Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So I tried out VASSAL tonight, and was pleasantly surprised by how straightforward it is compared to what I expected. Anyone else play on it? I'd love to get some games in with Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

jivjov posted:

Oh that's handy.

I bought 2 cores and 1 each of the TIE and X-Wing expansion packs, so every so often I'll decide to run 2 TIEs that happen to share the token from the expansion set. Thankfully, switching to a different nameless pilot is rarely an issue, and my local league is fine with squads going to 102 points in the event of something like that.

That sounds magical. 102 points would allow me to run 2x Saber SQ. TIE Interceptors and 3x Alpha SQ. TIE Interceptors.

Glorious.

e:

pbpancho posted:

So I tried out VASSAL tonight, and was pleasantly surprised by how straightforward it is compared to what I expected. Anyone else play on it? I'd love to get some games in with Goons.

I'll finally get around to installing it and figuring it out. I'll let you know when I've got it working.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pbpancho posted:

Never heard of it until now; installing now.

EDIT: This thing seems fascinating. How is it not running afoul of copyright violations though?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 10, 2013

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

jivjov posted:

Never heard of it until now; installing now.

EDIT: This thing seems fascinating. How is it not running afoul of copyright violations though?

Well they don't have the card text for most stuff, so Fantasy Flight (and other game companies) are OK with it. There are TONS of modules, I know people play Twilight Struggle, Combat Commander, and more on it. I used a youtube tutorial in 4 parts for X-Wing VASSAL. Should come up at the top if you search for it. Audio was a little patchy but it got the point across.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pbpancho posted:

Well they don't have the card text for most stuff, so Fantasy Flight (and other game companies) are OK with it. There are TONS of modules, I know people play Twilight Struggle, Combat Commander, and more on it. I used a youtube tutorial in 4 parts for X-Wing VASSAL. Should come up at the top if you search for it. Audio was a little patchy but it got the point across.

Omitting card text keeps them safe with FFG, but why isn't lucasfilm/Disney jumping on them about using images of X-Wings, TIEs, etc?

It's not that I want them to get C&D'd, but it just seems too good to be true.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Get the 4.6.0 modules, the old ones have incorrect firing arcs for the ships.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
It's been awhile since we've seen a new wave of ships, I'm curious if we're pretty much done with it at this point.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SquadronROE posted:

It's been awhile since we've seen a new wave of ships, I'm curious if we're pretty much done with it at this point.

Wave 3 just came out this fall

Interceptor repaints are coming, and two scenario ships are coming

Wave 4 will probably hit in spring 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wave 4 is confirmed, but they've yet to reveal anything from it. The FAQ for the big scenario ships has an entry "Are these two ships part of wave 4?" and their answer was "No, these large ships and the Interceptor pack are special releases and are not part of the upcoming Wave 4" (slightly paraphrased)

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I read a rumor somewhere that we're also going to get a big Imperial ship or two at some point, perhaps a Lancer or a Carrack. I recently dug out some of my old Star Wars stuff from my childhood stash at my mom's house since I'm around for Christmas, and remembered I own one of these:

:getin:

It's an electronic "Collector Fleet" Star Destroyer, and it's about 15 inches long. And the lights and sounds on mine still work! I'm thinking about figuring out how to use this big sumbitch with X-Wing Miniatures. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Since the scale is all wonky, perhaps as a sort of setpiece unit that sits just off the actual board in the "background" that can take shots at Rebel ships and take long range fire in return or something.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

I read a rumor somewhere that we're also going to get a big Imperial ship or two at some point, perhaps a Lancer or a Carrack. I recently dug out some of my old Star Wars stuff from my childhood stash at my mom's house since I'm around for Christmas, and remembered I own one of these:

:getin:

It's an electronic "Collector Fleet" Star Destroyer, and it's about 15 inches long. And the lights and sounds on mine still work! I'm thinking about figuring out how to use this big sumbitch with X-Wing Miniatures. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Since the scale is all wonky, perhaps as a sort of setpiece unit that sits just off the actual board in the "background" that can take shots at Rebel ships and take long range fire in return or something.

Well, the corvette and transport are also wonky on scale. I imagine we'll learn about how they're supposed to be used soon, and then we can start to consider rules for miniature Star Destroyers and such.

Also there is supposedly a tile set in the works for doing things like trench run missions. I'm sure those will have rules for stationary turrets.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

PJOmega posted:

Well, the corvette and transport are also wonky on scale. I imagine we'll learn about how they're supposed to be used soon, and then we can start to consider rules for miniature Star Destroyers and such.

