Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Dear Enhanced Shaders: you had one job.

For some reason ENB Series doesn't handle alpha all that well with Fallout New Vegas. It does alpha perfectly with Skyrim so I don't know what the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Woolie Wool posted:

For some reason ENB Series doesn't handle alpha all that well with Fallout New Vegas. It does alpha perfectly with Skyrim so I don't know what the problem is.

While I was trying to find a solution I got this thread on the ENB forums which states the problems are due to the hair meshes and not the ENB.

Boris posted:

Some hairs have artifacts when detailed shadows or ssao applied, because their transparency is zero, but depth in such places is drawed like opaque.

The solution (aside from turning SSAO off) is

Some Other Guy posted:

Oh that transparency, i edited the hair meshes to alpha blend (value 120) so i do not have a transparency problem.
whenever i encounter a problem like that i edit the mesh.

So if you know what that guy is talking about and can go through all the beards in such a way, I guess you would have no worries.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any suggestions for an idiot mod? I just bought FO3 and FNV in that steam sale and I've always wanted to play a low-int playthrough that actually felt like a low-int playthrough. Also I hope the mod that unites FO3 and FNV isn't going to wreck everything somehow, it seems too good to be true.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Any suggestions for an idiot mod? I just bought FO3 and FNV in that steam sale and I've always wanted to play a low-int playthrough that actually felt like a low-int playthrough. Also I hope the mod that unites FO3 and FNV isn't going to wreck everything somehow, it seems too good to be true.

I'd recommend skipping Dead Money or at least not doing it your first time on a low int character because that's what I did and it was a horrible tedious slog due to having to do everything myself the long way uphill both ways in the fog with the ghost people due to not being able to pass any skill checks ever

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'd recommend skipping Dead Money or at least not doing it your first time on a low int character because that's what I did and it was a horrible tedious slog due to having to do everything myself the long way uphill both ways in the fog with the ghost people due to not being able to pass any skill checks ever
If you thought the DLC was a tedious slog without passing skillchecks, then you're going to think it's a tedious slog even if you passed them.
But there's a reason why the recommonded level is 20+. The combat is doable at levels below that, but there are a lot of skillchecks and at that point even 1-Int character ought to have some decent amount of points in lockpicking and whatnot.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thumbtacks posted:

If you are going to use TTW the recommendation is to stick to as few mods as possible. Make sure to go through their forums and pick up some of the converted FO3 mods or the dual-wasteland mods so that DC isn't completely empty compared to New Vegas. However, they do state that most mods originally designed for NV should work, though effects may be missing in DC depending on what kind of mod it is. The only other major issues I had were: 1) you have to install MCM last if you have any mods that use it, preferably followed by uHUD, 2) bash patches were causing crashes on startup, so I used FNVedit to make a merge patch instead.

I have been playing the game for about five hours on my current LO and have yet to get any crashes (I can post the LO if you want- is there a way to post it in a dropdown so it doesn't take up so much space?). You do have to read through entire threads to see how to get certain mods working (MMM especially, and it does not work with all features but I have seen a couple new mobs running around), so it can take a bit to get it set up. But I haven't played FO3 in long enough that it feels fresh to me, and I never finished Vegas the first time I played for some reason, so TTW is perfect for me.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I didn't see a recommended mods with ttw post yet, or i missed it so before i start my game any recommendations for a ttw playthrough?

I now have Armory, ttwinteriors, ttw eve, and bastians ttw patch, is ttw NVEC worth using?

PN requires MCM i guess so it might be easier to just not use it i guess?

Also i like lotsa guns, any other weapon packs besides The Armory which would be nice for ttw?

Delerion fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 20, 2013

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Delerion posted:

I didn't see a recommended mods with ttw post yet, or i missed it so before i start my game any recommendations for a ttw playthrough?

I now have Armory, ttwinteriors, ttw eve, and bastians ttw patch, is ttw NVEC worth using?

Also i like lotsa guns, any other weapon packs besides The Armory which would be nice for ttw?

Installing Project Nevada and MCM with TTW is no different that installing in for straight New Vegas install. For NVEC, if you are going to use a good portion of the included mods in it and can take care of mod conflicts manually, then I would say it is worth it, but note it also uses MCM.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

Delerion posted:

It's already been mentioned, but you can install PN and MCM normally. Just don't use PN's Weapons Module since it will duplicate many of FO3's weapons, apparently. There's a patch for PN, but I didn't use it my play through and had no issues related to PN.

