Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like this part:

quote:

But there is only one true opinion to have about A&E’s suspension of Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson: it is a sin, somewhere between adultery and bestiality. So it’s like cheating on your spouse with a sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I guess the word "between" is too complicated?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
You know you're in for a treat when an article starts off with:

quote:

Whatever horrifying condition deprived Pajama Boy of his genitals, I suppose we must be thankful he can’t pass it along to future generations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So is Joe The (Not Really A) Plumber still PJ Media's far flung Israel correspondent?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought that guy looked Jewish and was extremely confused to see him labeled Anti-Semitic.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought that guy looked Jewish and was extremely confused to see him labeled Anti-Semitic.

That's what self-hating jews are for! You can go to temple, honor the sabbath and give your foreskin to Yaweh all you like, but the moment you deviate from the wingnut script one iota, you're due for a stern talking-down from Israel's true guarsians, Ruch and Michelle Bachmann.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
Jonah Goldberg shows us that making fun of a straight man because he's acting like a sissy gay-boy is totally different than making fun of a sissy gay-boy because liberals are the real homophobes, etc.

Jonah Goldberg posted:

Dear Reader (Including those of you who rioted over the lack of a "Dear Reader" gag last week),
By the time this "news'' letter reaches your e-mail box, pretty much every joke imaginable about "Pajama Boy" will have been made. But I reject such a dour Malthusian view of Pajama Boy humor!

When the brouhaha started, I was tempted to make the following joke on Twitter:
Q: What's the hardest part of being picked as the poster boy for the pajama-boy ad campaign?
A: Telling your parents you're gay.

Now, quick, before you call A&E and have my reality show canceled, the first problem with this joke is that you're not supposed to make any derogatory jokes about being gay anymore. And that's okay by me so long as people avoid being complete tools about enforcing that rule.

But there's a deeper problem with the joke. It's insulting to gays. And I don't mean that merely in the sense that it's wrong to make gays the butts of jokes anymore (You know what I mean!). I mean that there are plenty of gay dudes -- and women! -- who are vastly more masculine than Pajama Boy. Pajama Boy doesn't exude homosexuality; he gives off the anodyne scent of emasculation. Seriously, the construction worker from the Village People would kick his rear end. Besides, this is the gay enrollment ad for Obamacare (there's also this). All of these dudes are manlier than Pajama Boy.

If you try to play out the life of Pajama Boy in your mind, he probably has a girlfriend. It's just that she's wearing the pants in the relationship, as they used to say. I picture her like Sarah Silverman in School of Rock or the girlfriend at the beginning of Office Space who everyone knows is cheating on Peter.

Pajama Boy is a Low-T liberal who wears a "this is what a feminist looks like" T-shirt and flinches whenever his girlfriend makes a sudden movement. He's the sort of guy who thinks the "Consensual Sex Contract" given to him by his liberal-arts college R.A. is a good place to start, but ultimately doesn't go far enough. Charlie Cooke compares him to Leonard from Big Bang Theory, but I think he's more like Raj, who "manscapes" (and moisturizes!) and is ecstatic when he's invited to girls' night. I imagine he was terribly conflicted when his girlfriend finally made him watch The Silence of the Lambs (he wanted to rent Pitch Perfect again), because while he was horrified by all of the violence and he was dutifully empowered by the Clarice Starling character, he was secretly thrilled by the idea of having his own human-flesh girl suit.

What Were They Thinking?

First, it's worth stating this isn't about Ethan Krupp, the Obamacare activist who plays Pajama Boy. For all I know he bow-hunts alligators and rides a Harley. Though, come on, it's doubtful. The point is that the Obama social-media folks, for whom Krupp works, are going for an image, so what Krupp is like in real life is irrelevant and people should probably leave the guy alone.

There's a debate over why on earth the promoters of Obamacare would pick this image to hawk their wares. One side says that it was a brilliantly cynical move because it got people talking just like those "Brosurance" ads with the keg-stands got people talking. (The motto of the campaign is, after all, "Get Talking.") If you can make young people chatter about Obamacare, goes the theory, more will eventually sign up. The other side of the argument is that this offers a real peak into the collective mind of liberalism (and the collective incompetence of the Obamacare team). Pajama Boy represents an actual constituency. There are males (if not necessarily "men") who fit this profile.

