Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I think the most fun part of FES (and Nocturne come to think of it) was making new personas and trying to fill up the compendium. Odin with Die for me? Yes please! Helel with Victory Cry? Fun until you realize that it renders all challenge moot, but still fun to try to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I don't see why it's weird that I don't want to use a character who talks and sounds almost exactly like another character that I don't like. If you don't like Jar Jar Binks, what are the odds that you would like another comic relief character also voiced by Ahmed Best who sounds like and has a similar personality to Jar Jar Binks?

Troy Baker sounds fine to me as Vincent, Joel, and what I've heard of Ocelot. It's really just that Kanji and Snow are similar characters, he voiced them similarly, and I happen to find the one of them I heard first incredibly annoying.

Doing a solo run of a game that is half dating sim is pretty funny though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

subhelios posted:

This point interest me greatly. I might have to give it another go after all (sometime after my 100+ Steam backlog is cleared anyway).
It's pretty neat. At a certain point, you unlock a door in Tartarus that leads to a series of doors that you can open in any order, if I remember correctly. You can fight harder versions every full moon boss. Plus, there are puzzle battles against a set of strong enemies where you are given a set of personas. Once you complete every challenge, you get to fight Margaret. There's also a secret battle Theodore on the female route.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

It's pretty neat. At a certain point, you unlock a door in Tartarus that leads to a series of doors that you can open in any order, if I remember correctly. You can fight harder versions every full moon boss. Plus, there are puzzle battles against a set of strong enemies where you are given a set of personas. Once you complete every challenge, you get to fight Margaret. There's also a secret battle Theodore on the female route.

I don't know who those people are, sorry.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

quote:

Kanji and Snow are similar characters.

What the hell is this poo poo.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man if FFXIII Troy Baker didn't work for you then don't ever play Tales of Vesperia in English. You can tell the VA director didn't care there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Man if FFXIII Troy Baker didn't work for you then don't ever play Tales of Vesperia in English. You can tell the VA director didn't care there.
And yet Troy Baker still makes the character.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

subhelios posted:

I don't know who those people are, sorry.
I'm sure. Either way, they're new bosses, so it should float your boat.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

Yeah, no kidding. That entire dub felt incredibly lazy despite being decently cast.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm pretty sure I used the Troy Baker voice for my SR3 character, too:

So yeah, he's pretty alright.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

DC Douglass was great, too.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm sure. Either way, they're new bosses, so it should float your boat.

Harder or easier than Elizabeth?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Margaret's a little easier, but only because you have the option to bring in a party. I'm not sure if that fight's harder going solo. Theodore's the same as Elizabeth. The full moon battles are harder than their original fights, but definitely not harder than the secret bosses. The puzzles fights can be pretty hard, but they're a different type of hard, since you need to figure out what exactly to do. I'm not sure if they're possible to beat solo, but feel free to give it a shot.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 23, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not even sure how you can even really try to solo Persona 3 because the game outright will not let you continue at times if you go alone. You just get yelled at and told to take a full party; you could just then sit there and wait until your party members all get killed off, sure, but what's the point? You're just sat there doing nothing for ages and hoping your MC doesn't wipe first.

The puzzle rooms are no exception, but you don't even get to choose party composition. You're just given a bunch of people dependant on the room.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm not even sure how you can even really try to solo Persona 3 because the game outright will not let you continue at times if you go alone. You just get yelled at and told to take a full party; you could just then sit there and wait until your party members all get killed off, sure, but what's the point? You're just sat there doing nothing for ages and hoping your MC doesn't wipe first.

The puzzle rooms are no exception, but you don't even get to choose party composition. You're just given a bunch of people dependant on the room.

I only bring in the party when I am literally forced to. Times like those I just ignore them and they have about a 50/50 of doing okay or getting killed.

I am not at all sure if I even want to do the puzzle rooms, are they required?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So I'm playing Persona 3 Portable and having a blast, so much of a blast I think I am hooked on the series, but there are a few things that have got me wondering about the game and I figure I might as well ask here. Forgive me if the OP said not to ask questions here, I've looked around in-game and in the thread. Should this be a rule I have broken I will draw whatever Persona a moderator asks as punishment and in shame.

So far it seems like this game takes place over the course of a year so I should plan things around the fact that at the end of the year the game is going to end due to whatever plot, right?

I have not touched Orpheus out of fear but aside from that is it possible to really gently caress things up by experimenting with fusions?

If I love this game will I love Persona 4: Golden because if so a purchase is about to be made

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rapdawg posted:

So far it seems like this game takes place over the course of a year so I should plan things around the fact that at the end of the year the game is going to end due to whatever plot, right?

