Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

Well the company I worked for used to make telephone exchanges, and a feature to do with number mapping was originally going to be called the Translation Index Table, meaning that all commands to operate on it would have been of the form aa TIT nnnn

Unfortunately, we had a department that existed solely to allocate and manage TLAs (and ETLAs) so that there were no conflicts within the same product, and they stomped on that one. The feature eventually got through as TITT but not sure what it stood for.

One of my jobs (until the 31st :commissar:) is making sure nothing offensive ships in code. We have a tool that reads code and looks for offensive terms. Most of these are completely WTF and are generally triggered by things like guids (random hex strings). It's hilarious to see programs with -CACA- in the guid, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Paladine_PSoT posted:

One of my jobs (until the 31st :commissar:) is making sure nothing offensive ships in code. We have a tool that reads code and looks for offensive terms. Most of these are completely WTF and are generally triggered by things like guids (random hex strings). It's hilarious to see programs with -CACA- in the guid, though.

One of our software engineers does this to our product, and had to do massive redactions to our password dictionary. Our parent company and primary licensee has a support tech (we'll call him Mark) who complained about the word 'niggardly' remaining in the password database, as it popped up for him when he changed his own pass one day. For anyone who's not aware, the word means "grudgingly mean about spending", and completely isn't a racist thing.

There is now a hard-coded ten percent chance that if Mark's username is generating a password, it will use the word "niggardly" at least once.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Exit Strategy posted:

Our parent company and primary licensee has a support tech (we'll call him Mark) who complained about the word 'niggardly' remaining in the password database, as it popped up for him when he changed his own pass one day. For anyone who's not aware, the word means "grudgingly mean about spending", and completely isn't a racist thing.

To be fair, it's a pretty archaic term and it's one letter away from a well known racial slur. I would have just shrugged and removed it just because of the potential for heartache down the line from someone very easily offended.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Our software's codebase used to have some pretty arcane restrictions on variable and routine name length. As a result, I'm constantly finding variables and functions with names that are something benign with the vowels removed, but look like sex words as a result. Imagine debugging and find a function called "anlzeHM".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

There's a guy that's setting up an email surveillance tool in my department and he was showing me the default policies it comes with which contains what I can only imagine is the content of urban dictionary for its "sex euphemisms".

It also has a specific policy to generate real time alerts if anyone sends a mail containing the string "hitler was right". I'd like to see what circumstances require that - "dave from accounting is on stormfront again, please turn on the Godwin filter".

We also have a search engine that has a list of regional slang for conversion e.g. a search for "randy" returns results for "horny" not sure what environment the vendor thinks we're running here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

We also have a search engine that has a list of regional slang for conversion e.g. a search for "randy" returns results for "horny" not sure what environment the vendor thinks we're running here.

:v: I'm Randy, from Marketing.
:heysexy: Are you now?

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Maintaining the naughty word dictionary for generated IDs is one of the best parts of my job. Explaining to my colleague the meaning of the entries I added was perhaps the worst (why the hell is this a peer reviewed process?!).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

door.jar posted:

Maintaining the naughty word dictionary for generated IDs is one of the best parts of my job. Explaining to my colleague the meaning of the entries I added was perhaps the worst (why the hell is this a peer reviewed process?!).

Well, we have to make sure we have a drat good reason why Steve Pisscunt can't have his last name for his ID.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

door.jar posted:

Ok I'll bite.

What entries did you add?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

:v: I'm Randy, from Marketing.
:heysexy: Are you now?

I suspect that if Lum had seen this she'd have brought it up as she obviously has more Netware experience than me, but famously Novell had an employee called Randy Bender who pushed out a least a few of their technical articles.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

I suspect that if Lum had seen this she'd have brought it up as she obviously has more Netware experience than me, but famously Novell had an employee called Randy Bender who pushed out a least a few of their technical articles.

Only just seen it. I was out visiting a friend who for some reason wants to get into the IT industry, supposedly I was going to show her around VMWare but instead she fell asleep on me and then I followed suit. Woke up six hours later and had to come home. It was still a more useful and productive evening than many of my work days have been of late.