If you're into balance mods, be sure to check out the TTW version of JSawyer's Tweaks. It works great with PN's Rebalance module.

Also, with or without rebalance mods, TTW tends to make certain FO3 enemies, particularly Super Mutants, incredibly difficult to kill because of New Vegas's DT system. You might want to consider a mod that rebalances their statistics like this one. However, I've seen some people claim that Capital Wastland's Super Mutants are too easy because they are the same generic ones that are all over New Vegas. You'll just have to experiment a little bit, but personally I found the adjustments used in the aforementioned fix provide a decent challenge.

You'll also most likely want a mod that makes the transition between Capital Wasteland and New Vegas more balanced. Default TTW allows you to keep all the equipment you bring from CW and removes any challenge in the earlier parts of NV. There are two mods that I know of that address this. Equipment Looted simply takes away all your equipment away upon arrival at New Vegas and sticks them in a container in Boulder City. Additionally there's an option where the Great Khans steal it all, and you need to kill a certain NPC to get it all back. The other mod is Difficult Journey which does all sorts of things like filling up the train station that takes you to New Vegas with Feral Ghouls and giving you a temporary stat debuff when you first wake up in Goodsprings. Only your unique weapons transition over and are promptly placed in a locker in Primm. The rest of your equipment is moved to a locker that you can't reach without console commands. I used this latter mod and found it to be alright, except the modder made it so you had to pay $500 old-world money to pay for your train ticket to New Vegas. Even with all of FO3's quests and DLC completed, I still was about $100 short by the time I decided to leave the CW, so I just used to console to cheat in the rest of the money.

As for weapons mods, there's a patch that adds WMX's modifications to the weapons in Capital Wasteland, but you'll need a vendor to acquire them. There used to be a mod that allows certain stores in the CW to carry them, but I can no longer find it. Try this direct link on the same page as those other WMX mods.
Alternatively, you can use the Vending Machine mod that they recommend, but it looks like it requires a trip to New Vegas.

Finally, don't forget Fellout for TTW. You might want to just go through TTW's forums and see if there's anything else that interests you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How exactly does TTW handle main quest lines? Which one do you start first?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
OK I have some armor that I want to tweak. The positioning of various bits and bobs (backpacks, belts, etc) is wrong. So just open it up in Nifskope, select the right part, right-click, edit, move it around, update tangent spaces, save, success, right? so wrong! It does nothing!

What am I missing here? I don't want to dick around with anything except moving part of an armor mesh around so it fits better. This shouldn't be hard but apparently, it is.

I can stretch stuff on the x/y/z axis fine, but if I just want to reposition things without stretching, nope. Nifskope pretends like it does just fine, then refuses to save.

Delerion posted:

both of these are incredibly easy to install :confused:

I mean FOMOD installers are like click a button, wait, click a button, installed. It's almost impossible to screw up. Even with TTW in the mix, they're really straightforward.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 21, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Thumbtacks posted:

How exactly does TTW handle main quest lines? Which one do you start first?

You automatically start in Vault 101. When you take the train to the Mojave for the first time you magically appear in Doc Mitchell's house in Goodsprings. Beyond that, there's no connection between the two regions or their stories.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You automatically start in Vault 101. When you take the train to the Mojave for the first time you magically appear in Doc Mitchell's house in Goodsprings. Beyond that, there's no connection between the two regions or their stories.

Can you hop back and forth? Like can I do FO3 up to the Lincoln memorial and then go save Goodsprings or something? Does it track quests from both?

If so I should probably get a mod to extend max quests, iirc there's a limit.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Can you hop back and forth? Like can I do FO3 up to the Lincoln memorial and then go save Goodsprings or something? Does it track quests from both?

If so I should probably get a mod to extend max quests, iirc there's a limit.

