Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They definitely didn't move. I was using a big heat gun with a blunt tip as I don't have a proper small soldering iron at my apt, left it at a buddies. I heated up the joints and saw some reflow before I added the globs :v:

E: Where are you guys looking that it appears the poles aren't touching the prongs anymore? I don't see that the orientation of the poles to the prongs has changed even in the photos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

They definitely didn't move. I was using a big heat gun with a blunt tip as I don't have a proper small soldering iron at my apt, left it at a buddies. I heated up the joints and saw some reflow before I added the globs :v:

E: Where are you guys looking that it appears the poles aren't touching the prongs anymore? I don't see that the orientation of the poles to the prongs has changed even in the photos?

I don't know what that physical connection is supposed to look like so I'll assume you're making good contact there, but the solder itself has the dull look of a cold joint in your after photo. If it gets you going, okay fine, but I'd get in there and do it with a real soldering iron at your earliest opportunity.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Midjack posted:

I don't know what that physical connection is supposed to look like so I'll assume you're making good contact there, but the solder itself has the dull look of a cold joint in your after photo. If it gets you going, okay fine, but I'd get in there and do it with a real soldering iron at your earliest opportunity.

What you're seeing in the after photo is almost entirely the brand new solder I applied. I'll have my hardware engineer friend help me redo the soldering this weekend. For now, it's installed and I couldn't replicate the issue I was having beforehand. We'll have to wait and see I suppose. I appreciate the wisdom - I don't do much soldering clearly.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Aflicted posted:

It is about like the prelude forums, s2ki, club202, vwvortex, audizine, fortitude, etc... You read the writings of the OG's and ignore 99% of the poo poo posted by the shitbags who could finally afford the vehicle on its depreciated age. I still get a bit miffed every time some young douche canoe totals out an S2000. Those are going to all be lost to assholes idolizing 2f2f but don't know who Paul Walker was. I kick myself daily for being so foolish as to vanquish mine for a measely A4. (I did like that A4, but... drat!)

G-Mach posted:

The best of kind of people are the kind that bitch about STi's being to high priced and how it's not fair that they can't get a good STi for under $8,000. Those kind of people you really don't want behind the wheel of a STi anyways through.

Class warfare ITT.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I went to a thing in hollywood put on by ESX and Subaru, and caravanned up with a couple of other Subaru guys, who were all in wrx/stis (I'm in an older legacy). Ali Afshar is standing in the center turn lane directing cars into the parking lot, lets the guy in front of me go in, tells me to hang on a minute, goes and talks to the car behind me, then comes back and directs me where to park. Turns out he had told him to wait while he got me to leave, and my friend had to point out that I was also in a subaru and part of the group.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 20, 2013

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Class warfare ITT.

I should have put that differently. It isn't so much a class of people or that those with less money are some how incapable of being able to contribute in a meaningful way. Most of the car forums I have been a part of when I owned the cars steadily declined the longer the model was out and available. Such as the Prelude forums. Most of the community that was contributing left for S2000s and the forum went to poo poo. The S2000 guys all moved on from those into other cars and the forums is mostly just poo poo posting because the search button is a foreign idea to the new community. There are wealthy guys that gently caress cars up too. I know of a 300ZX TT that is rotting with neglect for no reason other than the owner not giving a poo poo. He refuses to sell it to me every time I offer.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

G-Mach posted:

The best of kind of people are the kind that bitch about STi's being to high priced and how it's not fair that they can't get a good STi for under $8,000. Those kind of people you really don't want behind the wheel of a STi anyways through.

In Australia you'd be pushing your luck to find a not poo poo WRX for less than 8000, how loving cheap are used cars in America? :stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I went to a thing in hollywood put on by ESX and Subaru, and carpooled up with a couple of other Subaru guys, who were all in wrx/stis (I'm in an older legacy). Ali Afshar is standing in the center turn lane directing cars into the parking lot, lets the guy in front of me go in, tells me to hang on a minute, goes and talks to the car behind me, then comes back and directs me where to park. Turns out he had told him to wait while he got me to leave, and my friend had to point out that I was also in a subaru and part of the group.
That's beautiful. Please tell me you had your best :allears: expression.

Aflicted posted:

I should have put that differently. It isn't so much a class of people or that those with less money are some how incapable of being able to contribute in a meaningful way.
I got what you meant. It's sort of like how every generation of 3-series goes through the mid-life stage between "new model" and "definitely enthusiast's car" of "enthusiasts who like them for what they are mixed with twats who buy it because *~*MY BEEMER~*~ and summarily make it bloody hard work to find good, non-abused ones later".

If I'd been buying an early Impreza instead of a Hawkeye, I'd have had to look through a few very-nice-but-expensive 22Bs and P1s, the odd well-preserved RB5, and a complete fuckton of blowoff-valve-and-555-stickers, abused, worn-smooth shite with two careful owners and four twattish ones.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again, subaru owners are loving idiots.