Also there is supposedly a tile set in the works for doing things like trench run missions. I'm sure those will have rules for stationary turrets.

I kinda hope that they keep the dual release idea going- both actual waves of new ships intermingled with scenario/'epic' stuff like the Corvette, the Transport, Death Star trench runs (would work for taking out a Star Destroyer as well) and what have you.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

God, some larger set pieces would be amazing. I would love to be able to slowly re-enact the entirety of TIE Fighter's story line.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

No More Expensive poo poo You Have To Buy For Cards.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

No More Expensive poo poo You Have To Buy For Cards.

This. I'm all down for larger models but seeing as they'll have exclusive cards for 100pt battles makes it a bit of bullshit.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm just about to get into this game. Do people every proxy the upgrade cards, when playing casually at a LGS? I'm sure that for official play you need the real copies.

Proxying seems more reasonable than having to buy multiple ships from a faction you don't play, or multiple big ships just for the extra copies of a few cards.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Caddrel posted:

I'm just about to get into this game. Do people every proxy the upgrade cards, when playing casually at a LGS? I'm sure that for official play you need the real copies.

Proxying seems more reasonable than having to buy multiple ships from a faction you don't play, or multiple big ships just for the extra copies of a few cards.

Iv never had a problem using proxy cards for casual games. I only buy ships that I will physically use.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Caddrel posted:

Proxy cards are super common. I've never seen a person complain about it.

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP
I'm game for playing some with goons. I'm pretty terrible and just really enjoy the "OH god just banked into the side of my falcon" type moments in the game.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I love the guys who set up a great shot and then end up flying off the board.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I was at the FFG Gamestore (and HQ) in Minneapolis on Wednesday, I saw the Coreillian Corvette and the Rebel Troop Transport in a display case. Both were very impressive, but the Coreillian Corvette was jaw dropping. so much detail... it really is awesome and I hope the production versions are just as good.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I was at the FFG Gamestore (and HQ) in Minneapolis on Wednesday, I saw the Coreillian Corvette and the Rebel Troop Transport in a display case. Both were very impressive, but the Coreillian Corvette was jaw dropping. so much detail... it really is awesome and I hope the production versions are just as good.

Were you there in the evening with a couple other people, who were asking if the models were used in a game? I think I was playing City of Horror right next to you guys.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Finally acquired a Y-Wing and wave 1 X-Wing and it feels like I won the lottery. I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to find one at MSRP.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

X-Wings are in stock at MM and CSI. I think the Y-Wings are still sold out, not sure about the Imperial stuff.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It seems like they are also on amazon at discount from retail.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Expansion-Pack/dp/1616613777

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Just picked up an X and A wing last night at the local game store. I needed to expand my rebels from the one X wing I had.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Why would you ever want a Y-Wing, aside from living out TIE Fighter reenactments?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SquadronROE posted:

Why would you ever want a Y-Wing, aside from living out TIE Fighter reenactments?

They look cool. Whatever reason could you need?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

pbpancho posted:

Were you there in the evening with a couple other people, who were asking if the models were used in a game? I think I was playing City of Horror right next to you guys.

Yep, that sounds about right, two women and three men. Two out of our group are not really board / wargamers. I was driving and I wanted to stop :D I wish we had a gamestore like that around here, we are all from Sioux Falls, SD

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Good point. I do like the look of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's less vital now that B-Wings exist, but I got a LOT of use out of Y-Wings with Ion Turrets. Perfect for shutting down TIE formations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

They are a very solid support ship. It's great for frustrating TIE swarms and negating the Interceptors maneuverability. The torpedoes are more of a situational bonus.

B-Wings are less vulnerable to crits, and while their Ion turrets can reach to range 3, it's not a turret. However the B-Wing is fairly maneuverable at 1 and 2 speed.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 20, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Y-Wing supremacy

Anyone who disagrees can eat poo poo

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dutch is a really solid pilot thats why

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Epi Lepi posted:

I kind of love the idea from Clone Wars that the Y-Wing we all know and love is actually a stripped-down version of a starfighter that was covered in useless paneling, I just kind of wish someone had had the idea before the EU filled up with countless Y-Wings that all had the exact same hot-rod treatment.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

alg posted:

