Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ehud posted:

what is an intangible
The dolphins winning a super bowl in your lifetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Groucho Marxist posted:

not giving a gently caress and launching a pass into heavy coverage and getting that TD

Hmmm, so Maty Mauk #1 overall in the draft after this? I can live with that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I'd read a novel that substituted analogies and metaphors for the 2013 Oakland Raiders roster

I also offer Jamarcus Russell and Rolando McClain.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

what about derek carr

he's gonna get ruined by some team and win a superbowl ring as a backup, just like his idiot brother

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

McShay has Carr projected to the Cleveland Browns and then compared his stats to Peyton Manning.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Browns will pick either Carr or Bortles.

It is destiny.

edit: They could probably pick both!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is destiny.

Maybe they trade all their future first round picks for 5 years and select the top 7 Quarterbacks in this draft. One of them is bound to work out, right!?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is destiny.

Carr would be good, or at least fit, in a Norv Turner offense.

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze
Buffalo plays San Diego State at 5:30 PM in the Potato Bowl. If you haven't seen LB Khalil Mack play, now is your last chance prior to the Senior Bowl.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Also Derek Carr is playing a very solid USC defense at 3:30 EST on ABC

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also Derek Carr is playing a very solid USC defense at 3:30 EST on ABC

I'm not sure how much these things matter for the draft but Derek just laid a giant egg with a whole bunch of lovely inaccurate passes. He was also getting absolutely bum rushed by USC defenders all day and might have been a little shell shocked.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dusseldorf posted:

I'm not sure how much these things matter for the draft but Derek just laid a giant egg with a whole bunch of lovely inaccurate passes. He was also getting absolutely bum rushed by USC defenders all day and might have been a little shell shocked.

Given that he faced the world's most pillowy soft schedule all year long it does not exactly reflect well upon him

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Hopefully this'll mean less non-TFF Texans fans un-ironically calling for Carr at #1 overall. Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they drafted him and he absolutely busted? Woof.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Carr's story isn't over yet, there's still the Senior Bowl, Combine and workouts for him to reestablish himself as one of the top 3 QB to go off the board.

The scouts have some bad tape to evaluate now.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

bhsman posted:

Hopefully this'll mean less non-TFF Texans fans un-ironically calling for Carr at #1 overall. Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they drafted him and he absolutely busted? Woof.

Texans will draft Fales and be happy with it.

Seriously, they will. Because he's awesome.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just watched the Carr highlights for the USC game and holy hell does he look bad against a legitimate defense.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gatts posted:

Maybe they trade all their future first round picks for 5 years and select the top 7 Quarterbacks in this draft. One of them is bound to work out, right!?

Yes but only the ones they cut during training camp because God is dead

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Off an Ohio State site but still semi-credible and relevant to the draft, Taylor Lewan may have beat up some Buckeye fans on rivalry eve. Have to imagine if this pans out that he drops a couple spots from the dreaded "character concerns". Although I've always thought the dude was a major rear end in a top hat just from watching him in the Big 10 all these years.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Off an Ohio State site but still semi-credible and relevant to the draft, Taylor Lewan may have beat up some Buckeye fans on rivalry eve. Have to imagine if this pans out that he drops a couple spots from the dreaded "character concerns". Although I've always thought the dude was a major rear end in a top hat just from watching him in the Big 10 all these years.

He did a pretty horrible cheap shot a couple of weeks ago and is a sham of a OT. I don't care about his attitude problem but that guy can only maul and isn't even big enough to get away with that style of play at the next level.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Lewan is a giant rear end in a top hat, so it's probably true. But sham of an OT.. oh, ok Doltos.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

Lewan is a giant rear end in a top hat, so it's probably true. But sham of an OT.. oh, ok Doltos.

Care to explain why you don't think he's like that instead of just going oh, ok Doltos? The guy is kind of a one trick pony. He's all hands and mauling, which will make a good RT, but LT? Yeah, he's a sham as a pass protector.

So please explain instead of being passive aggressive about it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Doltos posted:

Care to explain why you don't think he's like that instead of just going oh, ok Doltos? The guy is kind of a one trick pony. He's all hands and mauling, which will make a good RT, but LT? Yeah, he's a sham as a pass protector.

So please explain instead of being passive aggressive about it.

I've seen every Michigan game (minus the bowl games) for the past few years. He hasn't given up a sack in the past two years and I can count on one hands the amount of times I've seen him beat in the past few years.

He does use his strength to his advantage, but he is also quick enough to get outside on the speed guys that he faces.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

I've seen every Michigan game (minus the bowl games) for the past few years. He hasn't given up a sack in the past two years and I can count on one hands the amount of times I've seen him beat in the past few years.

He does use his strength to his advantage, but he is also quick enough to get outside on the speed guys that he faces.

In 2012 the Wolverines were in the top 30 in least sacks given up, but that was turned around heavily this year. They eclipsed their sacks given up total by the start of November. I can't find exact stats on how many he gave up, but it's not like he's infallible. He gets crossed over easily and blown past easily, but I have a feeling that Gardner makes up for some of that, as mobile QBs often do.

Either way, I respect your opinion on Lewan and a post like that would make me much more receptive to discussing the prospect instead of you going oh, ok Doltos.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
He gave up zero, they talked about it during the Ohio State game.

Our interior line gave up a million.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

He gave up zero, they talked about it during the Ohio State game.

