Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Saint Sputnik posted:

Gallowalkers with Wesley Snipes is a passable avant-garde western. The plot is pretty goofy and all the characters are out of an anime or something but it has all the right ingredients for a western, from the set pieces to the music. The gunplay is only so-so. I guess it's basically Blade: The Western.
That is literally what I thought of it as well.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah it's usually pretty nuanced, which is nice. There's a guy who holes up in a hospital with hostages because his daughter, who was in need of a heart transplant, got skipped over,
Wasn't that a Denzel Movie, like a decade back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

coyo7e posted:

That is literally what I thought of it as well.
Wasn't that a Denzel Movie, like a decade back?

John Q, yeah.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A Place At The Table is a really :smith: documentary about hunger in America. And it has Jeff Bridges.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
So, uh, Lost Girl got more episodes. I, uh, saw the first season. It was, uh, pretty ok. Kinda hot.

Yep.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I don't know when, but they added The Ghost and the Darkness. It's an awesome true story about a duo of male lions that start killing people for sport and generally act not-like-lions. It also has Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer.

Seriously, watch it.

Seconding this. It's a really good movie.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Kraps posted:

I was about to ask how you get notices but I noticed they're in the "Promotions" tab of gmail. I've been kind of ambivalent about them but now they just suck. :colbert:

I get them as notifications on my phone since I have the app installed on there (Android). I signed up for the notices through email but never seem to receive them but then again I still have lovely Hotmail so :iiam:

I ending up binging through the last season of Futurama this past weekend and while some episodes were somewhat mediocre, I think the finale was a bittersweet way to end it. I admit I enjoy the Saturday Morning Fun Pit episode.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I tried to slog through that fun pit episode and just couldn't do it. I loved Futurama too. Sigh.

I skipped from that to the finale and it was great at least.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

priznat posted:

I tried to slog through that fun pit episode and just couldn't do it. I loved Futurama too. Sigh.

I skipped from that to the finale and it was great at least.

The finale is really good. Also watch Game of Tones if you want to watch the saddest ending outside of Jurassic Bark.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After watching most of the season, I'm off the fence on Ripper Street and heartily recommend it if you can stomach very depressing dramas where everyone loses, is unhappy, suffers emotionally and physically, and possibly dies. Lock up your firearms because it can be an emotional ride. :smithicide:

What is it? Post-Jack the Ripper cop show in Whitechapel. The first couple episodes are good but the show improves considerably as the season goes.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kraps posted:

So, uh, Lost Girl got more episodes. I, uh, saw the first season. It was, uh, pretty ok. Kinda hot.

Yep.

So how much shame will I feel when everyone sees it in the recently watched list? It's constantly in my recommended list, but the premise, bleh.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Death At A Funeral, and I'd recommend it to anyone who like comedies of error, especially if you're a fan of Alan Tudyk.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

wormil posted:

After watching most of the season, I'm off the fence on Ripper Street and heartily recommend it if you can stomach very depressing dramas where everyone loses, is unhappy, suffers emotionally and physically, and possibly dies. Lock up your firearms because it can be an emotional ride. :smithicide:

What is it? Post-Jack the Ripper cop show in Whitechapel. The first couple episodes are good but the show improves considerably as the season goes.

Eh, I watched it all the way through and I have issues with the main character. There seems to be a HUGE discrepancy between his acting and the Sergeant (Bron from GoT, huge plus). It's almost cartoonish how Britishy he conducts himself. He would be much better suited to dirty himself up and drop a social class or two. The American surgeon also seems kinda cartoony.

Some of the stories are really good, would have preferred that they followed up with the whole "Jack the Ripper" thing and wish it wasn't taking place afterwards, preferably like either during or it just starts happening during the other stories. It's kinda like a bait and switch, "Hey this is a cop show about Jack the Ripper! LAWL J/K it's about hookers, political scandal/conspiracy, and general bad guy douchery."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Leper Residue posted:

So how much shame will I feel when everyone sees it in the recently watched list? It's constantly in my recommended list, but the premise, bleh.

It's a fun as poo poo show.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Leper Residue posted:

I just watched the first three episodes from his recommendation, and at least in those, I didn't find it that embarrassing at all. It reminds me of Buffy/Angel with a bit more sexiness in there. But if you've watched Nip Tuck or American Horror Story, those shows seem a lot worse about sex.