Read into that as you will.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Slow is Fast posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, subaru owners are loving idiots.

Read into that as you will.

I think there are more NA imprezas with STI wings and WRX badges than actual WRXs in Australia.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

jamal posted:

I went to a thing in hollywood put on by ESX and Subaru, and caravanned up with a couple of other Subaru guys, who were all in wrx/stis (I'm in an older legacy). Ali Afshar is standing in the center turn lane directing cars into the parking lot, lets the guy in front of me go in, tells me to hang on a minute, goes and talks to the car behind me, then comes back and directs me where to park. Turns out he had told him to wait while he got me to leave, and my friend had to point out that I was also in a subaru and part of the group.

Hahaha Please tell me that this was the Born to Race event. :getin:

I met Ali through a couple mutual friends working production on a few projects, and can confirm, he's an elitist jackass the majority of the time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No it was way before that, like 5+ years ago. Started with free lunch at saddle ranch and then a drive to santa monica subaru, and two dumbasses managed to crash by driving like idiots on the way over.

I really never understood why Subaru keeps giving that guy money. Those esx edition cars were terrible and overpriced.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

They should frame this post in SoA headquarters. It's the essential Subaru enthusiasm experience.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
2000 Subaru 2.5rs for $1K with a broken 5MT.

Gonna go pick it up tomorrow, wish me luck!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, I ended up buying a 2014 hatchback WRX Limited in Black. Man, I love this car. Getting through the break in period so far has been torture. I have 650 more miles to go. I don't think the manual mentions taking it in for an oil change after the break in period, but I have heard some people mention that. Is it a good idea to do? I don't mind the couple extra bucks if it's not included in the 2 years of maintenance.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Internet Explorer posted:

So, I ended up buying a 2014 hatchback WRX Limited in Black. Man, I love this car. Getting through the break in period so far has been torture. I have 650 more miles to go. I don't think the manual mentions taking it in for an oil change after the break in period, but I have heard some people mention that. Is it a good idea to do? I don't mind the couple extra bucks if it's not included in the 2 years of maintenance.

The service dude who I talked to when I bought mine (who owns one himself and knows a lot about them) recommended the first oil change at 3K. It's not worth stressing out over--Subaru says 7.5K, but frankly I wouldn't trust that for any interval in a turbo car, let alone the first interval.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I also wouldn't trust any oil change place to do it right/use the correct oil weight or use a poo poo filter. Change your own oil or take it to a mechanic you trust.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Take it to the dealer to have the oil changed always. Subaru is using some crazy filters with bypass valves and whatnot and you don't always get one of those if you bring it elsewhere.

There really isn't any harm in changing your oil early. Subaru does use break-in oil, but 3k is plenty.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

daslog posted:

Take it to the dealer to have the oil changed always. Subaru is using some crazy filters with bypass valves and whatnot and you don't always get one of those if you bring it elsewhere.

There really isn't any harm in changing your oil early. Subaru does use break-in oil, but 3k is plenty.

Or you can just buy the filters from the dealer and do it yourself. It literally takes 30 mins, it's cheaper, and you know you'll do it right.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you have a new Subaru. Bring it to the dealer to do oil changes. gently caress having to fight them over warranty issues if that ever comes up.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I took my 2013 in for the first one at around 3k. They had no problem changing it before the 3750 and yes it was free as part of the 2yr maintenance. My dealer recommended that I do it at 3750 and not the 7.5k that the manual stated. I have seen, in a nasioc sticky thread I think, reference to a SoA statement recommending that interval on all turbo engines. Hilariously that does not translate to the free maintenance. I was told I would have to pay for every other oil change on the 3750 interval, so really it is half off oil changes for the first two years. Still financially worth it over doing it myself when you account for my time and the BRZ they let me drive while they have mine.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

c355n4 posted:

If you have a new Subaru. Bring it to the dealer to do oil changes. gently caress having to fight them over warranty issues if that ever comes up.

Right. It's not that you can't do it yourself, it' just not worth the hassle. There techs will also inspect the car for anything wrong at no charge. When they make a recommendation, you can just say "no thanks, not today" and do the repair yourself later.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aflicted posted:

and the BRZ they let me drive while they have mine.

Does it really take them so long to change the oil in one of their own brand new cars that they have to give a loaner?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Does it really take them so long to change the oil in one of their own brand new cars that they have to give a loaner?

A lot of dealers, subaru or otherwise, will give you a loaner so you can get on with your day and they can focus on the customers who opt to wait on their car and save yours for later in the day or overnight or whatever.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

It usually only takes an hour. I just have a good rapport with them since I have bought two cars and I get them serviced there. The sales guy just tosses me the keys to one for me to go drive around while they change my oil. It is more fun than waiting in the dealership lobby, and I get to drive other cars without buying or renting them just for funsies.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

daslog posted:

Right. It's not that you can't do it yourself, it' just not worth the hassle. There techs will also inspect the car for anything wrong at no charge. When they make a recommendation, you can just say "no thanks, not today" and do the repair yourself later.