Our interior line gave up a million.

It's odd because Jake Long also gave up zero and they're both being compared to one another. You can see similar deficiencies in Jake Long's game but he proved a lot of people wrong and became a lockdown LT for a while in Miami. Maybe I'm just still pissed at Lewan for the face mask stunt against Michigan State.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, that was dumb. Lewan lost his cool a ton this year and I assume it's because he would do his job and the rest of the line would collapse and give up the sack or a negative run play.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doltos posted:

In 2012 the Wolverines were in the top 30 in least sacks given up, but that was turned around heavily this year. They eclipsed their sacks given up total by the start of November. I can't find exact stats on how many he gave up, but it's not like he's infallible.

Well, this tells us that you didn't actually watch a single Michigan game this year, so thanks for the key draft insight.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Well, this tells us that you didn't actually watch a single Michigan game this year, so thanks for the key draft insight.

Hmm? I watched them against Sparty, Notre Dame, and will probably be able to catch their bowl game if I'm around on Saturday night. I'm only one man and I can't watch every game ever. Most of what I say is based off of youtube snap videos.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doltos posted:

Hmm? I watched them against Sparty, Notre Dame, and will probably be able to catch their bowl game if I'm around on Saturday night. I'm only one man and I can't watch every game ever. Most of what I say is based off of youtube snap videos.

If you watched a single quarter of a Michigan game you would have seen the interior line get dominated every play and give up a million sacks. It's the biggest story around the team and has been discussed at length in every game they've played, in news articles, and in many commentaries on Lewan. To the point where Michigan has used something like 7 different starting offensive lines and played about 9 guys on the interior this year.

I'm not saying Lewan is the greatest prospect on earth, and it actually wouldn't shock me if he ended up at RT. But if you're going to make such strong statements about a guy without knowing something so basic about his performance this year you're probably going to get called out about it one man or no

edit: I mean, this was literally an offensive line-coaching staff that was so loving inept this year, that they repeatedly, in multiple games, ran a scheme where Lewan shifted inside to try and save the interior (usually ending up blocking no one) and they left a RB/FB to block the other team's DE 1 v 1 leading to about a million sacks.

I can't express how useless anything that happened this year really is in judging Lewan, other than the character concern risks which I do agree are legitimate.

This stuff just reminds me of the stupid poo poo last bowl game where people acted like Clowney dominated him for some incomprehensible reason.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 24, 2013

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Because the one play anyone remembers from that abortion of a game was Lewan whiffing and Vincent Smith getting murdered

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm not saying Lewan is the greatest prospect on earth, and it actually wouldn't shock me if he ended up at RT. But if you're going to make such strong statements about a guy without knowing something so basic about his performance this year you're probably going to get called out about it one man or no

Hey man if I could predict prospects without ever being wrong you'd be seeing me on ESPN instead of here. I make strong statements about pretty much everything, that's my M.O.. I enjoy discussing things like this because it helps me learn more about a prospect, I just dislike it when people do little jibes at me instead of talking about what I said. I'm always open for discussion and for learning new things.

Edit: that being said I still believe that he's easily beaten on a pass rush despite not giving up sacks. I've seen him get beaten multiple times in the same way, which is why I don't believe he'll be a dominant LT at the next level.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 24, 2013

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yo I don't really like him either and if Miami drafts him I'm gonna be p. mad.

Unless it's in the 20s and he's a RT then it's k

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Because the one play anyone remembers from that abortion of a game was Lewan whiffing and Vincent Smith getting murdered

Naw. No one even attempted to block him due to the TE not listening to the line call. That wasn't on Lewan.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sorry, he may not be able to pass block at a LT level in the pros, but saying that he's beaten all the time and can't do it at the college level despite giving up zero sacks in two years is so insane that I don't even know how to respond

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sorry, he may not be able to pass block at a LT level in the pros, but saying that he's beaten all the time and can't do it at the college level despite giving up zero sacks in two years is so insane that I don't even know how to respond

Did I say he can't do it at the college level?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doltos posted:

Did I say he can't do it at the college level?

Doltos posted:

Edit: that being said I still believe that he's easily beaten on a pass rush despite not giving up sacks. I've seen him get beaten multiple times in the same way, which is why I don't believe he'll be a dominant LT at the next level.

I don't know. I'm not sure how to parse "he's easily beaten on a pass rush" and "I've seen him get beaten multiple times in the same way" with "has given up zero sacks"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

There will be no impugning on Michigan Men TM in this topic, thank you

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
I hate Taylor Lewan's guts, but MdP and reg are right, he's a dominant college lineman. The rest of that line is a tire fire

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

There will be no impugning on Michigan Men TM in this topic, thank you

Lewan is actually pretty good, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't know. I'm not sure how to parse "he's easily beaten on a pass rush" and "I've seen him get beaten multiple times in the same way" with "has given up zero sacks"

Yeah I've seen him get beaten. Getting beaten doesn't always lead to a sack. I've also said he wasn't dominant on this level. I mean the only quote you could find that even sort of looks like that isn't me saying that. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

bhsman posted:

Lewan is actually pretty good, though?

I see him as RT at the next level and a mid 20's to late second round pick. There are a ton of great o-line in this draft and he's one of them, but he won't be a LT. I don't see it. Like I've said before, he's all hands and all mauling.

• Locked thread