Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is using up the power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Shannow posted:

Speaking of Sense, there was an option on my old HTC to share wifi instead of just the data connection, which was incredibly useful and I can't seem to find an app that does the same thing?

The built in USB tethering shares the wifi connection

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Anyone with a Maxx having issues with Play Services/Sync? I haven't been able to use a Google app since 6pm yesterday. They all crash and Play Services crashes behind them. Settings - Accounts - Google says Sync is experiencing problems and will return shortly, and I get authentication notifications too. I spent the better part of the evening in a location with no signal and that's where the Authentication poo poo happened, now that I'm back home I get the crashes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Mu Zeta posted:

What is using up the power?

Phone Idle I believe. I wasn't using it for anything, not even music because it was draining so much.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Anyone who got the soak test survey for the MAXX should slam them for the blue icons and lack of new dialer

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Anyone who got the soak test survey for the MAXX should slam them for the blue icons and lack of new dialer

... and also for bricking phones since that is a non-zero option according to the internet, and its probably delaying my rollout :/

and i forgot my wallet today. I would have loved to have paid using my phone like i live in the future (or tried to, then awkwardly stare at the cashier as it doesnt work and i have no other form of payment.)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

As someone who owns a Nexus 7, no that sucks.

Searches are horrible. You can search for Nexus 7 2013, but then you are just as likely to get information about the previous Nexus 7 with a post that was made in 2013. Similarly, a search for Nexus 7 2012 is likely to miss a ton of stuff since it wasn't called the Nexus 7 2012 when it was released. It's also just as likely to pick up rumor articles about the next Nexus 7 written in 2012.

I have the same frustration with the Droid MAXX. Searching for Droid MAXX gets me results for Droid Razr MAXX and Droid Razr MAXX HD.

For all of samsungs faults, they are doing it mostly right. I can search for SGS3 or SGS4 and get expected results.

Odd, Google distinguishes between those queries just fine for me. If it was as bad as you say, that huge search algorithm overhaul they did in September must have fixed it.

RZA Encryption posted:

Set your standards higher. I know of a certain company that updates all models on the same day, and even the first release isn't buggy.

Said company accomplishes this by iterating through half a dozen beta builds over a 3-4 month period which allows them to pinpoint the most glaring user facing problems and resolve them before transitioning into the final consumer build. 3-4 months is about the same time Google takes to straighten out their end of year releases, the difference being that the consumer isn't insulated from the process. I'm not sure Google could cleanly emulate the former (even though it's superior from a UX standpoint) since Android/AOSP isn't a product, it's an SDK for creating products. Unless sufficiently locked down (which neutralizes a lot of the point of doing it in the first place) any such initiative runs the risk of 3rd party devs killing themselves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh, they finally changed the website of Google Keep to look like the app. Finally.

Why use the site when a Chrome packaged app for Keep exists?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know that when I get the survey, I'm going to indicate that I don't think the update is ready for prime time and shouldn't go out.

Honestly, in my opinion, no update based on 4.4 is ready for prime time, 4.4.2 should be the minimum starting point.

It's certainly not the worst update I've ever received on a device (*cough* 4.2 on all my nexus devices *cough*), but it lacks the level of polish that I've come to expect from motorola updates.

In my case, I'm seeing the same amount of excessive wake locks I saw on my Nexus 7 2013 prior to the eventual update to 4.4.2. Performance and stability has been fine, but battery life is taking a bit of a beating.

On the upside, I think the camera quality has taken the most significant jump yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

teagone posted:

Why use the site when a Chrome packaged app for Keep exists?
Which loads the website in a chromeless window.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Eh, I miss the blue icons on my Nexus 7 tbh. Was nice to know when my sketchy wifi at school was making GBS threads itself when the icons went from blue to grey.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, I miss the blue icons on my Nexus 7 tbh. Was nice to know when my sketchy wifi at school was making GBS threads itself when the icons went from blue to grey.

It wouldn't be bad except most of the other stuff is now white so the blue looks way out of place

edit: at the very least it should be an option like the keyboard has

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola was already doing blue icons on a transparent bar with the Razr HD line, so it's not such a shock to me. I'm kind of mixed on it anyhow; the white does look nicer, but as you say it's nice to know just from looking at the wifi icon if you've got a true net connection.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think its a worst of two worlds kind of deal: translucency clashing blue with none of the old indicator functionality you miss. Unless Verizon actually went out of their way to re-implement that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

I think its a worst of two worlds kind of deal: translucency clashing blue with none of the old indicator functionality you miss. Unless Verizon actually went out of their way to re-implement that.

The indicator functionality is intact. Blue only turns blue when it can connect to google services.

What's odd is there's absolutely backported code from 4.4.1 in there. The lock screen has the transparent notification area like the Nexus 7 and that only showed up in 4.4.1. But they didn't include that in the actual launcher (much like the N7.)

Another thing that's bad UI wise is the mobile data indicator in the pull down quick settings page is much larger than it used to be, but the assets aren't sufficiently high enough DPI. So, the end result is a blurry icon.

My biggest issue remains that I'm having a horrible amount of wake locks (which I experienced in 4.4 on my N7 as well.)

I doubt the update is going to go out anytime soon to the general public due to the number of phones it apparently bricked, but I'm hoping whatever revised update is more than just a fix for the update process and irons out some of this small things.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 23, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In any case it's against the stated rules of the Android Compatibility Document (it says vendors must use white icons in 4.4), so there should be zero reason why they're shipping it like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

In any case it's against the stated rules of the Android Compatibility Document (it says vendors must use white icons in 4.4), so there should be zero reason why they're shipping it like that.

Carrier demands trump Android Compatibility Documents sadly. Verizon must have told motorola not to change the look and feel significantly with this update. I know they did so on the X, but that was likely a lower volume phone. Also, support blowback from the UI changes to the X may have prompted Verizon to demand no changes for the Droid lineup as well.

Hopefully this will change in the future.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

kitten smoothie posted:

Wasn't the menu button thing a "must" in the ACD? I thought it was, and obviously everyone BUT Motorola ignored that.

bull3964 posted:

Carrier demands trump Android Compatibility Documents sadly. Verizon must have told motorola not to change the look and feel significantly with this update. I know they did so on the X, but that was likely a lower volume phone. Also, support blowback from the UI changes to the X may have prompted Verizon to demand no changes for the Droid lineup as well.

Hopefully this will change in the future.

It sucks but I can think of at least three people I know who use Android phones and, should they get an update that turns their notification icons a different color, would be on the phone with tech support wanting to know why their phone is "broken". I can't blame Verizon for wanting to circumvent that headache.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2013

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Hey, I just got a Galaxy Note 3 (AT&T) and I can't get it to connect to my computer at all. I've downloaded the Samsung drivers which didn't do anything and I've tried putting it into developer mode with USB debugging but that didn't work either. Am I missing something? I just want to put my music on it...

Edit: Does it have something to do with it being USB 3.0 now?

Reiche fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 23, 2013

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Does anyone get this poo poo when opening the forums from time to time?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rusty! posted:

I've never gotten a page that looks anything like that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
My Nexus 5 drops the mobile connection, reboots and then does it again, usually it just loses mobile connection and says emergency only. It wont reestablish connection until I reboot and then it loses connection again either a few mins or few hours later. It worked great for the first week. The first nexus 5 had the same problem so I RMA'd it and the second one is now doing the same thing. Starts usually after a week of use. I have a third RMA request placed but I think this is a problem with the nexus 5 software/baseband as I have seen other reports of the same issue. Does anyone here have that problem or any idea if google is going to fix it? Its been a problem since the 4.0 release and still occurs with 4.4.2.

See this thread at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2525583

I dont want to load CM and a hacked kernel.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rusty! posted:

This is where you want to take that

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rusty! posted:

No, but you should report it in the area of the forums that handles that stuff. I think somewhere in QCS?

Also, why aren't you using the forums app??

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp&hl=en

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tbqh the Awful Android app is kind of, well, awful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

1st AD posted:

What? It's one of the best apps on my phone. What's wrong with it?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

1st AD posted:

If I were only allowed to install one app on my phone it would be the awful app.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

1st AD posted:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

I'm not sure why anyone would visit the forums on anything BUT the app, but I'm sure there's some "obscure thing "x" I want to do isn't in the app" reason.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Ta muchly. On it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes the app owns on android and iphone.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

1st AD posted:

No, it definitely isn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Some people on Awful were getting that crazy patchwork problem that Sereri can't duplicate. I could see that preventing me from using the app if it happened to me.

As it is though I have no issues at all with Awful that aren't caused by the Nexus 5's screen being too big. The app itself has been perfect for me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Roundboy posted:

and i forgot my wallet today. I would have loved to have paid using my phone like i live in the future (or tried to, then awkwardly stare at the cashier as it doesnt work and i have no other form of payment.)

Its awesome going up to a counter, seeing paypass equipment (new shiny ones) and going to use it to pay only to have the cashier say "that dont work, its not hooked up".

Yet, My paypass app told me you loving took it. And now My wallet is still in the car or at home because I wanted my cash back bonus from using my phone. Thanks guys, way to install stuff and not enable it :(

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Godinster posted:

No, it definitely isn't.

I use multi-window to view the forums both ways at the same time because I'm a true prosumer.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

They get a pass this round since Google only got round to releasing the 4.4 CDD on December 5th alongside KitKat MR1/4.4.1, so until then OEMs were flying blind with just the 4.4 CTS.

Require More Fire posted:

Wasn't the menu button thing a "must" in the ACD?

Nope, left open to the OEM in 4.0-4.3.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
They really need to sort out the low light underexposure thing on the N5 photosphere mode. For reference

Normal Camera

Photosphere camera

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ixian posted:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

I'm not sure why anyone would visit the forums on anything BUT the app, but I'm sure there's some "obscure thing "x" I want to do isn't in the app" reason.

Can't see someone's rap sheet, searching for someone's posts in a thread doesn't seem to work (or is that just me?), and posting a thread. But yeah, for actually reading the forums, Awful owns.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Shannow posted:

They really need to sort out the low light underexposure thing on the N5 photosphere mode. For reference

Normal Camera

Photosphere camera

Where did you take that photo, out of curiosity?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

It sucks but I can think of at least three people I know who use Android phones and, should they get an update that turns their notification icons a different color, would be on the phone with tech support wanting to know why their phone is "broken". I can't blame Verizon for wanting to circumvent that headache.
My sister has an N4. "My phone said it had to update and now everything has gone all white and looks horrible and the dialer is different and I don't know how to use it any more."

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Don't know if anyone has posted this, but the Nexus 5 has issues with DFS channels on 5Ghz WiFi. Had to track down a bug report to figure this out. Setting the band to anything under 52 will work.

• Locked thread