And if it is under warranty it magically get fixed. Is the b2b on subarus as good as it was in 2005? My car got new free wiper blades like every oil change.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

nm posted:

And if it is under warranty it magically get fixed. Is the b2b on subarus as good as it was in 2005? My car got new free wiper blades like every oil change.

Yeah, you still get free wiper blades up to 3 years/36k miles.

I wish I had known about it earlier, because the wiper blades that SOA gives out are poo poo-tier. Mine are already toast after 5k miles of winter driving.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!
Update: Broken...

Threw a PO420 code which is what is was last time too

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshould Typically caused by a higher flowing aftermarket downpipe. Make sure you have a Stage 2 map reflashed to the car. Although this is disabled in the Stage 2 maps, it is possible for this code to pop up if you are running a Stage 1 reflash even with a Stage 2 realtime map over top of it. If that is the case, try reflashing the Stage 2 map to the car.

I don't have an aftermarket downpipe on the car. New symptoms - I have no boost. At all. When taking off in first it drives like I don't know how to drive stick, just bucks a lot. Second and third(if I even make it) have no power all the way up to 3-4 grand. When I give it gas it sounds absolutely loving terrible.

I flashed to Stage 1 91 Map and same thing. I tried looking to see if I could flash back to stock and I didn't see anything in the Accessport to do it.

How hosed am I?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

MasterOfDemons posted:

I flashed to Stage 1 91 Map and same thing. I tried looking to see if I could flash back to stock and I didn't see anything in the Accessport to do it.

How hosed am I?

Use the "UNINSTALL" method on the AP and it should flash back to stock.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Went after work to check out the 2.5rs. Unfortunately Triple A couldn't make it out before my friend's mechanic had to close, but I did get some further diagnosing on the trans issues.

It is definitely stuck in 5th. Strangely, you can move the shifter around to select gears 1-5 with the car off, but even selecting reverse causes the car to want to roll forward.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Yeah, you still get free wiper blades up to 3 years/36k miles.

I wish I had known about it earlier, because the wiper blades that SOA gives out are poo poo-tier. Mine are already toast after 5k miles of winter driving.

I went for the free wiper blades once. I had to wait at the dealer 45 minutes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

That is why you do it during oil changes. Every oil change.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

MasterOfDemons posted:

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshould Typically caused by a higher flowing aftermarket downpipe. Make sure you have a Stage 2 map reflashed to the car. Although this is disabled in the Stage 2 maps, it is possible for this code to pop up if you are running a Stage 1 reflash even with a Stage 2 realtime map over top of it. If that is the case, try reflashing the Stage 2 map to the car.

I don't have an aftermarket downpipe on the car. New symptoms - I have no boost. At all. When taking off in first it drives like I don't know how to drive stick, just bucks a lot. Second and third(if I even make it) have no power all the way up to 3-4 grand. When I give it gas it sounds absolutely loving terrible.

How hosed am I?

No boost means you have mechanical problems like a leak or dead turbo. Even poo poo maps have boost

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hollis Brown posted:

No boost means you have mechanical problems like a leak or dead turbo. Even poo poo maps have boost

Or it's in a limp mode with the wastegate wide open.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Or it's in a limp mode with the wastegate wide open.

Limp mode still gives boost, but only about half of normal. Also, re-flashing cures limp mode, at least for a bit.

Are you short some vacuum too? What numbers are you actually seeing? I see no boost as "barely gets over zero."

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

nm posted:

Limp mode still gives boost, but only about half of normal. Also, re-flashing cures limp mode, at least for a bit.

Are you short some vacuum too? What numbers are you actually seeing? I see no boost as "barely gets over zero."

Checked the vacuum line, uninstalled AP and flashed to normal. I get like 2 lbs of boost.

Trying to figure out how else to get out of limp mode. Any other ideas? The cars barely drivable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MasterOfDemons posted:

Checked the vacuum line, uninstalled AP and flashed to normal. I get like 2 lbs of boost.

Trying to figure out how else to get out of limp mode. Any other ideas? The cars barely drivable.

I don't think you are in limp mode. I suspect you have a massive boost (and possibly vacuum) leak somewhere or maybe a diverter valve issue.

Wastegate pressure is like 7-8lbs.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

FogHelmut posted:

I waited five minutes. I told them I'd install them myself, but they insisted on having one of the service guys do it.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

nm posted:

I don't think you are in limp mode. I suspect you have a massive boost (and possibly vacuum) leak somewhere or maybe a diverter valve issue.

Wastegate pressure is like 7-8lbs.

What's the easiest way to check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

MasterOfDemons posted:

How hosed am I?

Are you sure you don't actually have a blocked cat? That would explain the code and the lack of boost.