Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hoopy Frood posted:

I guess this might have been covered here quite a bit, but I hope someone doesn't mind explaining it again. I've come back to the forums after a fairly lengthy absence and, uh...what the hell has happened to GBS?

John Lennon gets shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Hoopy Frood posted:

I guess this might have been covered here quite a bit, but I hope someone doesn't mind explaining it again. I've come back to the forums after a fairly lengthy absence and, uh...what the hell has happened to GBS?

Mods got sick of enforcing rules. We traded "A Place Where Everyone Acts Like Reasonable Adults" for "weird twiiiter."

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Gravity Pike posted:

Mods got sick of enforcing rules. We traded "A Place Where Everyone Acts Like Reasonable Adults" for "weird twiiiter."

But don't you see? My freedom to call women dumb bitches was being taken away by the social justice warriors! Now all is right in the world.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hoopy Frood posted:

GBS was D&D lite with more news articles, now it's a different thing.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I'm 85 kg, male, 6'1", reasonably healthy. I'm going to be drinking to the point of quite severe drunkenness tonight, but need to drive home tomorrow at around 4 PM. Will likely finish drinking at 2 AM. Is that a safe enough interval to drive or will I need to adjust my plans?

Additional stuff:
Legal BAC here is 0.05
Will be drinking roughly a bottle and a half of white wine, a couple ciders

Edit: I did Google stuff, but the answers are extremely vague, and are primarily just "don't drink and drive"

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
http://www.drinkwise.org.au/you-alcohol/alcohol-facts/drink-driving/

quote:

To keep under the 0.05 BAC limit, males can drink no more than two (2) standard alcoholic drinks in the first hour (10gm of alcohol in each) followed by one (1) standard alcoholic drink every hour after that. However, females can drink no more than one (1) standard alcoholic drink every hour.
It has a description of what a standard drink is, as well. That said, you will need to take into account that the roads are busier this time of year, and you are likely to be not as well rested as you would normally be. Assuming the bottle and a half of white wine and 2 ciders are drunk by you, thats (approx) 12.6 standard drinks to be burnt off over 14 hours. Fairly borderline.

Skanky Burns fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 23, 2013

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

Skanky Burns posted:

http://www.drinkwise.org.au/you-alcohol/alcohol-facts/drink-driving/

It has a description of what a standard drink is, as well. That said, you will need to take into account that the roads are busier this time of year, and you are likely to be not as well rested as you would normally be. Assuming the bottle and a half of white wine and 2 ciders are drunk by you, thats (approx) 12.6 standard drinks to be burnt off over 14 hours. Fairly borderline.

I'm a pretty seasoned drinker, so I should be okay. Thank you, though!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How warm can a laptop power brick get before I should be concerned about it?

Yes I am!
Nov 7, 2009
What is up with GBS in the last few months? It's like moderators have given up?

Also what happened to these threads?

i) MS Paint threads
ii) Photoshop Fridays

Seems to have been put on the ban list a few years back.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

How warm can a laptop power brick get before I should be concerned about it?

Are you concerned about starting a fire by accident, burning yourself, or having a small child burn themselves? Or are you worried about frying the laptop itself?

In my experience, my wife's laptop has a huge power brick and I'd say that it gets fairly hot to the touch, but you'd probably have to be holding it fairly tightly/sitting on it unaware for it to burn you badly. Same deal with a kid, as long as they have a working autonomous reaction system, they should be OK.

As far as starting a fire goes, assuming the cords are all still covered in their protective sheathing, it would have to get somewhere over 400 degrees before it would set your carpet, couch, clothes, wood floor, table, etc. on fire. I imagine it would be pretty hard to find a consumer electronic device that got that hot during normal operation.

If you are worried about the laptop itself, keep the brick off and away from the exhaust ports and you should be fine.

That of course is assuming it's functioning within normal parameters. I'd say that if you start smelling melting plastic when you run your laptop, you may want to have it looked at, but otherwise, you're probably ok.

EDIT:

Yes I am! posted:

What is up with GBS in the last few months? It's like moderators have given up?

Seriously, dude? Top of the loving page. RTFT

quote:

Also what happened to these threads?

i) MS Paint threads
ii) Photoshop Fridays

No good Paint threads have popped up recently, but there's no ban against them specifically. As for PF threads, we've got the WAR ON CHRISTMAS stickied in GBS, Photoshop Two Things was there last week, and the amazing Star Wars/9-11 thread was in GBS for about two weeks. They're all in GBS still

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 23, 2013

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

He specifically asked me to get him one about the baroque period.

Well then!

Sorry for the delay, I've been in concerts pretty much nonstop. Here are some good options, depending on what speaks to you more:

This is borderline textbook and not really something to sit down and read cover-to-cover, but it's a pretty exhaustive source on Baroque composers. http://www.amazon.com/Companion-Baroque-Music-Julie-Sadie/dp/0520214145

And interesting read but much more specific, this contrasts the poor reception of Bach's cello suites to the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Casals' recordings of the same suites two centuries later. http://www.amazon.com/Cello-Suites-Casals-Baroque-Masterpiece/dp/0802145248

Again focusing on Bach, this is more of a guide to performing Baroque music, particularly piano works. http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Baroque-European-Materials-Classical/dp/0945193769

This extends beyond the Baroque period, but covers a lot of interesting information that isn't often covered in music history classes. http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Orchestra-History-Institution-1650-1815/dp/0195189558

Hope that helps!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can someone remind me how to search for a specific forum member's posts? The user I sent a gift to for SASSmas seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and I wanted to see if he's posted elsewhere.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Nessa posted:

Has anyone worked with printable shrinks dink paper before? I'm trying to make some charms for a friend of mine and the black ink turns completely green. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I've never heard of the printable kind, but the regular shrinky dink paper is great with colored pencils.

Also I don't know if the printer kind is different, but they're really not that durable. You can snap them pretty easily. So, it's not really good to use one as a charm on a keychain or something that will get thrown around a lot. They're fun for magnets, though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

Can someone remind me how to search for a specific forum member's posts? The user I sent a gift to for SASSmas seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and I wanted to see if he's posted elsewhere.

I have a "Post History" button below each users post that does exactly this but it might be a forums upgrade. You can also message a mod who is part of SASSmas or post in the SASSmas thread about it.

If you just want to dig up post history, grab their user ID by viewing their profile and it will be the &userid=___ in the url. Then copy the userid into the ___ in the url below. Again not sure if this is a forums upgrade feature or not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=___

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Manslaughter posted:

I have a "Post History" button below each users post that does exactly this but it might be a forums upgrade. You can also message a mod who is part of SASSmas or post in the SASSmas thread about it.

If you just want to dig up post history, grab their user ID by viewing their profile and it will be the &userid=___ in the url. Then copy the userid into the ___ in the url below. Again not sure if this is a forums upgrade feature or not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=___

It was the latter method I wanted, with the forums ID. Thanks a lot for your help.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manslaughter posted:

Again not sure if this is a forums upgrade feature or not.
Search is part of the Platinum package, which you can see Manslaughter has because he/she has a "message" button below their post. Without platinum you can't see someone's post history, because it piggybacks on search.

Anyway, another, not in any way more convenient method is going to the forums index, clicking the Search The Forums link and on the screen you get, you have a username filter. You can then search for something that is likely to show up in a post, like a space.

This could be useful if you can remember someone's handle but have no clue where to find a post from this person to link you to their profile to extract their userid.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

Are you concerned about starting a fire by accident, burning yourself, or having a small child burn themselves? Or are you worried about frying the laptop itself?

In my experience, my wife's laptop has a huge power brick and I'd say that it gets fairly hot to the touch, but you'd probably have to be holding it fairly tightly/sitting on it unaware for it to burn you badly. Same deal with a kid, as long as they have a working autonomous reaction system, they should be OK.

As far as starting a fire goes, assuming the cords are all still covered in their protective sheathing, it would have to get somewhere over 400 degrees before it would set your carpet, couch, clothes, wood floor, table, etc. on fire. I imagine it would be pretty hard to find a consumer electronic device that got that hot during normal operation.

If you are worried about the laptop itself, keep the brick off and away from the exhaust ports and you should be fine.

That of course is assuming it's functioning within normal parameters. I'd say that if you start smelling melting plastic when you run your laptop, you may want to have it looked at, but otherwise, you're probably ok.

Thanks for the information. My mother-in-law unplugged it last night because she thought it was getting quite warm (she does IT stuff at the local community college, so she's not a tech dummy), but I haven't noticed it getting all that hot today (and she's said it isn't nearly as hot as it was last night), so who knows. Would this be something that Linux could cause? That's what OS I left my computer running last night.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

razz posted:

I've never heard of the printable kind, but the regular shrinky dink paper is great with colored pencils.

Also I don't know if the printer kind is different, but they're really not that durable. You can snap them pretty easily. So, it's not really good to use one as a charm on a keychain or something that will get thrown around a lot. They're fun for magnets, though.

