Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Oxford Comma posted:

The loaded gun thing is in response to Ceros saying treat all guns as loaded, followed by another goon typing in ALL CAPS that was wrong and guns are always loaded.

Those of you who had "unloaded" guns pointed at you were around dipshits who didn't follow the other three gun safety rules.

I think you meant to post this in the gun sperg forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I think you meant to post this in the gun sperg forum.

Yes I did. No idea how I quoted it and it wound up in this thread. I think the iOS awful app is being goofy.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey guys, Im graduating in May with a bullshit degree in political science. My job offer I've been banking on since sophomore year is no longer there, along with the company. I will get dick for work without a higher level degree, so I was considering trying to commission in the air force acquisitions or contracting areas, then using the GI Bill or flep to get law school out of the deal, and hopefully get some stacks when I'm out.

I'm in shape, good GPA, and a little desperate. Any of my situation overwhelm the general disdain for military life?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

DeesGrandpa posted:

bullshit degree in political science.

Good luck with that.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Good luck with that.

In my defense it was the quickest degree I could pursue, and was supposed to be getting employee sponsored post grad.

Oh well :sigh:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey guys, Im graduating in May with a bullshit degree in political science. My job offer I've been banking on since sophomore year is no longer there, along with the company. I will get dick for work without a higher level degree, so I was considering trying to commission in the air force acquisitions or contracting areas, then using the GI Bill or flep to get law school out of the deal, and hopefully get some stacks when I'm out.

I'm in shape, good GPA, and a little desperate. Any of my situation overwhelm the general disdain for military life?

Setting aside the fact that USAF OTS is extremely difficult to get into now (we're about to go through another round of RIFs/Force Shaping and looking to cut thousands of officers over the next 5 years), if you somehow manage to get in you won't be able to get acquisitions or contracting in your "contract." The way it works when you apply to OTS is that you apply either as a rated candidate (flyer) or non-rated (everyone else). If you apply and get selected non-rated you put together a dream sheet of jobs at some point in your commissioning program there (someone who went OTS can speak to more details about when in the process that is) and they assign your job taking that into account as well as the needs of the AF (i.e., they use a dart board). So you could want to be an acquisitions officer working at the Pentagon and wind up a Security Forces officer supervising a bunch of alcoholic spouse abusing mentally dysfunctional cops in Minot, North Dakota.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Huh, well gently caress that I guess. I'll wait to get a little more desperate then.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

DeesGrandpa posted:

then using the GI Bill or flep to get law school out of the deal, and hopefully get some stacks when I'm out.

I can't speak to the Air Force side of this, but oh my gently caress don't go to law school. If you go back far enough, you'll see some stupid posts from me where I was contemplating enlisting in the US Navy Reserve as a Cryptologic Technician and after that the Air National Guard. Sucked it up, now I'm going to community college and taking IT classes, scheduling certification tests in the near future while I'm also in the screening/hiring process for a job with Customs and Border Protection. (I'm a GiP success story now :downs:)

I graduated from law school in 2011. Let that sink in. If you still have any "yeah but my mom's friend's kid is making bank" type stuff bubbling to the top of your mind, squash that poo poo and read this thread I wish I had known about in 2007 and 2008 when I made the bad decision to go to law school. The market is lovely, don't bet six figures of debt that you will special snowflake your way into a high-paying job. Hell, most of my good friends from law school are making under $50,000/year and working crazy hours; the smartest one of them (3.6 law school GPA) is now looking for work in the Seattle/Tacoma area because the solo practitioner he was employed by is not getting enough clients and can't afford to pay him the 20 hours/week he was getting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I can't speak to the Air Force side of this, but oh my gently caress don't go to law school. If you go back far enough, you'll see some stupid posts from me where I was contemplating enlisting in the US Navy Reserve as a Cryptologic Technician and after that the Air National Guard. Sucked it up, now I'm going to community college and taking IT classes, scheduling certification tests in the near future while I'm also in the screening/hiring process for a job with Customs and Border Protection. (I'm a GiP success story now :downs:)

I graduated from law school in 2011. Let that sink in. If you still have any "yeah but my mom's friend's kid is making bank" type stuff bubbling to the top of your mind, squash that poo poo and read this thread I wish I had known about in 2007 and 2008 when I made the bad decision to go to law school. The market is lovely, don't bet six figures of debt that you will special snowflake your way into a high-paying job. Hell, most of my good friends from law school are making under $50,000/year and working crazy hours; the smartest one of them (3.6 law school GPA) is now looking for work in the Seattle/Tacoma area because the solo practitioner he was employed by is not getting enough clients and can't afford to pay him the 20 hours/week he was getting.