Yes. Specifically, the game ends on January 31st.

Rapdawg posted:

I have not touched Orpheus out of fear but aside from that is it possible to really gently caress things up by experimenting with fusions?

You can't gently caress things up with fusions because you'll very quickly get access to the Persona Compendium, which holds every Persona you've ever made, which you can resummon for a fee. You should always fuse all the time without worrying too much about it. Just make sure you register your on-hand Personas in the compendium before you do so.

Rapdawg posted:

If I love this game will I love Persona 4: Golden because if so a purchase is about to be made

Yes. Buy P4G.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rapdawg posted:

So I'm playing Persona 3 Portable and having a blast, so much of a blast I think I am hooked on the series, but there are a few things that have got me wondering about the game and I figure I might as well ask here. Forgive me if the OP said not to ask questions here, I've looked around in-game and in the thread. Should this be a rule I have broken I will draw whatever Persona a moderator asks as punishment and in shame.

I played through Persona 4: Golden this year. It is one of my favorite games now.

You might wanna go ahead and finish P3 first, though, if only to not spoil yourself with the new features. I'm doing P3P now, and I think I'll end up preferring 4.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

Yeah, it's around the end of the year.
No, unless you intentionally try to gimp yourself with lovely Personas.
You'll probably really like Golden if P3P is something you enjoy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Once you create a persona, either from shuffle time or fusion, it is permanently registered in the compendium. So you can always bring it back if necessary. The only dilemma is deciding if you want to overwrite an existing persona in the compendium with a better version (say, you leveled it up or it learned some new skills). If you don't have access to the compendium yet, don't worry you will soon enough and everything you've done in the mean time will still have been registered.

In practice it is not a good idea to hang onto personas for too long, because you begin to get diminishing returns with level ups. It's better to fuse a new persona that starts at a higher level. Not to mention that you'll gain experience bonuses during fusion after leveling up Social Links.

E: Even setting aside whether you wind up liking the P3 or P4 story/cast more, P4G is such a better game than P3P that if you're cool with what you've seen so far it's all but guaranteed you will also like P4G.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 23, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rapdawg posted:

You don't quite get a year- the final day you have to yourself is the 31st of January. But yes, keep the time limit in mind.

quote:

No. Also, get rid of Orpheus ASAP. He's terrible and there's no reason to keep him around since you can just buy him back from the Compendium at any time for a relative pittance for if you need him for some reason.

quote:

Yes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

subhelios posted:

I only bring in the party when I am literally forced to. Times like those I just ignore them and they have about a 50/50 of doing okay or getting killed.

They're optional challenges, with some potentially good rewards and if you beat them all you can face a superboss. Most of them essentially necessitate party tactics, though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

subhelios posted:

I think they're required if you want to fight Margaret.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rapdawg posted:

If you have a Vita already and are enjoying P3P I cannot think of a single reason you shouldn't buy P4 Golden.

There are definitely parts I felt P3P did better but as a whole P4G is the better game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
So I'm sure this question has been asked in the past, but I'm having a conflict of choice in regards to the PSN availability of Persona : Eternal Punishment.

I'm curious for those who have played the Japanese version: is it that much improved from the PSOne classic, or is it a negligible difference? I can speak Japanese and I live in Japan, so finding a copy isn't hard. The major issue is that my reading isn't fantastic. On the other hand, having all of the games in English on my Vita would be super convenient. Is it worth it to just play Eternal Punishment on the Classic version, or am I really missing out?

On a side note, I'm also not a huge fan of the first Persona. I might even go so far as to say it's a not-very-good game. I'm super interested in the P2 Duology, though, so I'm wondering if it would be a good way to spend some Christmas cash.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
subhelios, SMT3: Nocturne really sounds more like your kind of game. Unless you played it already?

laplace posted:

So I'm sure this question has been asked in the past, but I'm having a conflict of choice in regards to the PSN availability of Persona : Eternal Punishment.

I'm curious for those who have played the Japanese version: is it that much improved from the PSOne classic, or is it a negligible difference? I can speak Japanese and I live in Japan, so finding a copy isn't hard. The major issue is that my reading isn't fantastic. On the other hand, having all of the games in English on my Vita would be super convenient. Is it worth it to just play Eternal Punishment on the Classic version, or am I really missing out?

On a side note, I'm also not a huge fan of the first Persona. I might even go so far as to say it's a not-very-good game. I'm super interested in the P2 Duology, though, so I'm wondering if it would be a good way to spend some Christmas cash.

There's an entire new scenario where you find out what happened to Tatsuya between the two games. It is apparently really great. Also, redone UI and soundtrack are good too.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

subhelios, SMT3: Nocturne really sounds more like your kind of game. Unless you played it already?

