Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

pvax posted:

VVVV
No Multiplayer or even AI at this point. It's just Hot Lapping/Time Trials at the moment.

Does it upload the times to a leaderboard like PCars does at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

It keeps track of your best by track specifically to each car, but I do not think it uploads anywhere yet. I just picked it up today, others in the thread might have better info than I.

But, it does look like people have created apps to post times to a board for now (with in game displays etc). Not sure if this is the best one though.
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank

pvax fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 20, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pvax posted:

$30 was my breaking point. I'm very surprised (but pleased) that it went on sale.

2 hours later and I have to say that AC has the promise to be a very very special title. It's a real joy to just run some laps in this - has a real nice 'feel'.

I also tested a bit with the 360 controller and am really impressed with how well it worked - felt very Forza-like in it's level of feedback/control, which is rare for a PC sim, even with the assists turned off. You can tell they've put in some effort into testing game-pad controls.

In other news, I still have yet to muster the courage to run a real race in iRacing, but am starting to get that MX-5 around the track a lot more reliably :)

VVVV
No Multiplayer or even AI at this point. It's just Hot Lapping/Time Trials at the moment.

Just do some SR races to get promoted to D class and race the Skip or the Mustang or literally anything else. The MX-5 is hot garbage.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Holy crap, F40 and 599XX, definitely going to give those a twirl come tomorrow morning.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
I am attempting to run time trials at Laguna Seca in iracing, but keep getting black flagged when I attempt to leave the pits. I am well below the max speed when I pass the green cones, what am i doing wrong?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Are you following the whole pit road exit (it runs on the inside of T1 and T2, and doesn't join the track until after T2?

tehsid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 20, 2013

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
Actually no. After passing the green cones I exit between the first set of pylons and take off. Time to give it another go. Thanks.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Furry Hunter posted:

Actually no. After passing the green cones I exit between the first set of pylons and take off. Time to give it another go. Thanks.

Haha. All good. Yeah, that will be your problem. Just follow the service road out.

Good luck!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So rFactor 2, a few questions Are all the cars just random mods people release? Is there a base car list or something? Also whats up with the demo, do I have to actually buy the game and if I don't like it go through a refund?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Getting a refund is apparently really easy.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Popete posted:

So rFactor 2, a few questions Are all the cars just random mods people release? Is there a base car list or something? Also whats up with the demo, do I have to actually buy the game and if I don't like it go through a refund?

This is all the ISI content: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Download the demo installer from there and drive the Corvette around Lime Rock Park. You only have to download that one thing. If you decide to buy the game, you can download all that other stuff, too (it's of no use to you unless you own the game).

Cojawfee posted:

Getting a refund is apparently really easy.

They do seem to be very good about this. Still, I doubt you'll want to if you get things working.

Driveability in rFactor 2 for me is highly dependent on FFB settings, which can take a little bit of messing with to get right. It's the same as rFactor in that respect.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

An Enormous Boner posted:

Driveability in rFactor 2 for me is highly dependent on FFB settings, which can take a little bit of messing with to get right. It's the same as rFactor in that respect.

There's a plugin made by TechAde called Pedal Overlay which has a great little addon showing if FFB is clipping, which is perfect for setting your FFB. Impossible to tell when FFB is clipping otherwise.

Also, I would highly recommend downloading the free 2013 Corvette by URD (goes with their :10bux: EnduranceX package which is WIP, but very good). It beats the ISI Corvette in every way. I dont think much of the ISI Corvette, its the one car I cannot get any good setup with.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

One thing about rF2 is that the track has to rubber in, and it's very slippery when it's still green. I think now they have a preset like "lightly rubbered", but you can also just turn on the time acceleration and let the AI cars drive around until their lap times stop going down.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had luck getting a PS4 controller to work on Asseto Corsa? I used DS4 Tool and the game recognized my input at the control setup, but when I go to race I get no response.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Popete posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a PS4 controller to work on Asseto Corsa? I used DS4 Tool and the game recognized my input at the control setup, but when I go to race I get no response.

