Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you picked up any good habits in the exercise thread and want to keep following it, it has returned home. I think it did well in here, but it was time for it to return home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Did the Korra thread have to come back. I think it fit in nicely over there

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes Korra had to come back. At least until the permanent move to the anime forum.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Aubrey Plaza is doing a bunch of movies now. I think she's the breakout star next to Chris Pratt.

She was also one of the very few good things in the second season of Legend of Korra.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Joramun posted:

She was also one of the very few good things in the second season of Legend of Korra.

Man, I thought this was a joke until I looked at the imdb page. Surely such a capable voice actress can find better work than dubbing anime on basic cable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Actors don't just wake up to bushels of money on their doorstep. Honestly, voicing anime on basic cable sounds like a pretty sweet gig if you ask me. You don't have to deal with makeup and costuming, you can probably pound through a lot of episodes worth of work in the span of a single day as opposed to a more conventional shooting schedule, and at the end of it all it's still a paycheck and an IMDB credit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Legend of Korra is a great show on paper. I'm not surprised it has Kiernan Shipka and J.K. Simmons in it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Janet Varney is also really great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aubrey Plaza put no effort into Korra IMO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, can't we get... beyond Korra?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

precision posted:

"And In that moment, I swear Korra was infinite."
--quote from the novel The Perks of Being a Waterbender

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

Look, this thread has a schedule and you know it. It's Korra chat till Tuesday, then a little bit of complaining about Chris Hardwick and then Person of Interest for the rest of the week.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Let's talk about sketch comedy. Since it's a given that Mr. Show is the greatest sketch comedy program ever produced and will never be surpassed, what do you think is its most worthy successor? The Birthday Boys? Key & Peele? Chappelle's Show? Kroll Show? Inside Amy Schumer? When I say worthy successor, I don't mean "funniest since," I mean most similar in consistency and quality.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Janet Varney is also really great.
Especially on Key & Peele.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ufarn posted:

Especially on Key & Peele.

And Burning Love.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Korra isn't an anime.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kraps posted:

Korra isn't an anime.

Man let's talk about sketch comedy!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Talking about sketch comedy would still not make Korra an anime :reject:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

Let's talk about sketch comedy. Since it's a given that Mr. Show is the greatest sketch comedy program ever produced and will never be surpassed, what do you think is its most worthy successor? The Birthday Boys? Key & Peele? Chappelle's Show? Kroll Show? Inside Amy Schumer? When I say worthy successor, I don't mean "funniest since," I mean most similar in consistency and quality.

Jon Benjamen Has a Van.

Key and Peele is good too, except for the talking portions between sketches where they explain why the coming sketch is funny. Really, though, most sketch comedy shows besides SNL and ones based on podcasts are pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

I disagree about Mr Show being the best. I think Kids in the Hall is the best sketch comedy show ever.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Korra is sketch comedy. Sleepy Hollow is an anime. Scandal is a superhero genre show. SNL is an anti-hero drama. And Parks and Recreation is a supernatural thriller.

In all honesty it would actually be kind of cool if shows did a Secret Santa genre swap at the holidays just for fun.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

... That is a brilliant idea and should happen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah I'd like to see Agents of SHIELD tackle Scifi Action/Adventure gyahahaha

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah I'd like to see Agents of SHIELD tackle Scifi Action/Adventure gyahahaha

why are you so mean

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

How is Sherlock considered a thing worth watching? Each episode is as long as a movie and it's repetitive as hell.

There's more actual plot in the 6 Fast and Furious movies than there is this garbage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've never really understood Sherlock either. Watson never gets to do anything, which I suppose is accurate to the books but does nothing to make the character interesting.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Midnight City posted:

How is Sherlock considered a thing worth watching?

Because its British and Americans are preconditioned to view anything British as 'sophisticated' even if its stupid and boring as hell.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Midnight City posted:

How is Sherlock considered a thing worth watching? Each episode is as long as a movie and it's repetitive as hell.

There's more actual plot in the 6 Fast and Furious movies than there is this garbage.

This has been your Hot Sports Take for today. Let's go to the phones.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

MrAristocrates posted:

I've never really understood Sherlock either. Watson never gets to do anything, which I suppose is accurate to the books but does nothing to make the character interesting.

This is particularly funny to me considering the way the first episode ended.

You know, with John saving Sherlock in a pretty significant and active way.

Or in the second episode of the second season where you learn that he is a hell of a shot even freaking the gently caress out.

I mean, yes, for the most part be is a stand in for the audience, be to say he doesn't do anything seems a bit of a stretch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sophia posted:

Korra is sketch comedy. Sleepy Hollow is an anime. Scandal is a superhero genre show. SNL is an anti-hero drama. And Parks and Recreation is a supernatural thriller.

In all honesty it would actually be kind of cool if shows did a Secret Santa genre swap at the holidays just for fun.

Would watch the poo poo out of this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Key and Peele is great when it's on, but some of the sketches dip to Tim and Eric levels of cringe. It's too close to call at this point.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Sophia posted:

It already is, though? :confused:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mo0 posted:

It already is, though? :confused:

More like a super villain show. Basically everybody in the cast is a bad guy. That's part of what makes it so good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Midnight City posted:

I don't think every show needs plot. I would love to watch a show just with cop banter like in Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow. You don't even need to solve crimes, just make every episode take place inside the car riding around and talking about random crap.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jesus, why is every character in The Returned such a moody, violent rear end in a top hat? I understand its a zombie show and all that, but, for God's sake, someone just loving smile and break up the oppressive dreariness of this show.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irish Joe posted:

Jesus, why is every character in The Returned such a moody, violent rear end in a top hat? I understand its a zombie show and all that, but, for God's sake, someone just loving smile and break up the oppressive dreariness of this show.

It's French.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Whoops, spoke too soon. The cannibal just had an orgasm fingering Lena's wound. Glad to see someone's having a good time.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'll be bummed if they write Rigsby and Van Pelt off The Mentalist, but I can't think of a way to make them regulars without some horrible contrivances.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Writer Cath posted:

I'll be bummed if they write Rigsby and Van Pelt off The Mentalist, but I can't think of a way to make them regulars without some horrible contrivances.

Pretty sure they already did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder that House is the best Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

• Locked thread