I thought it was really cool though, to see a main character entirely have casual sex just to heal her wounds(as in magically heal a cut in her neck) and have some fun. She did develop some feelings for the guy, but it was just sort of jump on him and go at it with no strings attached. The guy is like her mobile battery or something. But it wasn't seen as her being trashing or anything and seemed entirely normal.

My other thought is I feel like Kenzi is cooler than Bo, and somehow I want the show to be about Kenzi and her fae friend.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Kraps posted:

Yep.

Lost Girl is the best piece of low budget Canadian television you could ever watch. It knows exactly what it is and rolls with it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

karn1635 posted:

Eh, I watched it all the way through and I have issues with the main character. There seems to be a HUGE discrepancy between his acting and the Sergeant (Bron from GoT, huge plus). It's almost cartoonish how Britishy he conducts himself. He would be much better suited to dirty himself up and drop a social class or two. The American surgeon also seems kinda cartoony.

Some of the stories are really good, would have preferred that they followed up with the whole "Jack the Ripper" thing and wish it wasn't taking place afterwards, preferably like either during or it just starts happening during the other stories. It's kinda like a bait and switch, "Hey this is a cop show about Jack the Ripper! LAWL J/K it's about hookers, political scandal/conspiracy, and general bad guy douchery."

I don't disagree with those criticisms although I wasn't expecting Jack the Ripper stories since it takes place right after. My biggest issue with the main character is his demeanor switching back and forth between tough guy and milquetoast. But it's well made, well acted, and a sincere effort that is worth watching. Apparently most people agree with you since it was cancelled after series 2.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
:siren:MOVIE SIGN:siren:
The following episodes of MST3K were just added:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Warrior of the Lost World
Night of the Blood Beast
The Unearthly
The Atomic Brain
Gamera vs. Barugon

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Blackfish is a really touching documentary about trainer deaths at Seaworld than make you hate Seaworld and love whales.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Volume posted:

Blackfish is a really touching documentary about trainer deaths at Seaworld than make you hate Seaworld and love whales.

It's about as touching as The Cove

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The Man From Nowhere was about as uplifting as The Road, but very good nonetheless.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

zenintrude posted:

It's about as touching as The Cove

Bad touch.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Foxhound posted:

The Man From Nowhere was about as uplifting as The Road, but very good nonetheless.

I'll double this recommendation. One of the best action movies I've seen in a while. Be warned though: It gets really hopeless at points.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kraps posted:

Yep.

This show is such a ridiculous guilty pleasure. New season should start soon!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone watched The Iceman yet? I don't remember hearing about this movie but based on the cast I am interested.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a new favorite recommendation; Because you like Always Sunny in Philidelphia you might like Requiem for a Dream

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Deadite posted:

Has anyone watched The Iceman yet? I don't remember hearing about this movie but based on the cast I am interested.

I watched it because the trailer made it look good, and I absolutely love Michael Shannon (and the rest of the cast is great- Winona Ryder, Chris Evans somehow made to look totally gross and I think Ray Liotta the villain mob guy)- but it just felt very flat somehow. Not a bad movie, and I wouldn't say you should skip it, it just wasn't especially memorable.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Deadite posted:

Just watch the interviews with the guy it's based on (I think they were on HBO?) and save yourself the time. They're about a million times more interesting.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Watched Proteus today and well, it's the movie The Thing set on a oil rig basically. It's directed by the same guy who did the movie Carnosaur.

Also while it is no longer on netflix instant, I highly recommend the indie movie Take Shelter. It's about a man who keeps having visions of a horrible storm and tries to convince his family that they are in danger.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

User-Friendly posted:

Just watch the interviews with the guy it's based on (I think they were on HBO?) and save yourself the time. They're about a million times more interesting.

That's one of the reasons I was interested, and since it's starring Michael Shannon who can be great in lead roles (see the recommendation for Take Shelter above).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

User-Friendly posted:

They're also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgi72W2H7U

It's been there forever so it doesn't look like they plan to make them take it down.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Black Books was taken off streaming. :negative:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The documentary Somm was really great. Personally I don't give a poo poo about wine but it's absolutely insane to see what it takes to become a master sommelier.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Along those lines, Three Stars goes behind the scenes with nine international chefs who've been rated three Michelin stars, and it's absolutely fascinating. Don't watch with an empty stomach.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Zombie Hunters - Crazy drunk guy with a klingon knife gets in a wreck, and everybody except for (in the movie for for no real reason at all) Danny Trejo wants a piece of his :awesome: . Zombies get a little bit Resident Evil powered up, and there's a lot of softcore TnA and jokes about wanking and/or loving. Completely mindless fluff that's aware of itself, and suitably ridiculous. I liked it a good deal.

The American - George Clooney is super paranoid, and then he starts to worry about everybody else, too! He really gets hooked on this hooker in a quaint Italian (or something) town while he's waiting to build a custom gun for some anonymous contract hitman. Occasionally, he goes all Jason Bourne and kinda gets the hots for an assassin chick. There are a lot of picnics involved. This is a decent keep-the-girlfriend-happy flick, with tons of slow scenery shots and romantic fluff between the ominous stalking scenes in medieval townscapes.

Stranded - spaceship horror movie with Christian Slater pulling a solid role as the security officer dude. Most of the movie is held up by Michael Therriault (who I mistook for Michael Rappaport for half the movie). There's a lot of not being sure if everybody is hallucinating or if there is some creepy-baby stuff going on, and I was pleasantly surprised overall.

Olympus Has Fallen - North Korea is evil, and they can somehow sneak hundreds of armed soldiers into Washington, D.C. with assault rifles and sweet skull bandanas. Gerard Butler kills (regrettably, because she's gorgeous and not in enough movies) Ashley Judd - early in, in front of her son - before going on to depopulate half of Asia. The Secretary of State looks remarkably like someone's secretary which cracked me up a bit, and then gerard Butler kills more evil asians, and his wife is totally gonna gently caress him after being the ice queen, after the end of this movie. This one is pretty great, I have to admit. It's like one of the old, good Steven Seagal movies, except with way more MMA and headshots. The knife in brain denouement is true, that was super dumb and great, and it wasn't even the best knife in brain of the movie!

Hypothermia - is a movie containing some hidden gems (including the inestimable Michael Rooker aka Merle from Walking Dead, and "Henry", in all his curly-haired glory) despite its rather small cast and setpieces. The monster is totally a dude in a latex gimp suit with some poo poo glued to it however, it really doesn't matter because the movie is fun for all of its dumbness. I suspect that most of the cast joined in just so they could have a vacay and hang out on a snowy lake and do a halfass job on a silly monster movie with bad costumes, but it's a good time overall despite some hamfisted writing (the monster makes the movie).

The Frozen - decent creepy lost-in-the-snow flick about a strained romantic couple, with some rather clumsy (spoiler for the first 3 minutes of the movie) "Oh god I'm newly pregnant and possibly injured and lost my babby :baw:" moments thrown in to artificially enhance the tension of being stuck in the woods with occasionally creepy faerie-zombies wandering around with torches, and stalked by scary rednecks. Ruined by its own ending (don't click this if you plan to watch the movie ever) but it's actually The Sixth Sense and boyfriend was a lovely driver. Run around shouting at other people but they can't hear you oh noes! The End. I rated it 2 simply because the ending was lovely and lazy after I felt like I'd waited for something better. :saddowns:

Revelation Road: The Beginning of the End - I started this one randomly, assuming it was some post-apoc dross/satire - and it is! With extra :siren: :911: JESUS! :911: :siren:
This is still a completely over the top and hilarious joyride and I really hope there is another one because it was fun as hell. Mild-mannered gun salesman just so happens to have a checkered past and bad memories, and then someone tries to rob him while he's trying to sell armored vests to a bible-thumping gun store owner! Hilarity ensues, along with a token biker gang led by Thor (who might be a werewolf to boot, not quite sure.) Strong recommends to pretty much everyone (except for Christians with good taste in film, sorry! v:shobon:v ) I kind of felt like I was being sold insurance or as if I was being told to vote for Mike Huckabee by a handful of vaguely recognizable actors for half the movie, but it was silly enough that it more than made up.

Bounty Killer - some Grindhouse level post-apoc shlock about a hot chick in a cheerleader/waitress outfit, and the enigmatic dude she loves and keeps trying to kill. Rich people ruined the world and bounty hunters kick rear end, there's a cameo by a total Galafinakis wannabe and terrible lines thrown everywhere, very "Sin City"-esque. I think I remember a team of midgets showing up somewhere but that might have been a commercial for that pit bull "reality show" that popped up when I'd paused the movie... It all runs together in a slew of awesome, along the same level as Zombie Hunter but with worse acting.

Black Forest - kind of like that "Once Upon a Time" TV series, except civilians tend to get eaten by trolls and stuff. Everybody's an archetype but eventually they reveal what was going on and it turns out pretty solid. Douchebags and Their Girls Lost in the Woods, except it's all fractures fairy tales. Kind of forgettable for all that.

