Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
having a hell of a time trying to find this elusive Zotac box with an rca output. Any guidance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have you considered just buying him an HDTV.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Have you considered just buying him an HDTV.

Not really. His current TV is pretty big and I know he wont accept anything less. and I actually kinda DID buy him an HDTV in the fact that I used to live there with my fiance and we bought a tv for our bedroom and when we moved out I left it there for him to use in his room. I may just tell him to use it for his bedroom and get him something hdmi enabled, but I know he watches most of his tv in the living room (ie the non hd tv).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Don Lapre posted:

Buy him the cheapest roku and a netflix account.

Hell, you can probably find a Wii on craislist and use that too

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2013

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Does anyone have any experience with getting boblight to work with OpenELEC? I can't find any really solid information outside of Raspberry Pi information, and I'm honestly not sure if it would be applicable on other hardware.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not xbmc related, but I figure this thread would have the largest audience of people who might know:

Which device has decent netflix support as well as decent local storage support ? I'd like to send and receive an SD card or a thumb drive and load it up with movies for my parents to watch.

I have a spare boxee box but it's buggy. I was hoping for something a bit more simple for my retired parents to use.

edit: 1080p support is a must.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If by decent support you mean pretty fanart and metadata plus Netflix well...nothing really. WDTV Live is the only device I've found to do both local playback and Netflix reliably without Plex or other kludgery. I do the same thing for my folks, they muddle through just fine with the Files view and Netflix app. I spent 20 minutes with them teaching them basic navigation and how to pull the power plug if they run into issues. I use one in my fitness room and it gets slow as poo poo every month or two and needs a hard reset is why I mention it. I could never be arsed to do metadata for the WDTV but I'm sure it can be done.

Boxee used to be the ideal choice but its buggy and abandoned.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think at this point there should be something in the OP that says nothing other than a Roku or going to netflix.com will play Netflix easily.

That said, the Roku 3 has a SD slot, has 1080p video, and they can play Netflix easily.
http://www.roku.com/products/compare

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The website mentions the roku only does AAC and MP3 audio formats... Is that including formats wrapped in mkv ? Most of my titles are encoded in DTS

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a post in this thread awhile back, maybe in the summer, with a link to a forum post on how to set up MusicBrainz Picard to strip id3 tags from songs. Anyone able to dig up that post ? Im having a hell of a time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I think at this point there should be something in the OP that says nothing other than a Roku or going to netflix.com will play Netflix easily.

That said, the Roku 3 has a SD slot, has 1080p video, and they can play Netflix easily.
http://www.roku.com/products/compare

This has been in there since the beginning. I can alter it if it doesn't cover enough:

quote:

Can I get Netflix working via XBMC?
Yes, but you don't really want to. On Windows 7, it requires Silverlight and doesn't function very well. On Windows 8, you can launch the official app but controlling it with a remote will require some work on your part. I don't believe it's supported at all on Linux or OpenELEC. Most people in this thread will tell you to buy a $40 Roku if Netflix is the most important way to stream videos to you, or to use any of the gazillion devices that have Netflix support.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now I am the one who doesn't check the OP. :emo:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've really tried to like XBMC on my PC because it's the nicest looking of any media player I've seen, but it's so broken. It constantly deletes titles from my library and straight up won't read some things in my Movies folder, even if it will open them from file explorer. Not to mention the hours of struggle spent just trying to get it to recognize TV shows in vain. Advanced launcher never seemed to figure out how to open files through an emulator. I mean, it's nice because it's a lot easier to set up subtitles and audio while you're watching, but it doesn't save settings for each individual movie, ensuring a hassle every time I watch anything. It might be the least intuitive software I've ever seen. The most basic, take for granted poo poo you can think of is completely convoluted in ways that just make me shake my head. Glad some of you guys like it, but I literally can not understand how to use it in a way that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time. I think I'm just gonna uninstall it. Anyone have any suggestions for something more user friendly?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've never seen XBMC remove library titles unless the media is on a removable drive that's not plugged it in and you run the "clean library" function. Maybe something weird with the way your media is stored?

Movie and TV show naming is INCREDIBLY important to get your media identified correctly. For TV shows, make sure that you're looking it up on TVDB and naming it exactly the same. For movies, I make sure to name the folder with the year the movie was released and it's cut down on those problems by a huge margin. MovieName (Year) is what I use, and then I tell XBMC to search by folder name.