Like most people who've thought it through, I'm more inclined to the latter. The Pajama Boy image is an extension of the original Thanksgiving enrollment video, which featured parents saying, "We love you no matter what, but it's time to get covered." Which isn't quite as weird as saying "We are admirals of the pantless armada, give us your ball-bearing vestibules," but still strange. The "we love you no matter what" line -- like the "get talking" line -- is an attempt to make getting insurance both edgy and mature at the same time. Edgy because there's a vague hint that talking about this stuff violates a taboo or is difficult. Mature because it's something grown-ups do.

But there are problems. For starters, Obamacare actually delays adulthood. You get to stay on your parents' plan until you're 26! Which means the young people we're talking about are 27-year-olds! Twenty-seven used to be the age of seriously grown men. John Wayne was 27 in the Lucky Texan. You can go to college, enlist in the army, do a couple tours, and come home again before the age of 27. The average age of marriage for men is 28. (Though the women I've talked to think dudes who have difficult talks in their jammie onesies while drinking hot cocoa might have to wait a good deal longer. Seriously if women had Terminator-like vision that saw the world by sexual attraction instead of infrared, Pajama Boy would be an almost invisible boy-shaped vapor.)

Moreover, isn't it interesting to see the contempt Gen-X and Baby Boomer liberals have for Millennials, or at least Millennial men? (By the way, where are the ads targeting young women?) Twenty-something males are either testosterone-addled idiots doing keg-stands or they're suffering from estrogen poisoning.

Last, I love the rearguard effort from liberals trying to turn the mockery of Pajama Boy into proof of right-wing sexual insecurity. It seems to me this is a pretty desperate attempt by the MSNBC fanboy set to compensate for the fact that so many people find Pajama Boy pathetic. That cuts too close to home. So it must be more proof of racism or gender confusion. But if you just take a step back, you can see the problem. If you find yourself in the position of arguing that real men get snuggly in their jammies and drink cocoa, you need to push the keyboard away and walk around the block a bit.

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012
For folks with such disdain for crit theory and the ivory tower this is awful drat close to semiotics

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2013/12/americas-reaction-to-phil-robertson-of.html

quote:

To paraphrase Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, "Do you like Phil Robertson?" [The Gospel According to Phil, GQ.com, 12-18-13]:

On why he voted Romney in 2012
Is he calling ducks, or a silent majority?

Lawrence O'Donnell posted:

“If I'm lost at three o'clock in a major metropolitan area...I ask myself: Where would I rather be trying to walk with my wife and children? One of the guys who's running for president is out of Chicago, Illinois, and the other one is from Salt Lake City, Utah. [Editor's note: Romney is from Boston, not Salt Lake City.] Where would I rather be turned around at three o'clock in the morning? I opted for Salt Lake City. I think it would be safer.”

On growing up in pre-civil-rights-era Louisiana

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field.... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Were blacks happy in pre-civil rights America?

"Who cares,"is the only logical answer, for in modern America, the corporate media, academia, and government exists as a perpetual springboard for addressing any slight against black people, amplifying this often imagined transgression as the return of the most bigoted form of thinking.

Considering the state of once-civilized cities like Newark, Philadelphia, Birmingham, Detroit, Camden, Baltimore, Memphis, and Jackson (Mississippi) - a now 86 percent black city that has elected a radical black supremacist/separatist as mayor - it's obvious the liberated black population of America has no problem mistreating formerly white cities and, more importantly, fellow black people.

Recall, more blacks have murdered in Detroit over a ten-year period (2003-20012) by other blacks than blacks were lynched in an 86-year period of time.

Of course you'd be safer in Salt Lake City than Chicago at 3 a.m. Why, just last night two black males, one a 74-year-old church deacon, were gunned down in the almost entirely black South Side of Chicago [Blues musician, church deacon killed in shootings blocks and minutes apart, Chicago Tribune, 12-20-13]:

A South Side blues musician about to record on a major label and a 74-year-old church deacon known for his work with youth were shot to death blocks from each other within 30 minutes, authorities said.

Police are looking into whether the deaths of Eric "Guitar" Davis, 41 and Willie Cooper could be connected, but had no details this morning. No one was reported in custody for either shooting.

Cooper, a retired CTA driver, was shot to death around 4:45 a.m. Thursday as he pulled up in the 7000 block of South East End Avenue. Police said he was ambushed by gunmen who opened fire on his Chevy sedan.

About half an hour later, Davis found dead in a car about three blocks north, in the 6700 block of South East End Avenue, police said. He had also been shot several times.

