Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Eiba posted:

Nah. I mean, I haven't heard anything, but it's barely beginning if the name "Vinland Saga" is to be believed. This is probably the end of Canute's story though. Very much wrapping up the last arc before moving on.

I don't know. Structurally, the arc of Vinland Saga has felt incredibly similar to Yukimura's previous series Planetes, and if that continues to hold true then the series is probably going to wrap up in a few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

cafel posted:

I don't know. Structurally, the arc of Vinland Saga has felt incredibly similar to Yukimura's previous series Planetes, and if that continues to hold true then the series is probably going to wrap up in a few chapters.
God I hope not. Not just because I want to read this manga forever, but because we do have quite a bit of Thorfinn's attempt at settling Vinland documented, and I want to see what Yukimura's going to do with it.

~history spoilers~ Especially considering Thorfinn's enlightened attitude and utopian vision... Vinland itself is going to be tragic as heck. A good attempt at peaceful relations with the Native Americans will be made, but ultimately misunderstandings and recriminations are going to lead to war, even in distant Vinland, dooming the settlement.

I really liked Yukimura's take on Canute turning back the tides, and his generally brutally accurate portrayal of the mindset of people in the past, so I'm really looking forward to how he builds that up, and what he makes of it.

My personal guess is that ~speculation based on history spoilers~ Thorfinn will run off to join the Native Americans, or it's just going to be a bleak ending. Either way, Yukumura's built up a really interesting character for whom what actually happened is going to be just about the most heartbreaking thing.

Of course Yukumura could always throw out history to suit him. He already did to get Thorfinn and Canute to meet the way they did (the dates they both lived don't match up), so who knows how this'll go. I just think a vague sailing off into the sunset would be a cop out, considering all the buildup.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought more recent archaeological findings suggested the Norse settlers eventually joined the Native Americans instead of being brutally murdered like was previously believed?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's an interesting cap on Thorfinn's adventures in the mainland Europe. I'm sure there's plenty of drama and adventures ahead. As Eiba said, there's a lot of stuff to go in the history.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To be fair, next chapter is 100 so it must be very tempting to go "done!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

It's an interesting cap on Thorfinn's adventures in the mainland Europe. I'm sure there's plenty of drama and adventures ahead. As Eiba said, there's a lot of stuff to go in the history.
Perhaps we'll get to see an account of Thorkell The Tall's falling out with King Canute.
Thorkell seemed like such an interesting person in real life, he is a natural fit for a manga character.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Zorak posted:

Well sure there's definitely a lot of history and a lot of potential story, but Thorfinn's arc as a character is pretty much finished. He had his crisis about killing and non-violence, and it just reached it's obvious conclusion. From here on in, if the story continues, it will be hard to expand on the character, which is part of what makes me think he's going to wrap it up soon.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

isme posted:

Kingdom is a very entertaining manga, but the historical research of the author is worse than a middle schooler's term paper. Anybody here can probably spend 30 minutes reading on Qin and Qin Shi Huang in Wikipedia and be better versed than the author. The English translation of a Japanese translation of a Chinese name is pretty frustrating to read, especially when you want to figure out which famous historical figure the author is trying to bastardize next.

If the author ever decided to draw about the American Civil War, we would learn that Alahamu Limcom-Sama is a transvestite sage and that Lobou Yi Li-Kun was actually a beautiful jungle queen masquerading as a young man. Also, lots of battles are decided by Shounen punches.

I too would have preferred them keep using the original chinese names. But really, this manga doesn't seem to be intended for historical accuracy. It's shonen as gently caress. It has no room for realism and real life poo poo. Also everyone got power levels. It's as faithful to the source material as Dynasty Warriors to ROTK.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

wid posted:

I too would have preferred them keep using the original chinese names. But really, this manga doesn't seem to be intended for historical accuracy. It's shonen as gently caress. It has no room for realism and real life poo poo. Also everyone got power levels. It's as faithful to the source material as Dynasty Warriors to ROTK.

This is why I like Vinland Saga, very historically sound, but the story is a fantasy when compared to actual historical events. No need to show Shounen powers as the achievements itself is already bad rear end in itself.

Kingdom is very entertaining manga to read, but the Shounen-ness and confusing translations are starting to grate on me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's why I just treat Kingdom like some great fantasy manga, the latest chapters are getting pretty epic. I love the pace at which it's translated.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Kingdom has really been on a roll lately. I lost it when the ladders didn't even make it half way up the wall.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Shin is becoming a legitimate badass. I felt :black101: when he tore through the Zhao soldiers attacking Duke Hyou's flanks and rallied his 10,000 troops

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I like the fact that despite his idol, Ouki, is a mastermind type of general, Shin is not. His General Class (seriously, it's shonen as gently caress that it's practically a video game) is instead the same as Duke Hyou, the shonen-nest General Class, powered by Burning Spirit and Pure Will (with a massive penalty to Intelligence).