It tracks quests from both independently so you can do that. As for the limit on quests, I have never heard of it. I doubt that there are enough quests in FO3 to worry about hitting it though.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
I've been playing with TTW, and the quests from both areas appear alongside each other in the same list, no problems. As for quest limits, I've never heard of one, though it's possible one exists. I haven't seen it yet, and I've had playthroughs that had a lot more quests then TTW through the use of mods. Really, F3 doesn't actually have all that many quest entries, especially not when compared to FNV, so I wouldn't worry about limits.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

HD clothing mod got an update:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54478/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If I wanted to play TTW does any one use an XP rate modifier and if so how much do you recommend? I mean I figure 2 games worth of content, both designed to let you hit the level cap within their own game, you're gonna hit it pretty fast.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Psion posted:

OK I have some armor that I want to tweak. The positioning of various bits and bobs (backpacks, belts, etc) is wrong. So just open it up in Nifskope, select the right part, right-click, edit, move it around, update tangent spaces, save, success, right? so wrong! It does nothing!

What am I missing here? I don't want to dick around with anything except moving part of an armor mesh around so it fits better. This shouldn't be hard but apparently, it is.

I can stretch stuff on the x/y/z axis fine, but if I just want to reposition things without stretching, nope. Nifskope pretends like it does just fine, then refuses to save.

It can be a huge pain in the rear end, but you probably need to do the following:

- Adjust things like you want them, then click Apply.
- Go to NiSkinData under BSDismemberSkinInstance in the tree.
- Rotation and Translation values probably aren't zeroed out under Block Details which they should be, so right-click on Translation and Normalize.
- Adjust again, then Apply. You might need to do these two steps more than once.
- Then lastly, Spells > Batch > Update All Tangent Spaces.

Keep in mind that animations can displace your armour pieces, too.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

If I wanted to play TTW does any one use an XP rate modifier and if so how much do you recommend? I mean I figure 2 games worth of content, both designed to let you hit the level cap within their own game, you're gonna hit it pretty fast.
An XP rate modifier can be useful but not an absolute must for a TTW play through. I'm pretty sure TTW by default raises the level cap to 50, but if not, there are plenty of mods that help you with that. If you haven't already, I highly recommend you download Project Nevada and PN-Extra Options. PN's Balance Module gives you a ridiculous amount of flexibility to adjust the difficulty of the game including an option to change your XP gain rate. This way, if you run into the situation where the game feels too easy, you can go back to PN's settings anytime and adjust modifiers that will make the game more challenging.

IMO, your character's level won't make a huge amount of difference on the game's difficulty. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only things it influences are HP, skills, and perks. In the grand scheme of things, a few extra HP points will not make much of a difference in battles. Skills are only a problem if you enjoy skill check barriers that railroad you into making certain choices, but unless you manage to max out skills like lockpick and computer, you won't be able to break quests very easily. New Vegas does a good job of making most of the perks balanced, but you can always avoid perks that seem to make the game too easy.

What will really break the game is the amount of loot and overpowered gear you're going to collect in Capital Wasteland. You're not going to have much of a problem with the first half of New Vegas when you walk into Goodsprings with Power Armor training and a Gatling Laser. This is why I recommend some mod that removes your loot upon arrival in New Vegas. Your loot isn't gone permanently, but you'll have to go through a significant chunk of New Vegas without it before you can get any of it back. Alternatively, you can just go to New Vegas as soon as your able to. If you go soon enough, you won't have amassed enough equipment or levels to compromise much of New Vegas's difficulty. Of course, your next choice is to decide when to go back to the Capital Wasteland and how far you're willing to break that campaign. It's a constant balancing act with no easy solution. At least PN gives you some degree of control of the game's difficulty.

I know you didn't necessarily ask about balance, but I think these things are crucial to consider when doing a TTW play through. If you're still thinking about adjusting the XP gain rate, I used 75% gain and hit level 30 after completing all of FO3's campaign and DLC. That's about right if you want to split your levels 50/50 between the two campaigns, but something lower than that like 50% might offer a more challenging experience.

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 21, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've been slowly setting up a new modded game of Fallout: New Vegas recently with ModOrganizer, but I need some help: I remember a goon had set up a really helpful post with instructions on how to import a UI mod setup, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone explain to me how to do that without having to manually install all the separate mods and then made the xml edits? I did that once and it was a pain and egregiously difficult to troubleshoot, so I'd prefer to avoid that experience.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

It can be a huge pain in the rear end, but you probably need to do the following:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I imagine it will be a pain in the rear end, Nifskope is sort of ... I don't know, arcane sorcery? but I really want to avoid Blender if I can. Now there's a pain in the rear end.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've been slowly setting up a new modded game of Fallout: New Vegas recently with ModOrganizer, but I need some help: I remember a goon had set up a really helpful post with instructions on how to import a UI mod setup, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone explain to me how to do that without having to manually install all the separate mods and then made the xml edits? I did that once and it was a pain and egregiously difficult to troubleshoot, so I'd prefer to avoid that experience.

