Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So I saw that Sega games were on sale and felt like going on a Sega binge...

I got Sonic 2, and it's incredible. The presentation, the graphics, the controls..... I always sucked at Sonic yet I played my best game ever on my first try (which admittedly means I cleared the third stage), and like an idiot I chose the option that doesn't save your progress.

Since Sonic got such a neat makeover, I figured Space Harrier 2, an old favourite of mine, would have as well.... not the case. The game is so laggy, the music doesn't even play right and the game stutters....

So which Sega games got a makeover, just Sonic 1, 2 and CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duro posted:

So which Sega games got a makeover, just Sonic 1, 2 and CD?

By the same guy? Yeah, I think it is those 3.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

HelloNewman posted:

Does Final Fantasy Tactics allow you to save at any point in the game or do you have to play through every fight before being able to?

You can only manually save after fights, but there is an auto-save that happens after every action. So you can close and the game and replay where you left off. But you can't really save scum every action.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic 1, 2 and CD really are amazing. It's funny that arguably the best versions of these games are on iOS.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sonic 1, 2 and CD really are amazing. It's funny that arguably the best versions of these games are on iOS.

The remake of CD was definitely on other platforms, I have it on Steam. I dunno about 1 and 2.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

GTA SA seems like a great port for the most part but gently caress if there aren't some weird sound issues and the mission 'Sweet's girl' manages to crash the app every time.
Anyone else getting these? I thought I'd be immune from the worst issues with an ipad 4 but apparently not.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Sad lions posted:

GTA SA seems like a great port for the most part but gently caress if there aren't some weird sound issues and the mission 'Sweet's girl' manages to crash the app every time.
Anyone else getting these? I thought I'd be immune from the worst issues with an ipad 4 but apparently not.

I didn't have a problem with "Sweet's Girl" but I have experienced a lot of glitchy audio in cutscenes on my 5C. Hopefully they'll patch it soon; I just wish Apple would implement delta updates for apps because I don't want to download the entire 2 GB or whatever again.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sad lions posted:

Yeah, I'm having the same exact issue on my Air.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Which of Sonic 2 or CD would be the best in 2013, assuming little-to-no nostalgia for either one? Or is nostalgia required to enjoy their design at this point?

For what it's worth I've heard that 2 for iOS is the most recently updated and cleanly remade at this point but have no idea how it stacks up against CD for iOS.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kenny Logins posted:

Which of Sonic 2 or CD would be the best in 2013, assuming little-to-no nostalgia for either one? Or is nostalgia required to enjoy their design at this point?

For what it's worth I've heard that 2 for iOS is the most recently updated and cleanly remade at this point but have no idea how it stacks up against CD for iOS.
Go with 2. I never got into CD because it's an offshoot from 1's gameplay and it adds some weird stage time-travel puzzle stuff that I never really understood.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I think I found a little fix. The crashing for me seemed to happen every time I went to the mission straight from the safe house but if I went and drove somewhere else first (seemingly allowing Sweet's car to spawn) it seems to work okay.
Still way more iffy than I'd like but at least I'm not stuck at the beginning of the game now.

Got nothin' for the sound issues, though.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
No idea if it's any good, but Trials Frontiers soft-launched in Canada last week:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/trials-frontier/id659283309?mt=8

Caveat: It's F2P and I'm not sure I can deal with a slapped on energy mechanic given the amount of frustration Trials can cause, but hey, free!

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
FIZ Chat:

The easiest way to make money early is the seasonal marketplaces. The Surf Shack (Opens on M6, closes M9)will buy Lager at $25 a bottle. You can brew a single batch for 150+ bottles, sell at a huge profit each year. I try to brew my first Get off my Lawn Lager (The summery one) around M3 to have it in reserve for when M6 rolls around, then brew a second batch as soon as the first is done. It will sell out at Average price in under a month, usually. I was making 3k per batch each summer, which is nothing to sneeze at when you're pulling 200-300 in profits down per batch at the other marketplaces.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I had some friends over and finally got to try out YDKJ Party.
It's a great game, basically exactly the same as on the 360/PS3/Wii. For some reason the graphics actually look better than on my 360 somehow, even though Airplay should be lower quality by definition. I had friends with a mix of IOS versions and even some with Androids and it all worked fine.

