Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I caught 5 minutes of one of those Beyblade shows and everyone looked like a Yugioh knock off and it was hard to tell just exactly how serious the show was seeing as it was about top fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just don't get how beyblade ever got popular. Its a show about loving tops, the lamest toy ever!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Me and my friend we so disappointed when we brought them. We were all hype and everything.

"LET ER RIP"

*Spins a bit, they clash, stops dead*

"....."

"Let's go play Yu-Gi-Oh"

"Ok"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The early 00s was a graveyard when it came to animation. It was all anime and poo poo like Butt Ugly Martians and Super Super Sumos and Mucha Lucha.

Speaking of, I've been re-watching Justice League and it holds up a lot better than I remembered. I don't read comics so I'm not familiar with the characters and plots it used, but it went full batshit like Solomon Grundy punching his way through Cthulhu's brain even before the Unlimited days. My only real complaint is that I don't understand why they did a half-hour format when almost every episode was a two-parter.

Later on when they did reruns on the pre-Adult Swim Saturday night block, they'd show them as hour-long episodes.

Sockser posted:

I've always been curious about the super-poo poo-tier anime that Cartoon Network would air at 6am just to see what stuck. Bedamon and Bakugan and Beyblade and there were more that didn't succeed and it was just really loving weird to me. Obviously trying to catch the magic of Pokemon but without promoting it as far as I could tell. Just put these things on in the wee hours of the morning and uhhh it happened?

I'm almost positive that they still show a lot of that dogshit anime in the early mornings, at least on Saturdays. It's not like Pokemon was ever a work of art or anything either, I'm baffled every time I see that they're still making new episodes.

The only good one was Duel Masters because for the American dub they just threw away whatever retarded plot the original show had and made up their own dialogue.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 9, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sockser posted:

And then sometimes they came back!

Is the show that bad? I know my 4 year old niece likes it - or at least did a few months ago, she may have found some new show by now. I looked it up on Wikipedia out of curiosity and it just seems like an Italian Sailor Moon. Which seems random, but if /m/ isn't lying Italy has a bit of a shine for Go Nagai stuff so there being magical girl fans there doesn't seem surprising. I tried showing her and my newphew the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few weeks ago and they only had mild interest. My niece did think the show got dark when Aang and Katara find the fire nation wreck, but did seem to enjoy other bits a bit before their attention wandered. Think it might just be better to leave that a year or two more till they're a little older. I have Phineas & Ferb lined up to show them the next time I'm visiting at least. Whoever started the season 3 thread for that by the way: thank you. Binged through all of it up to the Marvel crossover a few weeks ago and adore the poo poo out of it. The relationship between Perry and Doofenshmritz is great tv. I also liked that Candice's relationship with Jeremy progressed along a little bit every few episodes till they're dating after 2 seasons.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Is the show that bad? I know my 4 year old niece likes it - or at least did a few months ago, she may have found some new show by now. I looked it up on Wikipedia out of curiosity and it just seems like an Italian Sailor Moon. Which seems random, but if /m/ isn't lying Italy has a bit of a shine for Go Nagai stuff so there being magical girl fans there doesn't seem surprising. I tried showing her and my newphew the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few weeks ago and they only had mild interest. My niece did think the show got dark when Aang and Katara find the fire nation wreck, but did seem to enjoy other bits a bit before their attention wandered. Think it might just be better to leave that a year or two more till they're a little older. I have Phineas & Ferb lined up to show them the next time I'm visiting at least. Whoever started the season 3 thread for that by the way: thank you. Binged through all of it up to the Marvel crossover a few weeks ago and adore the poo poo out of it. The relationship between Perry and Doofenshmritz is great tv. I also liked that Candice's relationship with Jeremy progressed along a little bit every few episodes till they're dating after 2 seasons.

It's funny that you mentioned it being Italian Sailor Moon because I toyed with the idea of doing a serious TVIV thread comparing the two but realized I could never do it when half way through the second season I physically could not watch another episode without turning it off. Maybe one day I'll make a drunk angry :words: post about how bad a show Winx Club is. I think it's worse than Johnny Test at least in character writing, maybe in animation too.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Wander over Yonder's "The Little Guy" was absolutely AMAZING. It's crazy how they fit all this story and a song in just 20 minutes. Likewise, "The Box" has insanely good visuals. Such a good show. There really should be a thread for it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Neo Helbeast posted:

I think it's worse than Johnny Test at least in character writing, maybe in animation too.

That's a pretty bold accusation. Johnny Test has slipped up to the top of my hated animation charts. gently caress that show. gently caress that it's on so much. gently caress that it comes on after I'm watching good shows.

Winx Club was at least, at least from what I saw before I flipped the channel, regulated to weekends.. oh, god. It's been around since before 2005.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Seriously contemplating breaking out the Shezow pilot to make both shows look good in comparison.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Followed by Hammerman to make Shezow look acceptable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Annoying Orange instead of commercial breaks.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

readingatwork posted:

Seriously contemplating breaking out the Shezow pilot to make both shows look good in comparison.