Eric "Guitar" Davis and Willie Cooper are just two black people, gunned down by two other black people in the South Side of Chicago; who cares, right?

Not when the names of Emmett Till and those four black girls killed in Birmingham in 1963 can be dragged out again to guilt white people and the Duck Commander about their inherited, collective, racist past. [Lawrence O'Donnell Tears Into 'Duck Dynasty' Star's Racist Comments, Huffington Post, 12-20-13]:

O'Donnell was dismayed by the comments, and said that Robertson lived through the murder of Emmett Till and the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church that killed four little girls.

"This has nothing to do with belief," O'Donnell argued. "This is about fact, historical fact."

Symbols.

That's all Till and those four black girls in Birmingham are to those trying to beat down any sense of racial pride and loyalty among white people, who realize something sinister is going on in a country where black pride and loyalty to the black race is encouraged and promoted (the same for the growing Hispanic community as well).

The Chicago edition of DNAINFO.com shares with us that 401 people have been murdered in Chicago this year; HeyJackAss.com points out it's actually 424, with 80.2 percent of the victims being black, 17.9 percent Hispanic, and only 1.9 percent white (Chicago is almost exactly 1/3 white, 1/3 black/ and 1/3 Hispanic in terms of demographics).

To paraphrase Clarence, George Bailey's guardian angel from It's a Wonderful Life: "You see White America, you really had a wonderful country. Don't you see what a mistake it was to just throw it away?"

Black America was much better off living in pre-civil rights America, when they were forced to live-up to a standard of civilization they are incapable of maintaining/sustaining on their own when granted the freedom to do so.

Just look to Detroit.

Just look to Camden.

Just look to New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

The great fear of those who seek the ultimate dispossession of whites from the nation their ancestors built, is that figures will emerge through the carefully choreographed menagerie of our non-white future; individuals who are beyond control, liberated from being apart of the egalitarian Global Force for Good the United States has become.

Standing firm for a specified morality is the ultimate form of protest in a world where immorality is promoted and rewarded; where treason is seen as a road to riches, rather than to perdition.

You can scoff at Duck Dynasty; you can laugh at the Robertson clan, pointing out that these hillbillies/rednecks are hardly worthy of admiration.

But you'd be missing the point.

Just like the Paula Deen situation showed us, something powerful has been building in America.

With the Duck Dynasty situation, it's almost palpable.

White America has, collectively, been a sitting duck for a long, long time.

One day, the right duck call will go out, and the sight of a large portion of white Americans daring to fly together will shock the establishment into an overreaction; but it's the reaction by many white Americans to the attack on Phil Robertson that shows us why a constant barrage of propaganda must be broadcast into our homes on a daily basis.

When you stand together, united, the pillars of the establishment shake, revealing a situation where almost every waking hour has been expended to create world where Glee and Modern Family can appear on network television; where every dollar has been spent to tell us 83 percent Detroit in 2013 is in a better situation than that of 84 percent white Detroit in 1953.

Lies.

A facade of unimaginable lies; where a white guy - famous for a long beard and a duck call - can become a symbol of defiance.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

At first I was really confused because the piece is poorly written, and a site called "stuff black people don't like" has to be some kind of ironic joke, and should probably be a blog about black issues by black writers but nooooope. He's written 6 (edit: 10) books about how awful black people are, including

BanjoFish fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 22, 2013

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BJA posted:

I love the dittoheads that make comments like this:

"Um, hello?... The 28 Amendment makes it illegal, under our Constitution, for Congress to pass a law that they do not have to abide by... Am I the only one left who has read our Constitution?"

Somebody said that on Facebook once, I said "hey there isnt a 28th amendment" and she said "yeah but there should be" :/

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BanjoFish posted:

At first I was really confused because the piece is poorly written, and a site called "stuff black people don't like" has to be some kind of ironic joke, and should probably be a blog about black issues by black writers but nooooope. He's written 6 (edit: 10) books about how awful black people are, including

snip

aint he a dream? :swoon:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Race Realists posted:

[Editor's note: Romney is from Boston, not Salt Lake City.]

Given how much this guy seems to hate Detroit you'd think he would know that Romney grew up there, or at least in one of rich lily white suburbs.