Emulators are tricky beasts, even if Advanced Launcher makes it relatively easy to customize. For me, none of the default arguments in AL worked to my satisfaction. I looked up the arguments I wanted for each emulator and configured them manually. I really liked the way it pulled metadata, that stuff was really easy.

There's nothing really like XBMC besides maybe Meedio (:lol:), Media Portal, or Plex. I doubt any of them will meet your needs, though. I've never heard of anyone needing subtitle settings for individual movie, for example. Not saying it's an invalid request, just that it probably isn't a common request.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Volkerball posted:

I've really tried to like XBMC on my PC because it's the nicest looking of any media player I've seen, but it's so broken. It constantly deletes titles from my library and straight up won't read some things in my Movies folder, even if it will open them from file explorer. Not to mention the hours of struggle spent just trying to get it to recognize TV shows in vain. Advanced launcher never seemed to figure out how to open files through an emulator. I mean, it's nice because it's a lot easier to set up subtitles and audio while you're watching, but it doesn't save settings for each individual movie, ensuring a hassle every time I watch anything. It might be the least intuitive software I've ever seen. The most basic, take for granted poo poo you can think of is completely convoluted in ways that just make me shake my head. Glad some of you guys like it, but I literally can not understand how to use it in a way that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time. I think I'm just gonna uninstall it. Anyone have any suggestions for something more user friendly?

Sounds like you do not have your movies and TV shows named and organized in a way that XBMC can recognize them.

For movies, each movie should be in it's own folder and the folder should be named like:

\movies\Ghostbusters (1984)\

The files inside can have what ever name you want them to have, but I usually match them to the folder name.

See more here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Naming_files/Movies

TV shows should be stored in a separate directory from your movies. Each show should be in it's own folder and each season should be in a sub folder.

\TV\The Big Bang Theory\Season 01\

The eisodes them selves can be named a couple different ways, but I use the format:

\The Big Bang Theory - 1x02 - The Big Bran Hypothesis.mkv

You are probably using TheTVDB.com as your TV info scrapper. You need to make sure that your episodes match theirs. Some shows have different DVD episode orders than their air orders (like Farscape and Firefly). Then you have shows like American Dad that have different season numbers depending on who you ask.

It's a lot to work to get your library organized like this, but it really pays off.

XBMC is not always the easiest thing to get working, but it is very very powerful and very customization. You do have to be willing to work with it to get it how you want it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Volkerball posted:

I mean, it's nice because it's a lot easier to set up subtitles and audio while you're watching, but it doesn't save settings for each individual movie, ensuring a hassle every time I watch anything.

The other guys addressed just about everything else, but what exactly is it that you are trying to save here? XBMC should save individual settings for any file you tinkered with the settings while playing except for maybe audio settings, and it allows you to set global playback settings while playing something as well.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I had over 4tb of content spanning over 300 movies and more then 20 complete series, plus other miscellaneous files. I haven't set xbmc on my anime yet, but both movies and TV shows were taken without any hitches. I used tiny media manager to automatically rename my files and grab metadata. It failed on one multi-cd file and it disliked a folder that had a few old movies in the same directory. Other than that it was basically a few hours to configure the files in TMM and then I just pointed xbmc at the directories and it found everything perfectly. I'd give my mother an xbmc solution, provided I had remote management to add and rename new media for her.

In short, handle the media management externally from xbmc and you should not have any worries unless you're doing something incredibly exotic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Richard M Nixon posted:

In short, handle the media management externally from xbmc and you should not have any worries unless you're doing something incredibly exotic.

You only have to make sure stuff is named correctly and XBMC does a fine job of getting metadata.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Adding years helped. I have some movies in folders, some not, some with the years listed, some not. It's a cluttered mess, but XBMC picked up a few and left a few from every type of way that files were saved, so I had no idea what the deal was.

evilalien posted:

The other guys addressed just about everything else, but what exactly is it that you are trying to save here? XBMC should save individual settings for any file you tinkered with the settings while playing except for maybe audio settings, and it allows you to set global playback settings while playing something as well.