Yea, I have. Go back to the options for controls and ensure you leave it selected on the xbox360 option. I've been using x360ce with no issues.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh god, heaven, it has arrived in my life...

http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/4364/AC_UP42013C-8.jpg

Gonna blast around tonight.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
For the first time in my life I got a bonus that isn't totally laughable, so I went ahead and purchased a Fanatec CSR for use with Forza 4 and various Steam games that I've purchased lately. Do you guys get together for any online PC racing? Like is there a Steam group I should join?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

peter gabriel posted:

Oh god, heaven, it has arrived in my life...

http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/4364/AC_UP42013C-8.jpg

Gonna blast around tonight.

To me, it feels slow as hell in the corners with the stock tires. It still looks quick in the replay, though. Modern street tires feel better, but I haven't tried the semi-slicks yet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CaseFace McGee posted:

To me, it feels slow as hell in the corners with the stock tires. It still looks quick in the replay, though. Modern street tires feel better, but I haven't tried the semi-slicks yet.

Thanks for the tip :)
I can't play for another hour or so, it's killing me, this was my poster car in my childhood. F40 + Rift = good times!

Yeah, do we have a steam group for racing or anything? That might be a giggle.

Edit: Holy poo poo the turbo whine on the Stage 3 F40 :allears:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 21, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, do we have a steam group for racing or anything? That might be a giggle.

I made one for Grid 2, let me rename that to a proper racing group and we can use that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Just had a go of a couple cars in pCARS and was very impressed at the improvements to the road feel. Hard to put it into words but I certainly felt like I was in control.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I picked up Assetto Corsa on the Steam sale after pining for getting into sim racing (and because I own a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GT wheel that was gathering dust), and frankly after playing it for just a few laps I realize I really want a much nicer wheel than that, so I picked up a G27.

I plan to just mount it on my regular computer desk as I think it'll be the right height (no problems with the FFGT and they look like they have similar mounts), but I'm worried that the H shifter is going to feel all wrong being that high. What do you guys recommend for mounting that thing low and to the right outside of buying one of those $500 seat/wheel/monitor mounting stations?

Any other must-do mods that'll void my warranty on the wheel/pedals/shifter?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Took the plunge on AC yesterday at $30 as well. Far too good to refuse.

It's the first proper non-Grid/Dirt/Toca/Shift sim I've played since Richard Burns Rally so it's a bit of a shock to the system, but good fun. That F40 is utterly terrifying.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

speedtek posted:

For the first time in my life I got a bonus that isn't totally laughable, so I went ahead and purchased a Fanatec CSR for use with Forza 4 and various Steam games that I've purchased lately. Do you guys get together for any online PC racing? Like is there a Steam group I should join?

Myself and Ohsh sometimes do laps in Race07 and DLC (btw we are also looking for more people to race with us, so hit me up or say something in here if you're keen for a race some time! Its also $1.50~ in the sale atm). I and quite a few other dudes from in here also play a lot of iRacing, which is really the go to multiplayer sim, but ends up being quite expensive and you have to be rather dedicated to it rather then just a 5 min race here and there, but I think the pay off is worth it for sure. We also have an oval series starting soon in that.

Assetto multiplayer is looking interesting, though its a ways off yet as I understand. netKar PRO (which is the sim the Assetto devs made before Assetto) is great, but sadly not many people play it MP anymore though I'd love to do some online racing in it. (and its about $3 euro atm, which is well worth it, even for just doing time trials and hitting that brilliant hillclimb track up.)

Drunk Badger posted:

I made one for Grid 2, let me rename that to a proper racing group and we can use that.

I'd be down with that. Could always use another way to bug people to race with us.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

H pattern shifter at desk level is not too bad. I really just don't use it though, because pretty much every car I want to drive has a sequential transmission. A nice sequential shifter could be nice; some people rig up the G27 shifter with rubber bands so it returns to the center and can be used as a sequential, but I was always afraid that would fall apart during a race.

As for mods, there should be some way of jamming some foam behind the brake pedal or something so it has some more resistance. Once I had been into sim racing for a few months I wound up just buying CSR Elite pedals ($150) for the load cell brake (measures force applied rather than just the position of the pedal).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Falken posted:

Just had a go of a couple cars in pCARS and was very impressed at the improvements to the road feel. Hard to put it into words but I certainly felt like I was in control.
They're finally deploying FlexiCarcass to more cars than just the Formula B, despite initially wanting to crowbar the older ModalCarcass into doing most things former can. Something which probably would have failed, considering how much an improvement the FlexiCarcass is. And they're not yet done tuning the tires.

Still leaves the transmission and turbo simulations/physics to be overhauled. The new transmission simulation (proper diffs, multidiffs, proper clutch slip, drivetrain losses, etc blah blah) was announced a quite while ago now, still nothing came from it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Apparently I can't change group names. What's a terrible name for our steam group?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

First Corner Heroes.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

First Corner Heroes.

Perfect

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/firstcornerheroes (NoBrakes!)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Joined! And thanks for the heads up on the Race 07 deal. Picked up Race 07 Injection bundle for free due to a bunch of sold trading cards and globes, so even though I'm horrible, perhaps I can join you gents. Of course, my new g27 doesn't get here until the 24th, and I'll be out of town until the 28th. So after that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll have to join once I get power back. I also have race 07 and a ton of the dlc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Essobie posted:

I picked up Assetto Corsa on the Steam sale after pining for getting into sim racing (and because I own a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GT wheel that was gathering dust), and frankly after playing it for just a few laps I realize I really want a much nicer wheel than that, so I picked up a G27.

I plan to just mount it on my regular computer desk as I think it'll be the right height (no problems with the FFGT and they look like they have similar mounts), but I'm worried that the H shifter is going to feel all wrong being that high. What do you guys recommend for mounting that thing low and to the right outside of buying one of those $500 seat/wheel/monitor mounting stations?

Any other must-do mods that'll void my warranty on the wheel/pedals/shifter?

The shifter mounted to the desk will feel just fine after a few minutes. As far as miss you can get a new sporting for the brake pedal. I got the gteye, and it feels much better

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll confirm that the shifter at desk height is fine, I use the G27 / G25 shifter there and it's sweet (On the G27 there is an odd circle on the shifter with the logitech logo on it, on the G25 shifter that is the switch to choose either H shift or sequential, see these images: G27 - http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/logitech/g27/logitech_g27_021.JPG G25 - http://www.finish-line.net/images/hardware/logitech_g25_shifter.jpg ). It's why I got a G25.
Gonna get in on the Steam group :)

Edit: The difference between the G27 and G25 shifter is that the G25 does both H shift and proper sequential, for some reason they removed that for the G27.
Also yes you can pull the pedal units apart and put foam blocks in there to create more resistance, it's really easy to do and there are loads of guides on Google.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 22, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'll buy Race 07 with the nice deal, what's the opinion on the DLC?

And I assume it plays nicely with the G27?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Badger posted:

I'll buy Race 07 with the nice deal, what's the opinion on the DLC?

And I assume it plays nicely with the G27?

I got it but I really didn't like it, am I missing something here? Is there a specific DLC that everyone likes?

Joined the Steam group as Jim :)

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Joined the Steam group as Jim :)

As punishment for your questionable decisions, find a good picture to use for the group.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Badger posted:

As punishment for your questionable decisions, find a good picture to use for the group.

I'm sure it's just me not playing the right expansion or something?

Anyhoots, I think this pic sums us up:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1254759!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alfa-romeo-1.jpg

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

SCTT, Race Evo and... I'm on my phone but I can't remember the name of the other... (I believe it has the 'ring included?) Are all very good.
Though I own all but one of the DLC amd really like the amount of cars/tracks included. Just remember to mess with your force feedback to get it to feel how you like as the default can feel somewhat lifeless.

GT Legends is showing its age, but is also worth owning, though its not DLC.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Joined, and I approve of that picture.

I've been putzing with the challenges in AC, and to me, some of them are a lot more challenging than others. I got the Gold in my warm-up lap for the E92, but couldn't get any of the medals for the race-spec BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cool I have all those Race 07 expansions, I'm gonna try SCTT, it turns out I have SCTT 2 as well.

• Locked thread