Shagman
Oct 25, 2007

Blood for the Blood Puddle!
Skulls for the Skull Pile!
Paul Kersey (the author of Stuff Black People Don't Like) is at the absolute most radical extreme of the White Nationalist movement. In fact I can't think of a single public figure of the movement more radical than him, mostly because I don't know anyone else stupid enough to publicly call for the extermination of all black people on their Twitter account (@sbpdl):

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is "Paul Kersey" even a public figure? Dude goes by a fake name doesn't he? "Paul Kersey" is the vigilante from "Death Wish", played by Charles Bronson in the film.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jonah Goldberg posted:

When the brouhaha started, I was tempted to make the following joke on Twitter:
Q: What's the hardest part of being picked as the poster boy for the pajama-boy ad campaign?
A: Telling your parents you're gay.

Now, quick, before you call A&E and have my reality show canceled, the first problem with this joke is that you're not supposed to make any derogatory jokes about being gay anymore.
And that's okay by me so long as people avoid being complete tools about enforcing that rule.

That would be a great show, you could call it "Jonah Goldberg Can't Defend His Own Ideas." Just film him squirming in a hundred TV interviews.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Now, quick, before you call A&E and have my reality show canceled, the first problem with this joke is that you're not supposed to make any derogatory jokes about being gay anymore. And that's okay by me so long as people avoid being complete tools about enforcing that rule.

Did he just equate making bigoted jokes about an oppressed group to people in that group getting offended by slurs about them...while making a bigoted joke?

"I'll agree to not make any more gay jokes, but only if you agree not to be upset when I do it anyway!...Fags."

Shagman
Oct 25, 2007

Blood for the Blood Puddle!
Skulls for the Skull Pile!

Zwabu posted:

Is "Paul Kersey" even a public figure? Dude goes by a fake name doesn't he? "Paul Kersey" is the vigilante from "Death Wish", played by Charles Bronson in the film.

In addition to his blog which is often cited in White Nationalist blogs & forums, Paul Kersey regularly contributes to VDARE - a "real" publication - which puts him on a level above the regular White Nationalist blogger & forum poster in terms of representing the WN movement.

Edit - I almost forgot: Thomas Sowell name-dropped him in a column on WND entitled Black Mobs And The Coming Race War. He agreed that blacks ruin things.

Thomas Sowell is black himself.

Shagman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 22, 2013

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Somebody said that on Facebook once, I said "hey there isnt a 28th amendment" and she said "yeah but there should be" :/

I said that once and their answer was "yes there is, it just hasn't passed yet"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BJA posted:

I said that once and their answer was "yes there is, it just hasn't passed yet"

Amendment XXXXVI. Black people must carry a shoe-shine kit at all times.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shagman posted:

Edit - I almost forgot: Thomas Sowell name-dropped him in a column on WND entitled Black Mobs And The Coming Race War. He agreed that blacks ruin things.

:stare: Wow. That Sowell artice:

quote:

Kersey even takes a swing at Rush Limbaugh (and at yours truly) for saying that liberal policies destroyed these cities. He says that San Francisco and other cities with liberal policies, but without black demographic and political takeovers, have not been ruined. His books are poorly written, but raise tough questions.

It would be easy to simply dismiss Kersey as a racist. But denouncing him or ignoring him is not refuting him. Refuting requires thought, which has largely been replaced by fashionable buzz words and catch phrases, when it comes to discussions of race.

Thought is long overdue. So is honesty.

He actually has worse things to say about people who dismiss the anti-black ravings of an open white supremacist than he does about the who thinks every problem in America boils down to the intrinsic savagery of black people. People who ignore racists are unthinking and dishonest apparently, but the only thing he can bring himself to criticize about Kersey's book is the writing style.

Just, holy poo poo.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Shagman posted:

Paul Kersey (the author of Stuff Black People Don't Like) is at the absolute most radical extreme of the White Nationalist movement. In fact I can't think of a single public figure of the movement more radical than him, mostly because I don't know anyone else stupid enough to publicly call for the extermination of all black people on their Twitter account (@sbpdl):

What I can tell about paul is that he's relatively young for most people in the movement (27), got fired from his job because he can't keep his loving mouth shut, hides his english accent and background from most people, and supposedly has a wife and kid (which I call bullshit on because no sane woman would want to be in a relationship with this condescending douche, let alone have his children)

interview on The Political Cesspool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFcctK7Albw

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 22, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Race Realists posted:

What I can tell about paul is that he's relatively young for most people in the movement (27), got fired from his job because he can't keep his loving mouth shut, hides his english accent and background from most people, and supposedly has a wife and kid (which I call bullshit on because no sane woman would want to be in a relationship with this condescending douche, let alone have his children)

interview on The Political Cesspool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFcctK7Albw

The english accent video has 3 comments, the first one?

quote:

Spunkmeyer2012
2 years ago

lol, I bet those were the condoms black people used to rape America to death.