Anyway, you mean this guy?

https://web.archive.org/web/20040501092704/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/08/10/all_hail_randy_bender/

And yes I had a childish giggle at that name on a few occasions.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well, we have to make sure we have a drat good reason why Steve Pisscunt can't have his last name for his ID.

Well yeah, you'd want to avoid the Scunthorpe problem, but this is for internally generated ID numbers such as AAAA1111, you probably want to avoid giving someone an ID of TWAT5000 or COCK1000.

Lum posted:

What entries did you add?

It was mostly obvious stuff that had been missed and a few standard personalized plate type spellings. It's just a really awkward situation to be in, having to explain why NGGR is on the list. And now I'm forever attached to this thing in version control.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

door.jar posted:

Well yeah, you'd want to avoid the Scunthorpe problem, but this is for internally generated ID numbers such as AAAA1111, you probably want to avoid giving someone an ID of TWAT5000 or COCK1000.

It was mostly obvious stuff that had been missed and a few standard personalized plate type spellings. It's just a really awkward situation to be in, having to explain why NGGR is on the list. And now I'm forever attached to this thing in version control.

Seriously, someone needed that explaining? If so they have no business being responsible for such a list!

I was hoping for something a little more obscure and kinky, like with that number format you should probably add CB2000 to the list and then you'll have fun explaining why.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Lum posted:

Seriously, someone needed that explaining? If so they have no business being responsible for such a list!

I was hoping for something a little more obscure and kinky, like with that number format you should probably add CB2000 to the list and then you'll have fun explaining why.

It mostly irritates me that i've had two testers with genitalia slang last names, and I have to give false positives to every instance of "Test code written by ...", not to mention the other completely normal words constantly used in coding that have potentially offensive meanings, Red for instance.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It mostly irritates me that i've had two testers with genitalia slang last names, and I have to give false positives to every instance of "Test code written by ...", not to mention the other completely normal words constantly used in coding that have potentially offensive meanings, Red for instance.

If you're flagging on words like "red" you are probably being a little overzealous.

This kind of filtering gets even more fun when you add different varieties of English to the mix. Even major corporations mess this up!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Lum posted:

If you're flagging on words like "red" you are probably being a little overzealous.

This kind of filtering gets even more fun when you add different varieties of English to the mix. Even major corporations mess this up!

My company is global, we have hundreds of word lists and depending on the scope of your program, you might have to run them all.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My company is global, we have hundreds of word lists and depending on the scope of your program, you might have to run them all.

Is even more fun when it's global.

Have fun convincing some ignorant whiny gently caress that e.g. Rusty Kuntz is a real name and no you won't remove him from the credits.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Lum posted:

Is even more fun when it's global.

Have fun convincing some ignorant whiny gently caress that e.g. Rusty Kuntz is a real name and no you won't remove him from the credits.

As long as you don't have to explain what a Rusty Venture is. In that case it's a lot simpler just to show them this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Verizian posted:

As long as you don't have to explain what a Rusty Venture is. In that case it's a lot simpler just to show them this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs

Great, now I have to add "Double Frogman" to my lists.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lum posted:

Rusty Kuntz is a real name and no you won't remove him from the credits.

Hey look, the right answer.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Only funny name I know of is Rusty Hammer.

:colbert:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

And yes I had a childish giggle at that name on a few occasions.

Hours of fun - literally hours. Even more fun when you're reading at work, AND the only person to understand English, and people want you to explain why you're laughing. (I was genuinely barred from looking at ANY websites in English while at NEC headquarters working for them on a win32/MFC project. As anyone who is fluent in not-English will tell you, searching for programming help in any non-English language is a stupid idea - just within the remit of Microsoft here, the German MSDN is machine translated so makes no sense, and the Japanese MSDN is hand-translated which means that it is out of date, and has large chunks missing)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Priss In Plate posted:

Only funny name I know of is Rusty Hammer.

:colbert:

Never worked with scandinavians I see; Monster is a common Swedish surname.

Angry Swede
Apr 25, 2007

Rockin' it Hitler style

hihifellow posted:

Never worked with scandinavians I see; Monster is a common Swedish surname.

No, it isn't. I've never heard of it, and in the search I just did I only found 6 persons, most of which had the same address.
Monster has exactly the same meaning and spelling in both Swedish and English.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still giggle when I see the name Windy Fan pop up.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Angry Swede posted:

No, it isn't. I've never heard of it, and in the search I just did I only found 6 persons, most of which had the same address.
Monster has exactly the same meaning and spelling in both Swedish and English.

