Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Heya goons, so my girlfriend is going to buffalo for the winter holidays and we were hoping, what with the winter sale on steam, that there'd be a good game we could play together over the internet. We both have windows computers and would like to have something other than 100+ hour long games. So no terraria/starbound/BG:EE If it was cheap and on the steam sale that'd be fabulous too. FPS, RPG, light worms-esque stuff that's all, but maybe not RTSes.

Also, optionally, if it could run on 2010 integrated graphics that'd be great too. She has a super ~gaming desktop rig~ that can run just about everything at home in buffalo, and I've a 750m, but her laptop's a piece of poo poo so something that can run on 2009~ integrated graphics would be dope too.

Sorry for the laundry list, just hoping any of y'all had some easy, fun, multiplayer game recommendations that don't take a huge time investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The older LEGO games (anything pre-LOTR/Batman 2) should be okay on integrated graphics. They're not huge system pushers (LOTR and Lego Marvel could be optimized better than they are.)

The Torchlight games (get the second it's far better) have a netbook mode for very limited setups. They're about 16-20 hours long though.

EDIT: How could I forget Monaco? It's even 80% off today. Get Monaco. It should be fine on older graphics cards.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 20, 2013

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Heya goons, so my girlfriend is going to buffalo for the winter holidays and we were hoping, what with the winter sale on steam, that there'd be a good game we could play together over the internet. We both have windows computers and would like to have something other than 100+ hour long games. So no terraria/starbound/BG:EE If it was cheap and on the steam sale that'd be fabulous too. FPS, RPG, light worms-esque stuff that's all, but maybe not RTSes.

Also, optionally, if it could run on 2010 integrated graphics that'd be great too. She has a super ~gaming desktop rig~ that can run just about everything at home in buffalo, and I've a 750m, but her laptop's a piece of poo poo so something that can run on 2009~ integrated graphics would be dope too.

Sorry for the laundry list, just hoping any of y'all had some easy, fun, multiplayer game recommendations that don't take a huge time investment.

Fiancée and I have been playing Torchlight II a lot the last little bit. Should run fine on integrated but we both have custom builts with good video cards so don't hold me to that.

We also just picked up Monaco which is usually reviewed as a great co-op. It's on steam sale for $3 right now so could be what you're looking for. It's an indie title that should run fine on integrated.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in games where you start out with nothing or very little and gradually become powerful, wealthy, or influential. It's the power curve I'm interested in: games that have done a good job of reflecting this progression range from Quest for Glory(espicially IV), Saints Row 2, The Sims, and the Baldur's Gate series.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm interested in games where you start out with nothing or very little and gradually become powerful, wealthy, or influential. It's the power curve I'm interested in: games that have done a good job of reflecting this progression range from Quest for Glory(espicially IV), Saints Row 2, The Sims, and the Baldur's Gate series.

I feel like the Prototype games do a good job of this.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Cookie Clicker :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Chinook posted:

I feel like the Prototype games do a good job of this.
I'd actually argue that its the opposite when it comes to the first game. You actually get weaker as the game goes on because enemies become meat walls and you can die really quickly. Never played the second.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I know I'm like a broken record sometimes, but Morrowind. Unlike Oblivion or Skyrim, it has minimal level-scaling. The game is balanced around beating it between level 10-20, but it's trivial to get to level 50, and with any leveling mod that uncaps things you can become an unstoppable god. That's not counting the myriad of ways that you can break the game over your knee.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I know I'm like a broken record sometimes, but Morrowind. Unlike Oblivion or Skyrim, it has minimal level-scaling. The game is balanced around beating it between level 10-20, but it's trivial to get to level 50, and with any leveling mod that uncaps things you can become an unstoppable god. That's not counting the myriad of ways that you can break the game over your knee.

I've played and love Morrowind(and at least like the other TES games) but the gameworlds are terribly static.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
It might not be to your liking, but The Guild 2 is pretty good at that. You start as a bandit, thief, blacksmith, tailor, etc who just settled in a city.

A blacksmith for instance starts doing some lowly trading and manufacturing, but later into the game he might find himself a magistrate (a judge, if you will) who runs everywhere with six bodyguards armed in the best steelwork this side of the country, kidnapping and assassinating his political enemies and bending everyone to his will.

Thieves and bandits don't offer as much in terms of going from nothing to everything, but you do eventually seize a large following and can pursue a political career or simply influence politics through brute force or subtletly, making friends of magistrates, eliminating witnesses of your crimes and so on.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Liberatore posted:

It might not be to your liking, but The Guild 2 is pretty good at that. You start as a bandit, thief, blacksmith, tailor, etc who just settled in a city.

I've only played The Guild 2, which is mired with rough edges that drag down its unique gameplay. Though I haven't tried it myself, I'm told the first Guild is actually a better overall experience.

My recommendation for rags-to-riches is Crusader Kings 2. Don't let that large strategic map of Europe fool you; CK2 is thoroughly a character-driven RPG. You're not playing a country, you're playing a feudal lord, dealing with the vast and complex social network of medieval Europe as you try to keep your family in power. The progress curve in CK2 is not linear. You're not guaranteed to go from count to king; it takes planning, patience and luck, and even with all three you're still going to get boom-and-bust cycles in your multi-generational reign. Best part, CK2 is still actively played on these forums, so you'll have plenty of people to ask questions and discuss strategy.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

Both Saints Row 3 and 4 start you at the bottom and have you build back up. If you enjoyed 2, no reason you wouldn't enjoy these as well.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I suggest Fallout: New Vegas, you start as a naked man with a lovely pistol and end up as a huge man in power armor with a gun that shoots nuclear warheads

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm looking for some new XBox 360 or Wii games. I haven't played a whole lot of games from the last generation. Of the ones I've played, Red Dead Redemption, GTAV, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy 1, and Mario Galaxy 2 are among my favorite games ever. I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing that I could be adding to that list.

I like incredibly atmospheric games that give new unique experiences. (Ex. Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime when it came out)
Story driving JRPGs that are not too generic (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF7, FFX) Opposite of this would be the "Tales Of" games.
Survival Horror (Every single older RE > RE4 for me)
Challenging games. (Battletoads, F-Zero GX, Contra 4)
Games with outstanding music (Donkey Kong Country 2, Mario Galaxy, Castlevania SOTN)
2D platformers.

I generally don't like games that are pure action unless they're really challenging, really atmospheric, or a 2D platformer. The only FPS I've ever liked was Metroid Prime but it's a game that's in my top ten because of the focus on atmosphere rather than mindless shooting. I played a Call of Duty for a few hours and it was the most boring gaming experience I can remember. I want the opposite of that.

Have there been any good Survival Horror games recently? Dead Space was pretty good but repetitive and story was not interesting - it's far from Silent Hill 2 or Eternal Darkness caliber. Anything better?

How are New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Returns?

Dead Souls is on the top of my to-get list.

Just for reference, games of the last generation that I played and didn't like: FF13, RE5, RE6, Zelda: Twilight Princess (too much hand holding, too little exploration, too much of a rehash, too much bad story), GTA4, Fable 2 (you can't die, what is the point? All gameplay parts were a chore because of this), Call of Duty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nier. Just loving play Nier

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'm craving a city-building game. While I've already got Sim City 4 it just didn't grab me for some reason. I'd like a challenge or obstacles to prevent me from building the best city I can. I've looked at stuff like Caesar III, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Pharaoh, and Zeus on GOG but don't know which one would be the best. I've read some stuff about how Zeus is probably the easiest so unless someone knows better that isn't my first choice.

Which one of those would be the best? Or are there any other more recent games I didn't really look into that would be better? I don't have any system requirements since my rig can handle most things pretty well.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm craving a city-building game. While I've already got Sim City 4 it just didn't grab me for some reason. I'd like a challenge or obstacles to prevent me from building the best city I can. I've looked at stuff like Caesar III, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Pharaoh, and Zeus on GOG but don't know which one would be the best. I've read some stuff about how Zeus is probably the easiest so unless someone knows better that isn't my first choice.

Which one of those would be the best? Or are there any other more recent games I didn't really look into that would be better? I don't have any system requirements since my rig can handle most things pretty well.

Pharaoh is a classic that I love dearly, but how much you enjoy it will probably depend a fair amount on how much you can deal with the quirks and foibles of really old games. There are some mechanics, UI elements, etc. that I don't think would pass muster in a modern game.

If you can get past that, though, it has a lot to offer, and in particular has the central obstacles and challenges you're looking for in spades. For example, one of the core concepts of the game is building the epic monuments of Egypt which places a huge drain on your city's resources. It also has a cool farming system where you have to grow and stockpile food on a seasonal basis using the Nile floodplains, which adds an extra element of risk and planning to building your city. Harvests can fail or your population growth can outstrip your food supplies, forcing you to import food (it also has a pretty decent trading system with warehouses and stuff). There are also military/combat aspects to the game but to be honest I never cared for them as much as the more civilian parts.

Also, it's worth noting that Caesar 3, Pharaoh, and Zeus are all by the same studio, Impressions. As I understand it they're all pretty direct sequels to one another in most respects, so Zeus might be your best bet since it's the most recent and presumably most refined.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I played Zeus as a kid and loved it, and I picked it up a while ago from GOG. It's a solid city builder with pleasant sprite graphics and an easy to use GUI. Like the other Impressions games, there's a focus on building up your city, then using its resources to complete larger building projects, like a giant temple or a hall to call a hero to fight for you. Zeus also has a nice military component where the top tier houses (nobles) provide troops you can send off to conquer other cities. They, in turn, can invade you.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

That sounds nice but why did Nier get such poor reviews? 67% at metacritic. 69% at gamerankings.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The gameplay is kinda mediocre and one reviewer infamously got lost in an early quest because he refused to read the map. Oh and most of the side quests actively troll completionists. The crazy doesn't really start til the halfway point and we all know how much reviewers seem to hate actually playing through games :v:. The soundtrack is amazing and it has some of the best characterization I've ever seen in a game.

It also refuses to stick to a particular genre, which led to a lot of reviewers bashing one of the best parts simply because the didn't like how it was presented.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 22, 2013

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Supraluminal posted:

Pharaoh is a classic that I love dearly, but how much you enjoy it will probably depend a fair amount on how much you can deal with the quirks and foibles of really old games. There are some mechanics, UI elements, etc. that I don't think would pass muster in a modern game.

If you can get past that, though, it has a lot to offer, and in particular has the central obstacles and challenges you're looking for in spades. For example, one of the core concepts of the game is building the epic monuments of Egypt which places a huge drain on your city's resources. It also has a cool farming system where you have to grow and stockpile food on a seasonal basis using the Nile floodplains, which adds an extra element of risk and planning to building your city. Harvests can fail or your population growth can outstrip your food supplies, forcing you to import food (it also has a pretty decent trading system with warehouses and stuff). There are also military/combat aspects to the game but to be honest I never cared for them as much as the more civilian parts.

Also, it's worth noting that Caesar 3, Pharaoh, and Zeus are all by the same studio, Impressions. As I understand it they're all pretty direct sequels to one another in most respects, so Zeus might be your best bet since it's the most recent and presumably most refined.

Okay I think I'll give that one a try. How do games like Anno 2070 compare to the Impressions city-builders?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Just want to say thanks again to Tagra for recommending Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It is incredible with a friend, especially if you like dicking each other over throughout the entire game like we do. Every co-op game should have a "blow up your buddy" button.

I've given up on mom games, the brain teaser for me now is what game (on PC, preferably) has the best character customization options, as far as visuals are concerned? I'm wondering what is the best technology can offer us right now when it comes to playing dress-up with a character model.

Also seconding Nier. The music and voice acting are pretty top-notch, if you want some examples, then check out a little bit of The Dark Id's LP of the game. If nothing else, listen to the intro monologue.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yar The Pirate posted:

Okay I think I'll give that one a try. How do games like Anno 2070 compare to the Impressions city-builders?

The Impressions games are basically all the same except with different spritework. They're fun but you should note that they have an awkward system of city building where you always have to keep in mind where your "walkers" are going. Every building sends out a "walker" that checks which nearby houses have access to it. The frustrating part is that walkers randomly choose roads at intersections, which led to absurd CeasarIII cities with one long winding road. Latter iterations introduced the all important roadblock tile, but it's still fiddly as hell. The Impressions series should be seen more of a puzzle/construction hybrid rather than a pure latter.

The Anno games are much better if you care more about managing production chains instead of messing with the road system.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Do any more RPGs have combat like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Mount & Blade and Dark Souls?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

The Royal Scrub posted:

Do any more RPGs have combat like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Mount & Blade and Dark Souls?

Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic comes to mind. If I remember correctly, it's all first person, which may be a turn-off to some.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Royal Scrub posted:

Dragon's Dogma if you have a console.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Have there been any more attempts at games similar to Guild/Guild 2 where you build up a business from scratch (and/or take over a town with political backstabbing funded by the profits)? Patrician is about the closest I've gotten but it's just not quite the same. I tried Capitalism 2 but I couldn't get it windowed and it is so very not designed for modern resolutions...

I already have Anno, Recettear...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

The Impressions games are basically all the same except with different spritework. They're fun but you should note that they have an awkward system of city building where you always have to keep in mind where your "walkers" are going. Every building sends out a "walker" that checks which nearby houses have access to it. The frustrating part is that walkers randomly choose roads at intersections, which led to absurd CeasarIII cities with one long winding road. Latter iterations introduced the all important roadblock tile, but it's still fiddly as hell. The Impressions series should be seen more of a puzzle/construction hybrid rather than a pure latter.

It's probably worth mentioning that Emperor: ROTMK dials down the walker fiddly-ness a bit by introducing gate tiles, which you can use to allow certain types of walkers through but not others. It works a lot better than the roadblocks. Of course Emperor also introduces the silly Feng Shui system which adds extra tedium to the mix, though you can pretty much safely ignore it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Once again I can't help but suggest KOTOR 1 or 2. During the beginning of KOTOR you're pretty weak and things get tough once you reach the planet but once you start leveling up and become a Jedi you get crazy powerful.

The only thing that always bothered me about KOTOR was that you can get crazy powerful but there wasn't much that actually tested the limits of your power.

Ibblified
May 13, 2012
Are there any business/economic/life simulator on the PC? It can be micro or macro level, from focusing on one business to a whole city. I am thinking things like Tropico 4 and Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon (loved them, pretty much the epitome of fun), Sid Meier's Railroad (pretty good), Recettear (played it too much). On the flipside, I didn't enjoy things like Port Royale (didn't really get into it for some reason), The Guild 2 (good idea, but the clunky interface killed my enjoyment) and Game Dev Tycoon (I liked the idea, but hated its execution).

I think I will prefer games with a UI that is actually player-friendly and a decent tutorial so I know what is going on. I am trying Football Manager now, but the complexity and obscure stats isn't making it much fun.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Any good 3+ player co-op games that work on OSX and Windows both? Trying to get some gaming in with some college buds. We've already played Borderlands and both Trines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Geektox posted:

Any good 3+ player co-op games that work on OSX and Windows both? Trying to get some gaming in with some college buds. We've already played Borderlands and both Trines.

Transformers: War For Cybertron has 3-player campaign co-op and is great fun. Fall of Cybertron's campaign is exclusively single-player though, before you ask.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Geektox posted:

Check out Monaco and Hammerwatch, both of those should be OSX and Windows compatible and they're not very graphic intensive either so you should have an easy time running them.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Would you guys reccomend me getting Shadowrun Returns? I have absolutely NO experience with the Shadowrun universe whatsoever. Should I play the previous Shadowrun games before?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

V!ntar posted:

Would you guys reccomend me getting Shadowrun Returns? I have absolutely NO experience with the Shadowrun universe whatsoever. Should I play the previous Shadowrun games before?

You don't need any Shadowrun background to enjoy Shadowrun returns.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
All you need to know about Shadowrun is that it's cyberpunk Earth but also magic and many of the fantasy races exist too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for games with very little gameplay, and is mostly decisions / story. A good example of this is The Walking Dead! It needs to be compelling, and immersive. Do you guys know of any great games like that?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for games with very little gameplay, and is mostly decisions / story. A good example of this is The Walking Dead! It needs to be compelling, and immersive. Do you guys know of any great games like that?

Kentucky Route Zero is probably exactly what you want. Just be warned, only two episodes so far (which are amazing and totally worth the cost) and who knows when the rest will come.

Or Long Live The Queen. Whatever.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wolf Among Us as well, though only the first episode is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

The visual novel thread is over here, but to get the obvious suggestions out of the way, Steins;Gate and Fate/Stay Night. Maybe 999 and Virtue's Last Reward if you have a suitable platform.