TL;DR: launch FOMM (not NMM) from MO and use Unified HUD from there.

You need Unified HUD (get One HUD and Darnified UI too) to manage all the mods that want to muck with the interface XML. You have to deactivate/reactive uHUD each time you install such a mod and uHUD's FOMOD installer scripts will munge all that XML into shape.

Unfortunately, uHUD installation/activation needs to be done with NMM/FOMM as MO's FOMOD support isn't good enough yet. MO doesn't work with NMM (64-bit program), so download and use FOMM instead. I verified this works fine: MO for most mods, all interface and other FOMOD-script-heavy mods in FOMM (Weapon Animation Replacer is another such).

E: To be clear, all interface-modifying mods or even all FOMOD-heavy mods don't have to be installed with FOMM. Just those that MO can't handle.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 22, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For now I've been using the Nexus Mod Manager to install Project Nevada, MCM and the interface related stuff, and ModOrganizer seem to work fine with that. The downside, I guess, is that right now my base installation isn't *completely* vanilla, but hey, I guess the worst that can happen is that I might have to reinstall in the future. Thanks for the help!

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone know of a good mod to rebalance buy/sell prices? The amount of caps you can get fairly early in the vanilla game is already pretty generous, but I can't go back to playing without IWS, and that mod makes the progression of wealth completely absurd.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You could always just use the console to set your Barter to 0.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012
Are there problems with the latest AMD drivers? Since updating to the latest branches of drivers (13.11/12?) I've had a nightmare of a time with my New Vegas installation. I'm using a plethora of mods which aren't the issue, but getting either ENB or SweetFX working on their own or in tandem seems to be impossible.

I tried using a newer version of ENB, which seemed to activate and load though it was called "ENBoost" and I couldn't get anything working properly, like key combos or such for the menus and so on. Anyway I went back to ENB .193 and all I get is a white screen when I load my game, I have to then kill it in Task Manager. Very frustrating and nothing in my config has really changed since updating my drivers, so I wondered if there is some sort of compatibility issue with something ENB or SweetFX is doing that I can disable in the configs manually or whether I just have to roll back to some ancient driver?

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012

whydirt posted:

You could always just use the console to set your Barter to 0.

Could do, but it would have practically no effect. I have 1 point in Charisma so my barter is already horrible, it's just the sheer volume of enemies dropping loot that makes my income so insane. I was looking on the Nexus hoping for something that made buy/sell prices much more dependent on Barter, but I didn't turn up much of anything.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You could make an .esp patch in the Geck that changes these values:

code:
Setting 	        Default 	Description
fBarterBuyBase 	        1.55 	        Used to calculate base buying (from a vendor) price of the item.
fBarterBuyMult 	        -0.45 	        Used to calculate a buying (from a vendor) price reduction based on the skill of the player.
fBarterSellBase 	0.45 	        Used to calculate base selling (to a vendor) price of the item.
fBarterSellMult 	0.45 	        Used to calculate the increase of the selling (to a vendor) price of the item based on the skill of the player.
In particular, you could set the fBarterSell* values to 1/3 of what they are so you get a third as much money, and so on. The fBarterSellMult could also be changed in magnitude to make Barter more powerful in scale. (base at 0.10 and Mult at 0.80 will make Barter sell prices range from 10% to 90%)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do extra quest mods like New Vegas Bounties require a new game or can they be added in later?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They can be added later.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You could make an .esp patch in the Geck that changes these values:

code:
Setting 	        Default 	Description
fBarterBuyBase 	        1.55 	        Used to calculate base buying (from a vendor) price of the item.
fBarterBuyMult 	        -0.45 	        Used to calculate a buying (from a vendor) price reduction based on the skill of the player.
fBarterSellBase 	0.45 	        Used to calculate base selling (to a vendor) price of the item.
fBarterSellMult 	0.45 	        Used to calculate the increase of the selling (to a vendor) price of the item based on the skill of the player.
In particular, you could set the fBarterSell* values to 1/3 of what they are so you get a third as much money, and so on. The fBarterSellMult could also be changed in magnitude to make Barter more powerful in scale. (base at 0.10 and Mult at 0.80 will make Barter sell prices range from 10% to 90%)

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

superoxen posted:

Does anyone know of a good mod to rebalance buy/sell prices?

