Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheStig posted:

Not so much.

"How does the steering system of the E39 M5 differ from that of other E39 5 Series models?
Like all V8-powered E39 5 Series models, the E39 M5 is equipped with a recirculating-ball steering system."
http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18

"Like all V8-powered E39 models, the E39 M5 was fitted with a recirculating ball steering system"
http://m5e39.net/about

"the E39 M5 was equipped with a recirculating-ball steering system"
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/m5-e39-ar1378.html

"the E39 M5 was equipped with a recirculating ball steering system. Overall steering ratio was reduced to 14.7 from 17.9"
http://bmwmcars.net/specs/bmw-e39-m5/

Yes, now read what he Ziploc asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Some say, he's incapable of reading a post on a forum...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got my E39 540i back from the shop last week. They replaced the timing chain, guides, tensioners, oil pump, oil pan gasket, oil, both valve cover gaskets, and much much more for the low, low price of $3,600.

*cough* *cough*

Yeah. That stung a bit. There was a pretty good amount of plastic and metal debris in the oil pan though, and that wasn't a job I was at all comfortable performing, so I guess it's worth it.

At least they loaned me a Passat for the week and a half. Granted it was an '02 with 200k on the clock, but still, I used the hell out of it. Put nearly 1,000 miles on their loaner while they fixed my broken car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The E39 recirculating ball is not that god awful as TheStig makes it out to be.

Trust me, drive a 530i then drive a 540i. Its way more fun, even if the steering is a little vague (its not). These 5'ers are built to run down the road, carve up a twisty here and there, and be a muscle car. That's a pretty big task for any car maker, and the 540i (in my opinion) can satisfy quite a few thirsts.

But its your money, drive both and see what you like.

Edit: vvv i should edit to that. Its not god awful, but your driving a "large" car in terms of German standards. I loved my car, and again, mine was all brand new components on the front end too. Its better than the E34, but its no 3 series.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 23, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If the E39 recirculating ball is anything like the recirculating ball in my old E34 535i, then it sucks balls. It was the biggest glaring flaw that kind of ruined an otherwise glorious car. I did all the recommended adjusting and tightening and everything and just no matter how much I tried to make it suck less, it continued to suck.

Maybe my opinion is completely tainted from also owning an NA Miata and a later-model E46, but that recirculating ball steering just had zero feel. The car still handled nicely but there was just no sensation. Kind of equivalent to loving with a condom on.

Edit: In the grand scheme of the car market, it's not as bad as a lot of lovely cars out there (looking at you domestic land barges), but I just really didn't think it lived up to the BMW standard.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 23, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Why did the 5 series wagon die in the US? Its Real Good.

I assume its because of the SUVs.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
We got the gran turismo, surely that is what you wanted?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Euro F11 550D (gorgeous car)

If non-urban people want storage they also want the high seating position of an SUV/Crossover. Once you get used to sitting up high it's hard to go back apparently (plus you have a shits chance of seeing around everyone else's monster truck). :suicide:

I agree that E39 530's steering feels so much better than 540's. If anyone really wants to experience modern no-feel (electric) steering they can come to Norcal and test drive my 2013 F10. Apparently they fixed it in 2014. It's violently different compared to the E90 I just got. I swear the E90's steering is at least a good 50% stiffer than my 2002 E46 (and even more than my 2001 E46 with the infamous "light" steering.)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 23, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just don't "get" sitting up high. I think it's terrible. I've driven trucks and SUVs with high seating positions and I just hate it, not to mention how awful a high center of gravity feels. I like the sensation of getting into the driver's seat, not onto the driver's seat. I feel so much less in control when I'm sitting up high.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

I just don't "get" sitting up high. I think it's terrible. I've driven trucks and SUVs with high seating positions and I just hate it, not to mention how awful a high center of gravity feels. I like the sensation of getting into the driver's seat, not onto the driver's seat. I feel so much less in control when I'm sitting up high.

That depends on what you are doing/driving for. I have pretty well polar opposites: an old Porsche and an old Land Rover. I'm either scraping my rear end on the ground or have the highest seating position you can imagine. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, many related to who else is around you and where you are driving. But from a pure driving standpoint a high seating position (not just in relation to the ground, but in relation to the vehicle) is pretty drat awesome for maneuvering off road and/or around obstacles. Is this something most people will need on a regular basis if ever? Absolutely not. I'd rather be sitting down low. Too bad everyone's SUV lights are in my drat eyes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Why did the 5 series wagon die in the US? Its Real Good.

I assume its because of the SUVs.

They will pry my E61 from my cold dead hands. I know they get a little disparaged in this thread and there are longevity concerns with the N54 but it is pretty fantastic.

Seeing how the 5 series GT is selling here I wonder why they bothered with doing a 3 GT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're taking a page out of the americans book.

If at first you don't succeed, do the same thing over and over and over until you do, or somebody else does, then just copy them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Trust me, drive a 530i then drive a 540i. Its way more fun, even if the steering is a little vague (its not).

I'd take the six cylinder every time - it really is that much better. Then again if you're going to go for a 530 you may as well look for a 330 instead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why stop there? just get a civic.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Why stop there? just get a civic.

The goal is better to drive, not worse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And that's what a V8 is for.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
A few years ago I put an LSD in my E30, 2.79 ratio maybe? At one point all of the bolts on one of the axles backed off and the axle popped off while on the highway. I initially thought it was the clutch, I kept on the gas and got off the next exit that was coming up and eventually lost all ability to move. After the tow truck brought me home I realized what had happened and now I just retighten the bolts every few months.

What are the chances that I burned up and ruined the LSD when I stomped on the gas to make it to the exit I got off at? I was reading up on these diffs and it seems that they are the clutch-pack variety which leads me to believe this thing is toast. I guess worst case it defaults to a standard open diff?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I had a local shop, Lab22, make some changes to aid in the Prius-level of noise that the current (to be past) generation M3s make from the factory, haha. I was able to snag this footage of the muffler box as it was modified and installed on my E92 yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738NCUzhIPM

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SuperDucky posted:

:getin:
I just wish it could tow the Flying Tiger 10meter.

Can you imagine that colors matching death machine rolling down 85 behind you? :yarr:

Love tourings and that is a good looking touring. No reason you couldn't stage a photo of it towing the boat, would be worth posting just to see the reaction.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

The goal is better to drive, not worse.

Clearly you have yet to drive the V8 powered models. My E60 was definitely sharper in terms of handling, but felt cheap.

But I'm not a race car driver, just some schlep who liked how the E39 drove. V:v:V

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Well, I pulled the lower oil pan off of my M42. Looks like it was a good thing that I did because..

The other two were still relatively tight, so I was OK, but still makes me nervous. Glad I noticed it now.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
My dad's friend wants to sell me his 2007 335i sedan automatic (automatic is normally a dealbreaker, but I wouldn't mind having my wife able to drive my car for once) with 60k miles on it with sport package, cold weather, premium whatever, etc. for $15k instead of trading it in for whatever the dealer will give him. Assuming he has had all dealer recommended maintenance (he says he has some extended warrenty for the turbos?), what do you guys think of that deal? I don't really need the car, but my e36 M3 sedan was totaled a month ago and I rushed into a 1998 V70R Volvo wagon as a cheap-ish ($3.5k) replacement that could help haul my 1 year old for years to come. I bought back the M3 for $900 and still have $9k left over from insurance. So should I spend that money on the 335i and sell the Volvo even though I will lose some money on the Volvo?

I have found a bunch of little to moderate stuff wrong with the Volvo, so I am not sure I want to keep it long term, but I also probably spent too much on it and selling it now won't correct that. So I don't really have any reason to rush into the 335i unless it is a particularly good deal and/or car. I haven't really researched it much, but a nice newer reliable vehicle would probably be a good thing. Money isn't too much of an issue, I just like making good decisions with it when possible. The other option is to just keep the Volvo, continue to fix it up and fix up the M3 someday.

edit: I see the previous posts about that E90 coupe which make it sound like there aren't too many known big issues besides the HPFP, so that's good at least.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
get a PPI.......it's worth the $150-$175 (although the one I had done didn't mention the awful condition of the paint and dings).

Also keep in mind everything on these new cars can be 3x-5x times as expensive as on an E46. (Pelican Parts)

E46 Water Pump: $56
E46 Thermostat: $62

E90 Water Pump: $462 :catstare:
E90 Thermostat: $78

also way more labor from even an Indy to get into location (due to turbo and all sorts of extra poo poo in the way)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Oooh, can E90s not run Stewart water pumps?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E90s use electric pumps.

Guinness posted:

I literally can't drive cars with upright seating positions. Extended drives kill my knees. Even my new mk4 daily is starting to bother me, I'm already looking around for another e36 to drive instead. Something like an RX7/BRZ is the perfect driving position for me but they aren't really good at carrying passengers.

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, now read what he Ziploc asked.

Oh indeed, foot meet mouth. A dick would now saw the F10, a "V8 M5", has rack and pinion.

And yes, it sucks. Part of why I tossed it. 530i I drove after was pretty glorious.

Crustashio posted:

E90s use electric pumps.

Should also be noted they like to grenade every 50k.

TheStig fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 23, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Clearly you have yet to drive the V8 powered models.

Only the E39. I was even thinking about buying one before I drove it (and it wasn't unique to that particular 10 year old car either - that was my first thought so I drove a few more)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

Only the E39. I was even thinking about buying one before I drove it (and it wasn't unique to that particular 10 year old car either - that was my first thought so I drove a few more)

Drive an E60 550i then a 540i. Report back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The only E60 I've driven had a diesel engine (only the small one too not the big exciting version).

I'd love to have a go in a 550 but there really isn't any point as they're still so far out of budget here that its irrelevant.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Wheelchat. Never bought wheels before and would like to pick up a pair for my 2006 E46 325ci, currently on 17s, when I replace my tires in the next few weeks. I was hoping to find some Style 135s for $500 but that appears to be a unicorn. I did find these, however:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130732571989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What are the odds that they will fail gloriously, sending me careening into an oncoming 18-wheeler?

Any other, similar styles I should consider that aren't too far off the mark on budget?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
New GC setup arrived! I think I made the right choice with the blue strut housing. I now have a pile of car parts (CAI, wheel lining, brake pads) which I will be hauling up to my parents tomorrow where they will lay waiting to be installed. I just wish it was spring :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Noggin Monkey posted:

Wheelchat. Never bought wheels before and would like to pick up a pair for my 2006 E46 325ci, currently on 17s, when I replace my tires in the next few weeks. I was hoping to find some Style 135s for $500 but that appears to be a unicorn. I did find these, however:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130732571989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What are the odds that they will fail gloriously, sending me careening into an oncoming 18-wheeler?

Any other, similar styles I should consider that aren't too far off the mark on budget?

They'll be fine - won't look the best but if it makes you happy then it's all good.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Do any of you guys have suggestions on angel eye bulb replacement? I noticed the other day my new M3's bulbs are still incandescent color and I'd like some that more closely match the color of the headlights. I know some people go nuts and put in super HIDs or whatever but I'm looking for something that's just a drop-in replacement.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What kind of bulbs are they? There are some h8 led replacements. There are probably some for other bulbs as well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I think the size is H8, I just want to make sure I can get something that isn't going to incinerate the harnesses or look ridiculous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some decent led options are lux v4 or dtec v7. I'm using 4800k halogens.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Any e30 seat recommendations? I'm getting frustrated trying to repair the sport seats I have. I'm at the point where I need to start drilling new mounting holes for the sliders to keep it from rocking.

The Corbeau sports look nice, but I am not seeing good reviews. I am looking for something stock looking.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Recaro speed. The father of that seat actually came in the e30 M3 evo. You won't be able to get the awesome fabric pattern they had, but they are really good seats.

But the cheaper option will always be just get another set of e30 seats. Anything aftermarket is going to require mounts + sliders + seats, you could get mint condition OEM seats for half the price of aftermarket. Unless you buy junk.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
One thing I never knew until now... Press down on the seat back recline lever to lower your seat! 7 years and 3 e30s and I never knew! No wonder I was hitting my head with the nicer seat I just put in.

I have 2 drivers side and 1 passenger sport seat to work with, so I'm not going to buy another one. I figure I'll focus on an aftermarket seat if I get close to $100 trying to get my nicer stock seat working. It has fresh shocks and good upholstery.

Those recaros are really badass and clearly the best choice, but this is a daily driver and recaros are tough on the wallet.

I don't know of any local place with seats to check out, are those recaro type seats suitable for a DD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Yeah I think the size is H8, I just want to make sure I can get something that isn't going to incinerate the harnesses or look ridiculous.

I have the non-adjustable LED ones from here http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_LED_angel_eyes.html . There was an old design that they had that were kind of janky, and one of them broke. I called them up however and they no questions asked sent me the new version of them which are much better, and didn't even bother me with shipping the old ones back. They're quite bright and white. Just be prepared for the replacement procedure, as it can be quite tough getting them in/out as there isn't a lot of room in the headlight enclosure.

If however you just want them to be the incandescent look, all you need to do is goto an auto store and buy straight H8 bulbs as far as I know, nothing special about them.