I can't exactly recreate these drawings with coloured pencils. I've made them before, and they tend to come out a little yellowish, but never with the black lines completely turning green. I don't want to gently caress up another batch because this paper is expensive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought my house about 2 years ago and it has a security alarm system that we never activated. I'm looking to replace it with something DIY and there's a large metal enclosure box in the closet securing all the wiring and electrical. Only problem is I never received the keys to this box.

Is there any way into this box short of either picking the lock or drilling out the lock? It's a standard cabinet lock from what I can tell. I've been able to defeat some similar locks with trial and error but this one isn't budging.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I work with lockable panels and the standard response is to drill the lock and install a new one. You can try to jimmy it but you risk damaging the enclosure or the door

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Why is it that the NFL season is so short?

Compared to many other sports it seems that they hardly play any games. Even other hard contact sports like Rugby League and Rugby Union in Australia play at least about 10 more games a season so I don't see why it would be for healthy/injury reasons.

It just seems odd to me when you think at how much money is involved in the NFL and its pretty much the biggest sport.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
A few years ago there was a new contract being negotiated between the league and player's union and that was something the league was pushing for, adding 2 or 3 games. The player's union was against it due to player safety and it didn't end up happening. And nowadays there has been a lot of press (and lawsuits) about player safety and concussions and things like retired players committing suicide after head injuries and getting early onset dementia etc. so the environment is not right for the season to be lengthened any time soon.

Another reason to not add games is tradition since all the records are tied to 16 game seasons and adding more games would screw up the records.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I see other questions on why GBS 2.1 is such poo poo, for reasons. Is there any actual difference between GBS 2.1 and FYAD? And what can we do to stop this?

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

What film is this from?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Synonymous posted:

What film is this from?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=well+i+say+we+get+drunk+because+i%27m+all+out+of+ideas&l=1 :mad:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fists Up posted:

Why is it that the NFL season is so short?

Compared to many other sports it seems that they hardly play any games. Even other hard contact sports like Rugby League and Rugby Union in Australia play at least about 10 more games a season so I don't see why it would be for healthy/injury reasons.

It just seems odd to me when you think at how much money is involved in the NFL and its pretty much the biggest sport.

You can't really compare other sports to football, contact or injury-wise. In few other sports do you have 250+ lb men with track athlete speed running literally as fast as they can into each other -- plays in rugby or gaelic football, such that they are, are usually moving at a more steady pace without the high bursts of speed from a receiver running at full speed catching a ball in the open field and then being levelled by a safety who has had a 10 yard running start on him from the exact opposite direction. There are far more concussions and severe knee injuries in football than any other sport, despite (or perhaps because of) the armor they wear.

Indeed, helmets and thick shoulder pads would alter the fundamentals of rugby — especially the tackling part, which has less to do with knocking an opponent to the ground, more to do with wrapping him up and keeping him there.

"It's a more precise skill, rather than just the car wreck effect that you see on the gridiron, and that's the thing that keeps the game pretty safe for us," O'Sullivan said.

Rugby players are taught to never use their head in making the tackle, and without a helmet to protect them, the logic is pretty clear. Any player leading with the head is almost certain to get hurt as badly as the person he's trying to hit.

Meanwhile, ballcarriers in rugby — a game with continuous play and no forward passes — are also taught that it's better to go down easily so they can more effectively work the ball back to a teammate and keep play moving.

This is not the way of the NFL, and suddenly, the league finds itself in the midst of a safety crisis.

http://topnews360.tmcnet.com/topics/associated-press/articles/2010/10/26/111697-football-without-helmets-elsewhere-its-rugby.htm

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 24, 2013

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

You're not my dad

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

You can't really compare other sports to football, contact or injury-wise. In few other sports do you have 250+ lb men with track athlete speed running literally as fast as they can into each other -- plays in rugby or gaelic football, such that they are, are usually moving at a more steady pace without the high bursts of speed from a receiver running at full speed catching a ball in the open field and then being levelled by a safety who has had a 10 yard running start on him from the exact opposite direction. There are far more concussions and severe knee injuries in football than any other sport, despite (or perhaps because of) the armor they wear.

Football Exceptionalism.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm following a couple of Mormon missionaries for a documentary and I managed to be invited for their Christmas dinner tomorrow. What kind of gift should I bring?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Not alcohol! (Kidding, kidding.) Do you have a sense for how well fed they are? Depending on the area, they may either be very well taken care of by local members of the church (both through hosted dinners and donated food), or they may be living on canned food. Either way, some really nice packaged snacks would make their day--but if they're not well fed and they have a fridge, some fresh vegetables, eggs, and cheese would be a lovely gesture.

Also, if one or both of them are from Utah (and if you're in the US), they might like a bottle of caffeine-free root beer. Seriously.

Edit: I'd be very interested in seeing your documentary when it's done. Shoot me a PM.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fragrag posted:

I'm following a couple of Mormon missionaries for a documentary and I managed to be invited for their Christmas dinner tomorrow. What kind of gift should I bring?

Flowers are always a nice gift for the hostess if it's a pretty traditional family. Either that or bring some kind of small food you really like so you can share something with this family that's obviously sharing a lot with you.

Totally unrelated: are shrink rays in any way scientifically feasible? I was wondering about this on my way into work today.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

sleepingbuddha posted:

I see other questions on why GBS 2.1 is such poo poo, for reasons. Is there any actual difference between GBS 2.1 and FYAD? And what can we do to stop this?

Make fun of the bad posts and make good posts. Don't count on everyone else to entertain you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kedo posted:

Totally unrelated: are shrink rays in any way scientifically feasible? I was wondering about this on my way into work today.

On the one hand, there is a massive amount of empty space within atoms and between molecules. On the other hand, the reason for this empty space is due to fundamental laws of nature, electromagnetism. In order to overcome this, you must use a lot of energy. For instance, black holes overcome it due to their immense gravitational field, and so matter can be compressed to a small fraction of their original size. But if that gravity suddenly vanished, those particles would spring apart again. So you'd need to supply a continual source of energy to maintain the compression. Further, the molecules don't wouldn't maintain their integrity in such a scenario, which I assume isn't what you have in mind; you want to be able to shrink a cat down until it's 3 inches long, not turn it into a 3 inch ball of a slurry of fundamental particles.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

kedo posted:

Regulargonzalez touched on this, but the short answer; no. Not even close.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Namarrgon posted:

Regulargonzalez touched on this, but the short answer; no. Not even close.

Well, hold on there. "Scientifically feasible" covers everything we could possibly do, even in the far flung future. For biological organisms, the important part is maintaining internal equilibrium and neural functions. Imagine a device that actually could "understand" what it was pointed at, deconstruct it at an atomic level, and reconstitute a miniature facsimile that behaved in every way like the original, but that was smaller physically, having discarding the extra material. Inorganic materials are even easier in such a scenario.

3D print-a-cat: it could happen!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Is there a set list of which states (banks) get coins from which mint? Obviously states like California are more likely to get coins from Denver, whereas Florida would get their coins from Philadelphia. But what about states in between, like Illinois? Do they get a mix, or is it totally random for banks in all states?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

baquerd posted:

Well, hold on there. "Scientifically feasible" covers everything we could possibly do, even in the far flung future. For biological organisms, the important part is maintaining internal equilibrium and neural functions. Imagine a device that actually could "understand" what it was pointed at, deconstruct it at an atomic level, and reconstitute a miniature facsimile that behaved in every way like the original, but that was smaller physically, having discarding the extra material. Inorganic materials are even easier in such a scenario.

See I was thinking along these same lines, but if you discard extra material you're not actually making a smaller version of the original – you're making a physically lesser version of the original. I mean think if you were making a half-sized human, and you took out half of the atoms that made up their brain. Wouldn't there be a corresponding drop in the brain's processing power?

Deep stuff, guys. But this is all depressing news to me because it's convinced me there's no way I'll ever be able to be an innerspace explorer like I'd hoped.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

baquerd posted:

Have to agree with kedo. Besides, even if this worked, I'd argue that shrinking is not the same as hyperefficiency (essentially what you describe).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Douche4Sale posted:

Is there a set list of which states (banks) get coins from which mint? Obviously states like California are more likely to get coins from Denver, whereas Florida would get their coins from Philadelphia. But what about states in between, like Illinois? Do they get a mix, or is it totally random for banks in all states?

The mint doesn't ship to banks. Banks order cash and coin from the Fed. Most of the money the Fed ships out is mixed and circulated. For coin, this is vastly more the case, since coins last so long. And the fed doesn't roll coin, either, they send it out in bags, so there's no way to determine a Fed roll (new or circulated) from roll that came from coin deposits. Every roll I've ever seen is mixed.

If you like, I can try to find out more after Xmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

The mint doesn't ship to banks. Banks order cash and coin from the Fed. Most of the money the Fed ships out is mixed and circulated. For coin, this is vastly more the case, since coins last so long. And the fed doesn't roll coin, either, they send it out in bags, so there's no way to determine a Fed roll (new or circulated) from roll that came from coin deposits. Every roll I've ever seen is mixed.

If you like, I can try to find out more after Xmas.

Wait, they just send sacks of quarters? That's hilarious.