Devil's Pass - I'd been skipping this one over for a bit until the new XBox Netflix App updates which give multiple teaser shots for each movie - and I realized there were skeezy "The Descent" style monsters in it. Turned out to be found footage (which I hate,) and remarkably well-done. The premise for the scary poo poo caught me off guard, it continued to pile on really creepy little details which kept giving me shivers, and the ending twist was bordering on :aaa: and :black101: A great movie despite it being primarily found-footage, don't walk off and leave it playing or you'll probably miss some great details which would otherwise make it seem flat. Extra bonus technical points for the kids who get lost in the snow, supposedly being college students from the town I live in (they totally had a U of O pennant in a couple of early shots of a "dorm room", and then the kids all stood in deep snow in front of a building which doesn't exist on that college campus. But still, yay city-name and/or sports team!)
"Silly children, you don't really believe what the media tells you..?!"

Alien Uprising - aliens start rolling in to London or something, and the hungover dudes who like to jump bouncers bring their girlfriends (and the token American chick, which is rad because she knows how to use a gun!) and try to make it out of town to Uncle Van Damme's Farm since all the power is down and people are nuts. Jean Claude Van Damme is the safest place on the block! One of the girlfriends is super hot and looks kinda like Katy Perry, and there are alien spies inexplicably trying to kill people - women and children first! It gets kind of supernatural, then kind of monster movie-ish, then zombie movie-ish, and then the ending gets really crazy. I liked it however, I wasn't very satisfied with the ending (except for the News Anchor.) Too many clumsy flashbacks early in yet they don't hurt the movie too much.
Jean Claude couldn't kick his way out of this one :dawkins101:

The Iceman - 60s-70s crime drama about a polish dude who made it big killing people for organised crime and was a successful family man. Lots of roles filled by recognizable actors (David Schwimmer has an extremely regrettable mustache/ponytail combo going on,) doing solid crime drama work, with Winona Ryder playing the frightened housewife. There's an ice cream man with a van full of frozen bodyparts, which ought to be enough to get you to check it out and also Captain America is the long-haired sociopath driving the van!

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Dec 23, 2013

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

NienNunb posted:

You should watch Twin Peaks.

Also, everyone in the world should watch Twin Peaks.

I'll ask this like I asked in TV/IV:

A friend of mine said to watch Twin Peaks only up until "The Cops find out who the killer is" and then to stop watching because the rest just turns into uninteresting soap opera bullshit.

TV/IV seemed to be half "That's retarded, it's all amazing", and half "Yeah that's about right, but you can still watch the last episode and you didn't miss anything."

Thoughts?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

I'll ask this like I asked in TV/IV:

A friend of mine said to watch Twin Peaks only up until "The Cops find out who the killer is" and then to stop watching because the rest just turns into uninteresting soap opera bullshit.

TV/IV seemed to be half "That's retarded, it's all amazing", and half "Yeah that's about right, but you can still watch the last episode and you didn't miss anything."

Thoughts?

Season 1 of Twin Peaks had me hooked in seconds. I started season 2 and gave up halfway through the second episode.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Bad Sneakers posted:

Black Books was taken off streaming. :negative:

This is a drat travesty. Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are a comedy duo dreams are made of.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
If you can transport yourself to the UK, it's still up there. As is Black Mirror, for anyone that has not seen it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

coyo7e posted:

Stranded - spaceship horror movie with Christian Slater pulling a solid role as the security officer dude. Most of the movie is held up by Michael Therriault (who I mistook for Michael Rappaport for half the movie). There's a lot of not being sure if everybody is hallucinating or if there is some creepy-baby stuff going on, and I was pleasantly surprised overall.

I got about three minutes into this before me and the missus quite accurately described it as the worst thing either of us have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spuckuk posted:

I got about three minutes into this before me and the missus quite accurately described it as the worst thing either of us have ever seen.

You have had some kind of sheltered life, then. Try Aberration (just watched it last night, one of the most inexplicably included romances I've ever seen in a movie about people fighting killer lizards in a snowstorm, probably only included for the "keep me warm" jokes,) and then tell me that a low budget Christian Slater flick is "quite accurately the worst thing you've ever seen".

Or hell just go straight to the bottom and try G-Men From Hell, or Zombies Vs. Strippers. Or even that Deathstalker one I posted about a month or few back, the swords and sorcery movie chock full o' misogyny and jokes about the protagonist forcefully attempting to rape a man who's been ensorcelled to look like a woman..

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Dec 23, 2013

• Locked thread