:stare:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

That would be a great show, you could call it "Jonah Goldberg Can't Defend His Own Ideas." Just film him squirming in a hundred TV interviews.

I actually think it's hilarious how he's phrased this in a way that admits that, you know, he's okay with not making homophobic jokes since so many people get mad about it, but if they didn't then he totally would.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shagman posted:

In addition to his blog which is often cited in White Nationalist blogs & forums, Paul Kersey regularly contributes to VDARE - a "real" publication - which puts him on a level above the regular White Nationalist blogger & forum poster in terms of representing the WN movement.

Thomas Sowell is black himself.

I guess my point is if you are essentially anonymous with a pseudonym and never show your face in public, are you really a public figure? Unless "Paul Kersey" just happens to be his real name which would be quite the coincidence.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Chantilly Say posted:

I actually think it's hilarious how he's phrased this in a way that admits that, you know, he's okay with not making homophobic jokes since so many people get mad about it, but if they didn't then he totally would.

That's pretty much the kernel of being anti-PC: seeing any criticism as illegitimate allows them to maintain horrible beliefs that they never have to question. Therefore they'll never see themselves as actually bigoted, merely stifled and persecuted victims of a liberal culture. It's very difficult to "debate" that special strand of ideology that doesn't even recognize valid opposition.

Also, Goldberg should look into the whole "manscaping (and moisturizing!)" thing.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 23, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Von Sloneker posted:

That's pretty much the kernel of being anti-PC: seeing any criticism as illegitimate allows them to maintain horrible beliefs that they never have to question. Therefore they'll never see themselves as actually bigoted, merely stifled and persecuted victims of a liberal culture. It's very difficult to "debate" that special strand of ideology that doesn't even recognize valid opposition.

It's bizarre because it's such a one-way street with them. I realize they are the ones that insist that "THE LEFT" are the only ones pulling this (Tolerate my intolerance), but they go so "gently caress you got mine" on these sort of topics it's ridiculous.

Any sane person would have shrugged off groups boycotting Chick-fil-a due to the CEO's comments/company's policies, because well, that's your right as an american to do so.

They somehow turned it into some war for the soul of the country and turned it into a disgusting excuse to show intolerance against anyone that dared disagree with their view point of the world.

It's very similar to this issue. God forbid we actually have any sort of constructive conversation about gay rights, racism and any number of topics this "redneck" brought up when he opened his mouth. No, they turned it into an assault on "American Values".

It's absolutely ridiculous that the CEO of Cracker Barrell had to change his stance on the topic at hand because of these people threatening a boycott. You literally cannot have it both ways anymore. Either it's okay to boycott something because you disagree with their policy, and you respect their opinion, or you think it's all bullshit.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Yep. Or, to put it more succinctly, as billmon occasionally does amid his incessant twitter torrents:

Oh, I'm getting my forums confused. Even though the billmon quip applies to the Goldberg thing, this Mark Steyn piece is making the rounds. Enjoy.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/366943/re-education-camp-mark-steyn

quote:

Having leaned on A&E to suspend their biggest star, GLAAD has now moved on to Stage Two:

“We believe the next step is to use this as an opportunity for Phil to sit down with gay families in Louisiana and learn about their lives and the values they share,” the spokesman said.

Actually, “the next step” is for you thugs to push off and stop targeting, threatening and making demands of those who happen to disagree with you. Personally, I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for the GLAAD executive board to sit down with half-a-dozen firebreathing imams and learn about their values, but, unlike the Commissars of the Bureau of Conformity Enforcement, I accord even condescending little ticks like the one above the freedom to arrange his own social calendar. Unfortunately, GLAAD has had some success with this strategy, prevailing upon, for example, the Hollywood director Brett Ratner to submit to GLAAD re-education camp until he had eaten sufficient gay crow to be formally rehabilitated with a GLAAD “Ally” award.

