Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Feenix posted:

So I don't want to mess anything up, but if there are perks or things to be had at the Dojo (I just visited just now for the first time since it was newly built) I'm all ears. :D

Right off the main room are the labs. Each lab has recipes for really good weapons that you can use at certain mastery levels. I'd suggest checking the wiki for the weapons available and the mastery levels required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cowcaster posted:

So for the first time ever (since they adjusted the credit rewards many months back), materials aren't my bottleneck for building stuff I want, but credits. Is the best way to build up a supply just running my favorite defense mission over and over again?

If you've been running boss/void missions sell off your duplicate blueprints for a quick 2,500 a pop.

Note: never sell off an extra blueprint if you're currently making that item in the foundry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, is the only place to get Control Module all the way out in Europa?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, what is Warframe?

Warframe is most importantly a game crippled by the developer's inability to ever think about or test whatever they're adding to the game. As a result the game keeps getting balance patches that break everything, and it has a fuckton of bugs and crashes. Half of the Warframe abilities are useless poo poo, the Market is mostly full of poo poo you never want to buy and the game eventually devolves into instakills and bullet sponges.

There's two core elements to the gameplay. There's the shooting, running and looting part - where the shooting works fine, the running doesn't work in any intuitive or reliable way and the looting is grindy as gently caress. Where the shooting is fun, it tends to get repetitive and to get the best poo poo you sometimes have to do the same 5-minute mission a hundred times. Not even slightly exaggerating. Also, balance is a faint dream but it doesn't matter because you can do anything in the game with just about any half-assed character, as long as you grind enough.

Now, if you like watching numbers go up, this game is like loving crack. And you can optimize the poo poo out of things, and it doesn't matter because it just means you play the same level for longer without any rewards over doing half as long twice.

So, try it. It's free, and there's no paywall until you are really far into the game. Things you can expect: Spergs yelling at you for not knowing what everything does before ever playing a level, spergs yelling at you for making the mobs deviate from a straight death line by moving around and spergs micromanaging your every move to optimize the loot and the experience points. The shooting mans part is fun, though, as long as someone isn't exploding all of them into a pink haze before you even notice them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

endlessmonotony posted:

Things you can expect: Spergs yelling at you for not knowing what everything does before ever playing a level, spergs yelling at you for making the mobs deviate from a straight death line by moving around and spergs micromanaging your every move to optimize the loot and the experience points. The shooting mans part is fun, though, as long as someone isn't exploding all of them into a pink haze before you even notice them.

Never once had a sperg yell at me in game for anything... and I'm as clueless as they come..

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Uh, yeah. The closest thing I've had to anyone telling me how to play was someone telling me not to bring a toxin to the Cicero injector again or it'd force us to use it, and even then, they agreed that it was dumb of DE not to tell you about it in advance. There've been several players who were glad to help me learn, too. The community for this game has been surprisingly not-terrible in every way for me so far.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That part wasn't entirely serious, it's just me poking fun at my own bad habits.

Though, that does bring to mind one part that I didn't mention: The fact that DE never tells you what to expect or how things work, so you basically need someone to explain half the poo poo in the game and read the wiki for hours.

What you can actually expect: Shooting dudes, lots and lots of bugs, balance issues, crashing and all the grinding you can handle.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

It drops in Neptune and Orokin Voids too.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cowcaster posted:

So for the first time ever (since they adjusted the credit rewards many months back), materials aren't my bottleneck for building stuff I want, but credits. Is the best way to build up a supply just running my favorite defense mission over and over again?
Survival's probably the best bet of the normal mission types due to the occasional credit cache rewards. Void missions are also good.

My preferred method is actually doing those credit alerts that pop up all the time. With a full group, you'll get 30% over the listed reward amount (10% extra for two players total, 20% for three). For example, an 8000 credit alert will net 10400 with a full group. It adds up quick!

MisterOblivious posted:

Note: never sell off an extra blueprint if you're currently making that item in the foundry.
In theory, they've fixed that particular little issue and it shouldn't let you sell blueprints while they're in use like that any more. I say in theory because I'm sure as hell not gonna be the one to test it.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

endlessmonotony posted:

That part wasn't entirely serious, it's just me poking fun at my own bad habits.

Though, that does bring to mind one part that I didn't mention: The fact that DE never tells you what to expect or how things work, so you basically need someone to explain half the poo poo in the game and read the wiki for hours.

