Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kitchner posted:

On an actual Paradox games related note, what is everyone's impression of the new DLC announcement for EUIV?

I like the challenge of not playing as the white master race but it's very boring right now. On the other hand, I don't want them to make the new world countries able to conquer loads of poo poo as it's just not historically accurate.

Check out the EU4 thread, it was talked about in great deal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Ahh Yuletide in Crusader Kings, that magical time of the year where a jolly bearded fat man slides down your chimney bringing you.. axes? Oh gently caress it's a Viking raid RUN

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a chance EU4 will be a daily deal in the current steam sale?

(sorry if this is inappropriate / has been discussed)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

fuf posted:

Is there a chance EU4 will be a daily deal in the current steam sale?

(sorry if this is inappropriate / has been discussed)
Very possible. Last sale price I saw it on Steam was maybe 50% a few weeks ago? So I'd expect that or better.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It was $10 on Amazon earlier so there probably will be a decent steam sale for it.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It was 75% off a few days ago directly from Paradox, so I expect it'll come up again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah I think Paradox seems to really like the sales. I'm guessing they make a lot of money off it. They'll usually have one game as a daily deal. I think CK2 was the one during the summer sale, I'm assuming EUIV is getting that this sale.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's $19.99 in the Humble store right now, if that helps.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Troll the ancient Yule tide carol,
Fa la la la la, la la la lan.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I hadn't played Vicky 2 in a while and I tried a game as Ukraine. It's a great country to play as, not too big, rich in resources and right next door to some of Europe topdogs. I was edged out of Great Power status right at the end by China though.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
This was on Pdox Xmas countdown yesterday

I don't think I'm jumping the gun when I say ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Will Rome 2 come with a converter to turn it into a CK2 game at the end? Or will we convert it to Unnamed Paradox Dark Ages Game first?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Clearly that is an Asian elephant. The next game will be set in India.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

This was on Pdox Xmas countdown yesterday

I don't think I'm jumping the gun when I say ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2ROME2

gently caress that; next game is an incochina EU4 DLC (ohpleaseohplease)

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Dibujante posted:

gently caress that; next game is an incochina EU4 DLC (ohpleaseohplease)

Yeah, my first impression on seeing it was "SIAM SIAM SIAM", so while I'd be happy with Rome 2, that's not the first thing I thought of by a long shot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Nozzle posted:

Clearly that is an Asian elephant. The next game will be set in India.
Yeah, nice catch, the ears make it obvious that this is an Asian elephant.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

In the last stream of the office multiplayer game they had going Johan said that after this game is done, their next multiplayer game will also be on EU4. From that personally I inferred that directly following the release of Conquest of Paradise they'll be doing another EU4 DLC, so I'm willing to throw my bet on this being a southern Asia EU4 DLC.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YF-23 posted:

In the last stream of the office multiplayer game they had going Johan said that after this game is done, their next multiplayer game will also be on EU4. From that personally I inferred that directly following the release of Conquest of Paradise they'll be doing another EU4 DLC, so I'm willing to throw my bet on this being a southern Asia EU4 DLC.

What would Doge Andrea Gritti have to do with South Asia though?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Are you the rain man of European portraiture?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

NihilCredo posted:

Isn't Paradox planning on announcing three (four?) different games?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Two of which will prolly be lack-luster paradox published games, though.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Two of which will prolly be lack-luster paradox published games, though.

Spotsylvania Court House: Aerial Combat

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

This is just paradox jumping onto the doge meme bandwagon :shibewow:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

This is just paradox jumping onto the doge meme bandwagon :shibewow:

pdxjohan, please accept dogecoin as payment for this one DLC only.

:ssh: I don't actually have any dogecoin but I just want to go through life knowing that this happened once :ssh:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Paradox forums never get old .:allears: Johan says he balances games around their office mutiplayer sessions. Typical forum people say they're never playing EU4 again because some how they are now Creative assembly and playing office mutiplayer campaigns means you hate the player's single player experience.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

James The 1st posted:

Paradox forums never get old .:allears: Johan says he balances games around their office mutiplayer sessions. Typical forum people say they're never playing EU4 again because some how they are now Creative assembly and playing office mutiplayer campaigns means you hate the player's single player experience.