The Tougher Economy mod from Puce Moose's Tweak and Balance Center does this. It increases the price of most items by 70% while cutting their sell value in half.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ZombyWoof posted:

Are there problems with the latest AMD drivers? Since updating to the latest branches of drivers (13.11/12?) I've had a nightmare of a time with my New Vegas installation. I'm using a plethora of mods which aren't the issue, but getting either ENB or SweetFX working on their own or in tandem seems to be impossible.

Yeah, there were issues with ENB and AMD drivers - but the problem goes away with the latest AMD beta drivers and ENB 237. I'm using that combination with FO3 successfully right now and briefly tried it against FNV a few weeks ago.

If you're using a preset that won't work with the latest 0.237, you'll need to go very far back (0.17x?) to get one that will. I'm only using it for Detailed Shadows/AO/ENBoost and not with anyone's preset.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012

v1ld posted:

Yeah, there were issues with ENB and AMD drivers - but the problem goes away with the latest AMD beta drivers and ENB 237. I'm using that combination with FO3 successfully right now and briefly tried it against FNV a few weeks ago.

If you're using a preset that won't work with the latest 0.237, you'll need to go very far back (0.17x?) to get one that will. I'm only using it for Detailed Shadows/AO/ENBoost and not with anyone's preset.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I managed to get it working with .237 and a custom setup and it's working flawlessly now. Least I know it isn't something weird Steam had done to the files (my first thought).

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
My last playthrough I used a large number of mods and near the end of the game I ran into a game-breaking bug and simply couldn't finish the game. No amount of console shenanigams could be me past it. It was pretty disappointing.

This time I'm going to try and limit myself to 10 mods and that's it.
These 7 are going in:
EVE
Project Nevada
WME
Mod Configuration Menu
Weapon Mod Menu
Electro-City
CASM

I've done New Vegas Bounties 1/2 and Robco Certified in the past so am just going to cut them both this time. Suggestions for my last 3 mods? I'm looking for extremely stable mods that either: make the game more stable, make the game look better, add more skills/perks/traits, add other character options (like Robco Certified did), or add to the existing world with new quests/people. I don't need anything to make the game more difficult or fiddly like Sawyer's mod.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is now a patch for Fook / Project Nevada, are patches extra mods? If not then I would recommend looking at this http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54398/

Which combines FOOK, PNV, PNV (Extra Options,)

It also has patches for more, so if you wanted you could go all the way too:

FOOK
PNV (Project Nevada)
PNV: EO

(1st patch)

WMXUE (Weapons Mod Expanded)
WME (Weapons mod Expansion)
EVE (Enhanced Visual Effects)

(2nd patch)

AWOP (A world of pain - New Areas / weapons)

(3rd)

WMR (Weapon Mod Recipes.)

(4th)

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you Turtlicious. I'm going to try your build. Last time I tried AWOP was a couple years ago and I found it buggy as poo poo, but maybe it's a bit more stable now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think someone made what amounted to a sanity patch for AWOP, toning down the most egregious nonsense and retaining the best of what's left.

I've never used it so I can't say personally.

also I was so proud of myself for mashing two nifs together last night to make a new combined outfit, except NV CTDs immediately every time I try to equip the new gear. oops :v:

one of these days, new vegas! I think it's skeleton poo poo. Both of the items are probably fighting over skeleton and bones and nodes and :words: and poo poo. Back to the ol' google for tutorials...

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I'm trying to find a decent head-bobbing mod. Used to be one on the Nexus, I think, but it seems to have been removed. Any of ya'll got it archived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Started doing my :spergin: work on Fallout Character Overhaul's faces, I'm pretty happy with what Chief Hanlon's face, was surprisingly easy to get it more or less where I wanted it, though I'll probably still do some tweaking:

Any feedback on it from people with a better eye than me?

Also did some work on the King, and some minimal tweaking on the mod's alternative faces for Doc Mitchell and Arcade Gannon, but I don't really feel like they deserve/are ready to be shown. Going at this pace I should have New Vegas ready for a second playthrough in 2022. :shepface: