Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheers babes. I'll give this a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That gives most of the relevant information.

Personally I am less concerned over the Chinese App Store than I am about the binaries being heavily obfuscated so we don't know what is going on.

To quote someone else I saw somewhere already today.

quote:

So, if you want to run a heavily obfuscated application that exploits your phone, disables application signing, and installs uid 0 processes running on your phone... sponsored by China, go ahead. (The jailbreak app is heavily protected so that competing Chinese companies can't replace the Taiji app store with their own. But who knows what else is in there?)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Seems a stupid question, but since nobody's specifically mentioned anything : is the Evasi0n Jailbreak untethered?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Tyma posted:

Seems a stupid question, but since nobody's specifically mentioned anything : is the Evasi0n Jailbreak untethered?

Yep. It also probably sends your credit cards and passwords to China.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What the gently caress is happening, so happy and mad right now

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
To anyone still waiting on 6.1.4 (since the 7 jb is unknown levels of hosed up), it's coming soon: https://twitter.com/iH8sn0w/status/414809055283396609

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cawd Rud posted:

To anyone still waiting on 6.1.4 (since the 7 jb is unknown levels of hosed up), it's coming soon: https://twitter.com/iH8sn0w/status/414809055283396609

I'm looking forward to 6.1.3 for my iPhone 3GS. It would be nice to just Restore then jailbreak, instead of digging out an old version of iTunes, stitching an IPSW, restoring that, jailbreaking, etc.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dammit, I updated to 7 between the news of the update and the news of all or the problems with it. Now I guess I'm stuck on a non-jail broken iPad - oh well!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
So glad I was at work today, would have updated/jailbroken as soon as it hit.

Looks like I'll be staying put until a 'clean' jailbreak is released.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm staying away for now.. pod2g just put this out

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dutchbstrd posted:

Yep. It also probably sends your credit cards and passwords to China.

Yes, but does it support my steampunk winterboard theme?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Welp, looks like I'm flattening back to stock iOS 7 until this gets cleared up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So if I'm only interested in a few app-type, non-tweak things out of a jailbreak, how much of that could I accomplish by just splitting the cost of a dev account with some like-minded people?

My real dream is having iFile to read thumb drives with the camera connection kit so I can ditch my laptop on the road. Emulators would be cool too.

I would gladly pay money to avoid the drama or worry about who the "good guys" are, but maybe I misunderstand what a JB actually does.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
As a reminder to anyone rushing to jailbreak iOS 7:

This is a "compromised" jailbreak.

At the minimum, it includes binaries for an "unofficial" Cydia (forked from saurik's source) and a Chinese App Store.

It's possible the evad3rs team allowed this Chinese company to bundle in their poo poo without knowing what any of it was. It could be limited to the hacked/cracked apps, or it could include other things that may be a lot worse.

@pod2g (one of the primary evad3rs) says he wasn't even aware of what is included in the jailbreak. That is a huge red flag - how could you not know what is in your own software? They have sold out, and given control of their name and domain to a Chinese group that paid them a *lot* of money.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Paying $100,000-$1,000,000 is a small sum for possibly millions of App Store passwords/credit card details if the hidden software is a sniffer app.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
These types of antics just give Apple even more reason to aggressively pursue an anti-jb stance. That sort of customer information theft will sully their name more than anything.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Well apparently the evasi0n programme connects to a Costa Rican IP without user interaction. You can't run the jailbreak installer if that IP is blocked.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Glad I looked at this thread again before I jailbroke and later found out my battery lasts 2 hours cause my iphone is mining dogecoins

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Hamburlgar posted:

Paying $100,000-$1,000,000 is a small sum for possibly millions of App Store passwords/credit card details if the hidden software is a sniffer app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man I'm boarding a plane when the jailhreak hits and I'm all gently caress yeah! I just landed and SURPRISE CHINA out of nowhere, gently caress.

But hey, $1M is pretty cool good for them. Now to wait for someone to clean and re-release without all the poo poo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Xenomorph posted:

As a reminder to anyone rushing to jailbreak iOS 7:

This is a "compromised" jailbreak.

At the minimum, it includes binaries for an "unofficial" Cydia (forked from saurik's source) and a Chinese App Store.

It's possible the evad3rs team allowed this Chinese company to bundle in their poo poo without knowing what any of it was. It could be limited to the hacked/cracked apps, or it could include other things that may be a lot worse.

@pod2g (one of the primary evad3rs) says he wasn't even aware of what is included in the jailbreak. That is a huge red flag - how could you not know what is in your own software? They have sold out, and given control of their name and domain to a Chinese group that paid them a *lot* of money.

The whole compromised and RED FLAG are both reasons I'm restoring back to stock. Holy poo poo.

Edit: I also just reset all my passwords for accounts stored on my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 22, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ha!

evad3rs are claiming the Chinese deceived them.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/414825035279650816

quote:

The evasi0n controversy with Taig is more than meets the eye. Taig had committed to zero piracy when partnering with @evad3rs

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Link to the mp3 of the phone call (runtime 23:10)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Any chance of a transcript/description of what the phone call is about for those of us without sound?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man, what the gently caress :laffo:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wow. Way to compromise the jailbreaking scene. Not sure I'll ever JB out of paranoia.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Seems Saurik knew about the deal ahead of time.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Hilarious to see the tone of this thread change from one page to the next.

Don't be the test dummy for poo poo like this. Let other people install it first to see what exactly is the deal with it.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
A statement from evad3rs: http://evasi0n.com/l.html

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

evad3rs are claiming the Chinese deceived them.
I love how everyone pretends like the American NSA invented the concept of government-mangaed cracking.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

slomomofo posted:

Any chance of a transcript/description of what the phone call is about for those of us without sound?

It's basically just geohot talking to some fool who is in contact with potential exploit buyers, and the discussion of geohot's terms for selling the exploit.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Hamburlgar posted:

Well apparently the evasi0n programme connects to a Costa Rican IP without user interaction. You can't run the jailbreak installer if that IP is blocked.

Is this an actual thing or is it some kind of twitter rumor?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

the kawaiiest posted:

Apparently it's a CloudFlare site, and they host the evasion site.

Weird but not the weirdest thing in this JB.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man what a miserable pile, evasi0n's statement makes allusions to saurik soliciting offers from the Chinese too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the kawaiiest posted:

code:
--@hubble:~$ nslookup evasi0n.com
Server:		10.0.1.1
Address:	10.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	evasi0n.com
Address: 190.93.254.135
Name:	evasi0n.com
Address: 190.93.255.135

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I find their story so unbelievable. How naive do you have to be to think that there will be no piracy in a Chinese corporate sponsored App Store? How stupid to just assume they're on the up and up (when their process gets full access to the entire system) that you don't even look at what it does before you release? I guess $1,000,000 causes a lot of blind spots.

Their credibility is damaged but I fear it doesn't matter -- if they're the group releasing the only jailbreak then stupid people who don't understand the real consequences of jail breaking and how it undermines the security of the system will use it regardless.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's easier to ask for forgiveness, especially with $1m.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
It's pretty lovely and I had installed the jailbreak earlier today but quickly wiped everything and restored so hopefully they didn't actually steal anything from people's phones.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
What about this, has it been confirmed or debunked?

quote:

Taig also uploads users' private data to http://iphonespirit.com (belongs to Qihoo360 company). @iH8sn0w @pod2g @MuscleNerd @winocm

https://twitter.com/hackl0us/status/414835565524422656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
So is it not safe to use this jailbreak yet?

• Locked thread