You only get one episode for free. I bought all the other episodes (30) for $10.49.
The other con compared to the console version is that obviously having your phone as a controller for hours on end is a pretty big battery drain. On the plus side you don't have infrared LOS issues like the console controllers do.

Other comments:
-It's a lot easier to have people's names come up now that they can display a keyboard on your phone rather than having people monopolise the TV screen.
-But, there are no Gibberish Questions which I would have assumed they'd include now that they can show you a keyboard.
-It's still only 4 players even though in theory there would be no limit.

Does only one person need to buy the episodes for everyone to play?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I've just recently gotten into the old infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc), and I'm trying to see if there any iOS games that scratch that same itch. I've been trying Warhammer Quest, which is okay, but I'm trying to see if there's anything that's more than just hack & slash. Any recommendations?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

discoukulele posted:

I've just recently gotten into the old infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc), and I'm trying to see if there any iOS games that scratch that same itch. I've been trying Warhammer Quest, which is okay, but I'm trying to see if there's anything that's more than just hack & slash. Any recommendations?
Avadon and the Avernum game(s?) by Spiderweb Software will probably do it, albeit iPad only. There's really long free demos of those games for PC/Mac on Spiderweb's website to help you figure out if they'll do the trick. Avadon 2 is coming soon as well.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
BG2: EE was rejected from iTunes because of some missing IAP related thing. They resubmitted 2 days ago, but it looks like they won't get a pre-xmas release. Fuckkkkk

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

Sock The Great posted:

Does only one person need to buy the episodes for everyone to play?

Yup, it is 2 separate apps actually. 1 person needs the actual game, which is the part you have to buy.
Everyone who wants to play then downloads the free app that you use to buzz in and answer. I have the questions app on my ipad, then buzz in on my phone with everyone else.
It's pretty well done, I would definitely recommend it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

BG2: EE was rejected from iTunes because of some missing IAP related thing. They resubmitted 2 days ago, but it looks like they won't get a pre-xmas release. Fuckkkkk

Any word on how they will handle character transfer?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TraderStav posted:

My guess is that the character transfer bonuses will be an IAP, and no character transfer. Or maybe character transfer ability included in the IAP. Which is what caused the delay maybe?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TraderStav posted:

Kenny Logins posted:

My guess is that the character transfer bonuses will be an IAP, and no character transfer. Or maybe character transfer ability included in the IAP. Which is what caused the delay maybe?

If properly structured, apps from the same company are capable of accessing each others' data.

edit:

Shwqa posted:

You can only manually save after fights, but there is an auto-save that happens after every action. So you can close and the game and replay where you left off. But you can't really save scum every action.
Specifically, it's one of those auto-save type things you might have seen in other games, where it deletes the mid-fight save once you load it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PFlats posted:

If properly structured, apps from the same company are capable of accessing each others' data.

edit:

Specifically, it's one of those auto-save type things you might have seen in other games, where it deletes the mid-fight save once you load it.
As far as I'm concerned, it could be IAP and it wouldn't bother me. I played BG1 to death back in the day, but never really got into 2, so the first port to iOS didn't matter where the second will be quite welcome. In fact, if it drove the price of the main app down by a buck or two to have the feature as IAP I'm for it.

Not that I'd ever be able to tell that affected the pricing decision, unless they came out and admitted it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That would be both insane if they were to try and make character importing an iAP, and it would also be trivially bypassed by the modding community if they tried to do so.

I'm more inclined to believe that BG2 isn't out yet because Beamdog is fairly incompetent in terms of pushing out updates, especially when you consider that the bulk of the work done to fix bugs was done by the community years before the iPad even existed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobfather posted:

That would be both insane if they were to try and make character importing an iAP, and it would also be trivially bypassed by the modding community if they tried to do so.
Fair enough. It's just a non-issue to me. It would be a dick move and all, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened.