It is a matter of some regret to me that my own editor at this publication does not regard this sort of thing as creepy and repellent rather than part of the vibrant tapestry of what he calls an “awakening to a greater civility”. I’m not inclined to euphemize intimidation and bullying as a lively exchange of ideas – “the use of speech to criticize other speech”, as Mr Steorts absurdly dignifies it. So do excuse me if I skip to the men’s room during his patronizing disquisition on the distinction between “state coercion” and “cultural coercion”. I’m well aware of that, thank you. In the early days of my free-speech battles in Canada, my friend Ezra Levant used a particular word to me: “de-normalize”. Our enemies didn’t particularly care whether they won in court. Whatever the verdict, they’d succeed in “de-normalizing” us — that’s to say, putting us beyond the pale of polite society and mainstream culture. “De-normalizing” is the business GLAAD and the other enforcers are in. You’ll recall Paula Deen’s accuser eventually lost in court — but the verdict came too late for Ms Deen’s book deal, and TV show, and endorsement contracts.

Up north, Ezra and I decided that, if they were going to “de-normalize” us, we’d “de-normalize” them. So we pushed back, and got the entire racket discredited and, eventually, the law repealed. It’s rough stuff, and exhausting, but the alternative is to let the control-freaks shrivel the bounds of public discourse remorselessly so that soon enough you lack even the words to mount an opposing argument. As this commenter to Mr Steorts noted, the point about unearthing two “derogatory” “puerile” yet weirdly prescient gags is that, pace Marx, these days comedy repeats as tragedy.

I am sorry my editor at NR does not grasp the stakes. Indeed, he seems inclined to “normalize” what GLAAD is doing. But, if he truly finds my “derogatory language” offensive, I’d rather he just indefinitely suspend me than twist himself into a soggy pretzel of ambivalent inertia trying to avoid the central point — that a society where lives are ruined over an aside because some identity-group don decides it must be so is ugly and profoundly illiberal. As to his kind but belated and conditional pledge to join me on the barricades, I had enough of that level of passionate support up in Canada to know that, when the call to arms comes, there will always be some “derogatory” or “puerile” expression that it will be more important to tut over. So thanks for the offer, but I don’t think you’d be much use, would you?

edit: apparently his "my editor does not grasp the stakes" line refers to this guy's post:
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/366912/steyn-speech-jason-lee-steorts

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 23, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's bizarre because it's such a one-way street with them.

It's not really that bizarre. A small but vocal minority of people think they're the only legitimate citizens in America and everyone else must either bend to their will, be imprisoned, or leave, and there's a political-infotainment-cult religious propaganda industry built around riling these people up for profit.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I happened across Chris Wallace's Sunday FOX show earlier today and all the panelists seemed to agree that the Duck Dynasty guy is a stupid bigot and deserved suspension, even Krauthhammer (although I missed George Will's take on it). Was very surprising.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Possible Duck-related fallout spotted:

Just back from a last minute panic shop at Fred Meyer, and saw all the Duck Dynasty branded crap was all moved to a back corner and labeled 90% off.

Now I can finally own a Chia pet........

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pixelboy posted:

Just back from a last minute panic shop at Fred Meyer, and saw all the Duck Dynasty branded crap was all moved to a back corner and labeled 90% off.

Now I can finally own a Chia pet........

The same thing happened at Kohl's when I was Christmas shopping a couple days ago, it was tucked in the corner of the men's section at 55% off.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

The same thing happened at Kohl's when I was Christmas shopping a couple days ago, it was tucked in the corner of the men's section at 55% off.

There is an insurance agency in my town that runs a series of pop culture related billboards, with their agencies in various costumes/photoshops/etc. one went up a few weeks ago with one of their agents in a huge beard and camo saying "Insure your Dynasty Jack". And between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, they had all been painted - physically hand-painted - with white paint to make a Santa beard, red paint to make a Santa suit, and the phrase painted over to just say "Merry Christmas".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It's pretty amazing how literally nobody wants anything to do with Duck Dynasty now. People on the left won't support it because the star is a bigot and people on the right won't either because A&E suspended the star for being a bigot. If the cast of the show has any future in TV it sure as hell isn't gonna be on A&E.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Winco in downtown Boise has a huge endcap of Duckmaster-brand wine in the center of the store. Gaudiest bottle I ever seen.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

beatlegs posted:

I happened across Chris Wallace's Sunday FOX show earlier today and all the panelists seemed to agree that the Duck Dynasty guy is a stupid bigot and deserved suspension, even Krauthhammer (although I missed George Will's take on it). Was very surprising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0mOdjMZ0g

SANITY...IN MY FOX NEWS?