Doodles posted:

Followed by Hammerman to make Shezow look acceptable.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I look forward to reading your suicide note.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

El Tortuga posted:

I look forward to reading your suicide note.

"His is smiling eyes watch silently from between the wretched frames."

The note is covered with blood and feces.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 19, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mother of God. There would be no survivors.

e: Seriously gently caress you for reminding me that Annoying Orange exists. People are getting paid large sums of money for it. I just can't deal with that knowledge.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
To add to the trash talk, MAD is still running after like 4 years. I can accept that poo poo like Annoying Orange and Johnny Test exists because it's cheap garbage they can churn out to fill, but MAD goes to a decent amount of effort to try out different animation styles but it can never seem to come up with material that's worth it. And when they do get one or two good jokes they're reliant on pop culture references that nobody in the target audience would get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndA69KiffJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgjXgJx02_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ciM0nCLvA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mad not being that funny and being mostly tepid parodies of pop culture that you would think kids wouldn't be watching to begin with... seems pretty appropriate to its namesake actually?

Right down to the highlight being Spy vs Spy.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To add to the trash talk, MAD is still running after like 4 years. I can accept that poo poo like Annoying Orange and Johnny Test exists because it's cheap garbage they can churn out to fill, but MAD goes to a decent amount of effort to try out different animation styles but it can never seem to come up with material that's worth it. And when they do get one or two good jokes they're reliant on pop culture references that nobody in the target audience would get.

Half the time, I have no idea what audience Mad is targeting. Some of their references are just bizarrely old for what they're doing.

Melrose Place? Why? Clay Aiken jokes? Footloose parodies? Everybody Loves Raymond? Friends? The Kardashians? It's just all over the place with little focus. They throw whatever's up against the wall and hope it sticks.

Robot Chicken does the same thing, but at least it feels like it's aimed for an older audience, so using older shows/movies makes more sense. It also has better writing and jokes.

I guess I wouldn't feel confused by it, if MAD didn't constantly tell us what a lovely show IT thinks it is. I know Mad Magazine used to do that too, but there was actually some pretty good content in there, at least, from what I remember(..From like 15 years ago? They at least had some decent artists and cartoon strips.) I haven't picked up a MAD in years. It could be different now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Does the magazine still exist? I haven't even seen a MAD in years.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
The magazine still exists. The show is a perfect adaptation of modern Mad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like to think Mad lost something when it started accepting ads. It could just be taht it happened right around the time I was at an age where Mads hmor didn't appeal to me anymore but it really did seem to go drastically downhill at that point.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think there's a portion that, while they don't recognize the reference they do recognize that a reference is being made and they enjoy that

And calling themselves bad has always been there, show or magazine. It's like a fundamental pillar of Mad

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

For some reason I decided to make "Cracked" my preferred parody magazine. Though it seems like both modern-Mad, and modern-Cracked have aged into the same hit-or-miss quality.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Isn't Cracked almost entirely lists of things on their web-page now? All I ever see of Cracked nowadays are links to "5 REASONS YOUR DOG IS MORE SEXIST THAN YOU THINK HE IS" or something.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Isn't Cracked almost entirely lists of things on their web-page now? All I ever see of Cracked nowadays are links to "5 REASONS YOUR DOG IS MORE SEXIST THAN YOU THINK HE IS" or something.

That is literally what it is now, and a few Photoshop contests. Though it's still good reading from time to time for good movie and comic trivia, and the like. It's come a long way from being the poor-man's Mad and making KKK jokes in their Casper parody.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

PicklePants posted:

Melrose Place? Why? Clay Aiken jokes? Footloose parodies? Everybody Loves Raymond? Friends? The Kardashians? It's just all over the place with little focus. They throw whatever's up against the wall and hope it sticks.

This is my absolute favorite example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoXhNcMgi0

Do they even have a target demographic? Let's make a bunch of jokes only kids will think are funny about a bunch of stuff only adults know exist, where the entire punchline rests on someone getting the reference.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-stop-marginalizing-female-viewers

According to Paul Dini, the execs were not happy with the size of the girl demo that was watching Young Justice which he claims aided in its demise :cripes:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Everything I know about the 70s comes from my dad's old MAD magazines. Parodies of Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, 2001, hippies, Nixon - it really was a ground-level window to the culture of the time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-stop-marginalizing-female-viewers

According to Paul Dini, the execs were not happy with the size of the girl demo that was watching Young Justice which he claims aided in its demise :cripes:

It's pretty much worse than that.

Dini talked about this during a recent interview with Kevin Smith on his Fatman on Batman podcast and he kind of hinted that if CN even THINKS girls are watching their shows, they'll shut it down. He said that the execs have actually said that girls should not watch CN's cartoons.

The reason being that CN thinks that girls don't buy toys and aren't worth catering to as all of CN's shows apparently MUST sell toys or they're simply not worth showing.