Y-Wing supremacy

Anyone who disagrees can eat poo poo

Agreed. I have 5 Y-Wings for at 100 point Gold Squadron appreciation station. It's actually pretty fun, if gimmicky.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Leo Showers posted:

Agreed. I have 5 Y-Wings for at 100 point Gold Squadron appreciation station. It's actually pretty fun, if gimmicky.
Sounds crazy. Do you run Dutch and 4 Golds all with R2s?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
If anyone has gotten VASSAL setup and watched the tutorials, PM me if you're up for a game tonight.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Over the break I'm going to run a 300 point game between a few friends, tentatively themed on the Battle of Endor. Each side will be broken up into two 'Flight Groups' of 150 points; FG Gold and FG Green for the Rebels, while the Empire has FG Alpha and FG Gamma. The inspiration I took for this set up is from the X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter video game, where each force had a number of flight groups.

I haven't decided what type of terrain or asteroids I want to put down yet, I think I'll mock up a few ideas I have to make it more cinematic and get a chaotic feel to the situation. I do know that I want to mark out a few deployment zones on a large table we'll use and randomly assign each Flight Group to even add a bit more chaos to the situation. I also wish to avoid a massive head on situation, I'd like a more fluid dogfight and I am trying to give some ships like A-Wings a chance at not being alpha'd off the field too early.

Each Rebel player picked their own Flight Group composition, while I put the Empire team together. I'm trying to avoid a massive amount of cheese on my part, but I have tried to stick to a theme.

Rebel Team posted:

FG Gold
1 • Han Solo - Millennium Falcon (46)
- Chewbacca (4)
- Millennium Falcon (1)
• Total : 51
2 • Luke Skywalker - X-wing (28)
- R2-D2 (4)
• Total : 32
3 • Blue Squadron Pilot - B-wing (22)
- Ion Cannon (3)
• Total : 25
4 • Blue Squadron Pilot - B-wing (22)
- Ion Cannon (3)
• Total : 25
5 • Prototype Pilot - A-wing (17)
• Total : 17

FG Green
1 • Horton Salm - Y-wing (25)
- R2 Astromech (1)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)
- Ion Cannon Turret (5)
• Total : 39
2 • "Dutch Vander" - Y-wing (23)
- R2 Astromech (1)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)
- Ion Cannon Turret (5)
• Total : 33
3 • Gray Squadron Pilot - Y-wing (20)
- R2 Astromech (1)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)
- Ion Cannon Turret (5)
• Total : 34
4 • Green Squadron Pilot - A-wing (19)
- Push The Limit (3)
• Total : 22
5 • Green Squadron Pilot - A-wing (19)
- Push The Limit (3)
• Total : 22

Imperial Force posted:

FG Alpha
1 • Howlrunner - TIE Fighter (18)
- Swarm Tactics (2)
• Total : 20
2 • "Dark Curse" - TIE Fighter (16)
• Total : 16
3 • Winged Gundark - TIE Fighter (15)
• Total : 15
4 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot - TIE Fighter (13)
• Total : 13
5 • Turr Phennir - TIE interceptor (25)
- Determination (1)
• Total : 26
6 • Saber Squadron Pilot - TIE interceptor (21)
- Push The Limit (3)
• Total : 24
7 • Alpha Squadron Pilot - TIE interceptor (18)
• Total : 18
8 • Alpha Squadron Pilot - TIE interceptor (18)
• Total : 18

FG Gamma
1 • Captain Jonus - TIE Bomber (22)
- Concussion Missiles (4)
- Proton Bombs (5)
• Total : 31
2 • Scimitar Squadron Pilot - TIE Bomber (16)
- Assault Missiles (5)
- Seismic Charges (2)
• Total : 23
3 • Scimitar Squadron Pilot - TIE Bomber (16)
- Assault Missiles (5)
- Seismic Charges (2)
4 • Scimitar Squadron Pilot - TIE Bomber (16)
- Assault Missiles (5)
- Seismic Charges (2)
5 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot - TIE Fighter (13)
6 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot - TIE Fighter (13)
7 • Academy Pilot - TIE Fighter (12)
• Total : 12
8 • Academy Pilot - TIE Fighter (12)
• Total : 12

I think it'll shape up to be a fun match, the last time I took TIE Bombers I completely murdered the Millenium Falcon. I suppose the only concern is the amount of Y-Wings and B-Wings in the lists. While they are at 1 agility, they can certainly punch fairly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I refuse to acknowledge a battle of endor list that doesnt have lando and wedge

• Locked thread