It gives me the option to save settings for all files once I have dialed them in for the movie I'm watching. So any time you save something, it reverts to that as the default for all movies or something. I don't know. It doesn't remember how things were set when I last watched a movie. :shrug: Not a big deal, but being able to maneuver through subtitle/audio settings was the biggest pro over WMP for me aside from looking really clean, and even that can be a pain sometimes. I'll play around with it some more. Luckily I don't have too much crap to sort through. Still have issues with skins and playback, but that's a problem for another day. Don't think I'll be taking a stab at advanced launcher again, though. Thanks for the help guys.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

It gives me the option to save settings for all files once I have dialed them in for the movie I'm watching. So any time you save something, it reverts to that as the default for all movies or something. I don't know. It doesn't remember how things were set when I last watched a movie. :shrug:

Don't apply the settings to all files unless that is what you want to do. You don't have to do anything for it to remember individual settings for whatever file you are playing.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
+ are you sure the files you think are getting deleted are actually getting deleted from the library and that its not just hiding episodes/movies that you have watched?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

MeKeV posted:

+ are you sure the files you think are getting deleted are actually getting deleted from the library and that its not just hiding episodes/movies that you have watched?

This is a very important distinction. Many skins hide things that have been watched by default.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I have a Harmony remote set up as an MCE keyboard to control XBMC, and I can't figure out how to set it up so the numbers act like a T9 keyboard to make finding items in a list easier. I used to be able to do this but I've had to change the remote setup and now I don't know how to get it to work. Having the numbers correspond to actual numbers doesn't seem to work. Anybody have any idea?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have a Harmony remote set up as an MCE keyboard to control XBMC, and I can't figure out how to set it up so the numbers act like a T9 keyboard to make finding items in a list easier. I used to be able to do this but I've had to change the remote setup and now I don't know how to get it to work. Having the numbers correspond to actual numbers doesn't seem to work. Anybody have any idea?

Are you talking about being able to press 5 twice to be able to jump to movies beginning with k for example? Having your remote send numbers is correct, but you also need to modify your keymap.xml to translate the numbers to jumpsms commands in the appropriate sections. You need to add the following to your keymap.xml to all of the various library secions.
code:
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
You can also try FilterSMS instead if you prefer to filter instead of jump around the lists.

If you just want SMS style text entry then this should suffice: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Enable_SMS-text_entry

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason why XBMC and Netflix haven't cooperated with eachother and got some sort of API system set up. Didn't Boxee have Netflix support built in? That was just a XBMC port, why can't the main branch get it running?

Also does anyone know if when using an HDHomerun Prime is it possible to run three concurrent sessions of television. As in three different rooms watching different shows at the same time over the network. I don't plan on using it as a DVR. I can get one user to use it via computer easily. I have access to a computer and a Raspberry Pi for TV usage so I'm covered. The third user would be a loving pain in the rear end all around but I think I could force the issue if it meant getting rid of the equipment surcharges from Comcast.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 25, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

YouTuber posted:

Is there any reason why XBMC and Netflix haven't cooperated with eachother and got some sort of API system set up. Didn't Boxee have Netflix support built in? That was just a XBMC port, why can't the main branch get it running?

Boxee has closed source plug ins which means Netflix can make a plug in for boxee that Netflix can feel is secure because it includes there DRM.

Xbmc only does plug ins using python scripts which don't do anything beyond grab a stream which is not encrypted.

Xbmc really needs to get a closed source plugin system. I think it would be cool if they used Android's dalvik VM as their plug in system but that's probably a lot of work.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

If they ever allow executable plugins that are closed-source they could but don't hold your breath. In addition to the major philosophical objections held by many core devs to this approach it would also likely have limited platform support which is another sticking point. They have enough headaches already with regular Python-based addons not working right on all platforms.

Then there's all the headaches with that approach in general - no way it'd use the built-in player, so it'd have it's own, and you'd have remote mapping headaches and other poo poo just like you do now with the unofficial attempts. Even if an "official" Netflix app is supported one day it's very doubtful it will integrate in to the full library like Boxee did - expect it to be a glorified shortcut, at best. Boxee may have used a lot of core XBMC elements but in most other ways it was a night and day difference - I mean, even Mediaportal has some core XBMC stuff left in it, and it's otherwise as different as could be. As is Plex, etc.

Add in that it's a free platform supported by free time and the core team really doesn't give much of a poo poo about Netflix, marketshare, etc and.....yeah, don't hold your breath.

I mean, it could happen. Maybe. Meantime buy a Roku or an Apple TV. Or use the Netflix app built in to literally every Smart TV sold (granted, a lot of the latter implementation sucks).

YouTuber posted:

Also does anyone know if when using an HDHomerun Prime is it possible to run three concurrent sessions of television. As in three different rooms watching different shows at the same time over the network. I don't plan on using it as a DVR. I can get one user to use it via computer easily. I have access to a computer and a Raspberry Pi for TV usage so I'm covered. The third user would be a loving pain in the rear end all around but I think I could force the issue if it meant getting rid of the equipment surcharges from Comcast.