IT'S MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK.

comes along bort posted:

It's not really that bizarre. A small but vocal minority of people think they're the only legitimate citizens in America and everyone else must either bend to their will, be imprisoned, or leave, and there's a political-infotainment-cult religious propaganda industry built around riling these people up for profit.

I think you're correct. It's going to be there undoing in the end though. Pigeon-holing yourself with white racist homophobes who were alive to see the Civil Rights act enacted is going to leave yourself exactly nowhere in a few years.

You can see in the clip that even Krauthammer is beginning to see that the "Southern Strategy" is going to leave the GOP very irrelevant in a few years. There's quite a few business-minded/wall street conservatives who are thinking the same way, and I imagine quite a few that have left the party because of it (I've come across two writers who've identified as such).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pixelboy posted:

This is apparently because A&E owns the Duck Dynasty trademark while Phil owns the Duck Commander trademark, so there's a protest against buying Duck Dynasty branded items to show A&E that they made a mistake by firing not at all firing that guy.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FuzzySkinner posted:

You can see in the clip that even Krauthammer is beginning to see that the "Southern Strategy" is going to leave the GOP very irrelevant in a few years. There's quite a few business-minded/wall street conservatives who are thinking the same way, and I imagine quite a few that have left the party because of it (I've come across two writers who've identified as such).

People keep saying "even Krauthammer" here, but the thing about him is that he's always been a pragmatist. Everyone on that panel knows the anti-gay stuff is a losing issue, and they desperately want people to stop talking about it so that we can get back to talking about loving over the social safety net. They're loving evil, but they're also not stupid. They know Phil went on to talk about how nice the blacks had it before the civil rights act, and they know that any support for anything Phil said is going to see them branded as a huge racist.

Also, Fox is definitely right wing, but the culture war poo poo is only something they use to stoke up their base every once in a while. I'd be surprised if anyone in control of messaging at the network actually believed any of it. They're all probably a lot closer ideologically to someone like Dick Cheney. They kind of don't care or want gays to get married... while also wanting to go to war at the drop of a hat and gently caress over poor people.

This Duck Dynasty poo poo is a loving PR bloodbath right now, it's not surprising people would want to avoid getting caught in the crossfire.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Race Realists posted:

(which I call bullshit on because no sane woman would want to be in a relationship with this condescending douche, let alone have his children)

Dorothy Thompson posted:

Mrs. E would go Nazi as sure as you are born. That statement surprises you? Mrs. E seems so sweet, so clinging, so cowed. She is. She is a masochist. She is married to a man who never ceases to humiliate her, to lord it over her, to treat her with less consideration than he does his dogs. He is a prominent scientist, and Mrs. E, who married him very young, has persuaded herself that he is a genius, and that there is something of superior womanliness in her utter lack of pride, in her doglike devotion. She speaks disapprovingly of other “masculine” or insufficiently devoted wives. Her husband, however, is bored to death with her. He neglects her completely and she is looking for someone else before whom to pour her ecstatic self-abasement. She will titillate with pleased excitement to the first popular hero who proclaims the basic subordination of women.

quote:

It’s fun—a macabre sort of fun—this parlor game of “Who Goes Nazi?” And it simplifies things—asking the question in regard to specific personalities.

Kind, good, happy, gentlemanly, secure people never go Nazi. They may be the gentle philosopher whose name is in the Blue Book, or Bill from City College to whom democracy gave a chance to design airplanes—you’ll never make Nazis out of them. But the frustrated and humiliated intellectual, the rich and scared speculator, the spoiled son, the labor tyrant, the fellow who has achieved success by smelling out the wind of success—they would all go Nazi in a crisis.

Believe me, nice people don’t go Nazi. Their race, color, creed, or social condition is not the criterion. It is something in them.

Those who haven’t anything in them to tell them what they like and what they don’t-whether it is breeding, or happiness, or wisdom, or a code, however old-fashioned or however modern, go Nazi. It’s an amusing game. Try it at the next big party you go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ErIog posted:

This Duck Dynasty poo poo is a loving PR bloodbath right now, it's not surprising people would want to avoid getting caught in the crossfire.

It briefly appeared that momentum was building for a full-on backlash against the backlash what with Palin, Limbaugh and the more idiotic FOX News hosts holding him up as a martyr. But that seems to be disintegrating now. Glad to see it.