If anyone is expecting this manga would be another Historie or Vinland Saga, you got the wrong manga. I find those two to be superior in every way but Kingdom is scratching my itch for shonen especially since the current crop of shonen is really boring. But like I said before, it's an odd duck where the shonen-ness is wrapped around gory carnage and blatant disregard for human lives, unlike all the other shonen which try to gloss over the violence and brutality.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I'm happy Kingdom is getting attention, but given that the historical angle is used more for setting than for accuracy, perhaps further discussion of Kingdom should move to the Miscellaneous Seinen thread. Despite the hero's shonen qualities, seinen is apparently what the series is officially classified as. Makes sense with how violent it is.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shieldhill posted:

I'm happy Kingdom is getting attention, but given that the historical angle is used more for setting than for accuracy, perhaps further discussion of Kingdom should move to the Miscellaneous Seinen thread. Despite the hero's shonen qualities, seinen is apparently what the series is officially classified as. Makes sense with how violent it is.
Really? I don't think Kingdom is much less accurate then for example Baltzar.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A Bride's Story chapter 33 is up: Read Online

I gotta say I am still just really disappointed with Mori's action sequences, in a lot of ways. Maybe it's just a slump, but I just don't think this arc measures up to the non-conflict chapters at all. I was at least feeling some great tension the last few chapters, after the hyping of the Batan's vastly superior armament. I especially liked the scenes with Joruk pleading with Amir to save herself, or Amir taking a moment to steel herself as she collected her gear; It really gave a sense that there was some danger. That goes right out the window with this one! At least it's still pretty.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Considering all of her prior works, I don't think she has much experience with action scenes, unfortunately. I still really enjoyed the chapter, but I agree that it's far from her best. I don't think it's particularly bad, though.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Considering all of her prior works, I don't think she has much experience with action scenes, unfortunately. I still really enjoyed the chapter, but I agree that it's far from her best. I don't think it's particularly bad, though.

I'm just bitter because I'm so disappointed :v: What gets me is the potential! I am constantly struck by her ability to depict movement and emotion, which is what got me looking forwards to the fight in the first place, but unfortunately the scene composition and (narrative, dramatic, and to some extent visual) flow is just kind of all over the place.

Anyway, here's another one; Chapter 34: Read Online

check this guy out, he is LOVING that poo poo

edit: poo poo gently caress okay uhhhh try that link again

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 6, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
But that's chapter 33??

edit: fixed now, thanks EB!

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 6, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Binged all of Vinland up to the recent chapter and read the entire thread too.

What a wonderful show, missed the point that the original arc was just the prologue, so that was a real eye-brow raiser to me.

Shame it is a monthly release. I have a feeling this essentially concludes "saga 1", if we consider the prologue "saga 0". I assume saga 2 will govern all of Vinland and the journey to iceland, but I wouldn't expect it to exceed 200 chapters and we might only even see 150 before the series ends. It depends on how much the author wants to make out of it.

Now, positive remarks is how similar the storytelling is to actual viking stories. Thorkell gets his fingers chopped off and just keeps fighting, important characters can get offed with barely a sentence to be of note to them, but of course it is a modern story, so it spends frivilous amounts of lavish on the characters it feels like to embellish.

It captures the spirit of viking storytelling perfectly, for a modern audience.

As for the farming saga, it was a blast to read since I didn't have to wait months between updates. It might have been unbearable for some less patient people, but it fits really well with where the story is going.

Thorfinn's pacifism is very "zen through combat", which is what everyone seems to react to when they encounter for instance Thors. They, who have only known the chaos of battle their whole life, see the calm state, that the vikings don't really have a name for, but fits really well with the phrase "a true warrior doesn't need a sword". Such a foreign concept for vikings, it probably isn't entirely unknown either, but all different regions put different names to it.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Historie chapter: http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/12/historie-c83.html

I've been catching up on the various mangas people have suggested in here and have been enjoying pretty much all of them.

I gave Kingdoms a try and got in 40 chapters, but was....disappointed. The history feels weak and silly, such as the mountain people. The combat is blant, as it is just hyping up super stereotype evil monster and then ragekid will just bruteforce him. Just very shonen silly style.