To add to this, a lawyer acquaintance of mine just got enough of a raise at the firm to stop needing to deliver pizzas at night to make ends meet.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

To add to this, a lawyer acquaintance of mine just got enough of a raise at the firm to stop needing to deliver pizzas at night to make ends meet.

During our last alumni get-together, we were sharing similar stories and someone said "Man, at least they're getting paid, I'm still working for free :eng99:" with no sarcasm or irony in their voice.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Welp I'm gonna go curl up into a ball and cry about my future, then start slinging rock.

Friends don't let friends do liberal arts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acquisitions is cool, I've never felt more alive than when I rammed a contract mod through in a week while dealing with rear end in a top hat civilians taking half days and vacation time with a mission on the line.

It's basically like being a PJ except instead of jumping behind enemy lines to rescue a fallen comrade you're writing a Justification and Approval letter and telling contractors they don't need six high level managers to travel for a readiness review with the clock ticking down.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 31, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Fallom posted:

Acquisitions is cool, I've never felt more alive than when I rammed a contract mod through in a week while dealing with rear end in a top hat civilians taking half days and vacation time with a mission on the line.

Heart jumping through my throat when I sign for the United States of America.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I just looked at the one that had the chill looking middle age dude at a desk not doing much vOv

But hey it sounded like something approaching useful work experience

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Doctor prescribed me some valium for my divorce. I took a couple, but hated them and didn't really need them so I tossed the bottle. I'm considering going back into the guard. Is this a bad idea? I told the recruiter the truth, he just seemed concerned if I could piss clean. Odd. Should I worry?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ZoneManagement posted:

Doctor prescribed me some valium for my divorce. I took a couple, but hated them and didn't really need them so I tossed the bottle. I'm considering going back into the guard. Is this a bad idea? I told the recruiter the truth, he just seemed concerned if I could piss clean. Odd. Should I worry?

Nope. If you have a medical record, there's no worries there. (As far as the drugs. The mental health need for Valium may raise questions, needed or not.)

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
I do have the prescription. I just didn't need them, so I only took a couple. Didn't do much except make me sleepy. I was pretty distraught at the time, still hurting but life moves on. I got prescribed them during my last divorce, too, when I really just needed someone to talk to. It's amazing how when you need someone to just talk to about how you're feeling they want to drug you the gently caress up. I took a couple of those too, and stopped.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ZoneManagement posted:

Yeah you should be worried as gently caress.

Why the gently caress do you want to join the guard when you're so hosed up in the head you had a doc feeding you pills to get through the long lonely nights?

Happiness isn't a loving PT formation, dipshit. Go eat, pray, love. Let some other dumb faggots march, clean, and standby.

Your doctor was onto something with the pills because you clearly have something wrong with your brain. Maybe adding hooah and truck driver school to the list of personal qualities you display in your hometown when you casually drop the "I'm in the guard bomb" isn't as good as the "I'm a grown adult who has his poo poo together. And while I'm at it I have a job and friends and no 23 year old state school english lit almost failure makes me call him Sir on the weekends. And I don't have to coordinate how I walk, dress, eat and talk with a bunch of other grown rear end children." bomb you could drop instead.

Jesus loving christ man. You should have hung onto the pills, because 30 valium and a bottle of scotch is, and always will be, a better option than joining the Army National Guard.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 7, 2014

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Well, gee, I kinda said I didn't need them. Divorce can be rough man, really rough. I certainly don't want (nor did I need) to drop 30 valium and a bottle of scotch.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Wouldn't know, I've only ever had happy and long lasting relationships that have never failed.

Must be you man, you must be the weird one. Way to go at being a huge failure who couldn't make his marriage work.

But your utter failure as a man and a human being to even keep something as simple and easy as a marriage going is proof that you shouldn't re-enlist into the guard. Huge red flag.

Maybe not make some big life decisions for a while and give the valium a chance, champ. You think you're smarter than some drat doctor and his pills but you're so loving stupid you're gonna join the Army Guard again in the midst of a divorce.

C'mon man.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
It's been something I've been wanting to do for a couple of years since I got out. The education benefits can be nice, too. Maybe I'm wrong? I just want something different than what I've been doing. The divorce was kind of sprung on me; I've been planning to go back in for about a year now. But hey, maybe I am crazy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ZoneManagement posted:

Maybe I'm wrong?

Yes.

ZoneManagement posted:

I just want something different than what I've been doing.

You've been getting divorced. Of course you do. Wouldn't anyone?

ZoneManagement posted:

The divorce was kind of sprung on me;

And before you were getting divorced you were married to someone who didn't want to be married to you. Which explains:

ZoneManagement posted:

It's been something I've been wanting to do for a couple of years since I got out.

And

ZoneManagement posted:

I've been planning to go back in for about a year now.

making this:

ZoneManagement posted:

But hey, maybe I am crazy.