Kind of like when iOS Deus Ex had that hilarious anti-piracy by way of anti-jailbreak "feature". It didn't affect me and therefore I didn't really see it as anything but kind of hilarious but I could see how people were upset by it.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
BG 1 EE is on sale right now - how high quality is the port? I've sunk hundreds of hours into BG2 on the PC, but for some reason never played BG1.

Are the touch controls solid? Will I scream in frustration? Early reviews indicate bugs, but I assume they've ironed them out by now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
BG 1 is fine.

The recent 1.2 update was supposed to fix a bunch of bugs, but I recall in the previous update one of the very first quests you could take in Candlekeep was broken and needed a community fix to make it work.

If you can overlook that Beamdog are slow to integrate fixes and are even slower to push updates to the App Store, BG1 was a pretty satisfying port.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So is Space Hulk worth getting to play over Christmas? I heard that the £7 pricetag only gets you two missions and then it's another £7 to unlock more? Or was that just a wild exaggeration?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

PFlats posted:

As far as I know (as a developer), this only works for data stored in the keychain. Storing BG characters in the keychain seems a little like abuse of the feature.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Froist posted:

As far as I know (as a developer), this only works for data stored in the keychain. Storing BG characters in the keychain seems a little like abuse of the feature.

I don't know about the keychain stuff, but this can easily be done with iCloud, and it's even one of the intended purposes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tomb Raider 1 chat:

Surprisingly playable with touch controls. Pretty much every complaint about the control scheme is a straight-up lift from the original, like the fact Lara handles like a barge.

I did however lose loads of progress when I died looking for a blue diamond.

It uses a quick-save you hit in the menu :negative:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's the best game that's like Mario Kart on the iPad?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
While searching around for some deals saw this guy, it's the $40 for $50 iTunes Gift Card Deal! Didn't see one posted lately... so have at you!

http://bit.ly/1hzCUbn

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

monkeytennis posted:

Cheers for the Fiz tips, not sure if I have the patience for it tbh! Going to take a looong time to make 10000 profit at the Slim Margin!

I focused on lager improving equipment quality and eventually recipes. The summer shack is a godsend since it's a lager powerhouse. I'll make lager all year, stash 2 batches in storage with one coming online for summer then pump all three at ~$19 and watch it fly off the shelves. Got 3x $1k profit batches last year mostly get off my lawn lager.

Does anyone know how recipe quality improves? I've noticed first batch tends to have lower qual that then improves. Also what's the best way to upgrade batch time after buying all the equipment for the garage, I'm hitting a production ceiling and the game isn't indicating how to break through just offering other beers and other markets.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

What's the best game that's like Mario Kart on the iPad?

I had so hoped that Angry Birds Go would be the answer to this but, sadly, it doesn't have multiplayer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I had so hoped that Angry Birds Go would be the answer to this but, sadly, it doesn't have multiplayer.

It's mostly for my kid so single player is fine!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Smarms posted:

FIZ Chat:

The easiest way to make money early is the seasonal marketplaces. The Surf Shack (Opens on M6, closes M9)will buy Lager at $25 a bottle. You can brew a single batch for 150+ bottles, sell at a huge profit each year. I try to brew my first Get off my Lawn Lager (The summery one) around M3 to have it in reserve for when M6 rolls around, then brew a second batch as soon as the first is done. It will sell out at Average price in under a month, usually. I was making 3k per batch each summer, which is nothing to sneeze at when you're pulling 200-300 in profits down per batch at the other marketplaces.

You beauty. Made £15000 in no time thanks to this and the effort post last page! Cheers guys!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

omg chael crash posted:

That mission worked fine on my 5s

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TraderStav posted:

It's mostly for my kid so single player is fine!
Crash bandicoot racing was a very early release for iOS. It plays a lot better than the angry birds thing.

e: Crash Kart Nitro 2. The original doesn't work on ios7

Khablam fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Shrek cart racing has Bluetooth and wifi multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't looking like crash kart is available on the store.

• Locked thread