I have, though the only ending I ever went after was True Demon.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is there something special about the the SMTIII:Nocturne pixie? I've been avoiding any walkthroughs and guides, but I did read somewhere that if you keep leveling her up, she becomes this godly character of sorts, but I've already let her transform into High Pixie right now, so I don't know if I've done anything wrong or not.

If I've messed it up, then I might as well fuse her with something else, but can I still keep her and level her up? She's a pretty decent support character, so I'm okay with her so far, but if that's going to cost me later in the game, then I might as well let her go sooner than later.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's only relevant if you're doing the optional dungeon, but as long as you keep her around in some form (high pixie counts, or anything you fuse that high pixie into) you're good.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's an entire new scenario where you find out what happened to Tatsuya between the two games. It is apparently really great. Also, redone UI and soundtrack are good too.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought it in Japanese for ¥980 (just under $10). I figure it's worth it for the extra content and consistency with IS.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

uncleKitchener posted:

Is there something special about the the SMTIII:Nocturne pixie? I've been avoiding any walkthroughs and guides, but I did read somewhere that if you keep leveling her up, she becomes this godly character of sorts, but I've already let her transform into High Pixie right now, so I don't know if I've done anything wrong or not.

If I've messed it up, then I might as well fuse her with something else, but can I still keep her and level her up? She's a pretty decent support character, so I'm okay with her so far, but if that's going to cost me later in the game, then I might as well let her go sooner than later.

Fusing her is okay. Pixie and all descendants of her through Fusion (resummoning from compendium doesn't count) will always be the first demon on your list.

Just don't dismiss that demon and you're golden.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm guessing the optional dungeon is the park in Shibuya, though that's just me guessing because I'm only at the Matador right now and it's just a wild guess.

How many dungeons are there in this game roughly in total? I got a feeling that I'm not even 1/50 through this game yet.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm guessing the optional dungeon is the park in Shibuya, though that's just me guessing because I'm only at the Matador right now and it's just a wild guess.

How many dungeons are there in this game roughly in total? I got a feeling that I'm not even 1/50 through this game yet.

You're not at the optional dungeon just yet. It's really, really obvious when you reach it--it feels totally tacked on rather than a natural part of the rest of the game. Which it kind of is, since it wasn't in the original release of the game.

Not that it being tacked on is a bad thing though, since it's a great dungeon and general expansion to the game at large.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Played the new patch (May as well call it daily build at this point) of P4U: Ultra Suplex today. Labrys is buffed back to playability and a new character (Shadow Sho, full with Persona) was added. Yu and Chie are still OP God Tier, Aigis has a few changes that make her more wacky but functional, and Akihiko is unplayable garbage for some reason. I expect the next round to have some buffs for him. The new character is still pretty unfinished... It seems some of their animations are incomplete/messed up right now so that could change.

All of these dailies have me wondering just exactly how different the full game will be. Atlus/Arcsys is clearly taking player feedback, recording play and win statistics. They also added a training mode to single play (Fuuka is the narrator/coach) to help facilitate newbies/teach old players how to play the new game better. Overall the feel is very different, though most changes are at least somewhat interesting -- some characters have whole new move sets and play styles, more so than most fighting game sequels.

With the popularity of the P3 movie here in Japan I'm sure more P3 characters will be added at some point, maybe even before console launch. Hopefully it performs well enough that we can get the full-franchise fighting game some of us have been wishing for in the future.

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 26, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

laplace posted:

With the popularity of the P3 movie here in Japan I'm sure more P3 characters will be added at some point, maybe even before console launch. Hopefully it performs well enough that we can get the full-franchise fighting game some of us have been wishing for in the future.

I kind of hope they add Ken at some point in the future.

Because let's all be honest here, who hasn't at some point wanted the visceral satisfaction of beating the tar out of that little turd without having to play through The Answer?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Because let's all be honest here, who hasn't at some point wanted the visceral satisfaction of beating the tar out of that little turd without having to play through The Answer?

Awkward puberty Ken, now with new voice cracking action. Ship it.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Awkward puberty Ken, now with new voice cracking action. Ship it.

Oh god, I read that in Yes Man's voice!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Only if they add Koromaru too. Because then I can beat the tar out of him as my favorite character. Or have some crazy time travel/alternate dimension thing going on so we can have both Shinjiro and Eikichi.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Koromaru's likely to be an old dog by this point.

Seeing his puppies, on the other hand, would be a thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How so? It's been what,three years or two? He wasn't that old in P3 so that this little time would put him into old age.