Hox Scanlation has always been posting Sangokushi translations and I've been considering reading that to learn about the Chinese Three Kingdoms lore, which feels more suited to this thread than Kingdoms.
Hox has the whole Sangokushi on a mediashare, so I plan to give that a try: http://www.mediafire.com/sangokushi

I recognize OP has been left idle so I was pondering cleaning it up to include the new mangas people have spoken about like Gunka no Balzer.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Having followed this thread for awhile, I'm really sad that there's never been any more updates for Hishintan - Vita Arcana. I was really digging this manga and its Caligula-esque vibe, because the Late Roman Empire is the craziest best Roman Empire.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
A series focused on Ricimer and the last days of the western empire would honestly be really cool.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

A series focused on Ricimer and the last days of the western empire would honestly be really cool.

That entire timeframe is loving intense. Basiliscus literally botched the last ditch attempt at stabilizing the Western Empire. Given command of probably one of the largest amphibious invasion until like... Normandy. And he loses nearly the entire force of 100k+ men.

If there is ever a point in history where one person made an impact that changed the course of history it was the decision to put him in command of that punitive invasion. Not only did he get a force destroyed by an enemy he easily outnumbered 10 to 1 he loving goes back and destabilizes the East so badly that they can't do anything to save the West for well over a generation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vedius Pollio posted:

Having followed this thread for awhile, I'm really sad that there's never been any more updates for Hishintan - Vita Arcana. I was really digging this manga and its Caligula-esque vibe, because the Late Roman Empire is the craziest best Roman Empire.

What a tease; to just learn of this and it's already stopped updating. It's gorgeous.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
As a heads up, Hox is putting the new Vinland on /a/ at the moment. Should be up elsewhere soon enough.
Here's the /a/ link: http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/98806905

Edit: Thread died. Reuploaded here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vsoo2p and here: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/213238/vinland-saga_ch100_by_4chan

Sinner Sandwich fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 23, 2013

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

As a heads up, Hox is putting the new Vinland on /a/ at the moment. Should be up elsewhere soon enough.

Thorfinn? Who's Thorfinn?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Hell hath no fury like a woman of viking heritage scorned.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ylva is the second manliest character in the series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The little comments from the children made those scenes 10x funnier

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would like to note that Vinland Saga hasn't had comedy in forever, and now it does again. God bless Ylva.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Vedius Pollio posted:

This seemed fairly interesting but Era is one bizare character. I am really confused by this manga because it seemed like some sort of hosed up gore hentai. I did enjoy reading through it as it depicts an interesting setting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

It's gone. :(

Anyone got an alternate link? Doesn't seem to be on any of the manga sites yet.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

^^^^^

Sendspace link, Vinland Saga 100: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vsoo2p

In future, should probably post that with the 4chan link since 4chan urls die off quick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That was the :3:est chapter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was adorable I wonder how much Thorfinn is going to reveal of what he went through. I mean, his current course of action aside, the dude has killed easily hundreds of people.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

This seemed fairly interesting but Era is one bizarre character. I am really confused by this manga because it seemed like some sort of hosed up gore hentai. I did enjoy reading through it as it depicts an interesting setting.

Yeah, I read that was the general consensus when this thing first hit the thread and thought that was a really silly reduction. I'm totally not seeing it. It's a comic set in the late Roman empire, of course we need gratuitous titties and blood-spectacle. Also the thing about Era is that hermaphrodites and gender-bending do have a rather well-established place of spiritual prominence in Roman religion and mythology. So that part didn't seem out of place to me at all.

I may just be really biased because it takes place in my favorite era of ancient history. I love how the manga is constantly making allusions to the weird pagan cults which were spreading across the eastern empire at the time like Hecate and El-Gabal.

Also the political intrigue plot seemed like it was going places. Polio is one cool motherfucker, and I hold out some hope he's an homage to my usernamesake. Maybe less with the eels and more with the debauched slackerism.

I have to hope this thing updates again... someday. :smith:

On Vinland Saga: I want more of other-Thorfinn. "MOM!?!?"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
WAIT: the thing I want most from Vinland Saga right now is Thorfinn to go "by the way, I met Great Uncle Thorkell. I cut out one of his eyes."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

That was adorable I wonder how much Thorfinn is going to reveal of what he went through. I mean, his current course of action aside, the dude has killed easily hundreds of people.

Not sure that would bother too many people his combat would probably be less alien than his new pacifism. I have a feeling his mom will say he's taking after his father and his sister will call him a coward

good chapter but felt a little short wanna read so much about this reunion :<

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"WAIT, HOW OLD AM I NOW?"

I love this manga.