What you can actually expect: Shooting dudes, lots and lots of bugs, balance issues, crashing and all the grinding you can handle.

I'm at around 21 hours and haven't crashed yet even with chrome still open. That said though, the game desperately needs better tool tips/more involved tutorial. I had to learn everything from loving around, google or asking here.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

As always, run void missions until you're out of keys. Infested invasions that offer 30,000 credits for 3 missions are also good, and any alerts with around 8,000 credits as the listed reward should get over 10,000 after the bonus for playing with other people. Finally, killing Lech and Vor on Phobos gives you a blueprint and a part guaranteed, which sell for 6,000 credits total. Along with the payout for running the mission, you're looking at about 8,000 per run.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Cowcaster posted:

Running T2 T1 void solo with master thief have worked great for me.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 23, 2013

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Playing for the first time in like 6 months, the out of combat changes are a little steep. The card/mod system is neat. More so after I saw you can just power up an aura card and equip you skills at level 1. Someone mentioned a dojo, so I will have to look for that after work.

Picked up the Valkyr, Hysteria is kind of silly. Fused it up with Fusion cores to rank 3, equipped a rank 1 Continuity mod, ~33 seconds of Hysteria.

Looking forward to finding/figuring out how the rest of the changes worked out.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Next hp restore clantech is ready to research fyi

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh man, what have I been missing with the Galatine? Cut some Grinnie in half and his legs ended up miles away:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Oh man, what have I been missing with the Galatine? Cut some Grinnie in half and his legs ended up miles away:

One of my favourite moments in this game has been to go to Jupiter Defense missions to slice up Crewmen and see how far into the atmosphere I can send their bits flying :allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

QuantaStarFire posted:

One of my favourite moments in this game has been to go to Jupiter Defense missions to slice up Crewmen and see how far into the atmosphere I can send their bits flying :allears:

I put blast onto my mace. It has delivered.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Feenix posted:

Do tower missions. I usually get 3-5 at a time doing them. Usually a goon (hi GlennFrog!) helps me do them. He will do 88% of the damage and I just run around collecting the goodies :v:

Also, build an Ignis if you're at master level 4. You won't regret it. It takes awhile to build the materials for it but every game I'm in where someone has an Ignis they completely dominate the damage done% category. I just started building mine now. Can't wait.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

seiferguy posted:

Also, build an Ignis if you're at master level 4. You won't regret it. It takes awhile to build the materials for it but every game I'm in where someone has an Ignis they completely dominate the damage done% category. I just started building mine now. Can't wait.

Isn't that because it also damages dead bodies, or did they finally fix that? I haven't used my Ignis in a while. Having too much fun with the Penta.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
You can never go wrong with a hot pink or puke green flame thrower. It does get out performed by other rifles at high end mobs but it absolutely murders anything lower. It's especially good in survival.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
I haven't played Warframe since burning out sometime around mid-July or so. What's the current state of the game now? Has DE managed to roll out some actually compelling endgame content? Has Damage 2.0 come out? Is the UI still a piece of warmed over rear end?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lawlicaust posted:

You can never go wrong with a hot pink or puke green flame thrower. It does get out performed by other rifles at high end mobs but it absolutely murders anything lower. It's especially good in survival.

Pretty much. The Ignis has been really, really good on anything below level 30, but once enemies get higher than that it starts to lose effectiveness, especially against heavy units and their buckets of health.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Captain Keene posted:

I haven't played Warframe since burning out sometime around mid-July or so. What's the current state of the game now? Has DE managed to roll out some actually compelling endgame content? Has Damage 2.0 come out? Is the UI still a piece of warmed over rear end?

Endgame content is still void runs and clan research. Survival missions are pretty fun, though. Damage 2.0 was released with the stated goal of making high-end armor not totally overwhelming and also de-emphasizing rainbow elemental builds to improve build variety; high end armor is totally overwhelming (less so now than before, we're actually on something like Damage 2.2 now) and rainbow elemental builds are by far dominant. The arsenal and chat UIs have been changed and are warmed-over rear end--a WIP in-game UI has been teased but it has no consistent direction from either an art or functionality perspective.