This makes me worry about Steven Universe if they're going to pull poo poo like that.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I would hope that CN would be a bit more "cautious" in this case because the creator of SU is a woman as well, and I believe it's their only property that has a woman at the helm. That's the potential for some backlash that I hope they wouldn't want.

On another note, I accidentally read comments on a FB post about the Hall of Game nominations and people were saying that they voted for Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Uncle Grandpa. No, you do not get to put that poo poo in the same list as the other two.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's pretty much worse than that.

Dini talked about this during a recent interview with Kevin Smith on his Fatman on Batman podcast and he kind of hinted that if CN even THINKS girls are watching their shows, they'll shut it down. He said that the execs have actually said that girls should not watch CN's cartoons.

The reason being that CN thinks that girls don't buy toys and aren't worth catering to as all of CN's shows apparently MUST sell toys or they're simply not worth showing.

This makes me worry about Steven Universe if they're going to pull poo poo like that.

That is horrifying to believe, you'd at least think they'd be trying to exploit all demographics. I never read anything about it buy did CN get a new CEO semi recently? Because I can't imagine anyone who's been there from the 90s being that shortsighted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

This is my absolute favorite example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoXhNcMgi0

Do they even have a target demographic? Let's make a bunch of jokes only kids will think are funny about a bunch of stuff only adults know exist, where the entire punchline rests on someone getting the reference.

That doesn't seem like a terrible one actually, Sesame Street has done a ton of parodies with that kind of structure. I mean, unless you know many three year olds that watch True Blood or Mad Men.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

That is horrifying to believe, you'd at least think they'd be trying to exploit all demographics. I never read anything about it buy did CN get a new CEO semi recently? Because I can't imagine anyone who's been there from the 90s being that shortsighted.

I think whoever they brought on in the last 5 years or so is/was responsible for all the lovely live-action shows they've had, because if I recall correctly that person hated cartoons. :shepface:

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

raditts posted:

I think whoever they brought on in the last 5 years or so is/was responsible for all the lovely live-action shows they've had, because if I recall correctly that person hated cartoons. :shepface:

His name is Stuart Snyder. He's been the President and CEO of Cartoon Network since the Boston Bomb Scare of 2007 caused the old CEO, Jim Staples, to resign. His idea was apparently to try and turn Cartoon Network into a general kids network, to try and compete more heavily with Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flobbster posted:

I would hope that CN would be a bit more "cautious" in this case because the creator of SU is a woman as well, and I believe it's their only property that has a woman at the helm. That's the potential for some backlash that I hope they wouldn't want.

On another note, I accidentally read comments on a FB post about the Hall of Game nominations and people were saying that they voted for Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Uncle Grandpa. No, you do not get to put that poo poo in the same list as the other two.

Too bad Uncle Grandpa owns

It's not as good as Regular Show but it still rules

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

cartoons123 posted:

His name is Stuart Snyder. He's been the President and CEO of Cartoon Network since the Boston Bomb Scare of 2007 caused the old CEO, Jim Staples, to resign. His idea was apparently to try and turn Cartoon Network into a general kids network, to try and compete more heavily with Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.

Of course the funny thing is CN was probably doing better when it was more of a Cartoon Network.

Its mostly better now that the lion's share of the Live-Action junk is gone but I can't personally watch it outside of watching Regular Show (And at that, only when there's a new episode.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flobbster posted:

Actually, according to Dini, CN wants more shows like Uncle Grandpa because, to them, that's what makes Adventure Time and Regular Show so popular...the "wackiness".

Paul Dini on Fatman on Batman posted:

"But then, there’s been this weird—there’s been a, a sudden trend in animation, with super-heroes. Like, ‘it’s too old. It’s too old for our audience, and it has to be younger. It has to be funnier.' And that's when I watch the first couple of episodes of Teen Titans Go!, it's like those are the wacky moments in the Teen Titans cartoon, without any of the more serious moments. 'Let’s just do them all fighting over pizza, or running around crazy and everything, ’cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for.’”

So, if anything, while the live-action part of CN might be gone, we'll be getting tons more shows like Uncle Grandpa.

I'm pretty sure CN really doesn't understand why people like Adventure Time or Regular Show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well Teen Titans Go is loving hilarious and worlds better than that overwrought wannabe-anime poo poo that was the '00s series, so I can't see a problem with that one.

Uncle Grandpa though, gently caress that show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Teen Titans Go is fantastic, but Teen Titans Original also owned sorry.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TwoPair posted:

Teen Titans Go is fantastic, but Teen Titans Original also owned sorry.

Agreed. They toned down a lot of the anime stuff as the seasons went on, much to it's benefit. It got really good at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cartoon Network is showing Christmas episodes of its old and current shows today, and I saw the Chowder Knishmas special. The similarities between Gazpacho and Master Shake don't end at both of them being voiced by Dana Snyder. They're both losers, it's just that Gazpacho is more honest about it.