Then somehow I must have worked with all six of them when I was doing european/asian support.

Might not have been Sweden, Poland maybe? It was over 6 years ago...

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Cross-posting from working in IT, but relevant to current discussions, I have a customer that signs all his emails with his initials.

"Thanks
JEW"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CDW posted:

Cross-posting from working in IT, but relevant to current discussions, I have a customer that signs all his emails with his initials.

"Thanks
JEW"

We got someone in another department who signs all of her ticket updates in call caps with no punctuation or line breaks, like your username isn't there for everyone to see THANKS RENEGRET

I'm always asking why she thanks herself after every update.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
A friend is called Dick de Cock (Dutch name). Whenever he goes to a conference, there is a 50-50 change he got taken off the attendee list, because someone thought they were being trolled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow that's a name. I usually only work with people who had lovely parents, IE Rob Roberts.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My last company had a sales rep named Dick Odor. Poor guy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Nerdrock posted:

My last company had a sales rep named Dick Odor. Poor guy.

That name is ridiculous.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

GreenNight posted:

Wow that's a name. I usually only work with people who had lovely parents, IE Rob Roberts.

Well, in Dutch, the name doesn't mean anything bad and his parents are quite bad at english.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

That name is ridiculous.

Quite. In all the paperwork he goes by Richard, but he always went by Dick, in person. The more "creative" factory personnel who knew him would shout "HEY PECKER BREATH" to him when he'd be in for the annual sales rep gathering.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
First case of the day, a giant gamer tower someone built at home and it's not powering on.

Probably because the CPU fan is plugged into something that's not even a fan port. :gonk:

It should go without saying that it's a rat's nest of cabling full of flashy blinkenlights held in place by packing tape rather than zipties.

I remember this guy's previous system because he had a video card that wouldn't quite fit in the case so he used a dremel or something to cut off bits of its plastic casing until it fit.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Entropic posted:

I remember this guy's previous system because he had a video card that wouldn't quite fit in the case so he used a dremel or something to cut off bits of its plastic casing until it fit.

:stare:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Entropic posted:

:black101:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Entropic posted:

We once took a hacksaw to the metal bracket on an internal wireless card to make it fit the form factor of the case. That was at least three years ago and that machine is still going strong.

We don't normally bother with wireless on desktops, but we needed to get service to a single machine in a small building that has no other form of network connection. We were also obliged to put a rush on it so we had to go with whatever we could find at Best Buy.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So over the weekend the Sr tech upgraded the internet. Overall the process went fairly smoothly. Email is mostly working, some reverse DNS issues, but that's on the ISP side. This morning I went to do some speed tests because I know the CEO for the client would.

I ran about 9 or 10 tests and my average was 4.8 down and 3.7 up which is slower than their old service. It is supposed to be 10 up and 10 down so i sent an email to the sr and account lead to confirm.

me: Hey, just wanted to confirm what speed <client> is supposed to have now? Im only getting about 5 down and 4 up.
sr: You know the answer to that already.
me: well did you run any speed tests after you finished the migration?
sr: Yes I did, it was running around 6-7 Mb/s Up/Down.
me: so it was running at 60% capacity and you left it at that without following up with the ISP?

still haven't gotten an answer on that. Guess I'm calling the ISP, but I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be . "All speeds are best possible, not guaranteed rates"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

blackswordca posted:

"All speeds are best possible, not guaranteed rates"

If it's anything like our only high speed ISP, that's pretty much the answer you'll get no matter how much you complain. I remember we upgraded from the 5 mbps to the 50 mbps plan and after all was said and done, our speed tests were showing .3. POINT THREE.

I called to see what was going on and the smarmy tech kept giving me the "we offer UP TO 50 mbps, but don't guarantee it" crap. I asked to speak to her supervisor who gave me the same junk. So we upgrade to a plan that is 10 times faster and should be satisfied that our internet has now been cut to a fraction of what it was before?

It took almost a month to get ahold of a tech that would listen and fix our issue, and, even then, our connection caps out at about 15-16 megs.

• Locked thread