It sort of makes sense on a surface level, because the vast, vast, vast majority of the people playing the game will never, ever touch multiplayer, so why balance around that mode? In practice though, it seems to feel like what it really means is that lots of gamey exploits get fixed which make the game more challenging, which is good.

I actually found this bit more frustrating/disappointing:

Johan posted:

A) lack of things to do at peace.
Well, that is by design, as eu is about building an empire. Peace is about recovery and rest between conquest.

:smith: I wish the DLC would push the game in a direction that makes peace time and internal politics more interesting. Just painting the map does get a bit old after awhile.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

:smith: I wish the DLC would push the game in a direction that makes peace time and internal politics more interesting. Just painting the map does get a bit old after awhile.

Yeah, gently caress people who want to play a sandbox game in any more than the one true way.

Like, I get having a defined game scope, trying to include every drat thing there is to do will always result in a muddled, lovely design. But this is just moronic. If EU4 is about building an empire, and nothing else, why the gently caress can I even play as Kongo? Why is that even in the game as a thing that you can do, when it's completely impossible to play in the ONE TRUE PLAYSTYLE?

There's also the issue that EU4 combat is not particularly engaging or fun on its own. Civ 5 is pretty fundamentally about warfare, but that's OK because its combat mechanics are pretty drat satisfying to play through. To make an even more apt comparison, Empire: Total War is entirely about conquering and warfare, but that's because it's built around an RTS core.

And this doesn't even bring in the fact that if your game's scope is "Build an empire", and you have pretensions to historical realism, then there's a lot more involved in that than just painting the map.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

It sort of makes sense on a surface level, because the vast, vast, vast majority of the people playing the game will never, ever touch multiplayer, so why balance around that mode? In practice though, it seems to feel like what it really means is that lots of gamey exploits get fixed which make the game more challenging, which is good.

Indeed, it's something of a shame that the MP balance means the AI priorities tend to get ignored (though we do have Wiz now), and also anything internal gets ignored completely.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't even look at EU4 as a game, as such. It's more of a scripting engine that comes with a game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

Like, I get having a defined game scope, trying to include every drat thing there is to do will always result in a muddled, lovely design.

Do you? Because for the rest of your post you seem pretty mad we don't try to do everything, so I'm a little confused. And you can still play "Build your empire" as Kongo, it's just harder than, say, France. As Johan said, EU is primarily about building your empire - you can do other stuff if you like, but we can only put so much stuff into a game and that's the focus here.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You can build an empire as Kongo, itll just (probably) be on a different scope and scale

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Do you? Because for the rest of your post you seem pretty mad we don't try to do everything, so I'm a little confused.

I'm not mad that you can't do everything, I'm mad that there isn't always something to do.

Darkrenown posted:

And you can still play "Build your empire" as Kongo, it's just harder than, say, France.

This is so much horseshit and you know it. You cannot possibly type this and mean it.

Darkrenown posted:

As Johan said, EU is primarily about building your empire - you can do other stuff if you like, but we can only put so much stuff into a game and that's the focus here.

So what the hell is the trade system? Or the papal controller system? If you want me to take off the gloves, Europa Universalis is already a kludged together mess of systems. And don't act like internal management mechanics are "out of scope", otherwise what is the stability system?

And amount of effort is immaterial here, since internal mechanics could be the subject of an expansion pack. But they won't, because here we have a quote from a dev drawing an entirely arbitrary line in the game's scope.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Theres an Achievement to conquer Africa as the Kongo for a reason.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Westminster System posted:

Theres an Achievement to conquer Africa as the Kongo for a reason.

Because there's no other reason to play them otherwise? :v:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fintilgin posted:

loving this.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DStecks posted:

Europa Universalis is already a kludged together mess of systems.

Kind of like the "sphere of influence" minigame in Victoria 2, and social/political reform movements. They feel bolted on to the rest of the game. I guess the problem with the latter is the DLC model precluding extensive testing for making sweeping changes with new systems that actually matter in areas of gameplay outside the minigame itself.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

This is so much horseshit and you know it. You cannot possibly type this and mean it.

People take all sorts of tiny terrible countries and build massive empires out of them, or for a more limited scope, become local powers. It's not impossible.

DStecks posted:

So what the hell is the trade system? Or the papal controller system? If you want me to take off the gloves, Europa Universalis is already a kludged together mess of systems. And don't act like internal management mechanics are "out of scope", otherwise what is the stability system?

Saying something is the primary focus of a game doesn't mean there can be literally nothing else in said game, although you could say the trade system is there to get you money for empire building and/or to provide something to fight over. Likewise, Papal control can get you CBs. And the stability system is pretty simple, you can't really say "oh, you have a simple value that represents internal politics so you may as well have a detailed political/court/faction system".

DStecks posted:

And amount of effort is immaterial here, since internal mechanics could be the subject of an expansion pack. But they won't, because here we have a quote from a dev drawing an entirely arbitrary line in the game's scope.

That's what game designers do, you have to pick a scope for your game. Also, expansion packs in no way free you from time/effort limitations.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 25, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Saying something is the primary focus of a game doesn't mean there can be literally nothing else in said game...

That's what game designers do, you have to pick a scope for your game.

Are you listening to yourself at all?

The trade system and papal control system can help you build an empire, but so would a million other things that would be obviously out of scope for EU.

What I'm saying is that I can't see a sane scope definition that includes trade and papal control, but doesn't include internal politics. And you know what? I don't even care that trade and papal control are "out of scope", since they simulate systems that were very much a part of the era EU4 depicts.

So stop feeding us bullshit about internal politics being "out of scope", and stop acting like I'm asking for a total quantum simulation. EU4 needs something interesting for the player to do when not at war. Period. Scope is important for guiding design, but it is not an inviolable law of the universe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I posted my thoughts on this in the EU4 thread a while back. It was more about the paradox (no pun intended) present in the game's design where it's pulling the player in two directions simultaneously. Employing systems intended to slow down expansion/conquest, while making everything but conquest not all that fun.

quote:

It's a problem with EU4 in general. General Paradox thought is they need to find ways to slow down player expansion. Maybe that's true, but at the same time they don't ever add much to do besides expand. So ultimately when a player isn't expanding, they're really bored and the cure is to expand. They'll game the systems in Paradox puts into place to slow down expansion and expand anyways. If peacetime gameplay systems were put into place, players would compulsively expand less often. They'd be less bored when they aren't at war. Vicky, for example, sees generally slow rates of expansion. There are some exceptions, like when countries historically grew large and have events to facilitate that, or when a player has a specific conquest goal in mind (world conquest or even continent conquest) but most players I see play fairly slowly in Victoria, not because they have to but because there's enough to occupy their time that they don't feel as compelled. If V2 didn't have the factory system and world economy and the internal politics were really simplified, but every other system remained the same, I guarantee you that you'd see a whole lot more players trying to exploit the infamy mechanics and expand rapidly.

This is one of the reasons why I want to see a faction system, just so being at peace wouldn't be so dull. I'd be less bloodthirsty if being at peace was more interesting. Factions might not automatically make everyone drop their warmonger tendencies but at least it could be one part of the puzzle to actually properly slowing down the player. If modders or Paradox increases core times, adds more provinces (and balances them properly unlike M&T), and so on without doing anything else, yeah maybe expansion will be lower but ultimately it will just serve to make the game more boring, by increasing the lengths of time the dull parts last and shortening the exciting parts. So to this end I would urge Paradox to not slow down expansion at all until a DLC or something comes around to make the other parts of the game more interesting.

edit: And to support this point, I will say that I find myself at war a lot less often as a colonial power simply because I'm entertained while at peace. But that's obviously not something most countries will actually engage in.

I always thought EU4 wasn't supposed to be a war game. It's not HoI. Johan always talked like games such as HoI were different from usual because of their focus on war, whereas EU is meant to be more of an open sandbox that's fun no matter how you play it. But it isn't quite there, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DStecks posted:

Are you listening to yourself at all? ...

Dude, I know you get your rocks off attacking the Paradox devs in the ~*~Paradox Thread~*~, but take a chill pill; he's not being unreasonable here, but you make yourself seem unreasonable when you have a knee-jerk reaction.

• Locked thread