Yes but that really has nothing to do with XBMC itself and everything to do with whatever backend server you are using to actually tune, etc. Live TV in XBMC is just a client.

I run a two-tuner XBMC setup in my house to 3 TV's now using ArgusTV as a backend with two Collossus capture cards. It works, but I probably wouldn't do it again. In my case I have to have the cable boxes anyway.

Might be ok if you just want to go the tuner route and watch local channels, then you'd save some money in the long run. It's really not that great though - channel changes are slower, scheduled recording inside XBMC itself sucks so you need a backend that has a good web client (like Argus), etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Merry Christmas! Here's Frodo 12.3:

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-12-3-frodo-fixes/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Thats a suprise. Given that I was expecting them to get 13.0 out soon.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys. Merry Christmas to all. I gave my fiance an Ipad for christmas and was looking for an iOS app similar to Yatse. That is to say, a really good remote control PLUS the ability to play stuff from the XBMC setup locally on the tablet through UPnP. Any suggestions?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got a new receiver and now I don't have that annoying pause when going from XBMC sounds to movie/TV show sounds. I don't know what black magic this is, but I love it. :D

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Has anyone that uses PseudoTV Live had any interaction with it's developer, Lunatixz? Am I out of line thinking he's a complete rear end and is sabotaging his own efforts?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok the OP was last updated in February and says XBMC Android devices are "pretty new", that was almost a year ago... I am looking at this guy, an A9 powered 4.2 android device for about $100 shipped, with a "no questions asked, even if you tried to root it and bricked it" warranty

If I just want to do Netflix + VLC type XBMC stuff is this a somewhat mature technology now? Or am I going to be sorely dissapointed. For $100 I can get an A9 powered Android device with and for $200 I can get an A9 powered chromebook running Ubuntu with HDMI out.

Or should I just do as Don Lapre says and just buy a Roku box?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hadlock posted:

Ok the OP was last updated in February and says XBMC Android devices are "pretty new", that was almost a year ago... I am looking at this guy, an A9 powered 4.2 android device for about $100 shipped, with a "no questions asked, even if you tried to root it and bricked it" warranty

If anyone wants to give me a rundown on new Android devices, I'll add it to the OP. I was under the impression they still weren't up to par yet.

(this goes for anything in the OP btw)

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

For what it's worth, I have only been able to get XBMC working on my (2013) Nexus 7 by using recent nightlies, and those are hit or miss, but I did find a build from about a week ago that worked well and let me stream 1080p MKVs with hardware decoding. 12.3 does not work at all on it, so it's back to nightlies for me I guess.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

If I just want to do Netflix + VLC type XBMC stuff is this a somewhat mature technology now? Or am I going to be sorely dissapointed. For $100 I can get an A9 powered Android device with and for $200 I can get an A9 powered chromebook running Ubuntu with HDMI out.

Or should I just do as Don Lapre says and just buy a Roku box?

Buy a Roku, XBMC Android is still a tinker's fantasy and Netflix doesn't work well with those builds anyway. When it comes to Netflix your best bet is to run it on poo poo they want you to run it on the way they want you to run it.

I use XBMC on every tv in my house and have for years but even I don't gently caress around with Netflix or most other streaming poo poo on it, there's too many cheap devices out there that do a better job. Hell, if you just want Netflix, HBO Go, Youtube, etc the ChromeCast is just $35 and does a great job.

For that matter it runs Plex too if you want to pony up for a PlexPass.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
My XBMC has stopped auto updating the TV/Movie libraries for no reason and I did not realize how much I relied on the 'latest shows' feature.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Twiin posted:

My XBMC has stopped auto updating the TV/Movie libraries for no reason and I did not realize how much I relied on the 'latest shows' feature.

Auto updating? There is no such thing or is it? Only way for my library to be auto updated is when the download is finished it is updated by SickBeard.
If the box is offline when that happens no update occurs for me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've got XBMC running on a PC which works fine, and an Apple TV 2 which is unjailbroken that I use for Netflix.

If i jailbreak my AppleTV and install XBMC will I notice any downsides or miss anything from my current setup?

And, once jailbroken with XBMC, does XBMC just show up as an additonal 'app' in the interface?

edit: Found all the answers I need at

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_iOS_specific_FAQ

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Le0 posted:

Auto updating? There is no such thing or is it? Only way for my library to be auto updated is when the download is finished it is updated by SickBeard.
If the box is offline when that happens no update occurs for me.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update