum
May 28, 2013

According to the (dom3) wiki you can't use blood slaves this way though, does anyone know if that's correct?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I've been going through the mod forums and am having trouble finding poo poo - is there a mod that just makes all spells available as if researched and/or free? I would love to be able to test all the spells out for shits and giggles.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

I've been going through the mod forums and am having trouble finding poo poo - is there a mod that just makes all spells available as if researched and/or free? I would love to be able to test all the spells out for shits and giggles.
Yeah, the Debug mod.

Link: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod

Also gives you S1 access to one-gem wish, full map vision, and a summoned X9 in all paths teleporting, stealthy, full-slotted caster with a huge percentage forge bonus called a Debug Sensei.

iluv
Dec 4, 2006

cutthroats 9
I know Abysia is one of the underpowered nations in the game but surely it is not unplayable right?

What would be good pretender designs/starting game turns strategies for a newbie starting with Abysia (EA)?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I know that since they're immune to fire, they can sync pretty well with a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm not sure the slow, plodding infantry of Abysia would ever be at risk of being hit by the breath of their flying dragon pretender. They also already have F magic covered so taking one doesn't add anything as far as diversity goes.

• Locked thread