But there are more rad weapons to shoot dudes with, which is like 90% of the draw of the game.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Keene posted:

They're getting better at making fun weapons. The only real new (arguably) endgame content is Lephantis, which is a pretty cool boss really, but the frame it drops parts for is pretty underwhelming. Damage 2.0 is out, people complain about it but it's still way better than before. The UI still has a lot of problems in general.

The general consensus now is that DE needs to work on the new player experience, so people seem to be relatively satisfied with the amount of stuff there is to do later in the game.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So when people talk about ODD (Orokin Derelict Defense) is that like the T1/2/3 defense keys or something different?

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

fookolt posted:

So when people talk about ODD (Orokin Derelict Defense) is that like the T1/2/3 defense keys or something different?

Orokin Derelict is where you get mutagen samples and is a run down version of the regular Void, I think the enemies are around level 25 when you start.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

fookolt posted:

Void keys are mission rewards, but Derelict keys are made from those nav coordinates that pop out of boxes. Blueprints are in the market.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Can someone explain how vault runs work? I read the wikipedia page on it but it seems kind of hard to understand.

There are 4 keys and you can run into a vault on some orokin derelict mission types, right? But equipping a key gives you a debuff. So when people do vault runs, does each person equip a different key, or one person equip all 4, or what happens there?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can only equip one at a time, so everyone takes a different one.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

Male Man posted:

Endgame content is still void runs and clan research. Survival missions are pretty fun, though. Damage 2.0 was released with the stated goal of making high-end armor not totally overwhelming and also de-emphasizing rainbow elemental builds to improve build variety; high end armor is totally overwhelming (less so now than before, we're actually on something like Damage 2.2 now) and rainbow elemental builds are by far dominant. The arsenal and chat UIs have been changed and are warmed-over rear end--a WIP in-game UI has been teased but it has no consistent direction from either an art or functionality perspective.

But there are more rad weapons to shoot dudes with, which is like 90% of the draw of the game.

Are any of the new guns especially fun? Back when I was active, the Ogris was the gold standard for mob blasting needs.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
:siren: PS4 Goons :siren:

~45 minutes to go

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Captain Keene posted:

Are any of the new guns especially fun? Back when I was active, the Ogris was the gold standard for mob blasting needs.

The Penta.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The Ignis owns now, too. Huge AOE and respectable damage.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

This gun outshines the Ogris.
You can control exactly when the grenades detonates, making the chance of accidentally killing yourself much lower. Even unranked the gun does a ton of blast damage, the best type of damage to do. The Penta also has really good modding potential, since Split Chamber works with it, as well as Heavy Caliber. Since it's a projectile based weapon, Heavy Caliber is free damage.
Right now, at rank 20 with a catalyst slotted, I got the Penta doing about 2400 blast damage every shot. And like the Ogris it uses rifle ammo.

The only complaint I have with the Penta is that I can't change the colors of the explosions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ogris is still considerably more stylish.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried the built-in VOIP system? I have the Mumble settings, but it seems a waste to take the time to log on, find the goons you're on a mission with, and all go into the same room on the Mumble server when the game itself already has integrated squad voice chat.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It works, sometimes. Most folks on PC don't seem to realize/care that it exists.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

mechanicalFactory posted:

This gun outshines the Ogris.
You can control exactly when the grenades detonates, making the chance of accidentally killing yourself much lower. Even unranked the gun does a ton of blast damage, the best type of damage to do. The Penta also has really good modding potential, since Split Chamber works with it, as well as Heavy Caliber. Since it's a projectile based weapon, Heavy Caliber is free damage.
Right now, at rank 20 with a catalyst slotted, I got the Penta doing about 2400 blast damage every shot. And like the Ogris it uses rifle ammo.

The only complaint I have with the Penta is that I can't change the colors of the explosions.

Split chamber is kind of a waste though cause you can still only have 5 out at once.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Penta is fantastic, really enjoyable. It's probably my favorite gun. You can get on top of the pillars in Derelict Defenses and become an artillery piece. With an Affinity booster, I got my newly Forma'd Nyx back to Rank 15 in one 20-wave run while barely moving.

Oh yeah, thanks to the wiki I managed to get a Fever Strike off of Sharpless. Second run with a buddy of mine in a Nekros. Some guy wanted 40 plat for it and I found one in about 15 minutes. Now they'll be worthless, given the Cicero rewards, but hey, what are you gonna do.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The only thing with the penta is I refused to stop jump sliding into my explosions and got killed more than once for it. :v: