Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Uhhh...OK. But, no. The US got this overweight pig in turbo trim as well. It still isn't all that impressive nor as fast as it looked from the outside (any holy poo poo that plastic interior and soup-stirring-reminiscent 5-speed).

I owned one for about 5 minutes some some back in the early 90s when I was flipping auction cars.

They were pretty fast for their time (and the later ones were actually on par with a C5 in the 0-60, good skidpad numbers too.), but it certainly doesn't "feel" it if you know what I mean. I got to drive one in anger; it basically feels like a giant, worse handling Eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

animeliker posted:

it basically feels like a giant, worse handling Eclipse.

Regardless of the numbers, that's what I'm saying. It's a pig (weight and suspension, among other things) and basically no fun to drive......unless you are a light to light idiot in which case it's the wrong hp/weight ratio to spend money on.

Sorry, I know we have people on here with them and that must like them. But I just don't think it's a good car, even when put into the context of it's release date. It looked GREAT and underwhelmed at every single thing other than that. In fact, that's probably part of why I am so disappointed by it.....it looks so much like a better car than it is.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 23, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I first learned of the 3000GT in Gran Turismo. It was a much better video game car. Also I don't know who designs the interiors but they are amazingly cramped given how huge the exterior is. My tiny-rear end Integra is more accommodating. It's even slower than a 3000GT but you can't have everything :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Regardless of the numbers, that's what I'm saying. It's a pig (weight and suspension, among other things) and basically no fun to drive......unless you are a light to light idiot in which case it's the wrong hp/weight ratio to spend money on.

Sorry, I know we have people on here with them and that must like them. But I just don't think it's a good car, even when put into the context of it's release date. It looked GREAT and underwhelmed at every single thing other than that. In fact, that's probably part of why I am so disappointed by it.....it looks so much like a better car than it is.

I also think the very early ones look good, the ones with the fixed headlights look considerably worse.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I first learned of the 3000GT in Gran Turismo. It was a much better video game car. Also I don't know who designs the interiors but they are amazingly cramped given how huge the exterior is. My tiny-rear end Integra is more accommodating. It's even slower than a 3000GT but you can't have everything :v:

In Gran Turismo I think the 3000GT could be tuned to have 940hp. It's been a long time but I used to use it for endurance races.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fucknag posted:

I was gonna say the engine sucked too, but apparently it has the same 2.0 Duratec that was top-of-the-line in the Euro 2nd gen (though with ~10 less HP). Apparently it was a good bit lighter too, all models around 2,600 lb vs. 2,700-3,500 for the Euro variants. :psyduck:

I'd still never take one over a 3rd or Zetec 1st gen, but there you are.

But...isn't it basically a Mazda MZR?
I don't think the Focus looks bad at all, maybe a bit boring but OK.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

tobu posted:

In Gran Turismo I think the 3000GT could be tuned to have 940hp. It's been a long time but I used to use it for endurance races.

Yeah this was THE game-breaking car in the original Gran Turismo...

...Unless you had a Gameshark :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tobu posted:

I did this exact same thing! I don't know if polyphony had a huge hard-on for that car or if they just looked at the on-paper numbers and decided it MUST be faster than a GTR or supra by scientific deduction.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah this was THE game-breaking car in the original Gran Turismo...

...Unless you had a Gameshark :v:

My friend and I spent hours and hours on that game modifying different cars to find the one that was the fastest in a straight line, it was the 3000GT, said friend still has a mancrush on that car because of it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Even in the game the excess weight made it a pig to throw around turns compared to the Z, Supra (which I also think you could blow to the moon) and RX-7. You could tweak the diffs and I think even futz with the rear steer but that couldn't work miracles.

Also unless I'm thinking of the wrong generation of GT, the fastest car was that ridiculous twin-engined Suzuki hillclimber.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The best was that pikes peak car in GT2 that you could raise the front of and get to like 1000mph.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Two of my favorite cars in GT 4 were the Buick Special and the Pajero. You could make the Special handle like a rocket-propelled battering ram on rails. The Pajero was the most ridiculous box-on-stilts ever, because it cornered like a go kart with a crazy lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdC11k5VFeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ItXmyNXXc
...in which a Buck Special wins by pushing the other cars off the track then setting record times.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 23, 2013

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Even in the game the excess weight made it a pig to throw around turns compared to the Z, Supra (which I also think you could blow to the moon) and RX-7. You could tweak the diffs and I think even futz with the rear steer but that couldn't work miracles.

Also unless I'm thinking of the wrong generation of GT, the fastest car was that ridiculous twin-engined Suzuki hillclimber.

In GT2 there was always either a white or red Mark 3 Supra available for less than the 10k starting credits, and every time I started a new file I bought it and ground the Sunday Cup until I could afford whatever the top turbo was. After that just keep adding power and nothing else. I have so many fond memories of struggling to keep ahead of wheezy little Kei cars doing a near constant burnout until I crashed into a wall sideways.

e: I was going to say this is scarily similar but I think this was how every 13-year old played Gran Turismo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZP4htZhq0

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 23, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man that is almost exactly how I drove that track down to looking backwards on the straightaway

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GT2 was probably my favorite of the series, all things considered. I played the hell out of GT4 but I still remember seeing the GT2 car list for the first time. :allears:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

e: I was going to say this is scarily similar but I think this was how every 13-year old played Gran Turismo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZP4htZhq0

Man I remember being absolutely blown away by those graphics.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

In GT2 there was always either a white or red Mark 3 Supra available for less than the 10k starting credits, and every time I started a new file I bought it and ground the Sunday Cup until I could afford whatever the top turbo was. After that just keep adding power and nothing else. I have so many fond memories of struggling to keep ahead of wheezy little Kei cars doing a near constant burnout until I crashed into a wall sideways.

TVR Cerbera 12 supremacy.

Shame that the physics engine would give it awful axle tramp and limit the top speed to about 5 km/h if you did anything dumb like use full throttle anywhere ever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delivery McGee posted:

My driver's ed teacher told a story of a past student, back in the days before automatic transmissions had safeties built in, who had a stuck throttle or something that required shifting into neutral while at highway speed. The student missed N and went all the way to P. But hey, it stopped the car!

I did this once as a teenager in my mom's car. A bumble bee flew into the open window directly into my face at about 35 MPH. My immediate panicking response was to pull over, but to first put the car in park. It was the coolest sound I've ever heard a car make. It was also a Honda so it was aight

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

So this '00 Crown Vic shows up today.

Dudebro owner says he wants to surprise his wife with new RIMZ for Christmas, so he had these 22s thrown on it.

He's in the shop today because the car leans to either side when the steering wheel is turned.

Offset is all, all wrong. On the front, the inside of the wheels are rubbing with the control arms on one side, and tire is rubbing the frame on the other. On the rear, the wheel is about an 1/8th of an inch from rubbing.

Merry Christmas! :ohdearsass: :whatup:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 23, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wish I could get a crown Victoria in my country. They just seem so awesomely...punty.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Found in sunny San Diego. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Astonishing Wang posted:

Found in sunny San Diego. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM?

Hey is that the pickup from that A-Ha video?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Baller Witness Bro posted:

There's also a Cobalt SS without anything that makes it go faster IIRC. It's just the normal car with the SS trim on it.

Holy poo poo, the mystery is solved. My friend bought one of those a few years back (he wanted to buy a regular Cobalt) and kept getting pulled over for loud muffler tickets ALL the time. We couldn't figure out why a stock 4 cyl. sedan would come hooked up with a cherry bomb straight from the factory.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
From my local cars and coffee

Yes that a $200k Audi R8 GT one of 90 in the USA with a autozone front plate and big rear end "Ferrari Killer" vinyl on the back glass. Terrible because of the owner, money can't buy class.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Uhhh...OK. But, no. The US got this overweight pig in turbo trim as well. It still isn't all that impressive nor as fast as it looked from the outside (any holy poo poo that plastic interior and soup-stirring-reminiscent 5-speed).

I owned one for about 5 minutes some some back in the early 90s when I was flipping auction cars.

If yours was turbo and a 5 speed, it was a pre '94 model since 94+(2nd generation) received the 6 speed and a huge power increase from 296hp to 320, as well as a host of other changes. Believe it or not, the later model 3000GTs, while heavy, we're actually pretty darn quick for their heft at 3,800lbs. Driving a 1st gen and making blanket statements of how terrible the car is is like driving a C4 corvette and saying the C5 is just as lovely.

Edit: it was also desiged as a touring car. It was supposed to take you quickly where you wanted to go while looking good and feeling luxurious. Hence the digital climate control, active aero, leather, power seats, and other stuff that made it high tech and heavy. If you wanted a lighter nimbler car, they had the FTO and Eclipse to choose from.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

If yours was turbo and a 5 speed, it was a pre '94 model since 94+(2nd generation) received the 6 speed and a huge power increase from 296hp to 320, as well as a host of other changes. Believe it or not, the later model 3000GTs, while heavy, we're actually pretty darn quick for their heft at 3,800lbs. Driving a 1st gen and making blanket statements of how terrible the car is is like driving a C4 corvette and saying the C5 is just as lovely.

Edit: it was also desiged as a touring car. It was supposed to take you quickly where you wanted to go while looking good and feeling luxurious. Hence the digital climate control, active aero, leather, power seats, and other stuff that made it high tech and heavy. If you wanted a lighter nimbler car, they had the FTO and Eclipse to choose from.

The C4 Corvette isn't piece of poo poo though, performance wise at least. Sure it isn't well built, or reliable, and it has the 3rd worst interior of all time but it destroyed virtually everything in it's path in both autocross and showroom stock racing, and that includes C5s other than the Z06. It's difficult for me to say that too, nobody hates GM and its fanboys as much as I do. You also haven't explained what the point of the GTO was. It was trounced by the Lancer Evolution in the performance aspect, it wasn't overly luxurious, and it was unbelievably heavy. It replaced the Starion which was a great RWD based platform into an oversized Eclipse. Plus, the 1G models are great looking, those stupid fixed 1990s blob syndrome headlights the redesign had ruined the lines of the car.

EDIT: Digital climate control was not a luxury feature. All Japanese sports cars and GTs from that period had it, and even compact coupes like the Silvia and 180sx, Celica, and Prelude featured it as well. Active aero was impressive....in 1985 when the Skyline did it. Power seats? Lots of cars had these.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 25, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

animeliker posted:

The C4 Corvette isn't piece of poo poo though, performance wise at least. Sure it isn't well built, or reliable, and it has the 3rd worst interior of all time but it destroyed virtually everything in it's path in both autocross and showroom stock racing, and that includes C5s other than the Z06. It's difficult for me to say that too, nobody hates GM and its fanboys as much as I do. You also haven't explained what the point of the GTO was.
It was the beginning of Mitsubishi's dark times, okay?
c.f. the "rational, considered" decision to replace the 2G Eclipse with the 2000-2011 3/4G Eclipse. :iiam:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mitsubishi was one of the largest Japanese auto manufacturers at one point, they nearly absorbed Honda iirc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

animeliker posted:

Mitsubishi was one of the largest Japanese auto manufacturers at one point, they nearly absorbed Honda iirc.

Mitsu's strength mostly lies in its parent company which is enormous to a degree hard to understand in North America. The cars division has never been all that strong.

I suspect they've had some internal reorganizations that have removed their access to preferential treatment on the bank/fi side. Without cheap credit you can only do so much in development especially after the collapse of the bubble economy.

Honda might be suffering a bit of the same nowadays based on their pretty conservative R&D over the last decade. Their US arm has to have bled a lot.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the current gtr weighs less than that.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
They actually weigh the same. Curb weight on a 2014 GT-R is 3,800 lbs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The (DSM)Eclipse and the Evo weren't ever sold in the same markets, except for a few convertibles sold outside of NA because Mitsubishi didn't have a convertible anywhere else in their lineup. The FTO came much later too (1996?).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just saw this story about a one-off Lamborghini Sogna.

I'm going to call it terrible (at $3mil), but that could be debatable.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Huh. So that's where they got the design for the car from Top Gear 3000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I miss those old tread patterns that made real cars look like toy cars. Ditto with old chunky alloys.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

The (DSM)Eclipse and the Evo weren't ever sold in the same markets, except for a few convertibles sold outside of NA because Mitsubishi didn't have a convertible anywhere else in their lineup. The FTO came much later too (1996?).

Both 1g and 2g DSMs were exported from the US all over. Japan got eclipses, as well as Europe, Russia, Middle East, etc. They were almost always FWD though. That's why the eclipse in the Gran Turismo games is called the Eclipse GT, is only FWD, and had amber colored rear turn lenses.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BoostCreep posted:

Both 1g and 2g DSMs were exported from the US all over. Japan got eclipses, as well as Europe, Russia, Middle East, etc. They were almost always FWD though. That's why the eclipse in the Gran Turismo games is called the Eclipse GT, is only FWD, and had amber colored rear turn lenses.

They didn't sell in any significant numbers though

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mitsu's strength mostly lies in its parent company which is enormous to a degree hard to understand in North America. The cars division has never been all that strong.

I suspect they've had some internal reorganizations that have removed their access to preferential treatment on the bank/fi side. Without cheap credit you can only do so much in development especially after the collapse of the bubble economy.

Honda might be suffering a bit of the same nowadays based on their pretty conservative R&D over the last decade. Their US arm has to have bled a lot.

Oh, I know. The apparent Honda merger would have happened in the early 90s, and there were rumours at late as 1996 of it happening.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 25, 2013

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A picture terrible in every way:

I haven't been able to find the story behind it, but it's no great mystery going by the image itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Maybe you just haven't been reading all the specs on the C7. The new "Ditch Your Ride" system allows for incredibly fast and efficient parking at any location where the onboard computers detect a ditch.

Be warned, however, that if you attempt to use the system at an improper ditchless or on-road location you may damage the car.

The Corvette's price and performance make it a wonderful car for enabling schadenfreude.

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 26, 2013