Obviously true, but hopefully only situationaly so. Nobody ever got less crazy by joining the Army National Guard because they were in a hosed up marriage that later ended in divorce.

Listen to me, don't listen to me, whatever. But if your not retarded you'll at least be able to acknowledge I'm most likely right.

Bringing us back to:

ZoneManagement posted:

Maybe I'm wrong?

Yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's telling you it's a very bad idea.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

if you do go back make sure you go in as INFINTRY

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Jesus loving christ man. You should have hung onto the pills, because 30 valium and a bottle of scotch is, and always will be, a better option than joining the Army National Guard.

Benzos and alcohol, great combo and a quick trip to accidental suicide.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Benzos and alcohol, great combo and a quick trip to accidental suicide.

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

a better option than joining the Army National Guard.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm no doctor, but if you want to change your life why not just go to Colorado, work at a Chipolte, and smoke weed everyday?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Let's be honest, this is probably where half of us will wind up anyway.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm no doctor, but if you want to change your life why not just go to Colorado, work at a Chipolte, and smoke weed everyday?

This is my plan. Then when I'm 60 I bank out with my loaded TSP.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know about some quota for active duty OCS applicants being met? My recruiter called me and said that recruiting command notified them that active duty OCS has met it's quota for the time being but I can wait for it to open up again. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mustang posted:

Anyone know about some quota for active duty OCS applicants being met? My recruiter called me and said that recruiting command notified them that active duty OCS has met it's quota for the time being but I can wait for it to open up again. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Which branch?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Army, sorry guess I should have mentioned that.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So about 2 years ago, I made a horrible decision and decided to goto grad school. At least it's for a health profession specialty that is in high demand.

I will graduate soon, and am contemplating on making another loving stupid decision; joining the Air Force to do said profession. Here is what I do:

Speech Pathology

I literally skullfuck people I stick long tubes up people's noses, down their throats, and look for crazy poo poo. Also rehab with TBI patients, older individuals who have had strokes, and occasionally dealing with kiddos with Autism (gently caress that part of the job).

Can someone please talk me out of this tell me about what it's like to be part of a branch's medical corps rather than the actual branch itself? Are the medical standards for entry any more relaxed than a typical combat branch? For example, I had childhood Asthma, and a few other medical conditions (tonsils out, vision stuff). Back in 2006 or whatever when I was just out of highschool and the war was going on, I could of probably gotten a waiver for everything. But with the force reduction, definitely not now at least in the normal Army/Airforce/Navy according to the non-medical branch recruiters I've spoken with.

Also, do you have to put up with the same amount of bullshit in the regular Army/Air Force/ whatever? Or is it run like a typical hospital or medical site with the exception that people wear uniforms, your hospital is typically located in some 3rd world shithole, and you deal with mostly trauma patients?

The more I read into it, it seems like the best option is to just go work with the VA rather than deal with any of this bullshit. It apparently pays a fuckton more too. My main motivation for considering this option is to get the gently caress out of the country for a bit and experience the rest of the world while still being able to do this job. Certification standards for this profession vary country to country and can be a pain in the rear end to obtain the required credentials to practice in Britain/Germany/Australia for example compared to America. If I was attached to a US military branch's medical corps, I could potentially get assigned/deployed anywhere, and not have to worry about some country's hosed up licensing board and procedures.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 10, 2014

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
What do you hope to get out if military service that you can't get out if civilian?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Oxford Comma posted:

What do you hope to get out if military service that you can't get out if civilian?

As a medical professional in the US Military, you can give no fucks and be praised after you go to the real world as an amazing doctor who gave it all for your country, while all you did was throw motrin and antibiotics at bitches who fell out of PT.

At least thats how I saw it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What do you call a doctor who graduated last in his class? Captain.

Military doctors have consistently been completely worthless my entire life. When I was a kid dependents actually saw military doctors...I've actually only been to one civilian doctor in my life. The rest were all mil, and all worthless.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Godholio posted:

What do you call a doctor who graduated last in his class? Captain.

Military doctors have consistently been completely worthless my entire life. When I was a kid dependents actually saw military doctors...I've actually only been to one civilian doctor in my life. The rest were all mil, and all worthless.

what do you call a male with a worthless degree and a superiority complex?

Sir!!! :xd:

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
Quick question about the Navy. Is information systems technician a decent rate to try and enlist into and does anyone know if it is overmanned?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They've had pretty good advancement last couple of cycles, I haven't worked with ITs in over a year, so I'm not sure what they actually do anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

They've had pretty good advancement last couple of cycles, I haven't worked with ITs in over a year, so I'm not sure what they actually do anymore.

Mostly just comms or so my IT friend says. He can't quite share a whole lot of his work or so he says.

• Locked thread